Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for posting this Mr. Whitaker. I've learned so much from you through your tutorials, and just going through your sketchbook. I feel like you've taught me more than any painting teacher I've ever had.

As for your Mary Sauer Flesh color, do you mix up a bunch of that and then tube it up yourself? Or do you mix it up fresh every time you paint.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    bandaidboy12,

What a nice thing to say! Thank you.

My palette has changed a lot over the years, but I hope I'm making better choices and decisions all the time. I'm finding Mary Sauer useful enough that I've put it in tubes. I start with a lot of white, add Raw Umber to taste, and then add the Terre Verte. Terre Verte is a very weak color so I have to add a lot.

I've mixed colors long enough that I can do them by instinct. However, if you wish to make a tubed tint, I suggest you measure and keep notes. So many inches of white, so many inches of this color, so many inches of that.

I'd like to make a series of videos. One of them would be on tubing your own paint.
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For someone like me, who is only looking at being able to start with oils in a year or two (don't have the space to keep oils away from my very young children but they are getting old enough) These, as well as your sketchbook are pure gold.

I preparing to learn oils from the base I find that I can see a lot of theory that I wish to try out in practice.

Tubing your own colours is not even a term I am aware of and anything like that would be just wonderful to learn.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Studio C,

The folks at Massive Black are going to make a few DVD's on me. I am planning one on tubing your own paints.

I have other ideas too, and of course Trekell made a little video on brush care with me.

http://www.trekell.com/Caring-for-yo...hes_ep_29.html

I would like to make DVD's on the way I mix colors, paint skin, paint figures, paint heads, prepare my painting surfaces, studio setups for those with limited space, and a lot of other stuff. If any of you have subjects you'd like to see covered, let me know.
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I believe preparing painting surfaces and studio setups for limited spaces would be most helpful.

I recently ordered some trekell brushes after seeing that you used them, and I tested them out today and was a little disappointed. They are very limp and unresponsive. Also this is probably only a problem with filberts, but the two sides of the brush criss cross eachother, and while I can shape them with paint, they don't hold that shape. Are these just qualities of the brushes? Or are mine defective?
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quick (and possibly stupid) question Mr. W., In previous posts you talked about studies on tracing paper, did you back them with a consistently coloured paper or leave them as is?
    It seems that for anything on tracing paper/velum, the overall effect would be massively influenced by what is behind the thing.?

Or is it more a case of "just a study that will be thrown away, doesn't matter.."?

Love your work btw.

OK, one last random fanboy question, who do you look to as inspiration?

Edit: Ta Bjoern, missed that post.
    Last edited by Flake; November 11th, 2009 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks
    Flake Here´s the answer to your question (grey Canson paper between the frosted Mylar and the foam core board).
    www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bjoern3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pariano, I too had trouble with Trekell filberts, but then someone on a different forum turned me on to their Long filberts. They are outstanding. For my style, they are the best general purpose brushes I've ever tried.

Brushes are very personal beasts. Their Kolinsky watercolor rounds are exactly right for my personal oil painting style. You will have to experiment with brushes until you find the perfect ones for you. When you do however, I suggest you buy as many as you can! There seems to be an unwritten law that says when you find the perfect tool, the manufacturer will discontinue it!

Flake, For tracing paper sketches, I usually just work on the pad and then tear them out when I'm finished. I tape them on the wall until they're dry and then keep them in a flat portfolio. I have no plans to frame them.

When I use frosted Mylar, I usually tape the mylar to a sheet of black foam core board. The Mylar over the black foam core looks like a midtone grey.

Inspiration? Vast number of artists, living and dead.
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Whitaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Eep I should have specified, I actually meant the long filberts. My most favorite brushes are Winsor and Newton's Monarch's and American Painter. Both of which are synthetic and so I wanted to try some natural brushes out. Problem with Monarch is that they dont have any bigger brushes tailored to larger format paintings which sometimes indirectly determines my canvas size for me. I cant be too disappointed, at least with what I paid for trekell's brushes. I got two very large size 8 long filberts for only $4 each!
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    So insightful - especially the mediums you use and the tip for using old telephone directories for brush-wiping (something that never dawned me at all!).

Thanks
    Willam,

Question on this process. Is each layer fully dried before you go to the next one??

Thanks
    Mr Whitaker, when you mentioned high quality tracing paper in your first post, will 25 lb paper be sufficient to keep the paint from soaking through, or should I look for something heavier ?

Thanks
    andymania,
    Touch dry.

wim,
    I'm sure it is excellent. What you're looking for is paper that will last - at least your lifetime - so you can refer back to your color studies.
    William Whitaker
    www.williamwhitaker.com

i move around alot i dont like to be in one place too long i live in chicago now but in a month or so i am moving to florence
    Thanks
    thats is just wonderfull it realluy really helped me understand flesh tones thank you

Thanks
    thanks this tutorial is great, not often do people get to learn such details about the processes of painting thanks again, your paintings are superb!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    i'm really excited about painting in oils now. you have shown it to be such an easy process, yet i know that you are probably on your 22,000th hour by now.

i am only beginning in oils and am soaking in all the information you post like a sponge. although my brain leaks all the time and i have to resort to printing out a lot of your tips on paper for future reference.

thank you for posting this treasure of a thread! i am eagerly anticipating future updates!

Thanks

Thanks

I spent 5 years on academy of fine art in my country and my professor
    didn't teach me this. I'd like to say many thaks for your tutorial you are best
    professor that I ever had. I visited your site and I may say "You are my favorite painter" from now. Could You please, please, make another tutorial about oil painting technique?

Thanks
    you are like my most fav artist on CA! i check ur sketchbook soooo often xD please take a loot at my sketchbook, i have sketched a "copy" of one of ur pieces, hope u like it and dont mind it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    Studio C,

The folks at Massive Black are going to make a few DVD's on me. I am planning one on tubing your own paints.

I have other ideas too, and of course Trekell made a little video on brush care with me.

http://www.trekell.com/Caring-for-yo...hes_ep_29.html

I would like to make DVD's on the way I mix colors, paint skin, paint figures, paint heads, prepare my painting surfaces, studio setups for those with limited space, and a lot of other stuff. If any of you have subjects you'd like to see covered, let me know.
    This is great! Its fantastic to have a fine art veteran to follow. Your work is marvellous!

Thanks for taking your valuable time out to do this tutorial. I am just starting oil painting myself and really took a lot from that lesson. Looking forward to more.

Hope you don't mind me asking you a question....

...I know the learning process is different for everyone but, what would you say is the best learning curve for a beginner or perhaps the best bit of advice you can give to a beginner?

Thank you again!

James.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2