Learning art by yourself - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ....at a tremendous cost. You can buy books on all these subjects at a fraction of the cost. The only valid reasons to go to college and grad school at today's prices are

1. it'll certify you for a specific career, with a salary high enough to pay off your debt.
    2. Scholarships and/or financial aid make it free.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes I always wonder why art schools are so fricken expensive.
    I really don't understand. A standard normal Bachelor degree in engineering / HR / accounting etc., costs way less than those US$160,000 art schools.

Maybe all the lecturers are of the old masters' standards, and all the materials provided are made of top-grade platinum. And maybe they hire Hollywood celebrities as models for students to draw.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing is free TASmith. Time and money my friend, you're going to pay one way or the other.

And, as far as Art School vs. University, I would definitely go with University. I went to a small state university then went to SAIC for some post-bac. Other then status level, there was no difference in the courses.

University Cost ($6k a year before Grants and Scholarship, $5.2k after Scholarship)
    SAIC ($30k a year before Grants and Scholarship, $7k a year after applying Grants and Scholarships)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    CK, you did it right, minimizing the costs. Not everyone can do that. The same advice isn't applicable to everyone - some kids get to college not knowing what they want to do yet. If you don't mind my asking, what was your major?

Last edited by TASmith; October 27th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I received a BFA in Fine Arts, majoring in Painting/Drawing and minoring in Art History.

However, I spent my first two years as a political science major, had I not taken Classical and Modern Political Philosophy I would have never had the gumption to commit to a Fine Arts degree. The readings and discussions I had in that course changed my life.

And, as a quick note, I just recently started dabbling in commercial art, my primary studies are centered around a career in academic art. My MA program starts next year, after that I plan on heading to a larger state university for my MFA, which will help once I start looking for a professorship somewhere.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It could work very well for you, however I could NOT do this. My self motivation is terribly low but when I'm at college I work no matter what.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KonnA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    And, as a quick note, I just recently started dabbling in commercial art, my primary studies are centered around a career in academic art. My MA program starts next year, after that I plan on heading to a larger state university for my MFA, which will help once I start looking for a professorship somewhere.
    Just curious, but is there a PhD for art, after getting MFA and BFA?
    I think art is the only discipline that doesn't have a PhD. Maybe there is, but I haven't seen or heard one in my entire life (Doctoral degree in art / PhD in Art).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon- Yes and no. I've heard of a couple PhD programs springing up, alongside honorary doctoral titles (I think Wyeth was conferred one such title)...can't think of any off the top of my head though...but, anyways, they aren't gaining any steam. There are PhD programs in related subjects, like Aesthetic Studies, that do seem to be springing up, but, ultimately, I think there is a consensus that a PhD is just unnecessary in our field....it would kind of be like getting a degree in Bullshitting at that point.

If you're into art and academics there are PhD programs in Museum Studies, Art History, Aesthetic Studies, Critical Theory, and Preservation/Restoration.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am learning by myself right now, since I never went to an art school and are studying COMPLETELY different subjects then art (sometimes I wish I went to art school though...). But I got a great friend who's self thaught and he helps me a lot, encourages me, gives me so much great advice and critique, shows me techniques - he's the one who made me start taking art more seriously. I have been very lazy when it comes to studies and that is why I haven't progressed, I realise that now and there's no excuses for it. But I have decided to really push it now, study more then I have ever before and study hard each day, because I want to reach my goals - even if they seem like a hundred miles away right now I want to reach them soooo bad.

And I have started watching Bob Ross, and he cheers me up as nothing else when it comes to art, and as my great friend say: don't see a drawing that didn't come out as you thought as a failure, see it as a progress, another study on the way to your goal (not exactly his words but you get the point).

Last edited by LORD M; October 31st, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.