Art: Buncha Love & Kisses(New stuff on seeeecconndd pagee)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Buncha Love & Kisses(New stuff on seeeecconndd pagee)

Hey everybody! Just realized I haven't posted nothin in the Finally Finished section D:. I have a lot of stuff to post... Although I still feel kinda shitty about most of the work and I have a assload of studying left to do. But may as well chronicle the adventures of my young David self.

I've been doin a series of monster speed paintin portraits over a few months... So I'll post those up first!

OLD to NEWWWWW

Some illustrations, first ones for Dungeon Magazine, seconds for Bobby Chiu's latest Frankenstein challenge

Attachment 813709

Update!

If anybody is interested I got lots of process stuff and videos on my blog

UPDATE!

Thanks everyone! Love you all D:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Mr.Delicious; February 15th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Baby love? Hot lovin in the oven? Nice tags and nice work. Love the texture and feel you put into these. Got any pencil or line drawings of these to post? And are you still doing your vid captures?

CHEERS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha these seriously rocks! I totally love them all, but last one gotta be my fav - great humour!

So many facial and head region portraits, but just two full body ones. Would have been intresting to see more of those.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man, sweeeeeeeet!!!!!
    your portraits are delicious...
    the only remrks i have are about human proportions and anatomy in the last two pics.
    just let me get a grip on my wacom and i`ll show you exactly what i mean..
    give me a couple of days and i`ll get back to ya..
    but still........fuck yeah!!!
    you r doing it man!!!!
    cheers

D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Superb portraits, especially the later ones. Your dynamic composition and subtle environmental details really liven up the standard "face shot" format.

http://4hcomic.com
    A webcomic of Apocalyptic proportions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    MISTER DELICIOUS!!!

nice to see what you've been up to man. seen a buncha these on your sketchbook, but having them all in rapid succession makes them all that much more impactful.

so instead of ass patting you like everyone else is probably gonna do, im going to give you my honest impression here.

you can clearly draw and paint very well. there is no doubt about that. im sure you can probably get fantasy card and the occasional cover gig no problem as you have proven over and over again that you can faithfully reproduce the kind of drawings that get a 15 year old boys dick rock hard.

so i guess since thats the gyst of the job i should pat you on the back and tell you "mission accomplished".

but im not.

why? because you could be so much better than that. you tend to draw portraits from roughly the same camera angle, your lighting is extremely formulatic..you have the one point attenuated light source with various rimlights down like a mo fo. problem with this situation is that it doesnt force you to deal with how light actually falls across an object, or how to deal with/incorporate strong cast shadow shapes into your work. these are two things that id encourage you to look into, both by doing some observational work and trying to pay more attention to how other illustrators handle these ideas. guys like nox and cryptcrawler have a very solid understanding of how important cast shadows can be in describing form (alot of times by not describing it), and also how to use them to your advantage; a shadow can be as compelling as a lightsource.

right now, i feel like you are playing it a little safe and getting formulatic.

on these first two, i liek that you changed up the background, but by their values and how the form reads it looks like they are still sitting in a dark room and being hit with point lights. why? the falloff is too harsh. look at how an object in a well lit white room looks. the shadows are much more compressed due to the increase in ambient bounce light. thinking about this would help these immensely

feather guys lookin pretty good, but the structure on his nose/forhead/eye socket area feels off a little bit. again, for a light BG high key pic, id dial down the rim lighting some...also the highlight running down the bridge of the nose is too constant. try to break it up some to help describe the plane changes more. having a strong single line flattens it out some. i know because i have to watch for that im my own stuff.

bunny: same thing witht he forms. hes in a dark room according to how his form is being described. also, while he has a cast shadow across the top, that green light is not casting any shadows, where as based off my understanding of where that light is places, there would be one on his neck at least...

the next five pics all sit better in their environments i think. but id think about ways i could differentiate one drooling mouth pic from another . my fave by far is the little furball creature based off your girls stuffed thingies. i think more than anything because its trying to say something; theres attitude there, a certain narrative, another layer of love...something thats not as present in the other ones.
    i also think the dutch tilt adds drama and energy to it. very well done man.

the scene illo, i would be willing to put money on that you completely concieved it on the computer. the reason i can surmise that is because the composition feels mashed together. the guy getting shot, both of his hands cause tangents, the girl feels pasted in and her hand/finger position is wierd.
    none of these figures have been resolved in their environment...
    my advice would be, if you are tacking a multi figure scene like this, is to start with a series of small thumbnails. TINY. also, id strongly suggest doing them analog on paper. this way you cant zoom in to the fun parts. only by keeping things simple and tiny and kind of hard to work will you be forced to deal with the composition, how the figures sit in the scene and whats being communicated. if you can pull those things off in a 2x3 inch square, the hard part's done. then all you have to do is blow it up and detail it out. no worring about poses anymore, or porportions, or the space, or the positioning of the elements in the scene... just details. try it. i guarantee it will make your pictures 100 times stronger. id be happy to send you samples of mine to show you what i mean.

the rest are all solid, shit, all of it is solid, but seeing your progress over the past couple years i know you are capable of more. dont play it safe and get comfortable in your picture making conventions. you are way too young for that . i have this rule; if i catch myself using the same tricks or approaches too many times, i will force myself to solve the problem in a different way. this has not only taught me a million tricks, but has also kept the picture making process interesting over the years.

i dont think every illustrator needs to subcribe to this philosophy, shit, there are TONS of really successful and talented iillustrators who have built their entire careers off of one process or set of conventions they use over and over...theres nothing wrong with that. but what i see with you, is that you are too young yet to get set in your ways.

oh, and DRAW MORE!!! painting is easy. get better at drawing. otherwise you'll be painting the wrong shapes

anyhoo. great work. i hope you take what i say to heart, Dave. i wouldnt waste my time typing all this shit out if i didnt see MAD POTENTIAL in you. you're pretty damn good, kid. but with some practice, you could be MEGA DELICIOUS!!!!!

c36

11. The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to el coro For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn! You rock! So much inspiring stuff! Thank you for it. And for the constant inspiration you provide in general.
    You're my hero!

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 906 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Coro - Thanks way too much for that! I reallly needed it right now

Thanks everybody else for rubbin on my ass , I do appreciate all the love

Also had another little monster dude

and the Team chow thing i did which i totally hate now

Last edited by Mr.Delicious; October 28th, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
    'If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems.And that's a big mistake.'
    www.DaveRapoza.com - Step by Steps, Videos, PSD Downloads, and tons of other crap
    SketchBook
    My Twitter Account
    Schoolism Alien Video Tutorial!
    -HAHAHA B.B.F.F. Forever...-

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Delicious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very very nice.. I'm not into too much of the elven fantasy-thing, but that's am matter of perosnal taste.. But I love the furry balls and pretty much everything else. I can't help but feel that the rabbits right ear is kinda misplaced? Really nice stuff, though. You have a good sense of ferocity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dave,

Been seeing these as they popped up on Da, but great to see them all together. You've definitely got some cool stuff going on here - which I am really enjoying

Cheers,

Ralph
    ====

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! great crit from Coro!

I'll just stick with the ass pats, haha.

Very curios to see what you make after that nudge from coro, though. Keep up the solid work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rly awesome stuff dave. lookz much better when I see all this heads in one page.
    you an inspiration, to work more and better.

and very cool from don chuan de coro for his crits. I miss this professional crits in ur sb or other sb's. thats what we need to be better right. not tons of awesome and amazing comments.

looking forward for your next stream, hadn't time yet to join the last sessions.

peez bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good stuff Dave! I follow your blog as well so I've already seen this stuff but I would like to do some comments this time

I totally agree with the comments of Coro. He already pointed out the issues about the lighting and shadows and etc. Alongside all these, I think you should try some different color palettes as well mate. Coro is right, you're playing a bit safe here I guess. For example, try not to use any blacks and see what happens. I'm sure that it will be a challenge for you and you'll start to search for other solutions while painting cast shadows, which will improve the quality of your work immensely. Also, maybe it doesn't seem like a big problem but what about these zombies man? It would be a nice change for yo if you start painting some other themes as well. The themes you never painted before for instance. It's obvious that you paint some of the hottest zombies around but let's give it a break. What do you say my friend?

Other than these I think you are a hot talent and bright days are ahead of you mate.

Take care! and keep up the awsomeness!

Emrah Elmasli
    Concept Artist & Illustrator
    www.emrahelmasli.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!Really good stuff .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mmm mmm mmmmm delicious

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pfff... dude what a progress from you!! Cool stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marvelous, just marvelous man. I love your art!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, these look great all in one thread, nice work Dave!
    Yeah no real crits from me man, Coro gave one of the best crits/ advice I've seen in a long while, so thanks for that Justin, I think that can apply to a lot of people.

So just for love from me Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    billions of kisses dave, don't worry though, Weeko's gonna help me out and deliver allllllllll of them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff man,

think you overdosed the marble eyes

loved the Bunny homie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rapoza! badass work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff! They look so cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Rapoza, love your work, and props to Coro for the great advice. Also-- keep doing the Chiustream contests!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    stay beautiful, my love ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup drooling monsters are your thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...seaMonster.jpg

I notice a flying needle in the picture? What's that about.

I like archer painting done for wizard of the coast. At a quick glance. I notice the nice forceful impact of the arrow. The guy at the receiving end is kind of mushed into the corner, almost embedded into the ground or smoke. But it does add to the action.

It could be a good or bad thing. As el coro mention you could be pigeon-holing yourself in an approach. On the other hand your style, it sticks out from the other fantasy paintings. Marble eyes and drooling monsters, you have the skills to go any direction you want though.

Great job you guys did on Chow.

Last edited by Pigeonkill; October 30th, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are pretty sweet Dave, you already know how I feel and what I dig and what Id change/alter based on our notes to eachother so I wont go into all that nonsense but I will say how totally jealous I am of the ass-kicking you just got from El Coro de los Magnificos.
    The guy just handed you the fuckin playbook to unlocking your talent, and make no mistake you have it!
    That was some serious love you got there, you dont see stuff like that said without the person honestly giving a shit as to whether you get better or not, and that can only mean that he sees something in your work that could really be special if you really, really busted your hump to seize it.
    If you devoted yourself completely to each work, really took coro's feedback to heart and took little mini-breaks when you started getting that " just want it finished" feeling we talked about, then it would only be a matter of time before you started completely thrashing peoples asses and had em running for thier tablets to get better.

Personally I think your going to do it and im looking forward to my butt hurting.

Very best wishes,
    Brad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work! I have to agree with Cryptcrawler in that you just got a shit-load of great, free advice from Coro which some of us would pay for to improve our work. I wish you all the best in that improvement, not that your stuff doesn't rock already! Keep it coming man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome dump, dave! i do agree with what coro had to say, and i'm looking forward to seeing what you do with his advice. it's win+win :]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.