Pursuing Art School....need advice !

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pursuing Art School....need advice !

Alright, please bear with me for the semi-long read because your help and input will be extremely appreciated.

I am currently in junior standing in college and attending a traditional 4 year University as a Business major but I've slowly started to realize over the years that this is NOT what I want to do. I really really want to pursue further education in the Arts, preferably Advertising and/or Graphic Design.

In high school I never took any art classes but I took a couple figure drawing classes in my current University, I wasn't very good at it and I'm not very good at drawing, but I'm 100% sure a career in Advertising/Graphic Design is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I know that in order to get into an Art school such as Pratt, New School, SVA.. you need a portfolio mainly consisting of still life drawings in different mediums.

I know that drawing should be fundamental and almost second nature for art students but I'm just not that great at it.

Can you guys recommend me any books to look at/buy to make my portfolio top notch?
    I've looked at some of the tutorials on here and am working with a few of them right now.

Also.. the traditional "Dummies" book "Drawing for Dummies" seemed like a great book but it also seemed kind of basic, do you guys recommend that at all ?

All input is greatly appreciated ! Thank you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd look into the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. I've found that it helps a lot of newbies get started and get better rather than get frustrated by looking at complicated drawing books. I never used it, but I know a lot of people who can attest that they drew much better after using the book. I'm in love with my Bridgman books, personally, but they may be too complicated for a beginner to get into. Draw. Draw everything. Spend at least an hour every day. Nothing is more important, and as long as it's from life, the subject is of less importance. Draw hands, still life's, people at the coffee shop. Never erase, just draw, draw, draw until you want to throw away the pencil. Also, keep attending life drawing classes... good luck at preparing your portfolio.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.