Sketchbook: Purplegoat's Sketchbook: A Complete Beginner - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Marian - I had never worked with charcoal until now, so it is new to me. I like it although I'm trying to stick to pencil mainly for learning the fundamentals. In the one class we are using everything (charcoal, Conté Crayons, graphite sticks)but pencil right now which is exposing me to different media which I may not have touched for awhile otherwise. Thanks for the feedback!

Gamerhomie - the last two are done with a #2 pencil and the objects are white, so they are not drawn too dark in reality, but darker than what the picture shows. I'm going to try to get better contrast when I post the final of the WIP. I have those two Loomis books you mention. I may start one of them soon since I am exploring figure drawing now. Thanks for looking as my sketchbook!

-------

Below are some feet and hand drawings. They include gesture, angles and planes covered in a tutorial.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    My Sketchbook

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -- Confucius
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    good work so far. i would try to learn from the ground up how the anatomy is structured. loomis and vilppu are good for this, you can find them for free on scribd.

Thanks
    Liffey - Seems like Loomis is highly recommended around here for figure drawing. I'm going to start Figure Drawing for All It's Worth and sprinkle some studies in with the other stuff I'm doing. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - Some organic peanut shapes, eyes and nose from imagination
    2 - Stack of boxes done in class
    3 - Loomis mannikin, proportions
    4 - Chair drawing for class (WIP)
    5 - Photo of chair from drawing board perspective

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    1- finished rendering... well finished as it's gonna get, movin' on
    2 - 4 Loomis

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Finished chair drawing. Self crit - The perspective is off on the chair a litte and the steps and landing to the right as well. Getting a good range of values was tough. I tried to include black, mid tones and white and worked the contrast as much as I could without making it look too unatural.

Lessons learned - Pay closer attention to perspective, more experience with charcoal under my belt may help in later charcoal drawings, take your time to observe closely the different values and determine what is darker/lighter, be careful of diretion of shading strokes as they can jump out at the viewer if no t consistent (i.e. the wall above the chair), using finger or paper towel really smudges charcoal giving it a different look. Thick charcoal layers DO NOT erase ratherthey smear.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Some studies of the head and face.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    1- more Loomis
    2 - hand and pencil sharpener from life
    3- hands from life
    4- self portrait from mirror (about 25 minutes)

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow. It's taken you a few months, to get a handle on techniques that have eluded me for many years.

Well done, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    gestures (from pictures), negative space drawings, one point perspective study (hallway from life), self portrait

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    WIP - drawn from a cast

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    You're getting better already keep it up.
    A few quick notes though. With the ellipse perspective trick sighting the distance from the closest to farthest point of the ellipse will help you block in the square you want to base the curve on. On the same subject, try to make your horizon line the actual horizon room from whatever you're drawing. If you don't know how I can check back and tell you or you can probably find it online too. Now to another subject XD I'm happy to see you trying to figure out how to simplify the human form to draw. That said, the sort of ubiquitous "learn to draw in ten easy steps" way you're approaching it I found more a hindrance than a help. The problem is that it makes your figures very stiff, there's no energy in them and you can't really see a weight in their pose. I found that using a gesture was a much more effective way to start drawing the figure. You use long strokes from foot to head, shoulder it hand that not only block in the proportion of the limbs to one another but don't stiffen your drawing. The last suggestion I have is that you stop drawing what you think you should see and draw what you actually see. Don't take that the wrong way though, you're making great progress and with a allot of things I can tell you're looking very closely at the form and recording it to the best of your abilities. The stuff I'm talking about is limited to a few areas, notably the eyes. On all your faces you're drawing the "correct eyes" and it doesn't look real because it's not, try looking a little closer when you do a face again and I think you'll find the resulting shape changes for the better. Best of luck

I have nothing interesting to say but here's my sketchbook, perhaps you'll think I've drawn something interesting XD http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167964

13. The Following User Says Thank You to strange1900 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Strange pretty much hits the nail on the head. Some great advice in there.

Good start on your SB! Keep it up ;D.

Thanks
    Hey Purplegoat, you have a pretty good sketchbook going on. It's always nice to see someone starting from scratch in my opinion, it gives you a better view of the progress and especially in the beginning the improvement can be huge. Some of your studies are looking really good already, and I'm curious to see where you will be in about 2 years or even 2 months from now

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Strange - I'll keep that ellipse advice in mind on future drawings. I'm slowly absorbing the ins and outs of perspective, hopefully as time goes on I'll improve at it. Concerning gesture drawing: the one class I'm in I will be doing figure drawing from a live model using gesture. That should help loosen me up! I have watched some Vilppu clips so I've got a good idea of how gestures are done now. I have done a few self portraits since reading your crit. And I must say that you were right, my eyes are different than how I was drawing them before. I think the newer drawings are more true to reality.

Blondebeard & Armonah - Thanks! I feel like I've made some decent progress since I've started. Of course I have a lot of room for improvement.

------

- Self portraits
    - Negative space
    - First time messing around with ink and brush, apples from lfe, still life
    - Rendering of cast WIP

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey PG I can't believe how many studies you're doing. It's great to see all the different things you've been trying. Your cast drawing looks like its coming on well and I can see the improvement with your self portraits. Well done you for staying so motivated.

Thanks
    Marian - Thanks!

1 & 2 - Sketchbook stuff
    Name:  img062.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  img063.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  116.3 KB

3 & 4 - Ink with brush from life
    Name:  IMGP0893.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  186.1 KB

Name:  IMGP0901.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  207.1 KB

5 - Final of cast drawing
    Name:  IMGP12344.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  246.8 KB

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    It's been awhile since my last update, I have been drawing but not as much as I'd like. Last two classes of the course we had a nude model. So we did a lot of gestures (30 seconds, 1 minutes) and one longer pose (30 minutes).

Been drawing things around the house too.

I attempted to walk around and sketch stuff outside like a bridge and a tree because the weather has been nice. I say atttempted because I didn't really get into it because many people were out and about and I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I'd like to try it againto get more comfortable. There are a lot of sweet things around here to sketch! Also I'd like to try skecthing people in public sometime.

A lot of the gestures here were done with the instruction to find the action of the model and not to worry about proportion and accuracy. The guy teaching this class was a stand in for the usual teacher and he teaches dynamic figure drawing drawing primarily. We burned through so many poses. I felt worn out at the end. It was fun though! Not sure I ever caught the essence or action.

The one long pose I did a gesture first then working out the proportions realized I was way off. I had time to get the proportions relatively well I think.

Drawing the corner of my living room really helped me with perspective. I was a little tired and did the left side wall incorrectly. I came back the next day and figured out what was wrong and was able to fix it.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey PG I can see you've been busy. I know exactly how you feel about the drawing in public. I do feel so self conscious that I end up doing nothing really. I always take my sketchbook with me but actually drawing is difficult. I guess we will just have to be braver I think capturing the action and gesture is also something so hard to do although I can see it in some of yours and you are making some nice marks with the charcoal. The last drawing of your long pose looks really good so I think all your hard work is paying off.

Thanks
    Marian - Thanks for the positive feedback! I made it outside today and skecthed a stage at a local park which was fun.

I know that I'm still learning the fundamentals and it shows. But I've looked at where I was just 5 months ago and feel I have made some decent progress since then. Starting from "zero" only leaves room for improvement or stagnation and I feel like I've steadily improved which fuels my motivation to keep on.

The reality of it is that I have a long way to go before I'll be satisfied with my "work". Everything right now is a "study" rather than a finished piece. Well, there were several pieces that are "finished works" but not something I conceived of and executed from beginning to end. I'm thinking it is almost time to start a piece from concept to completion. Not something too complicated but something challenging yet doable. I'll have to dwell on that.

I'm starting an instructed figure drawing class (intoductory) in a couple of weeks. Then in about a month and a half I start another one and an open (uninstructed) figure drawing session. So I have lots of figure drawing practice ahead of me.

I'm throwing myself into the deep end of the pool. I really need to submerge myself in the waters of figure drawing in order to learn. That's how I learn best, the trial by fire method. My goal is to be able to internalize proportions, be able to produce decent gesture drawings, learn more about anatomy and rendering. Also i hope to develop my aesthetic senses further.

Here is some stuff I did today, all from life
    1- an external hard drive
    2- went outside and sketched this stage in the park
    3- coffee table top and items
    4- my boot, didn't take it too far but got the bigger shapes

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Started a figure drawing class two weeks ago. It is an instructed class but the two classes so far have been the students just drawing the figure to their best abilities with their chosen medium. Below are the results of those two classes.

I basically spent the 3 hours each class working and reworking the figure to get the proportions better.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Been busy drawing and with other things. I've done a lot more than I'm going to upload today but don't want to spend too much time photographing and scanning.

Taking two instructed figure drawing classes and one open figure drawing class. Hopefully this will help accelerate my learning.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey PG great progress with your figure drawing. I can see good improvement all round with your still lifes. Better observation, perspective, shading and I can see you are getting to grips with ellipses. Well done for working hard I'm sure with all the figure drawing classes you will be taking you will progress really quickly. Won't be long before your be drawing like the pro's .

Thanks
    Marian - Thanks for stopping by and looking. i appreciate the feedback.

Here are some from tonight's non-instructed figure drawing class.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    From life, stuff around the house

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    1-7 Two minute gesture drawing warmups
    8-10 Five minute drawings
    11 -12 Thirty minute drawings
    13-14 Forty five minute drawings, same pose

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Some stuff from life today

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    some 3 minute warm ups and 20 and 30 minute poses.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Nice effort and I can see the improvement from the start of your sketchbook. I need to get more consistent on my studies. I don't think I've made as much progress in the same amount of time as you have.

Don't be skittish on hands and feet. You got little hands on everyone like you're skittish about drawing them (which just about everyone and their mom seems to do in life drawing). Go after the bastards even if you get them wrong.

Thanks
    Still life WIP

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey PG the studies are looking good. I like the look of this latest still life and I think it is excellent practice to do. The ellipse on the cup looks good and so does the bottle/cannister shape. I'm not so sure about the dumbells though. It may be that you are drawing from a different angle then the photo was taken but they look a bit distorted, either too high or not wide enough I think. Great progress though I look forward to seeing the next update.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.