Portfolio Reviews and Master Crits...OFFICIAL CRIT WEEK STARTS MONDAY!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,988 Times in 2,554 Posts

Portfolio Reviews and Master Crits...OFFICIAL CRIT WEEK STARTS MONDAY!

Most of you know about crit week. Normally it is just a good group of us volunteering in the crit center. Thanks for those who do. Well we are going to continue doing that and turn up the heat a bunch. We have to continually raise funds to keep this site free (It is reaching uber expensive to run btw...) and we want the things we do to raise those funds to come back as badass stuff to do with the educational programs here. The biggest event we have had on the site is about to begin.

Here is the info from the other thread in the live streaming forums:

An Artist’s portfolio represents their capabilities at all levels, from the student entering an Art and Design College to the successful professional working in their chosen field who is striving to always grow. A students biggest challenge when trying to get into art school or get their dream job, their dream gallery, or just a foot in the door, is knowing what to do with their portfolio. Approximately 90 percent of students leaving art school are doing so unprepared. Many take six months or more after school to resolve the portfolio problem. Those chasing scholarships face challenges with their portfolios exactly the same way. As a professional, the portfolio must continually evolve in order for the artist to continue to reach their goals and get where they want to be with their career. Even as professionals, getting input is key to moving forward. The information obstacles must be overcome for artists of all levels in order for success to come as quickly as possible, and for us all to improve.

ConceptArt.Org is bringing together a group of leading artists from some of the hottest entertainment companies, independent illustrators, fine artists, game artists, graphic novel, and film professionals together to help. Beginning Monday Nov 1st you will have your chance to hear the truth about your work, and answers to set you in the center of your path. You choose who you want to spend one on one time with, showcasing your best work right here on conceptart.org and getting the straight truth.

Need direction? Need opportunity? There will be both. Artists from companies like Valve, id software, Massive Black, and The Illustration Academy’s faculty are on hand to make sure you get what you need to move your life forward. Need a break? Need to focus?

Attendees will be of both student and professional groups, as well as hobbyists with just a mild interest in it all. However, when you bring a group like this together, and you make a splash, you are tapping into a very deep connection pool. Marko Djurdjevic was discovered on ConceptArt.Org. You can be too! Just need advice? Yeah, there is plenty of that on the way. Best part is, you can watch the entire period you select, meaning you get to see what they say about others works too from your team of instructors.

Want to get your portfolio reviewed? You can do that.

Want to see others portfolio reviews? You can do that too.

Want both? You can do that too!

Want to see all of them? You can do that too!!

Artists often learn best while hearing and seeing what teachers say about others works. There is less of an ego hit when it is not of your own soul, idea or hand. Make it easy on yourself. Get your portfolio reviewed. Take the hard truth told in constructive and motivating fashion, and then sit back and formulate your own ideas about the discussion on others works, and the art itself. You will learn, and that is no joke.

Portfolio Reviews will be by:

Wes Burt – Massive Black

Coro Kaufman – Massive Black

Andrea Wicklund – Valve Software

Sterling Hundley – Award Winning Illustrator

Carl Dobsky – Established Fine Artist and Founder – The Next Gen Atelier

Brent Watkinson –Award Winning Illustrator

George Pratt – Award Winning Illustrator and Comic Artist

Jason Manley - Massive Black

Anita Kunz – Award Winning Illustrator

Jon Foster – Award Winning Illustrator

Brett Briley - id software

and more!

***This professional portfolio review team is here to answer your questions and go over your works. Seats are limited. This will sell out.

How does it work? We are streaming the portfolio reviews right from the forums themselves using LiveStream. All reviews are recorded and you may watch your chosen sessions at the time of your choosing. You don’t have to be there live. You can let it record and come back and see for yourself. Have a question or two and can’t make it live? Just post the questions you have in your thread and they will be answered. You can watch again, including those of your art review team slot where you see the reviews of your peers for the next fourteen days.

----------------------------------------

Where:
    Post your portfolio in the designated forum(s) and make your very own thread with your five best images in it. You can find the forums here:

PORFOLIO REVIEW WEEK

When:
    Artists reviewers can be chosen by submitting a reply to the thread for the review team of your choice, which you will get access to through the shop. Instructions on how to post your portfolio and what to put in will be posted in the general area.

Monday 2 - El Coro and Sterling Hundley
    Tuesday 3 - Jason Manley and Anita Kunz
    Wednesday 4 - Wes Burt and George Pratt
    Thursday 5 - Andrea Wicklund and Whit Brachna
    Friday 6 - Jon Foster and Carl Dobsky
    Saturday 7- Brett Briley and Jason Manley

How Much:

* 10 USD gets you access to any one three hour session for viewing, if you are not ready to show your own work.
    * 40 USD for the review of your works, by your chosen instructor team plus access to your chosen session to see the reviews by others.
    * 50 USD gets you access to all review sessions for viewing. Hear every single instructor talk about all the students and professionals works. Learn from everyone!
    * 75 USD gets you two portfolio review sessions, with the two instructor teams of your choice and viewing access to both full sessions so you can analyze the reviews of others.
    * 150 USD gets you portfolio reviews by all professional teams, each and every day. This is a savings of 50 dollars. You can see it all, hear it all, and watch it all at the time of your choosing.

Tuition can be covered here: http://www.conceptartstore.com/pore.html

Why: Because you want to learn from those who actually did what you are setting out to do, and that is be successful with their very own work, no matter the style or direction of focus. If you are a professional, hearing the truth from outside perspectives can give you the boost you need to get to the next level.

Why else: Because ConceptArt.Org needs your support to make this the best place to learn art that you have found anywhere online, or in the real world. Our new 4.0 technology is coming along extremely well and the educational tools are going into place. There are a ton of features going into this community and when done it will be, by far, the best educational, professional, and creative portal online and it is all for your use to achieve your goals and see your work to success. Best part is, the whole base of new tech is going to be FREE. We are doing a very good thing here and we are hugely thankful for the support. It cannot happen without you, or our instructors, whom we are thankful are joining us too.

See you soon

If you are interested in the upcoming Art Department Educational Program, http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=172141&page=8 you can get the real info you can use regarding your portfolio to go beyond the normal portfolio information guidelines. This is the straight truth on what you need to personally do to not only get in, but also what you can do on your own to go after the full ride and partial ride scholarships. This is a worthy show. Those that miss will be falling behind already.

Jason

Last edited by yoitisi; October 31st, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: A little tiny spell check :)
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I.. what.. .. ... uh.. this is awesome.
    Edit: Just noticed, Gary Kelley isn't in the teams. But the other artists are still awesome.

Last edited by Kiera; October 30th, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
    I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    All right! This is great. I'm gonna go with the $ 50 option

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    I.. what.. .. ... uh.. this is awesome.
    Edit: Just noticed, Gary Kelley isn't in the teams. But the other artists are still awesome.
    Silly me at six am....We were talking about Gary and it was Sterling Hundley who had that time slot. I put Sterling in there. All fixed!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kiera- Sorry to disappoint, but it's just me!

Jason- no worries. Gary will get a good kick out of the mistake.

I'm looking forward to the reviews on Monday!

Thanks
    Jason-

Great job putting all of this together!

This is a great opportunity for students to get the goods from some very special artists. It is critical for students to put themselves in a situation that they can learn from the industry. Students and professionals need a venue to engage with other artist so that they can receive constructive criticism. I developed The Illustration Academy over 15 years ago so students could have such a place. To my surprise, it has also become a place for the faculty to share their work and receive constructive criticism from other faculty members (and students). Every year I leave our summer program a little tired, but at my best, ready to explore what I have learned.

A big part of living your life as an artist and pursuing art as a career is connecting to the industry. Finding a way to get real and accurate information has always been a struggle. What Jason is putting together with next weeks portfolio reviews is a terrific way to bring students and professionals together.

I suggest that any student that is participating keep an open mind, try not to be defensive and pay attention to the other students reviews. Also, I think you will be amazed with how consistent the instructors are with their suggestions and opinions. To me, this is proof that the information these and other successful artists possess, is acquired knowledge.

There is very little mystery in learning art when you are being delivered accurate information, it is hard work and acquired knowledge. The real mystery is where to get the best information!

Good luck!

John

Thanks
    Since I started taking art seriously I've only done studies and master copies. So, everyone of my recent works are studies and master copies. Do you guys think it's worth receiving professional feedback from studies and not original work?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    I now know Coro's real name!!!!! Sweet, time to update the folder.

I'd participate but I know I suck, and I remember some good advice you've already said - don't ask for a crit till you don't know yourself what's wrong. When I can no longer see the problems with my work, I'll bother you. Till then, keep rockin!

Thanks
    Ok this might be a stupid question.

I really don't have the money right now for things like this (although its really cheap, and I don't want to complain about the prices). But if I read this correct, I'm still able to post my portfolio with a question and get it answered in my thread (which I would have to make in the portfolio review week section right ? )

Sry if I'm not making sence !

(and once again I'm not complaining about the prices they are good )

Thanks

Thumbs up Live Portfolio Reviews

Although many are far superior in concept art then myself, I feel that critics all, come from personal and very subjective points of view. I think anyone surviving the current economic climate is a winner! Art that is accepted and PAID for is always the best. Just my view you understand. I believe this to be a great opportunity for all however to share and grow for sure. I applaud those participating.

Thanks
    awezome bunch of ppl u guys gathered up for this. great work and...well...thanks ^,^

Thanks
    An amazing opportunity! Looking forward to trying this....

Thanks
    Let me see if I got this right. Starting tomorrow, everyone will be able to post their portfolios in this thread and get critiques? Or is each person going to have to create a thread for their own portfolio?

Thanks
    Lura, Jason put a link to the forums where you can put up your portfolios, in the first post!

Yet again, another thing I can't be part of. Ugh, I may never get reviews on my portfolio... >_< This opportunity sounds so good! *sigh* Maybe if there's a next time I can, or if I can actually use a credit card.

Thanks
    wonderful! we need even that, nice initiative.

"God is my inspiration."

Sketchbook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Hundley View Post
    Kiera- Sorry to disappoint, but it's just me!
    ah yes, just you, a famous award winning illustrator with amazing art and years of experience in art and teaching

()

I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Sadly, I can't currently pay for the reviews... Do you guys plan on doing this again sometime?

Thanks
    Oooh I'm so on this. The big buzoonga one, too. All 6, how can I not pass this up with never stepping into art school? This is sometimes the only chance we get, those of us who cannot go to school.

Put up the link already! I wanna pay and post

Am I correct in assuming that if we purchase the $150 for all 6 days we post in each thread separately? I can't wait!

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Hi I would love to sign up for the $40 option but embarrassed to say that I have trouble navigating the site. I was wondering how I would pay and post my work for the friday crit.
    Stephen

Thanks
    This is gonna be rad! thanks,but i dont have a portfolio ready..still learning the basics.
    However,i would love to pay 50/75 in the future. assuming this is not a temporary thing.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Lura: Sorry, the link to the CA shop was added in the original post somewhere else on the forums but not here. I updated the post up there but to navigate to the shop go here:

http://www.conceptartstore.com/pore.html

To upload your portfolio, go to the subforum and follow the instructions in the post in the general section please. You can find the subsection here:

Portfolio Review Week

Hope that helps

Thanks
    I got the $150 package, does this mean I need to make 6 posts from monday to friday?
    Just making sure I'm crystal on the posting instructions.
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Oh my god this is too much. I almost want to cry (in a good way). I need this! Now to figure out what I can afford.

Thanks
    Hey Jason! Really awesom what you guys are doing for the concept art community. We are proud of what you have accomplished with CA and I am sure each one of us will do what they can so you guys can keep doing what you're doing..

Hey Sterling! Thanks again for all the great comments on my piece over at the WIP thread. Can't wait for your critique with El Coro on Monday! Cheers from Athens, Greece!!

Thanks
    The Password that I downloaded for El Coro and Sterling Hundley isn't working. I am using Firefox on a Mac. I'll try Safari and see if that works. I do have cookies enabled!

EDIT: Safari doesn't work either!

Last edited by Nerahla; October 31st, 2009 at 03:15 PM.
    “It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

Thanks
    yeah. Zack is resetting them. Will have it up shortly. Will update the forums at that time.

thanks for the patience.

Jason

Thanks
    Just purchased all 6 days. Wow. What an amazing opportunity.

Hmm. Now to find the 5 images that I want to show.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks

Sounds great, but..

This is super cool and I thank you so much for putting something like this together.. The only problem is that I really want to have my portfolio looked over but just recently finished a 3 month, full-time, and unpaid internship. Leaving me with no extra money and I know 40$ isn't that much, but for someone that can barely afford rent :/

Do I, and others like me, have any options? Thanks.

Dillon Ryan - 3D Environment Artist
    www.DillonRyan.net
    DillonRyan@ymail.com

Thanks
    Something Sterling mentioned in another thread bears repeating. If you watch and listen to the critiques of others you will get more out of this. Quite a lot of the information, as Jason mentioned also, will be somewhat repetitive at times. This is because a lot of people are going to be having the same issues. If you listen, you might find that the information applies to a lot of what you are struggling with.

And John English mentions not being defensive. I've done lots of portfolio reviews when attending San Diego ComiCon and various other conventions and quite often you find that the person pushing the portfolio under your nose doesn't want constructive criticism at all, they're just looking for a pat on the back and want to be treated like someone who's been in the business for 20 years. They get incredibly defensive and sometimes even belligerent and then stalk off. And it's obvious they weren't listening to a word that was being said. It's sad.

So don't take is personally, it's about the art. Yes it's your art and letting others see it can sometimes hurt, but this is about getting better at what you want to do with the rest of your life. Take the lumps and toughen up that hide. You'll be better for it. No one is looking to hurt anyone. We all just want to make your work the best it can possibly be.

Anyway, looking forward to the reviews!

George

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to George Pratt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3