Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pencil techniques + grip questions

Thanks

Pencil techniques + grip questions

well, since i was a kid i've never changed my pencil holding grip to the proper one, which is gripping the pencil between index and thumb, with middle finger giving support below.

the way i hold it is like this (kinda weird lol) : pencil rests on the bend between thumb and index finger, and both index and middle finger rest on top of the pencil.

pencil is then supported by my 4th finger.

i was just wondering if this would affect my drawing in any way lol if it does have an affect im going to start changing my habit ASAP.

Attachment 814714

i drew with my mouse my left hand witih the grip if you don't get what i mean, haha.

also, was wondering what kind of pencil shading techniques do guys like whit brachna, wes burt, marko djurdjevic use? is it mostly cross hatching? or do they just lightly shade the things they draw with very light strokes. i very much love that style of pencil drawing and was just wondering how they do it.

thanks in advance,
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    any one have any idea? im really curious lol and i feel taht if there's anything im doing wrong i better change it soon before its really raelly too late.
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,174 Times in 754 Posts
    As long as you can draw a relatively controllable line and you don't have a death grip on your pencil, you should be fine. Drawing with an underhand approach is something worth learning (somebody will surely post a picture, since I'm too lazy to find one).

Thanks
    I agree with Noah. It really doesn't matter HOW you hold a pencil, it's what you can DO with it. I wouldn't worry about it too much, because from looking at your sketchbook, you seem to have good control.

As far as pencil shading techniques, just find something that works for you. There are a million ways to do it and using some famous artist's method isn't necessarily going to make your work any better.
    "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

My ugly

Thanks
    For sketching and gestures I was taught a specific way to hold the pencil and I have found it useful. Lets see if I can explain this. Hold out your hand, palm face down, with your other hand hold the pencil below your fingers. Now interweave the pencil so that the eraser end is above your pinkey but below your other 3 fingers. Now close your hand and grip it like you normally would but the back end will be resting against the web area between your last two fingers. Then sketch. This helps you to practice using the side of your pencil to sketch instead of drawing with the point of your pencil which causes people to focus more on details.

Hope that helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    cool, thanks for the responses guys. more relieved that holding the pencil 'wrong' is still ok for artistic purposes

amber alexander, do u mean a grip liek this?

Attachment 814885
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    Pencil techniques + grip questions

I used to hold the pencil like that too but in highschool I made the effort to change into a regular grip position.

Thanks
    Portus, then...did it make a big difference? do you think you would've been OK without having changed your grip?
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    i would also like to add some more about pencil shading techniques.

for example, a piece of Kevin Llewellyn's

http://www.kevart.com/seniel.html

what direction is the pencil shading done in on the girls' forehead? the black background? and the rest of her face?
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlquddnr View Post
    well, since i was a kid i've never changed my pencil holding grip to the proper one, which is gripping the pencil between index and thumb, with middle finger giving support below.
    Funny, that's the way I've always held pencils, but I've seen one or two pro-artists saying not to hold it like that.

I dunno. It works for me. What works for you?
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    cool, thanks for the responses guys. more relieved that holding the pencil 'wrong' is still ok for artistic purposes

amber alexander, do u mean a grip liek this?

Attachment 814885
    like this, the tip is being held by the thumb and first two fingers:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Portus, then...did it make a big difference? do you think you would've been OK without having changed your grip?
    Yes because it's a 3 finger grip instead of 4 the movement range is considerable higher and less restraint.

Thanks
    I used to hold a pencil "wrong" for years and years (I don't remember exactly how anymore), it never really affected my ability to draw. Although I did have a deathgrip so hard I would occasionally snap pencils in half or tear holes right through the paper.... And then one day I decided to sharpen my nails for some odd reason, and every time I tried to use a pencil like that, I stabbed myself...so I changed to the "right" way. I did notice my handwriting was a little neater, but that's about it.

There are tons of different ways to handle a drawing/writing utensil. I find how I hold a specific thing depends on what it is and what I'm doing with it. Mechanical pencils handle differently than traditional wood ones; you need a soft touch with Prismacolours or charcoal because they're so easy to break, Rapidograph and Calligraphy pens need to be held in an almost vertical straight up and down position to get the ink flow right, and if you're too hard on a Micron pen, the tip will get shoved right up inside the pen body.
    Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast