Sketchbook: Dsmith's Sketchbook-'Till I kick the bucket! - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Dsmith's Sketchbook-'Till I kick the bucket!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @IllustratorOrBust:Thanks a lot,man,keep up the good work!

Well,I am extremely tired,I traveled a lot today,so no drawings today,but lemme show the study plans for June(tomorrow is the first day,I hope I can give some massive updates every day):

Attached Images Attached Images  
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy sh*t! An extremely focused study, 8-9 hours everyday! I'm sure you're gonna have a HUGE improvement in 1st July! Kudos on your schedule, and don't worry, I'll be checking it everyday whether you follow the schedule or not! Mwahahahahahaha

P.S: Asking permission to copy some of your schedule. Maybe I'll try to make something similar of that too (it's too tempting to do that!) hehe

Visit my Sketchbook!!

Don't forget to check out this hot SB too!!
    DSmith
    Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

Finally I met some fellow comrade from Indonesia
    witcrack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @BluezAce:Sure thing man,although I don't know if this is an efficient schedule yet,but we'll see!

I decided that I will switch media every day with the studies,so today digital,tomorrow traditional.
    So,moving on to studying,starting NOW!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very ambitious plans, mate! the one thing that disturbs me is the extensive usage of Bridgman. Maybe it's just me, but I found his books a very poor source of reference material - most of his drawings are between crappy and totally unreadable (not to mention that he never really describes how he builds up those - often really complex - bodyparts). Maybe you should consider spicing up your schedule with studies from more masters. Loomis, Bammes, Hogarth and many more offer learning materials of a much better quality than Bridgman.
    Anyway, looking forward to see that endless flow of studies

One more thing: What does Emberine and Obscura stands for?

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Novbert:IDK,for me Bridgman's stuff reads very well.I've learnt a bit about muscles before,and if you've got an anatomy book at your hands,or you've got the muscles in your head,then you can clearly associate the geometric forms to the muscles.Hogarth and Loomis are a bit sterile for me,but they do explain some stuff like heads and hands better than Bridgman.This is just my opinion,I understand if you don't like Bridgman,I hated it half a year before,but now that I started digging into it and studying it,I am loving it more and more!
    Emberine stands for a fantasy RPG game I am doing concept art for,and Obscura is a project that is focused on creating a new universe(like Warhammer,Star Wars etc..)

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay,the very first day of my summer studies is oficially over(unoficially I will be still doing some concepts for an hour or two).
    Here is what I've come up with,I realized how much I suck,the colour photo study was extremely hard,mainly the colour picking part.Well,this was only the first day,I think that I will improve in this stuff in the next 2 and a half months.The only thing bothering me was that I was very slow,because I suck at rendering!I have to get faster!

Also,I'Ve "designed" a penalty system for myself(that's why I still have to do 2 hours of concepts):For every 5 minutes spent browsing webpages or doing other stuff in study time,the session time extends 5+20 minutes.Just a little motivational idea

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay,another 2 hours of stuff,I finally figured out a better way to render the abdominal muscles than putting effin' balls there(althouhg it still sucks...).See ya tomorrow!
    Total studytime on June 16.:10h 21 min(installed a stopwatch program)

EDIT:Also started writing the plotline of "The Coyote Pack"(name might change)to aid the concepting,here is a little prolouge:
    The Coyote Pack

In 2063, WW3 struck the world.As the Earth’s drinkable water supplies were rapidly decreasing due to pollution,the world leaders started to conquer territories in order to gain more of the vital fluid.
    Unlike WW2,where the USA was the last one to join the war,here they were the ones causing the biggest catastrophe int he history of mankind.
    The plan was to eliminate Russians and the Germans,as they had the armies to block the USA forces from invading Europe.The war machine started,they used huge cloaking devices to hide their operations.Some nuclear warheads were stored secretly in underground bases(the countries of the world agreed to destroy all of their nuclear warheads in 2045-also known as the year of the „Nukestop”).
    There were only 3 of these bombs,but they were all bigger than the Tsar Bomba(57 megatons,invented in 1961),the biggest nuclear bomb ever to be used until the Third World War.
    The plan was to drop one on Moscov ,one on Berlin,and one on the asian territories.That would have eliminated the whole European and Asian population,and after 10 years,after the nuclear cloud would disappear,the Americans could capture Europe.
    The plan failed.
    The bombs were launched,but the Russian radars detected the huge plane carrying the bombs.The american leaders knew this,and ordered the plane to drop the bombs,as it was already over Europe.
    The russians had their own nuclear weapons as well,and since they couldn’t do anything,and the impact was inevitable,they launched all of their ballistic nuclear warheads to America to get revenge.
    The impact was devastating,all of the vegetation and animals died,and only 0,0000001 of the people survived.Half of them were infected with huge doses of radiation.THat means that only 5000 people survived the tragedy.
    Our story begins in 2069,in North America…

Last edited by DSmith; June 16th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go go go, DSmith! Keep going!

Your drawings on post #186 looks professional hehehe
    But where's the life drawing result?

Aaaand... what's "The Coyote Park" actually? Is it game's concept art like Emberine, or is it like a graphic novel and such?
    Good luck on Obscura too!! I think maybe in next one or two years I'd start creating my own universe too (although not very detailed, I've got the story and the concept. But I'm still lacking to put it into realization with my drawing ability right now)

I'm pretty agree with Novbert. Sometimes it's hard for me to read Bridgman's drawings (you can see that in my drawing that I'll upload this afternoon). I'll ask your help to explain it next time I have difficulties hohoho

Visit my Sketchbook!!

DSmith
    Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

witcrack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @BluezAce:The life drawing was that coloured arm,it really sucks,I'll have to work on that skill alot.
    THe Coyote Pack is basically a "portfolio project".I want to create a book filled with artwork,the main concept is to show the life of a family in the post-apocalyptic world.
    Thanks for your comment,I'll check your SB today!

Okay,I changed my plans a bit for today,because I really suck at digital rendering,I'm gonna focus on that part a bit,and then move on to some concepts.

CHeers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so it has begun
    Nice studies so far. About your concepts: All of them could use a lot of simplicifation, flattening. You've done great work with those arms studies in terms of defining planes and using flat shading. You should do the same thing with your concepts. Define planes and other areas that has very close values and make them flat (doing a cell-shaded version of your concepts can also be a good idea)
    Another general problem is value range and contrast layout. You tend to use almost pure blacks and almost pure whites in every sketch which isn't bad, but they are all over the place. Dont't forget that contrast defines focus so you should only put it to places you want the viewer to focus on. Again: you should group things and dare not to separate every bit of clothes and gear by lines and separate shading.

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Novbert:Wow,thanks a lot!I didn't know what the f was wrong with my concepts,but seems like you found one of the problems.Thanks a lot again!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be going out in the evening,so I don't know if I can update tonight.
    I figured that it would be pointless to do monster arms without knowing the anatomy,so I sketched a few more studies in my sketchbook,I'll scan them in ASAP.
    Also,I started a painting of Megan Fox,this is how it looks like now:

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay,a bit of progress on the portrait(I am soo afraid of the hair,I'll do some more concepts and studies before doing it,I don't wanna ruin the portrait)
    A proportion concept(waiting for team member to approve,then I can move on to rendering)
    And a standard warrior/guard of the Ghatan nation in Emberine.
    I'm gonna do some more drawings on paper,but I won't be able to scan them today.
    Total worktime today:9h 34min(my friend came over to watch some movies,so I could only work in the morning and at night,that's the reason for the decrease.Tomorrow I'll try to do 11h)

Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDE thats such a good idea!!!! i want to try what your doing to man with that schedule.
    thanks for those tutorials and those brushes + the tips really good stuff there man.

good updates man keep it up!=D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That proportion study looks promising but both on it and on that warrior concept there's something very weid going on in the chest area. Both of them looks kinda muscular, yet if you check the midline of the torso you'll find that it suggest that it's hollow, not bumpy. Nipples are also misplaced on both.
    I'd refer to your arm structure studies again. There you used basic forms, blocks to create the sense of mass. You should try to do the same thing when it comes to character rendering - at least in the early stages. Basic forms and midlines - that's where it all should start.
    About Megan: she looks okay, but this photo is really not the best as it's lit in a way that hides all the forms of the face. You could paint the whole skin of the face with the same flat tone without losing any important information. Generally speaking it's not a good idea to use photosopped photos as a reference - at least for skin shading studies. Those retouching folks always remove all the shades fromt the skin and the face to make it look more beautiful.
    Fortunately you can find much more usable references for Megan in minutes. I'd use these - or some of this kind instead, cause with your current ref you can only test whether you're able to put facial features on a flat surface or not (which is basically not different from simple line drawing).
    Keep on sketchin', man!

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lightmode108:Thanks man,really appreciate your comments!
    @Novbert:Thanks for your daily critique,you help me a lot!I didn't really study the torso yet,so that's why it's a bit wonky(but still,messing up the midline was a pretty stupid mistake...),but I'll do some studies in an extra hour!Also,thanks for the heads up on the portrait,I'll try to use better reference from now on!
    Thank you,you are helping A LOT!!!

Okay,today I'll study the muscles of the arm in more detail,and then do some more concepts(maybe a photo painting as well,I want to improve that stuff!)

Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay,I managed to learn the muscles of the arm(in the first,light shaded image,I managed to do the light overpaint on the SAME layer with the lines,so everything got messy,and I didn't clean up everything because it would have taken a lot of time,sorry 'bout that,I know it looks like sh_t!),but I think I'll still have to do a lot of arm studies to perfect the shapes.
    This was around 6 hours,now I still have to do a photostudy and some conepts.Another update in the evening!

CHeers!

Last edited by DSmith; June 18th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have improved so much its amazing!

An Artist strives for Perfection, but never truly wants to find it, Creativity is Controlled Mistakes

"Carl Anthony Springer"

"those who ask a stupid question is stupid for a second. but those you do not ask the question is stupid for ever!"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CarlSpringer:Thanks man,I can say the same for your work!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dsmith what book are you drawing your Bridgman studies from

An Artist strives for Perfection, but never truly wants to find it, Creativity is Controlled Mistakes

"Carl Anthony Springer"

"those who ask a stupid question is stupid for a second. but those you do not ask the question is stupid for ever!"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CarlSpringer:Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks i think i have one of his anatomy books i will have to get the rest

"Carl Anthony Springer"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey good to see such dedication to your work, just a couple of things be mindful of proportions and measurements in your studies i have noticed good rendering but at times those two elements being off in some of your sketches keep them from holding together, always keep that in mind when one thing is off in your drawing your going to compensate for it wether you notice it or not more often than not this is a bad thing and it ends up throwing off the rest of the drawing. a tip that was given to me was to get something right before moving on to the next part and this insures that the rest of the drawing comes out the way you want it to. second always keep in mind to measure and get correct proportions most importantly when studying or working from observation the more you do this the more ingrained it becomes and it will help to improve your own work wether from observation or working from the top of your head "the more tools you have and the greater understanding you have of them will allow you to do better work regardless of the medium"

one more thing, life drawing is a big help in improving your skills id suggest grab a sketchbook (maybe a smaller one thats easier to carry around) and just do at least an hour a day in it of drawing from observation or whenever you have some down time, environments, people, anything that interest you. ive notice that youve done alot of studies from books and what not but nothing beats what you can learn from direct observation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @madsamuri2240:Thanks,I will definitely pay more attention to proportions and structure in the future,I agree that they can make or break a drawing.Also,life drawing is something I haven't done in a long time(at least in my sketchbook),but all of my sketchbooks are full right now,gotta go to the city and purchase some,so I can go on with the traditional stuff as well.Thanks a lot for taking the time writing all those advice!Thank you!

Okay,last update for today:
    -A photostudy of an UFC Wrestler delivering the final blow(with some steps)
    -Some concept shit,I really have to get better at rendering cause this won't work out for long...I will get crazy if I get these results next month...
    I will continue and finish the creature with blobs on it,I just wanna spend an afternoon rendering stuff and practicing color.
    So that's it tomorrow is hand day!

C&C welcome!
    Cheers!

Last edited by DSmith; June 18th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
    MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry,but thread didn't get bumped.Bump!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the UFC piece look great your painting has improved alot

"Carl Anthony Springer"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CarlSpringer:Thanks man!
    Some bad news:my scanner got f*cked up again...I won't be able to show the hand studies,but here are some freelance stuff I am doing:

CHeers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damnit,this freelance work is taking up all my time!

Well,at least I practice some stuff other than anatomy...here are some BACKPACK concepts!Never seen that coming,huh?(the image with only one backpack on it is the final design)

Anyway,these guys are pretty serious about what they are doing,and if I work hard,I might get lotsa money,so this project is first priority now!
    I am doing studies at least 3 hours a day as usual,but they are in pencil because I don't want to work all digital,my hands really hurt after using a tablet for 6 hours straight,and then it is nice to return to good ole' pencil!

I've got to do some face concepts tomorrow,and I really suck at faces,so I have to switch my study plans around a bit...

That's all folks,see ya tomorrow!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa... Been few days and sure you've drawn alot! Nice effort, DSmith! Keep going!

About commenting...
    The first is about the chest. It still looks flat, both from your warrior concept and Andraos concept. Maybe it would be better if you try to imagine it more in 3D and represent it as a cylindrical object.
    The second, Andraos' arms are still out of proportion. I think lenghtening it about half of the size of the head would do better

For the cloth, it's not really a critique or else, but reading this may useful for you...
    http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2008...-part-one.html
    http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/2008...ds-part-2.html
    It's a blog post with Famous Artist Course attachment on cloth's folding chapter. Hope it help

Cool concept on the backpacks, I like no 2 the best! And I really like Xhalei's concept too! But it somehow Xhalei seems that he has no neck...

Oh yeah, have you put the arm and hand anatomy study for imagination drawing? Just make sure you test it a lot hehehe...

Visit my Sketchbook!!

DSmith
    Seraph Fawkes
    Novbert

witcrack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @BluezAce:Thanks man,I really don't know how could I fuck up the proportions so much...will pay much more attention to that in the future!
    I will do some photostudies of the torso,I think those would help the most when it comes to shading,or maybe I should look at those Loomis people broken down into planes...I want to improve it,and hopefully I will!
    And thanks for the drapery reference,it will help me a lot for the thing I am planning for tomorrow!
    Thanks again for the crit,be cold hearted and write down everything that sucks!That's the best way to help me!

Cheers!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9