LIVE PORTFOLIO REVIEWS and Master Crit Sessions Begin Nov 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,205 Times in 2,748 Posts
    Follows
    Following

An Artist’s portfolio represents an their capabilities at all levels, from the student entering an Art and Design College to the successful professional working in their chosen field who is striving to always grow. A students biggest challenge when trying to get into art school or get their dream job, their dream gallery, or just a foot in the door, is knowing what to do with their portfolio. Approximately 90 percent of students leaving art school are doing so unprepared. Many take six months or more after school to resolve the portfolio problem. Those chasing scholarships face challenges with their portfolios exactly the same way. As a professional, the portfolio must continually evolve in order for the artist to continue to reach their goals and get where they want to be with their career. Even as professionals, getting input is key to moving forward. The information obstacles must be overcome for artists of all levels in order for success to come as quickly as possible, and for us all to improve.

ConceptArt.Org is bringing together a group of leading artists from some of the hottest entertainment companies, independent illustrators, fine artists, game artists, graphic novel, and film professionals together to help. Beginning Monday Nov 2nd you will have your chance to hear the truth about your work, and answers to set you in the center of your path. You choose who you want to spend one on one time with, showcasing your best work right here on conceptart.org and getting the straight truth.

Need direction? Need opportunity? There will be both. Artists from companies like Valve, id software, Massive Black, and The Illustration Academy’s faculty are on hand to make sure you get what you need to move your life forward. Need a break? Need to focus?

Attendees will be of both student and professional groups, as well as hobbyists with just a mild interest in it all. However, when you bring a group like this together, and you make a splash, you are tapping into a very deep connection pool. Marko Djurdjevic was discovered on ConceptArt.Org, you can be too. Just need advice? Yeah, there is plenty of that on the way. Best part is, you can watch the entire period you select, meaning you get to see what they say about others works too from your team of instructors.

Want to get your portfolio reviewed? You can do that.

Want to see others portfolio reviews? You can do that too.

Want both? You can do that too!

Want to see all of them? You can do that too!!

Artists often learn best while hearing and seeing what teachers say about others works. There is less of an ego hit when it is not of your own soul, idea or hand. Make it easy on yourself. Get your portfolio reviewed. Take the hard truth told in constructive and motivating fashion, and then sit back and formulate your own ideas about the discussion on others works, and the art itself. You will learn, and that is no joke.

Portfolio Reviews will be by:

Wes Burt – Massive Black

Coro Kaufman – Massive Black

Andrea Wicklund – Valve Software

Sterling Hundley – Award Winning Illustrator

Carl Dobsky – Established Fine Artist and Founder – The Next Gen Atelier

Brent Watkinson –Award Winning Illustrator

George Pratt – Award Winning Illustrator and Comic Artist

Jason Manley - Massive Black

Anita Kunz – Award Winning Illustrator

Jon Foster – Award Winning Illustrator

Brett Briley - id software

and more!

***This professional portfolio review team is here to answer your questions and go over your works. Seats are limited. This will sell out.

How does it work? We are streaming the portfolio reviews right from the forums themselves using LiveStream. All reviews are recorded and you may watch your chosen sessions at the time of your choosing. You don’t have to be there live. You can let it record and come back and see for yourself. Have a question or two and can’t make it live? Just post the questions you have in your thread and they will be answered. You can watch again, including those of your art review team slot where you see the reviews of your peers for the next fourteen days.

----------------------------------------

Where:
    Post your portfolio in the designated forum(s) and make your very own thread with your five best images in it. You can find the forums here:

PORFOLIO REVIEW WEEK

When:
    Artists reviewers can be chosen by submitting a reply to the thread for the review team of your choice, which you will get access to through the shop. Instructions on how to post your portfolio and what to put in will be posted in the general area.

Monday 2 - El Coro and Sterling Hundley
    Tuesday 3 - Jason Manley and Anita Kunz
    Wednesday 4 - Wes Burt and George Pratt
    Thursday 5 - Andrea Wicklund and Whit Brachna
    Friday 6 - Jon Foster and Carl Dobsky
    Saturday 7- Brett Briley and Jason Manley

How Much:

* 10 USD gets you access to any one three hour session for viewing, if you are not ready to show your own work.
    * 40 USD for the review of your works, by your chosen instructor team plus access to your chosen session to see the reviews by others.
    * 50 USD gets you access to all review sessions for viewing. Hear every single instructor talk about all the students and professionals works. Learn from everyone!
    * 70 USD gets you one portfolio review session with the chosen instructor team of your choice and viewing access to all review sessions each and every day so you can analyze the reviews of others.
    * 150 USD gets you portfolio reviews by all professional teams, each and every day. This is a savings of 50 dollars. You can see it all, hear it all, and watch it all at the time of your choosing.

Tuition can be covered here: http://www.conceptartstore.com/pore.html

Why: Because you want to learn from those who actually did what you are setting out to do, and that is be successful with their very own work, no matter the style or direction of focus. If you are a professional, hearing the truth from outside perspectives can give you the boost you need to get to the next level.

Why else: Because ConceptArt.Org needs your support to make this the best place to learn art that you have found anywhere online, or in the real world. Our new 4.0 technology is coming along extremely well and the educational tools are going into place. There are a ton of features going into this community and when done it will be, by far, the best educational, professional, and creative portal online and it is all for your use to achieve your goals and see your work to success. Best part is, the whole base of new tech is going to be FREE. We are doing a very good thing here and we are hugely thankful for the support. It cannot happen without you, or our instructors, whom we are thankful are joining us too.

See you soon

If you are interested in the upcoming Art Department Educational Program, http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=172141&page=8 you can get the real info you can use regarding your portfolio to not only get in, but also what you can do to go after the full ride and partial ride scholarships. This is a worthy show. Those that miss will be falling behind already.

Jason

Last edited by TAD Admissions: Scott Richeson; October 31st, 2009 at 05:40 AM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O...M...G...Thank you for this...very awesome of you guys to put this on! I don't care if I have to live off raman for the next month, I'm in! I'll have to figure out how many teams I can afford but I'll upload my work asap.

Do you have any physical size requirements or preferences for viewing the 5 images? Like so many pixels high/wide?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont Have any work that i will constitute as being intented for portfolio review, would it be advised to still put up 5 of my best images?

Also i would like to add, that this has just been a mighty spanner in the works, i thought had organized my week to the brim with study time work and portfolio building for the Art Department....Now i have to make space for these, while prioritizing it all somehow!

Thank you for this, so very much.This week is going to be Life changingly epic i'm sure.

Thank you.

Last edited by Liam Harvey; October 30th, 2009 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will want to show your best works, regardless of your current skill level.

Thanks a lot for the support too. This is going to be great.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to note that this will sell out, for those who want personal reviews. There will be space to view but you will want to get tuition covered. We are not going to be able to get everyone in for the personal reviews as we only have so much time with each team, however we will do what we can. I am waiting on a few others to add and should have this all up by afternoon tomorrow. Just wanted to get the word out as I am working on this.

Jason

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So if one of the teams that we want to be reviewed by is on a day that we can't be there on, for example, I would very much like to be reviewed by Mr. Dobsky, but have to work all day on Friday, is there going to be a way for us to get that review, maybe through the streaming portion of the site?

Sketchbook is HERE

NickZornArt.com is HERE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Where:
    Post your portfolio in the designated forum(s) and make your very own thread with your five best images in it.

Jason
    For the one of us that have an online portfolio is it possible to post a link to it instead of posting only 5 images in the forum?
    I ask this because it's not simple to choose the five best images for a non professional and so we risk to take out some images that you could like more that the 5 we chosen...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nickzorn View Post
    So if one of the teams that we want to be reviewed by is on a day that we can't be there on, for example, I would very much like to be reviewed by Mr. Dobsky, but have to work all day on Friday, is there going to be a way for us to get that review, maybe through the streaming portion of the site?
    Yep, you will simply post your portfolio images in your thread in that forum for those instructors and list any questions you want answered. They will take a look at it, tell you the truth, answer your questions, and you can watch it any time day or night for the duration of it being up for streaming.

Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Theking78 View Post
    For the one of us that have an online portfolio is it possible to post a link to it instead of posting only 5 images in the forum?
    I ask this because it's not simple to choose the five best images for a non professional and so we risk to take out some images that you could like more that the 5 we chosen...
    Only images in the forums will be viewed and discussed. If an instructor wants to see more work, they will ask.

It is not about what they like as much as what you want input on. Be honest with yourself. What is it that you want to learn from them? Show images that can help answer those questions, from your best. It is not a time for kudos and pats on the back. It is a time for the straight info, unfiltered, from the pros who have been there and done it. You will get the answers you need.

The way this works too is that you will learn a bunch more from watching the reviews of others. Keep your defenses down at all times. Listen. Hear them out. If you dont agree, dont argue...just make a note...if you do agree..make a note...and ask pertinent questions...stay focused. You will all get a ton out of this.

questions can be answered live

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only images in the forums will be viewed and discussed. If an instructor wants to see more work, they will ask.

It is not about what they like as much as what you want input on. Be honest with yourself. What is it that you want to learn from them? Show images that can help answer those questions, from your best. It is not a time for kudos and pats on the back. It is a time for the straight info, unfiltered, from the pros who have been there and done it. You will get the answers you need.

The way this works too is that you will learn a bunch more from watching the reviews of others. Keep your defenses down at all times. Listen. Hear them out. If you dont agree, dont argue...just make a note...if you do agree..make a note...and ask pertinent questions...stay focused. You will all get a ton out of this.

questions can be answered live
    I don't want to pay $50 for a pats on the back... I want straight and unfilterd info. I asked because 5 images maybe are not enough to receive all the inputs that I want. I have several examples of illustrations, character ideation, superheroes covers and some fine art paintings and if I can post only 5 images it'll be not a complete view over my range of action but only a look at a very small part of it.

I hope this is more clear now...
    Maybe I have understood bad and we can upload more than only 5 images, or not?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Theking78, I think the 5 image limit is there due to time issues. The reviewers can't give preferential treatment as far as reviewing time goes simply because one posts up more images. If everyone puts up 5 of their best images, that should be more than enough for the reviewers to critique and have a good idea of that person's level and what they should focus on.

I'm super excited for this! Can't wait for the shop link to go up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    TheKing78: The image limit is there for two purposes really. Since there is only limited time to go through everyones portfolio, having more images in your thread or on your site means the people reviewing you will have to spend more time looking through them all and giving you input on it. A few weeks ago Jason and John from the Academy did a 'short' portfolio review test, that went on for two and half more hours than originally planned because of the sheer amount of work being posted. However, no one is stopping you from posting 5 images in your thread and a link to your gallery just in case

The second reason is maybe more important though, since it's something you'll always have to think about when applying for something with your portfolio: what do you put in there? This is one of the hardest things of making a portfolio really, in my experience. Having to do it for something like this is a exercise all in itself.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in, just get me that link so I can pay! :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cdejong View Post
    If everyone puts up 5 of their best images, that should be more than enough for the reviewers to critique and have a good idea of that person's level and what they should focus on.
    I don't think so. Nobody go out and look for a job with a portfolio of only 5 images.
    Of course you don't need to show 100 images to be reviewed but I think any professional people around here have at least 15 images in his professional portfolio.
    I don't think looking at 15 images will take so long (I already had some portfolio reviews in my life and in 2 or 3 minutes professional people looked at more than 15 images so...).

I understand the time constraint and I'm not asking for a personal treatment, I'm just trying to understand if this opportunity can work for me or not.

Does this make sense?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't want to pay $50 for a pats on the back... I want straight and unfilterd info. I asked because 5 images maybe are not enough to receive all the inputs that I want. I have several examples of illustrations, character ideation, superheroes covers and some fine art paintings and if I can post only 5 images it'll be not a complete view over my range of action but only a look at a very small part of it.

I hope this is more clear now...
    Maybe I have understood bad and we can upload more than only 5 images, or not?

When I did the portfolio reviews with John English and Sterling Hundley we found ourselves repeating ourselves over and over and over. It was not only a time sink, but it was unnecessary, especially considering that it is not a good use of anyones time. We have a lot to cover, and it will be covered in your own and others reviews.

LISTEN TO WHAT THE INSTRUCTORS SAY TO THE OTHERS. YOU WILL GET YOUR INPUT through those comments even moreso than your own. Trust me on that. I learned more from watching others get crits over the years than my own, but fortunately I was watching guys like those here in this thread do the crits. If someone doesn't have enough to work on for the coming months from their portfolio review, it is only because they are a master, beyond the skills of the instructors.

You can always watch on day one, if you are on the fence, and pick up another day (if there are any available at that time) once you are sure. It will sell out though so be aware if you take that risk. Time is limited and so is open window to the oportunity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LISTEN TO WHAT THE INSTRUCTORS SAY TO THE OTHERS. YOU WILL GET YOUR INPUT through those comments even moreso than your own. Trust me on that.
    I trust you and I'm conscious of this.

Maybe I didn't understand how it will work but what I'm looking for is the possibility to show some of my pieces to a professional at least 2 or trhee for each category (character design, illustration, etc.) and get a general overview about what I have to focus on and what aspect they think I have to develop more. I don't expect to have any posted piece dissectioned and and discussed singularly.

In the past whe I did portfolio reviews at the conventions in 2 minutes editors looked at more than 15 pieces and then told me what to focus on. Do you think this is possible here on CA?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am in for the $10 option, since I have nothing for a portfolio yet and have no mulah. so we get a 3 hour session of our choice for this one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little torn; on the one hand I really, really, want to do this, but on the other hand, I'm not sure if I've got anything worthy of this level of review just yet.

Then again, I'm going to an animation conference next month and I'm hoping to land an entry-level position somewhere, so getting some pointers between now and then would be excellent.

Ah, hell. I'll probably get the $40 one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I trust you and I'm conscious of this.

Maybe I didn't understand how it will work but what I'm looking for is the possibility to show some of my pieces to a professional at least 2 or trhee for each category (character design, illustration, etc.) and get a general overview about what I have to focus on and what aspect they think I have to develop more. I don't expect to have any posted piece dissectioned and and discussed singularly.

In the past whe I did portfolio reviews at the conventions in 2 minutes editors looked at more than 15 pieces and then told me what to focus on. Do you think this is possible here on CA?

Yeah...just buy three spots worth of time if you want to get that much focus on you. Then put up three separate portfolios with five images each.

We have the system set up the way it is for a reason. If you want more, get more.

Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Endeavour get as much info and feedback as possible, and to take advantage of this Opportunity as much as possible.

I will post my work and put up the desired times for the class later today.

I am considering the full 150USD option, i am also wondering if that is a good idea, i dont want to waste the Instructors time, and i feel that i may get a repetitive trend of feedback from each of them.

I know the extra money will go into the community, which i am glad for, i just feel that perhaps the instructors time could be spent on other Students instead so the wealth of their wisdom is not just droning out the same info to myself.

Must decide.

I will post my work and put up the desired times for the class later today.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had my stuff reviewed by Jason M and John English a few weeks ago, and it was just the kick in the ass I've needed, really gave me a lot to work on over the next few months. Anyone who's on the fence about this, don't be. It's worth it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOOAAA-
    is it christmas already!!??!!
    Thats worth a lot of money!! I`m in!

Thanks for setting those up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im in for sure, is there a link for payment yet? cant find it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is almost too good to be true!!! Actual professional from the industry spending their valuable time giving valuable critiques. I definitely want to hear from Wes Burt and Carl Dobsky. So 75$ option for me! Still waiting to snipe those on Wednesday and Friday

Last edited by Eclypse; October 30th, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
    "He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." -Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds great, but I might not even have the time to view it. I'm broke too. Do you think you're ever going to do this again, like next year?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so ummm.... where is the pay link?

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." -Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    went to comic con international 2008, and didn't get a single critique other than 'show more work'..the majority of those companies just slap their HR people with a booth, and have them collect samples. This is a tremendous privilege to get critiqued/advised by the listed crazy artists you also learn lots from hearing the critiques made on other artists, so this is an insane opportunity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking of signing up to get my teeth kicked in and am trying to decide on my questions. How long will be spent on each portfolio?

If it's 10min,I might only want to ask one but if it's 30 minutes maybe I'd ask three.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason,

I'm excited to help where I can. I feel that Coro and I can cover a huge array of information with our different backgrounds. I've been fortunate to be affiliated with the Illustration Academy as one of the core instructors for the past seven years, and it has changed my life. The exchange of information at the Academy is open, honest, direct, and has never been hindered by ego or selfishness. An honest assessment of your work may not be what you want to hear, but if you want to work in this industry, it's going to come along at some point. I couldn't imagine a better opportunity for an aspiring young artist. I hope to meet many of you there.

Thanks again for welcoming me into the community!

s.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sterling Hundley For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4