Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 724 Posts

Spartan Camp #111 - 50 gestures + Optional "Edges study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 1th of November.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an optional "Edges study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study: This may seem a little cryptic at first. You can draw anything, but make sure you focus on how you draw EDGES. See tutorials below or check the internet for extra information on edges. Edges occur when different surfaces meet or end. Being able to identify(hard, soft, etc) and draw these edges will greatly help you in describing form. A still life could prove useful. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are also up to you!
    Some great tutorials on the subject: (last one is more broad)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51913
    http://stapletonkearns.blogspot.com/...out-edges.html
    http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Critting each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #110

immortalindigo
    chambo
    ggnastist
    Anthis
    Mindbendermind
    shiNIN

Take a look at my Website!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    I drew a skull on Monday (more will follow, I'm sure I love them and I need drawing them, my almost only topic is drawing humans, especially heads), I want to show it, here:

a quick lazy playing-with-colors stuff, I like it, so much better then the one last week - the lower teeth are wrong, I rarely have patience for such subtleties, I'll work on it...

are skulls and bones okay too here? I think why not, they're important (and we even saw landscapes here... I'll stuck to animals and humanoids and I even try to draw many figures but they're awfully hard for me, 50 would be too hard without some detailed heads and arms).

I'm busy and tired this week too but I'm determined to reach 50 this week and not with very crappy stuff.

oh and thanks, Anthis, for remembering me I love skulls and need one for drawing. this time I won't give up till I get one (there are perfect ones on ebay any time - shipping only to the US )... a nice and realistic one.
    I'm excited about it

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    1-28
    Referenced from Posemaniacs, GracefulNudes, BoneClones, image ref, and a few sparse from imagination.
    "It's not rocket surgery." _Sebudai

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AestheticMachine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, I've been more of a lurker for a long time. I thought I'd post some stuff and try to stick to this program for a bit. These are just my gestures, I'm not sure exactly how many there are but I think it's around 50.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axiverse For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    #29-48 / posemaniacs, gracefulnudes.com, personal storage
    gonna do the last two as digital studies
    Anthis: trying to use squarer shapes for the torso, i'm gonna have to practice a bit more with it - am too used to ovals

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AestheticMachine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    blech, last two studies. gonna have to focus on lots of faces for a while. second is the 'Barberini Faun'

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AestheticMachine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I did some gesture copy from Aaron as suggested by Anthis in the last spartan camp. I love his economy of lines.

Some portraits from a Flickr group "5 Sec Faces" http://www.flickr.com/photos/fivesecfaces/ and some drawings from life.

On Saturday, I went for Dr. Sketchy Singapore. Here's the drawings from the session.

A finished study from 5 Sec Faces.

Regards
    Ganesh Ghale (GG)

http://ganeshghale.blogspot.com/

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggnastist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sorry for the quality, there's little light in the room.. it's just some proof I drew figures this week. it's a victory in itself, I'm very skilled in avoiding it.
    it's a toil... I still haven't the vaguest idea how should I start drawing something and my visual memory is zero. I may practice or study, I forget the visual information and next time I'm at square one again.
    I can't even draw a decent stickman (I try not to draw lines instead of limbs, they have thickness and I don't know how to simplify that).
    if I torture myself with it, have I a chance to get better? (I think yes, I'm a hedonist so I will find a way not to feel so horribly stressed and confused and disappointed. giving up drawing is out of question. that would be the logical choice though)
    I know I barely practice but still, a kid does it better and with much fun.

the tiny ones went better.

Vilppu (), gracefulnudes.com, stock photos.

Thanks
    Wonderful going ppl.

I totally messed up the edges study several times. It turned out to be tougher than expected - I'll try again tomorrow.
    I'll add some crits too.

posemaniacs followed by some unreffed ones.

Spartan Camp #111 - 50 gestures + Optional "Edges study"Spartan Camp #111 - 50 gestures + Optional "Edges study"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kinda crappy entry from me. 90s posemaniacs and 3 20minute figures. Did the gestures while my mind was still sore from a major artrage, lol. Couldn't really concentrate.

Thanks alot for the crit last week Anthis. I've noticed i tend to draw really short legs and you can see that as well in a lot of those gestures. I try to remember to draw them longer while doing gestures and i often even write small notes in the corner of the paper but i still forget about it. Gestures are so fast paced and i am reaally absent-minded. Really need to work more on proportions.

Be warned, your eyes might start bleeding :c

21. The Following User Says Thank You to citrusfrukt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here are my drawings from the week. I had some papers to write for class this week, so I had to limit my drawing time. I didn't get to 50, but I did draw something almost every day. I consider that an accomplishment.

We've all got to start SOMEWHERE.

Indigo's Sketchbook

Indigo's Blog

23. The Following User Says Thank You to immortalindigo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Scribblies

Man, been a b*tch and hadn't had my oldass scanner working with Snow Leopard yet. Been doing a lot of life scribbles, this week and weeks previous--only including this week's though obviously. I try my hardest not to give a sh*t when doing life studies, do them on scrap paper in a clipboard and always intend to later interpret them anyways via wacom/photoshop ... eyup.. need more practice there anyhoo.

Filterswhee.
    Last edited by onemorepirate; November 2nd, 2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: typo mmm

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onemorepirate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've read about the edges (many thing weren't unknown for me), but I ended up sleeping instead of drawing

I'm glad seeing this many participants this time

Thanks
    Won't forget the rest - will be there tomorrow (for real!). I think it's important for me to notice these things too, and I don't want to give rushed advice.

To all- great job. Lot of people this week! And remember to look at others' progress, see if you can learn a lesson there, and perhaps share a crit!

shiNIN; Not sure if the edges study was suitable here, although I think it's a really important topic. Nice skull study, I'd advice trying some hard brushes, perhaps even without opacity on. Just to block in the main shapes and forms and get some stability. It can be refreshing. As for coming up with decent poses, I believe there are many ways. Building up a reference library, and browsing trough it quickly works for me. Also, you can just look at your own body. Turn around, kneel, hold up your arm, whatever. You'll notice things. Like how limitless the results can be...
    Nice to have you in again! Great job. You know one of the best things is actually watching yourself improve. One day these will be a breeze.

AestheticMachine ; A lot of different stuff! which is great, and a lesson for me too. Love the bear skull. I believe some of those square/rectangular forms are working out nicely for you. It's odd, shortly after I posted that I noticed a reference pose with a really rounded torso. I'm guessing it's a guideline afterall. But it's definitely good to keep looking. Some of your linework is really sharp and nice.. should find out how you did that!

Axiverse ; Welcome! Be sure to check out the other activities around here as well, this site is a great place for this kind of things. You're doing a nice job simplifying those poses. I think you can see its paying off especially in the tough, foreshortened ones. I'm not quite sure what the real size of these is. Be careful not to limit yourself. One thing I noticed is that in those bigger poses, the upper body seems somewhat enlarged. This could simply be because it's furthest away from you on the paper, which means you are correcting for the distance. You'd have to check if it applies to you becasue it can happen! Also know that these referenced studies probably work best in tandem with poses from imagination. Just some tips! Nice job!

ggnastist; Another one bookmarked! thanks for the link, always useful. Those heads are coming along nicely. Love the dr.sketchy ones. I think the girl in the really difficult pose in the top right is fantastic. Challenging poses in general by the way. Those legs are tough but you're definitely in the right direction. Nice optional study too. I love how you handled the subtle areas like the nose and lower lip. What media did you use? Charcoal or some sort of broad pencil? Some of the dark parts do seem a little too dark.. or is that the reference? Great stuff, strong variety.

chamo ; Some of those are really cleaner than last week. I'm not sure if you are using the reference on a timer (which is nice by the way). Either way, you're doing nice trying to capture the important forms. Those proportions will improve. There are a few things that may work (in my experience). You can compare with your own body or photo reference. You'll quickly notice what's not right. A nice way to compare with reference is quickly look back and forth between the referece and your drawing. You'll notice differences, even if your pose is completely different. Good stuff! mix in some poses from imagination, good exercise.

immortalindigo; Lot of tough figures again! You're certainly challenging yourself, which is great. In some of the poses, you seem to be 'fitting in' the legs and arms after you're already done. To prevent you from getting in trouble, you can start with a light sketch. You can also try and keep the entire figure in mind while drawing. Also notice that some of the bigger poses with longer lines are more fluent and less cramped. And you're right - good commitment!

onemorepirate; I envy your life drawing sessions. You can notice from these that typical 'life' feel. Less glamour, more body and a more realist feel. Actually that's an interesting approach with part drawing/part digital. The transition between torso and pelvis area seems troubling occasionally. Think these are some great poses though, thanks for posting! I had to look up dr.sketchy's by the way. Wish they had that around here as well.
    Last edited by Anthis; November 4th, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast