Sketchbook: Dsmith's Sketchbook-'Till I kick the bucket! - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Dsmith's Sketchbook-'Till I kick the bucket!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a little update,haven't made much progress today,just continuing the block-in:
    Also I'll get a tablet PC tomorrow,nothing fancy,but just enough to run good old PS and Sketchbook Pro.I'm really excited,now I'll be able to sketch digitally on the move!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DSmith; July 6th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice progress on that concept, some remarks:
    The head looks a bit unnatural with that egg-shape. I'd tune down the forehead area to make him more realistic (or exeggarate it some more if it's intentional). The left nipple looks misplaced, and about that skirt: Majbe not the best idea to hide his legs totally - it makes the pose a bit hard to read. I'd say you should make that skirt shorter to make some place for leg definition or redraw its wrinkles so that they'll show the position of the front leg. More definition of the skirt's material or putting some details (patterns) on it would be a nice touch too.
    And just some sanity testing: Where does he put those giant swords when he's not fighting?

About that tablet PC you mentioned: what type is it? does it have pressure sensitivity? Anyway having a digital sketchpad you can take everywhere sounds awesome

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Novbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your improvements are amazing keep it up ill keep looking at your skecthbook

An Artist strives for Perfection, but never truly wants to find it, Creativity is Controlled Mistakes

"Carl Anthony Springer"

"those who ask a stupid question is stupid for a second. but those you do not ask the question is stupid for ever!"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CarlSpringer:Thanks man,I'll go take a look at your SB today!
    @Novbert:Thanks!Yeah,the egg shape is definitely an accident,I'll correct it,along with the nipple.For the skirt,I'll try out a shorter length,and add some detail and patterns,but first I have to get the basic form down correctly and then I can go on with detailing.
    You got me there with the swords,I'll create some kind of holster for him!

About the tablet PC:It's a Fujitsu ST5021D with outdoor screen(that means that the screen looks better outdoors,best in direct sunlight,just what I need when traveling,I had a tablet PC earlier,but it had an indoor screen,and I couldn't even use it on a train or a bus,now this problem is solved with the new tablet).It has a 1,1 Ghz ULV CPU,1 GB of RAM,and some shitty stone-age GPU.But all of this pays off in the battery performance:8 hours with browsing the net+listening to music!This is on Win7,I'll install WinXP today,and I might get a 9-hour running time,that'd be awesome!
    Unfortunately the pen was faulty,so the seller sent another one but it'll take two weeks to arrive,so I'll have to wait some time
    Updates today,I just had too much fun with the tablet yesterday

Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys for the lack of updates,but I had a lot of problems installing WinXP on my tablet pc,it took two days and 6 windows reinstalls,but I finally got it!
    Since I still don't have a pen,I connected a keyboard and a mouse to it,and now it works as a secondary desktop PC,perfect for looking at reference while drawing on the big screen!
    I'll update tomorrow,I promise!

Cheers!

Last edited by DSmith; July 9th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some internet issues yesterday,sorry guys!
    I had a lot of problems with installing the drivers on my tablet pc,but everything works finally,so I can get back to work now!
    Some more block-in with the character,the face and legs suck,I'll try to sort that out tomorrow.Also some sword designs,more update on that also tomorrow.

@CarlSpringer:Sorry man,for not replying to your message,I wrote the message 5 times but something is wrong with the message system for me,none of my replies got sent!Can you give me your email,so I can get back to you there?

Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say thanks for dropping by my SB, and say you have a great dream, keep it up, also, its incredible the way you are improving

and thanks also for the the anatomy book references, i did some already from
    Loomis's book, so check it out later, have to dig out my scanner/printer out from my closet, haven't used it for years, 5 or 6!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ArghosRo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanted to complement you on your work and your progress. The growth from your earliest posts to your most recent is really amazing.

Hope you continue to post. It's very inspiring.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pgd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey DSmith, its great to see what other people my age are doing your improvements are massive, this last concept looks really cool as well, the rendering on his body is great. Its good that you can do 3D, all the better to expand your arsenal

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JoeS:Thanks man,your stuff is awesome!
    @pgd:Thank you!
    @ArghosRho:Thanks,and do lotsa studies,Loomis will help you a lot!
    @CarlSpringer:I still can't send messages,sorry man...

Sorry for not updating,I had to go out and have a bit of social life,hence the lack of updates.I'll go on vacation with my family next week,so I don't think I'll be able to update there.

Anyway,some more progress,I think the block-in process is finished,now I'll start looking at some reference to make it look more realistic,add some background and finish it up by the end of the week.This concept takes a lot of time,but I don't really mind it,since I've already learnt a lot about rendering,edges and anatomy while doing it.

(and next week the pen for my tablet PC will arrive,I can't wait to use this beauty for what I bought it for(although it's awesome for ebook reading and movie watching as well ))

Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely weapon designs, the bottom of the frayed cloth in your latest image comes across really well. That 3d tank on the other page is pretty damn awesome, especially considering how detailed it is. You seem to have a pretty good understanding of figures and have great character designs, but they're mostly in black and white. Maybe work with color some more, perhaps even do some color studies from observation. I think this could yield some good results.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MyioDeSopsia For This Useful Post:

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya DSmith.

Good stuff.

So who is this guy you are concepting? Is he a bad ass warrior or a sword model? Is he about to kill someone or is he walking down a runway? Did he superglue that necklace to his peck? The way he is walking would not cause his necklace to swing that much.

Why does he have two swords? Why does he have a headband? Why are his lower arms wrapped like a mummy? If he is walking toward the screen why is his skirt blowing in-front of his legs?

Why,Why,Why ect these are the questions you have to be asking yourself when coming up with a concept. Are they good choices, is there a better choice? does it make sense? does it strengthen or weaken the point you are trying to get across? Push it, make it stronger.

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sweet character update Dsmith~ dual swords is always a win in my book actually.. dual wielding in general is just a win. haha. enjoying the tablet pc?? (^-^d) keep updating!!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

21. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys,I am very tired so individual replies tomorrow!
    Another update,the chest starts to look O.K. but the rest of the character is shit.The face,the clothing,the swords,all of these need a lot of work...tomorrow evening is the deadline so I guess I'll have to work all day long...But rendering is actually quite a lot of fun when you start to get it!
    Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man i really dig your linework. I dunno why but i always had a hard on for line art, and your stuff looks great. Your values are pretty good as well, loved to see the progress on this last guy. And be sure to post more 3D work when you get any done, because i adored that space ship of yours

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LordVenom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello hello!
    I'm loving the weapon designs and the torso you did up there looks quite realistic(Though I think that perhaps his torso is a little short compared to his legs? I'm not sure), I see loads of improvement though so the studies are definitely paying off - don't forget to keep them up though.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew,I'm back!I was on vacation on the past weeks,and after I arrived home,I went to do some summer jobs.So the replies:

@Naidy:Thank you!The torso might seem short because of the clothing I guess.And yeah,I've been really lazy with studies lately,gonna do more of them in the future!
    @LordVenom:Thanks man!I'll get into 3D(digital sculpting in particular)in the near future,I'm really interested in that stuff,and it seems fun!
    @Teapo:Thanks!Yeah,the tablet pc is a lot of fun,but it takes some time to get used to it,because there is no keyboard,so no hotkeys!
    @Zazerzs:You're right,I wasn't thinking enough about the concept,but luckily it turned out fairly plausible(at least for me)...Gonna pay more attention to it the next time!
    @MyioDeSopsia:Thanks!Yeah,colour is something I definitely wanna get into sooner or later(maybe sooner lol),but I think that I should nail values and rendering in B&W first,and then move onto colour.

So,I'm very tired(as usual)today,and I'll scan the stuff worth showing tomorrow!
    I tried myPaint,it's really awesome despite being opensource,it's good for traditional media paintings/drawings,so I quickly made some crappy drawings from mind to have at least one picture in this comment

Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, you've improved so much from your last post. Gives me inspiration to continue

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquaticdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aquaticdog:Thanks!

Damn,I'm so fucking lazy!Gah!Gonna update daily from now on,promise!
    Not much for today,doggeh in mypaint for a friend(many parts are rushed,gotta learn to be more patient...).Mypaint is such an amazing software,I've been using it instead of PS,it's really great!Try it,you'll like it for sure!!

Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Character concept,very WIP:

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the images what you kept is exactly grate & completely innovative in look ,i am very much interested in 2D & 3D, the information provided by you regarding 2D & 3D,is knowledge based, let me know more about 2D & 3D, would you please provide more information on this ??

33. The Following User Says Thank You to garryjeamess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great updates DSmith! this whole myPaint thing is making me want to try it out.. at first those last few images seemed traditional but I guess myPaint is really good at mimicking traditional tools? keep it up my friend~

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

35. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @teapo:Thanks!Yeah,mypaint is focusing on emulating traditional media,and its really good at it!
    @garryjeamessorry man,but I don't know what do you mean,please explain a bit better!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely studies ... really like what you do!

- BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

38. The Following User Says Thank You to shambok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @shambok:Thanks Man!

Continued the face from yesterday and made an even shittier one to top it off...

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A Barcsay & Szunyoghy könyv is jó csak gyakoroljál sokat Töltsd fel ide azokat a rajzokat is had lássuk! A rajzaid (festmények) jók de kisebb anatómiai pontatlanságok, bizonytalanságok vannak sok helyen.

Good job, keep it up!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the puppy and the variations on the face keep up the good work( try not to care to much about surface finish and just learn from the process)

An Artist strives for Perfection, but never truly wants to find it, Creativity is Controlled Mistakes

"Carl Anthony Springer"

"those who ask a stupid question is stupid for a second. but those you do not ask the question is stupid for ever!"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

43. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoaaaaa!!! Long time no see, mate!

Congrats on your tablet! And nice on your character concept! Good job on the upper body, nicely done anatomy and the artwork looks sharp in this resolution. But I still couldn't catch the uniqueness or the "special point" of the character. Judging from his cloth and weapon, is he an assassin? But somehow bare-chested and bald character always remind me of barbarian character from Diablo II game. Do you want to make him a Chinese (judging from the hair and smooth face line), or a brutal and fierce fighter? Honestly I still couldn't get that information from the design...

Btw, is this just me or every post on your SB had some skull as the signature??

Visit my Sketchbook!!

Don't forget to check out this hot SB too!!
    DSmith
    Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

Finally I met some fellow comrade from Indonesia
    witcrack

45. The Following User Says Thank You to BluezAce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay guys,I'll take off that "updated at least once a day" part of the title,I just do too much stuff in the summer to keep my promise...

@pixel cheetah:köszi,Szunyoghyból nem nagyon szoktam rajzolni,de mindig nyitva van az asztalomon hogyha valami nem tiszta anatómiai szempontból.Barcsay stílusát annyira nem szeretem,de neki is jó rajzai vannak amúgy.
    Hát ja,sajna az anatómiai részben még elég sz@r vagyok,de talán ez idővel fejlődni fog

@CarlSpringer:Thanks man,I'll send you a mail soon!

@Yeah,long time no see
    Oh there is nothing to congratulate on the tablet,it's just a tool when I can make cool art with it,then it'll be much better
    Ur right about the design of the character,I think the main problem is that I referenced too much different photos,and it became a bit of a mess...I'll soon make a modelsheet nad an illustration for my client,I'll hopefully clean stuff up there!
    I dunno about the skull tho I don't see skulls in the sig...

So a bit of an update here,I had a lot of problem with this one,I repainted it several times,but finally I got the values and proportions about right...2-3-4 hours...

I also found my favourite brush in Photoshop,it's one of the first 3-4 chalk brushes,the one with size 36 on default.Just turn on pressure on opacity,and it works like a charm!

Last edited by DSmith; August 23rd, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys for the double,I couldn't edit the last one for some reason...
    I forgot to say that I turned 16 about 2 months ago,I'll correct it in the first page of my sketchbook....

EDIT:LOL,I don't have a good memory,when I tried to edit it,I saw that I already did it about a month ago...

Last edited by DSmith; August 23rd, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9