What art schools have good illustration programs but are a little more affordable?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy What art schools have good illustration programs but are a little more affordable?

I mean, RISD is what I'd consider ridiculous tuition. My parents won't help me out with any of the money and I don't want to leave college with 70,000 in debt. But I don't want to go to some lame-o school either.

Lots of you are probably in the same situation. What do you think, any ideas?

Thanks,

Deja

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I know that The Art Department is going to have an illustration... thingy.

And considering Jason is on good terms with John English, Mark English and Sterling Hundley...

Should turn out to be pretty nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, don't know how that happened.

Last edited by drd; October 27th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by drd; October 27th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dejashepherd View Post
    I mean, RISD is what I'd consider ridiculous tuition. My parents won't help me out with any of the money and I don't want to leave college with 70,000 in debt. But I don't want to go to some lame-o school either.

Lots of you are probably in the same situation. What do you think, any ideas?

Thanks,

Deja
    If you think 28,000 dollar a year is expensive, try SCAD, Ringling, or Art Center. they range from 1.5 to double as expensive. Art school in general is ridiculously expensive. SCAD a year cost me $32k, 2 years = 64K. Art Center is even more ridiculous. I know that RISD gives out alot of scholarships, perhaps the best way to reduce the cost is to apply for financial aid and/or have a killer portfolio and receive some scholarship, I've been told that some students have full ride scholarships from them the last time I've visited that school in back in 2006.

Although, in my own opinion and i mean opinion, the best school will probably be the art department that is starting on CA 30,000 for 30 month education with access to the best teachers and professional in the industry. Ca Art Department However, it will be very difficult to convince your parents since no degree is offered. That being said, a degree in art mean NOTHING in the professional world, unless you are thinking of teaching or art History. the only thing that matters is a good portfolio and an easy to work with personality. If you don't believe me look at some of the artists on CA I would say about half of them have degrees and the rest don't.

I hope this helps, Good luck in your endeavors.

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." -Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eclypse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello. I would check out our program at Laguna College of Art + Design. We are significantly less expensive than other schools and we have developed a Hybrid Illustration program. Check out the website and give me an email or phone call.

Thanks

Christian Ramirez
    Admissions Counselor
    Laguna College of Art + Design
    (949) 376-6000 ext. 231
    cramirez@lagunacollege.edu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Isn't drawing from the model a major part of the art school programs? I'm curious how the online CA school is going to teach drawing from the model with students that can't get access to a live model. That has always been my dilemma; no model : /

Thanks
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you think 28,000 dollar a year is expensive, try SCAD, Ringling, or Art Center.
    Last I checked, RISD is still the most expensive. Clocking in at about 36 grand for tuition, unless they're planning to raise it (again). Thus (one of) the reasons I transferred.

But as was mentioned, check out LCAD for something close by. And since you're already in California, I'd strongly consider going for the atelier option. They're quite plentiful there, so it's really something to think about. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have decent grades and SATs , you might get a partial scholarship from many art schools such as Pratt.
    Consider applying to Mass College of Art. It is very good and state supported and much more reasonable than a stand alone art school.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.