Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    ooooh i like that style Pomelo

here's what im working on

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    First time entering the CHOW fray, so be gentle...

Anyways, here's my take on Dracula.

Chow 178:: Hallowe’en special: Universal monsters

Little bit radical, I know. Admittedly inspired by Guillermo Del Toro, I based Drac's look on Polish/Asian folklore where Vampires used a stinger-tongue to suck their victim's blood...
    Kieran Madden:Official Site

Click here for my all-new, super-happy DeviantArt page.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kmadden2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    started my dracula
    really amazing work posted up from everyone.

Thanks
    Here's my contribution to this mash of monsters, The Bride and The Creature. Still very very rough.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Yo dudes and gals! This CHOW is looking mighty fine! I didn't get time over from school enough to continue on my CHOW directly (ahhhh exams!). But the last couple of hourse I doodled something, and thought I would post it here, cause it's semi-related, maybe I'll put it up in CHOW if I can do that.

I wanna thank Jason Snair and gerezon, although I scrapped Dracula I value your critique a lot, I will take it with me in the future.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Black Lagoon Creature wip

...Finalizing my design on this creature.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Markito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Adam S, I love this monster romance, the mood lighting is great and it's sexy!!
    Attorney, thank you for using me as a model for a monster, very flattered and looking good.
    Jailhouse, I will bring some life to the piece, thanks so much!!
    gerezon, you asked and I think your piece looks great, there may be something strange with the Monster right foreshortening, maybe the arm part is too thick for the angle. Get a second opinion, but not a deal breaker, I love his feet!!!!!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    More updating...note to self, must...get...tablet...

I was going for that thing where everything is in black and white, except for things of a certain color - in this case, the Red DarkOps insignia...

Probably won't put this one up in the finals thread as I've got more studying to do, and loads of work to do on this CHOW before I could get it presentable...so, somethings gotta give.

Thanks
    I need help.

I was worried about pushing the design too far and get out of topic (didn’t want to end up with “teen wolf”). There are indeed differences between the original versions and the Universal versions. I reckon that, staying away from the Universal vision would render the CHOW guideling useless as the briefing is about “Universal Monsters”, and not just plain classic Monsters.

So I’m trying to stick to Universal concept and time period (not much graphic violence, black & white). My fear is that, working within this limits, might result in a classic and unoriginal design. Maybe I am the only limitation.

The Wolfman

For the Wolfman, I tried to maintain the human appearance, accentuated by the civilized outfit. I think that the “Wolfman” of the movie has a much more likeable appareance than the werewolves depicted by legends, which are represented as vicious big wolves (check Wikipedia for some terrifying examples).

My problem is that I couldn’t think of any redefinition of the character. I just wanted dark hair, saliva and little yellow eyes. Every way I choose seems obvious, already done before. It’s a difficult task.

Frankenstein’s Monster

I tried to reinforce the broken man appearance, the abomination of a scientist that wanted to be God. I give the vacant stare of an innocent creature that didn’t ask to be born (I separated the eyes with that purpose).

I’m thinking of adding numbers to each piece of meat. I also make him wear some sort of robe, which has a medical connotation, and is related to newborns and corpses.

So far I couldn't think of any way to make a new use of the classic visual details, such as the metal parts, the costures and the greenish skin.

Finally, I think that an interesting twist would be that the monster’s body is physically attached by a cable to some machine, were the monster’s soul/brain/program is located.

Some interesting facts about these monsters from Wikipedia:

The Wolf Man

It was The Wolf Man that introduced the concepts of werewolves being vulnerable to silver (in traditional folklore, it is more effective against vampires), the werewolf's forced shapeshifting under a full moon, and being marked with a pentagram (a symbol of the occult). These are considered by many as part of the original folklore of the werewolf, even though they were created for the film. Unlike the werewolves of legend, which resemble true wolves, the Universal Wolf Man was an extension of the previous 1935 Werewolf of London in which both primary characters are a hybrid creature unlike the traditional interpretation. The Wolf Man stood erect like a human, but had the fur, teeth and claws and savage impulses attributed to wolves in folklore.

The Wolf Man is one of three top-tier Universal Studios monsters without a direct literary source. The others are The Mummy and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Frankenstein’s monster

In the novel, how Frankenstein builds the creature is only obscurely described, references being made to a long slow process born from a combination of new scientific principles and ancient alchemical lore. Whereas the movies precisely depict the methodology by which their version of the monster is created, showing Frankenstein robbing graves of the recently dead and using the organs and body parts to reconstruct a new human body. This process culminates with the harnessing of a lightning bolt to awaken the creature, a scene famously depicted with great spectacle in the 1931 film. Despite their at best limited presence in the original novel, the idea of the patchwork body of dead flesh and massive discharges of electricity being key to the genesis of the monster have become commonly associated with the Frankenstein story.

In contrast with later film adaptations the monster in the original novel was not created from dead body parts. In fact Frankenstein himself concedes that he later found that reversing death was impossible. While the exact details of the monster's construction are left ambiguous Shelley's depiction of the monster is akin to that of a golem. Frankenstein explains that he has been forced to make the monster much larger than a normal man, in part because of the difficulty in replicating the minute parts of the human body. After giving the monster life, Frankenstein, disgusted by and fearful of the monster's appearance, flees. Henry Clerval comes to Ingolstadt to study with Frankenstein, but ends up nursing him after his exhausting and secretive efforts to create a human life. Frankenstein recovers from his illness in a fortnight. He determines to come home, for his five-year-old brother William has been found murdered.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LeoListens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys, the work done so far is amazing and inspired me to get involved.

This is my first post in Chow so I'd love some feedback.

I can't wait to see everyone's finals.

Update 1

Update 2
    Last edited by davidjohnkeen; November 5th, 2009 at 08:33 AM.
    Check out my sketchbook here

Copyright ©2007-2009 David Keen. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to davidjohnkeen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello there

just a quick spottin of my Creature scribbles - not sure if I ll make it to a finished version, yet its a great topic I might pick up to work on later - idea is 'Universal Classics Go Grindhouse', turning them into the cheesy, cheap yet lovable flicks of an era now gone.

Last edited by jamtob2; November 5th, 2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: made a missy mistake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnaree View Post
    Asif! I love your process! Thanks for sharing. Also, this my first time joining in as well.
    Very nice of you to say, Kinnaree. I'm glad to hear you joining as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gerezon View Post
    burntsienna Very nice sketches!

Here's what I think is pretty much my final frankenstein, unless you have something that I should fix?
    Thanks, mate. Nice work on the Frankenstein. I like the mood and the pose. You get extra points for throwing in the Halloween flare!

Gaius - nice progression. He has the feel we have all come to know. Nice work so far.

Wiggers - Nice to see you're coming to the finish line. Nice background.

Jason - Liking the poster idea.

Pomelo - I'm already diggin' your color scheme.

Kmadden2004 - Welcome mate and join the club. There are many first times for this CHOW.

Markito - Hehe, I am diggin' your concept. Can't wait to see the finale.

LeoListens - Cool style, LL. Lookin' good.

Great work everyone. Ok time for more updates...

Squared away "THE BRIDE" after a few takes. Here she is in a generic pose, but that will ultimately be her look (barring any ideas that pop up during painting process.) Also provided one of the previous attempts. I wanted to go with her wearing some sort of cloth because it will play better with The Wolfman in their joined pose.

Still trying to figure out the right combination of size and quality for the jpegs. It still looks a bit fuzzy, but I don't want to make them too large.

Btw, the final piece is underway. Will post asap.

Good luck to all!!!
    Last edited by burntsienna; November 5th, 2009 at 07:23 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to burntsienna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Done.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiggers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wiggers:Great job!congratulations

24. The Following User Says Thank You to diissar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Wiggers - Amazing result, ovations to you for doing 3 of the monsters. Somehow I thought you should have trown a bit more rimlight on the Wolfmans face, it almost mixes into his torso a bit and makes it hard to see. Other then that superb!

burntsienna - I think that 900 pixels in height of an image works well, you can see all on the screen then. As for her, the pose may seem a bit generic as you said, but it works very well. Looking good so far, can't wait to see wolfman in the pic.

davidjohnkeen - Glad you could join! That is a really good start, pretty funny aswell. Watch out on his legs, imo they should be a bit thicker to be able to support all that wolfy weight.

LeoListens - Wow those are awesome! Your Wolfman got a LOT of personality already I can see, Frankensteins Monster is good aswell but Wolfman just kicks ass!

El Capohan - Hehe, nice cartoony Wolfman. Just watch out on the feet, they seem a bit too big.

Markito - Hahaha awesome design! Really looks like something I fished up last summer, although minus legs and arms thankfully. Looking forward seeing it with colour on.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    here is my rough WIP first step

cheers
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    little update om the fish man
    - - - - - - - - - -

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Creature from the black lagoon is forced to work as a children's entertainer.

I am going to add some kids and two puppets hanging from his fingers when I get a chance tomorrow.

Comments please.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoListens View Post
    I need help.

I was worried about pushing the design too far and get out of topic (didn’t want to end up with “teen wolf”). There are indeed differences between the original versions and the Universal versions. I reckon that, staying away from the Universal vision would render the CHOW guideling useless as the briefing is about “Universal Monsters”, and not just plain classic Monsters.

So I’m trying to stick to Universal concept and time period (not much graphic violence, black & white). My fear is that, working within this limits, might result in a classic and unoriginal design. Maybe I am the only limitation.
    It's not going to be easy to be truly original while sticking to the spirit of established characters. In real life, how well you succeeded can vary depending on the whims of the client. If you don't know the client's tastes very well then you just have to come up with the best possible adaptation of your own style to the brief and run like hell with it. If it's good, but not what they were looking for, they may very well give more detail about what they were looking for and give you a little more time. To me, it looks like you are doing fine. I especially like that you have dared move away from the flat top look. If that was an absolute requirement for a Universal Frankenstein Monster, then why didn't the Bride have one?

One of the things that intrigued me about the book was that the doctor was designing his creation toward beauty or physical perfection and it was only after it was animated that he decided it was loathsome. (We are not working from the book here, though).
    Last edited by arttorney; November 5th, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks
    So much great stuff coming out it's really mind boggling, I took a look at my earlier post and Dang! not good enough, so here's a new doodle, may finish this one yet

Thanks
    heres mine so far

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys...Ill run back and thank your posts individually.
    Heres a small update, been noodling the face, not much else crits arte welcome!
    and I love some of the stuff thats coming out!
    lets keep thisparty rocking! yeah!!!
    Attachment 821432

Thanks
    Entering CHOW for the first time. Here's a young Dracula. Some critique would be great, I'll continue tomorrow.

My sketchbook is bigger than yours.
    (not really)

Cool people you might want to check out:

Dy.laneA

Thanks
    Little update

cheers
    - - - - - - - - - -

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Randis, looking great, but it's pushing the three quarter rule a bit. We need to see at least down to the knees, and preferably the whole body.

To those new to ChOW, remember to double check the instructions.

Thanks
    I was planning to finish it for tonight, but still im not satisfied. Will remove the teddybear and sharpen footsteps. Also maybe will splatter some paint over the leaves

Thanks
    I wasn´t happy with my sketch so I did some more and this is what I have so far, I think it´s more original than my previous ones and more of a re-design. Also a more interesting angle.
    EDIT: The post decided to show. Removed pic.
    Last edited by Mumph; November 5th, 2009 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks
    Hmm, I just posted but I can´t see my post, strange (the post before this one). Anyways, i´ll just attach it to this one.
    Basically´I didn´t like my sketches and decided to sketch some more, and this is where i´m at right now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Randis, looking great, but it's pushing the three quarter rule a bit. We need to see at least down to the knees, and preferably the whole body.
    Np, fixed.

here some lil update,

cheers
    - - - - - - - - - -

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Probably final WIP. Been a pretty horrible week but I've got the standard figure complete at least - will be trying to get the face shot done and a bit of a background if things improve and some more free time appears. But if not I'll try to submit it like this. Can't quite decide between colour or B/W yet.

Comments-
    Randis: Cool design, loving the shark features around the head. Something really makes me cringe about the teeth and gums.. in a good way of course.
    Mumph: Good start, the cape and high collar should make for an interesting piece.
    Wiggers: Interesting take on the characters. The hulking Frankenstein's monster and Wolfman are awesome... it's not really related but I love the windmill in the background too.
    Gerezon: The lighting on the edges makes this quite striking now and the texture on the face is wonderful.
    Replies-
    Walnut: Thanks - possibly some basic castle wall, I'm not sure - depends on time really. Nice take with the emo twist there... who would have thought Frankenstein would look good with an emo fringe?
    Carnifex: Haha cheers.
    Xerxyz: Thank you, I was trying to go for sort of plastic surgery bruising with the idea that her face has been patched together so it would be leaking and lumpy... but she is still a bride and has been created as a beautiful mate and so on. Yeah, I noticed the autopsy stitches! Ghoulish minds think alike. I like the face in yours, completely horrifying - the body and general setup makes me think of some gory film from the 70s I can't remember the name of...

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast