Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Art-sy people piss me off

At my school, theres a group of "art-sy" people. These people think they're great artists and brag about it, but they suck ass. They think that you have to wear all black, sunglasses, dye your hair more then 4 colors a week to be good at art. One of these kids doesn't like too much. She thinks I don't appreciate art. I'd be cool with them if they kept to themselves and left me and other kids alone. She also rants about me wearing abercombie and fitch. She says I'm a sell-out (Whatever that is). So, I'm drawing in art class the other day. I was drawing random doodles on the paper. She comes up and says:
    "You need more compisition in your drawing."
    "Oh, I was just doodlin--"
    "It doesn't matter, you need more compsition."
    "Um...but I'm just doodling, I don't think its fit for critisim."
    "Everything can be critised." (She said something like that. Shes just trying to make herself seem "deep".)
    "Okay, I just don't care then. I don't want to hear what you have to say. Just go away."
    "Thats why your ignorant."
    "Your not even good at art, so just go away. I'm not going to be preached to by someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about."
    "Yeah, whatever." ( <--sign of my victory! Whatever always means that I'm right.)

Not all "art-sy" people piss me off. If they know what they're talking about, and they're being helpful. Thats cool, I like people like that.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Don't let it get to you man. There are going to be people like that for the rest of your life. You can actually have some fun with it should you be so inclined. You can learn from anyone, even if it's what not to do.

Thanks
    Maybe she was just trying to be friendly, pointing at you something that was worth looking into. Maybe she was trying to help you.Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we'll never know.
    Maybe I'm using"maybe" too much.Maybe yes,maybe no.
    Just think for a moment. Maybe.

Thanks
    It's funny how they think you're a conformist by wearing A&F and then they go and all dress alike.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    Critisim can be good from all angles even if you dont' agree with it at the time.

The best way to get someone off your case is to say 'i'll take the into consideration, thank you.' Rather than making a scene.

I felt the same as you did awhile back about my earlier work, but now when i look at back my work and the critisim given, i wish i was less numb and more open to what people were saying.

Thanks
    In my teens I entered some pieces for local youth art exihibition. A couple of days before the exihibit a local newspaper did an artical on it. In this artical there was a picture of one of my pieces and a commentary on it for not being "real art" (don't remember the exact word this was a long time ago).

The pieces I had entered were some comic pages and some pinup girls... (and they where better than most of the art that was showed)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    I've had similar experiences here. Artsy people here usually just tend to be inconsiderate snobs. They use your stuff without asking, not that I mind sharing, but they act as if they have more right to it than you because they consider themselves as part of this elite click of devinely inspired visionaries...then they end up painting a couple of squigly lines and call it perfect. Btw, because I can't appreciate that, that makes me the ignorant one. God forbid they actually make something that looks like something or has relevent meaning. Personally, I think modern art is a cop out. They want so much to be original and do something that no one's ever done so they do something that no one would ever WANT to do. Now I'm a big preacher for originality but originality for originalities sake can be a bad thing.

They also use shock value for shock value's sake which I see as completely lacking of integrity. Don't get me wrong, I love the work of Giger and Francis Bacon, but they do it in order to make their audience see the world differently and to see beauty in things that mainstream art would ignore. But a bucket of piss with a dead bird in it is nothing but a bucket of piss with a dead bird in it.

I've also had some experience of the opposite kind which is still skewed but much more pleasent. I had a really great life-drawing professor last year and like we do at every class, he looks at our work and gives us critiques. One day, he gave me a critique on something he had me tack up for everyone to see and his comments were right on the money. I appreciated it very much because he was right and ended up helping me out a lot but after class, two girls came up to me and told me they loved my drawing and that they thought the professor was a jerk for saying what he said. Don't get me wrong, I was flattered, but it only made me think of the harsh wake-up call they would have to face.

Thanks
    Maybe she's got a crush on you and is trying to make a move
    Sounds like she's trying to look smart, and there's always a reason for girls to do that…

Thanks
    Mmm I'm in high school in NY and there is a big group of artsy people like that. They all wear really trendy type clothes and berets and are trying to attend all these art colleges but besides like 1 or 2 of them they are all soooo bad. I'm more amused by them than anything. The way you dress and the people you associate with doesn't dictate if you are an artist, so who cares about "them".

Thanks
    Never had any problems with people wearing berets here in Canberra. I did get quite discouraged during high school though as all my art teachers would tell me that comic books weren't art, and real artists don't make money from their art (until they die). Fortunately when I reached College, my teachers were really cool and helped me out heaps

As Davi said, try to actually listen to her words a bit and see what she has to say. She may have some point. Other wise, just let it be.
    .: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    Ahh god Ancient Kitten! Thats so sick! She wouldn't like me. Shes in love with her cousin. (Ugh...so sick). Also, shes one of those people who suck up to teachers trying to act all buddy-buddy with them. And the teachers hate her. Its so funny, she doesn't even realise that they hate her.

Thanks
    Maybe darkcult is right.

Thanks
    She may have been trying to be friendly, but she isn't exactly known for being friendly. A friend of mine was in a class with her. He wanted to say something to her, but didn't know her name. So he waved to her and said "Hey." She yelled at him saying "I have a name you know! Why don't you say it besides yelling 'HEY, HEY'?!". Thats 2nd hand information so it may have been exagerrated. Also, if she was being friendly, thats even worse because I don't want to be her friend and I don't want to lead her to thinking i do. If that makes me a bad person...good, I'd rather have a rep for being a prick then have her rambling around me.

lol Aven: Your art teachers said real artists make money from their art? Are your art teachers artists? Haha, the irony!

BTW what is a sell-out? I hear it all the time and have no clue what it is. I ask people and all they give are vague answer that include "sell-out" in the definition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    this is starting to sound more like highschool artist woes and not college artist woes.

Thanks
    KILLEMALL!

No seriously... Don't worry they gonna be flippin' hamburgers in a few years...

Would you like fries with that?

Oh yeah...

Thanks
    And thats why I don't eat McDonalds.

Thanks
    Most of the artsy people i know are wacko. I think theyve given up on traditional stuff and just do whatever the hell they feel like cuz its accepted. There are a few people who actually know what the hell theyre doing/talking about but thats rare. That comment about composition I hear that all the time from the artsys. They cant draw anything but appparently they have great composition. Although any real artist will tell you the old traditional masters were also masters of composition. Ive been getting angrier the more im forced to be around them. This felt good.

the deep, dark, menacing jungles of Australia.
    Thanks
    at my high school there were no artsy types. we were the only actual group where more than one member did art. it was great - except when everyone else wanted help because we could actually draw... I hope there aren't any of those 'faux artists' when i go to uni...
    art is fun and addictive. like coffee. I like coffee too.

Thanks
    I know a few people who only ever seem to draw the exact same anime-esque face. But they like that face, far above anything anyone that isn't Japanese has done. So naturally, when you're doodling around them they've got all these art tips for you that don't make any fucking sense because they started their art from the top-down instead of establishing their basics and then easing into a style they felt comfortable with.

So, naturally, I make sure they never see my stuff.

It's not that I don't know how to listen to advice, good or bad. It's just that these people preach their ignorance and arrogance over and over again. It's very grating.

I feel your pain, Anarchy. College doesn't get any better when it comes to this sort of stuff. One of the people I'm talking about just turned 30. Listen, but don't take anything they have to say too seriously.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Originally posted by AnarchyAo2
    BTW what is a sell-out? I hear it all the time and have no clue what it is. I ask people and all they give are vague answer that include "sell-out" in the definition.
    A sell-out is someone who'd do anything for money like a celebrity endorsing a product they never use on a comercial or an artist doing something for the sole purpose of cashing in, even if it means saccrificing all respect and integrity they may have had.

Sinplified: Sell-out=.

Thanks
    I think I'd like to be a sell-out. I'm not seeing how wearing A&F makes me one. I'm spending money, not making it by wearing the clothes. I guess this is another example of art-sy people using words they don't understand.

Thanks
    Originally posted by davi
    this is starting to sound more like highschool artist woes and not college artist woes.
    indeed...

Lohan: What school do you go to...i graduated from Art in Design in Manhattan...

Reason I'm asking is cause most fo the kids that do decide to go into the fine arts major, seriously believe they are better than everyone else...

Me myself was a cartooning major, then went onto animation, i could draw circles around those fools...

Thanks
    Davi: Your right, thats because I am in highschool.

Thanks
    I know of a guy who twirled his moustache in an extremely Dali-esque fashion and called himself an 'artist' as if it was some form of higher spiritual plain or something. Of course this guys actual art work wasn't particularly interesting in anyway. Not only did he seem to want desperately to be an 'artist' like this girl in your class but he was easily in his 50's, so people like this are always going to be there.

Basically, being humble about your art and knowing you've still got a lot to learn is probably the preferable perspective to have on making art. Those who feel superior tend not to be open to criticism and thus do not learn.

I know a lot of people who study art (unfortunately i'm not one of them!) and almost all of them are completely down to earth, friendly people, despite the fact that they excel at their work. I know I'm not the only one who could say that most artists are great people.
    Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    I believe the word you're looking for is "pretentious" and yes, the art fags are almost always without exception, extremely pretentious.

You, however, were the bigger pretentious art fag in this situation, unfortunately.

Sure, she may "suck" at art, but that doesn't mean she's not allowed to hold an opinion over something. Some people can be very opinionated over things they lack experience in. People who can't "do" often have really good ideas that they haven't yet learned how to properly execute, or hold some pretty good personal tastes in art, or carry a pretty worthwhile intellectual understanding of art. Sure, there are a lot of bad ideas out there as well, and there ARE certainly an extremely rare select few jerks beyond redemption who you should probably avoid at all cost, but that still doesn't mean that you should treat people like garbage.

I would also like to reiterate that in your hastiness to write off someone else as being a pretentious artsy-fartsy type, you yourself have unwittingly become one.

That said, never ever ever ever ever make the mistake of blowing someone off simply because you see them as less skilled or knowledgeable than you, even if they come off as condescending or socially awkward towards you. (The condescension is more often than not unintentional, I've found. People are sometimes proud to trumpet the little tidbits of knowledge they've come across, or think they understand.)

Of course, if you're in a hurry or don't wish to be bothered, at least be polite and honest.

I suggest apologizing to her for your rudeness, and as a token of goodwill, offering to share sketchbooks with one another so you can learn from one another. (Maybe you have some pointers you can give her, for that matter.) There's no need for you to cut people off like that, especially since you're both still in highschool for crying out loud.

Edit: Oh yeah...the fact that you're both in highschool is what REALLY kills me about your situation. Where do you get off telling her she doesn't know shit about art? There are thousands of people out there a trillion times more skilled and knowledgeable than her, you, and myself out there...and unless you somehow manage to do one hell of a lot of study and make your way near to the top, there always will be. Of course, the majority of these people have learned to take crticism, even that which comes from the inexperienced, in stride.
    For that matter, art, especially that of a conceptual nature, is a constant struggle to learn, relearn, and search for new. Communication and criticism is vital to this process. For as history has shown us time and time again with countless artists, blowing people off for being less knowledgeable that you consider yourself to be is the fastest one-way ticket to Infatuated Ego Village, population you.

In closing, I would quote a little Nietzsche in true pretentious art-fag fashion, since I think it's especially relevent to your situation: "He who would do battle with monsters should see that he himself does not become a monster."
    Last edited by DanSTC; January 26th, 2004 at 06:23 AM.
    Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks
    Yeah man,

whatever... do what you like to do and find people that like the same stuff, don't bother with the ones that irritate you. There is no time to hassle about that stuff, just focus on yourself and your friends to do what you like to do.

Just try to see the value of her criticism regardless of the person saying it - see if she has a point or not and do something with it if you want, just don't get into these hormone-diluted discussions they soak up too much energy and time that you could use to do something else, like draw.

Man do i sound like a know it all.. soryy about that, better take some of my own medicine now ;-)
    Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    I do tend to take critisms from people, the ones most valued are the ones coming from people who don't know anything about art. Like, kids who know nothing about art and come to see your work. Do they pick at the small little things? Nope, they focus on the biggest problems. They don't say "You could use a little bit more red there, and some orange there.", they say things like "Her mouth looks wierd" "Is that a man or a woman?". But, this girl's critisms just didn't make any sense to me at all. Compisition?! Hell, 1/2 the page was scribbles of "I"M BORED!!!". If there was any effort put into the drawing, then I'd be a little more open to critisms.

Also, shouldn't she ask me if I wanted critisms?

Thanks
    maybe it appealed to her sense of art then ...
    Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Originally posted by AnarchyAo2
    I do tend to take critisms from people, the ones most valued are the ones coming from people who don't know anything about art. Like, kids who know nothing about art and come to see your work. Do they pick at the small little things? Nope, they focus on the biggest problems. They don't say "You could use a little bit more red there, and some orange there.", they say things like "Her mouth looks wierd" "Is that a man or a woman?". But, this girl's critisms just didn't make any sense to me at all. Compisition?! Hell, 1/2 the page was scribbles of "I"M BORED!!!". If there was any effort put into the drawing, then I'd be a little more open to critisms.
    That's still no excuse to blow her off like that, though I do agree it was moronic of her to bitching about compositioning over scribbles in a sketchpad.

This is exactly the part where it goes sour for you in the conversation:

"Okay, I just don't care then. I don't want to hear what you have to say. Just go away."
    "Thats why your ignorant."
    "Your not even good at art, so just go away. I'm not going to be preached to by someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about."
    "Yeah, whatever."
    Telling her that she sucks at art and should go away isn't classy at all. The girl telling you "whatever" and walking away actually comes off as the classier one in this situation, even though you both acted like idiots to some degree.

Also, shouldn't she ask me if I wanted critisms?

If you don't want to be subject to the occasional random critique, don't sketch in public. If someone gives you unsolicited crticism, just deal with it politely. If you don't wish to be bothered, explain that to the person as polite as you can so you don't come off as a stuck-up asshole.

Some people attempt break the ice by critiquing other people's work, especially in art classes...that may have been what the girl in your story was attempting to do, even if she was pretty inept about it.
    Art student

Thanks
    Originally posted by al-x
    In my teens I entered some pieces for local youth art exihibition. A couple of days before the exihibit a local newspaper did an artical on it. In this artical there was a picture of one of my pieces and a commentary on it for not being "real art" (don't remember the exact word this was a long time ago).

The pieces I had entered were some comic pages and some pinup girls... (and they where better than most of the art that was showed)
    Oh, I just love it when people attempt to claim something isn't "really" art.

Comic art is called comic art for a reason for crying out loud. It's not exactly rocket surgery to figure that one out in this day and age, especially given all the fine artistes these days who do comic art. So my question is, was the guy COMPLETELY retarded or just partially?
    Art student

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast