Thanks

Is it a good idea to stick to Bridgman only?

Hi,

some time ago, I was told that Bridgman, Hogarth and Loomis are good authors for figure drawing. I took a close look at them, copied some drawings from all authors, and wound up preferring Bridgman. I bought several of his books, and for I guess more than a year, I have been drawing studies from Bridgman's books. I really like his style and his simplifications, they help me memorize how to draw hands, legs, eyes etc. a lot.

What I am a little bit worried about is to be too much stuck with Bridgman. I use his book for both the body and the face. Bridgman does not draw the human figure as a whole, but I helped myself by practicing to draw from photographs and posemaniacs. He also does not draw any women (female faces yes, but not the body). But still, I like his style most of all. Also, his books to me have infinite depth, drawing his images just once does not suffice for me, to really memorize things I need to draw them twice (at least), so that's enough work for a lifetime, I'll never run out of Bridgman.

What would you recommend? Stick to Bridgman (as he helps a lot), or definitely (I mean, like, absolutely necessarily) take a look at other authors as well (for the sake of getting what Bridgman lacks, also to familiarize with a new style)?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Bridgman does have a book on female anatomy, but one of the main reasons why females aren't common are because you should be able to apply the general anatomy from his figure books to the female figure. Or at least that's what I found. For example, the book I have on female anatomy from him doesn't go in depth about picking up on the structure, because you should already understand that from his other books. Essentially, there isn't enough missing information for it to be important.

There's absolutely no harm in learning from other artists. In fact, I'd say you should keep an eye out on others just to get variety, even if it turns out Bridgman still works best with you. I don't believe it's necessary to stick to only one.

Thanks
    It's never good to stick ONLY to a single source of studying material. Your knowledge and style will end up like an inbred hillbilly family and you will be giving yourself a severe handicap.

Studies need to be varied and come from a wide range of source materials to build your visual library and put the most tools at your disposal for creative work.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sepulverture For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bridgman draws plenty of female figures in his books. It may be hard to tell because they are body builders and look rather masculine.
    Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek the Usurper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    It's not a good idea to stick to Bridgeman only. I would try to keep open mind to any type of knowledge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Never, ever, ever stick to one source of learning for anything. Always stretch out and try everything.

Edit: That doesn't mean to say "don't study Bridgeman". Go ahead and study his works (I do), but never limit yourself.

Thanks
    I don't really understand why you'd ask that question when you basically already answer it in the last part of your opening post? It's common sense, you don't need outside affirmation.
    Last edited by MidgardSerpent; October 27th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MidgardSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    It's good to get other perspectives. Just stay away from "how to draw manga" books. Bridgman has his faults. He's great for the basics though.

Thanks
    Is it a good idea to stick to anything only?

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushido For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with raoul about staying away from "how to draw manga" books because they're terrible for learning anatomy. Too abstract. Do life drawing, and get some books by the three artists in my sig. I personally prefer Bridgman's style over Sheppards, but I learned a lot more from Sheppards book. Both are priceless additions to my collection though.
    The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanks for all of your replies! I just finished printing Vilppu :-)

Another question: Why is Joseph Sheppard so poular? I took a look at his anatomy for artists book. His drawings are well rendered, but he does not teach to build up the figure from the start (like Loomis, Vilppu do). Nor does he teach really cool simplifications (like Bridgman). Is there something I am missing? Its not the first time I read good things about him.

Thanks
    Bridgman learned his style from many sources, so it´s lame to stick to only one style to develope yours.
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Lifedrawing class, masterstudies, good photoref, drawing sculptures, doing sculptures, observing, practicing infront of the mirror, gesture drawing outside.

I like Bridgman allot too (and vilppu!). He's a really good basis, but like others said I would never use only a single source.

Thanks
    It's almost never a good idea to stick to one single source.