C.O.W. #159 -- Bloody, Buggery, Curly-Headed Bloodsuckers of Portsmouth -- WIPs - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: C.O.W. #159 -- Bloody, Buggery, Curly-Headed Bloodsuckers of Portsmouth -- WIPs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

Right, I've decided to keep on painting the bloody bugger, even if it's too human looking, because I just kind of like where it's going. Besides, this is the only one I have any hopes of finishing before the deadline.

I realize the lighting is kind of off, or really just not there, I just got carried away on all the little structures I imagine on his or her body.

Name:  Scan10203-25pct.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  129.8 KB

"HAR! Yea mighty artists of old, and new, ye'rr all dry land buggers conveying a mighty believable salty seaslurpin hag yez all!"
    That's the pirate talking. What he means is he's mightily impressed by everybody's work.

Last edited by Harmageddon; October 29th, 2009 at 03:09 PM.
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bad hairstyled aquatic horror wip 4

some progress done on the mermaid - but i´m still not impressed with the hair - is it curly enough ? (i put some tiny curls...) is it oily enough ? Does it need a pink ribbon ? pigtails maybe ?it looks allready a bit silly - so maybe it wouldn´t make much difference to give it a better hairstyling.... i just think it´s to much hair ... well the briefing says that it got to be some kind of mane...or fur.
    what do you think?
    Well now i´m going to fiddle a bit on the background ...

Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking really cool people!

some more sketching, combining the face of the first pick wit the body of the second in some strange way. More to come

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    almost done , but need more stuff!
    please give feedback.

I shot the sheriff.
    Now I'm the sheriff.

March's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    marschyou should work out the body with more pale skin - looks transparent against the background like you just let the linework on top of the color degree.
    ah - and careful with the haircut ....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaghauk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, two pics. Close to being finished. Should I use the creepy hair, or the ocean seaweed?

Any other comments or critiques are much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking cool so far people!

Duman I think you should go for the creepy hair, but dont have it stop so abruptly, let it grow a bit further up the neck and have it get shorter and cover less the further up it goes.

Acb
    - thanks! waiting to see yours progress.

Edward B - looking great, watch out for the hair though, can't see any.

JoshDArtist - Great piece, I like the colours and the face.. creepy

Sketch done, based on the two other sketches posted a bit further up. This creature can both walk on two legs and all four awh yeah..

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bloody buggery curly hair wip 5

so - that´s it for today - maybe i do a nicer haircut later ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 387 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some time left so I figured I'd throw out some random crits and praise and all that.
    Defiled Visions: You are a sketchaholic aren't ya? I've loved em all so far. Really like your style of painting too so looking forward to that.

Duman: The angle of the hair and the straight profile of the face don't really jive if you know what I mean. You could also submerge him/her a bit more to kind of show better interaction between the creature and the environment. It looks like your light source is fairly strong as well so try throwing a drop shadow on the cliffs behind, it will really help pop this sucker off the screen. Background looks gooood.

Vaghauk: Background looks great, really like the water trail. The hands and the face seem a little chunky, you probably want to focus them in a little more to make them the focal points and give us a lead around the scene. Scary looking dude for sure.

Wiggers: What can I say, every time you show up, you slap the shit out of us with your awesomeness. Beautiful ugly beauty. The skin, comp, poses and pretty much everything else about the image are top notch my friend.

All I've got time for for now, but I'll see you guys in the finals. Good luck everyone!

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Scorge, Love your work mate, very strong!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ugh, sorry for the lack of updates, i've been attacked by a malicious flu virus >_< not sure if i'll be able to finish but i'll give it a go when i get better *crosses fingers for a few days more*
    some crits comments that come to mind-

vaghauk: honestly i really dug your first analogue sketches, they had this cool beluga whale look to them. the pale skin made the blood more striking, a bit late to be throwing that in, sorry. it's a cool beast all the same and i agree with the others that bg is excellent. feels like i'd see it in baldur's gate

defiledvisions: great sketches, i really like the look of the bottom left on in scan 015 but your latest design has some pretty cool elements so meh i like them both guess

duman: i say creepy hair but spread it out a bit more so it feels natural, thinner at the edges of the follicled zone (real medical term, don't bother checking it up >_>)

acb: i really like idea of seeing that underwater swimming past you (or at you ) out of the darkness. i would make the body not so top heavy if it "stands" so tall, it looks like it might just fall over on land. course you could add some shackles and have it supported upright or find some other way around it. i think it's uneven(n?)ess adds to the believability of it, it's not so extreme that it stands out.

steve sommers: wow pretty novel designs, i can really see the guys at the bottom of your first set "stowing" on the underside of ships like barnacles. the one you went with is cool too, i think they look creepier without the eyes (assuming your initial sketch lacked eyes >_>)

harmageddon: keep at it, i for one would love to see this thing finished, the pale undead look is really coming through well.

crowsrock: that thing is pretty horrific i'd like to see this pushed further.

edward b: looking good, feels like an aquatic illthid, i'd try and add a little something more, some tiny feature or change in texture to the skin to add some variety. i really like the spiked shell on its pelvis.

pomelo: beautiful work so far, seriously, i wanna see an update

deathbychris: nice, sorta kraken/medusa thinger, looks great.

scorge: everything is awesome except in my opinion (and possibly only my opinion) the tentacle feets coming out of shins is a little wack looking. on the other hand it would be pretty awesome to see it in motion like some slithering writhing tripod, or maybe like a sidewinder hmm.

dustwind: nice concept, hope to see a more realised version

aestheticmachine: damn, that's creepy, a little texture work would really help out. push it further, i believe in you. btw love the blood.

nhil: i'm liking the mix of wet slimy skin and soft short fur, a little too cute looking for me as a whole

masterpete: i think you shouldn't have cut off so much of the creature on so many sides, it really looks like it's squished in there ready for some photo to be taken. if you check you'll see that the face is really wonky and features seem to deviate from the midline in both directions. however the guy caught in its grasp is really quite well done

joshdartist: i like what you've done with the body, really like the hands but i think the hair is letting it down some, idk to me it looks like it's wearing a wig or it just has a hman head underneath. it's all too straight and styled. looks too (humanconcept of ) cool and that gives it too much character for a creature imo.

and that's it i believe, if i missed you out i'm very sorry. i'm off to get more bedrest

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mythril_golem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Probably won't make it on time, i'm still wondering about my creature back part. Here's what i got at these moment anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mythril- Thanks! I'm gonna get something in, homework be damned!

Some really great stuff going on in here man, you guys are a tough act to follow!
    @Mitch King- Is there gonna be more to that guy than just the head rendered? I like what you have there so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mythril, Scorge thank you!

some wip, dont know where Im heading with this yet

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bloody,buggery,curly-headed Bloodsuckers of portsmouth

I tried to give more focus on the face and the hands and some more contrast to the blood.And in the end i gave her a better curly-hair aswell.
    Hm....is it me or everything looks much brighter when i upload ...?
    Name:  buggerybloody-copy.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  225.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Realized my previous turnaround was a little close to a concept I had already done,so, trying to find a new stance. I'm not great at working with silhoettes yet, so, I just drew up a set of bones and started playing frankenstien with their placement :/ Not really sure which way to go with this at the moment, but I'm gonna decide on something. Hopefully. Gah XP

DefiledVisions- I really really like how the flesh is torn and stretched in that wip.
    Vaghauk- I havent really noticed anything with the values in uploads changing. That said, there is a lot of white in your image- is that what you're talking about?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not going to have time to finish mine, but I'll post what I have. I wanted to interpret the creature as a mutated human that adapted to live in the ocean.
    Name:  WIP1.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  77.7 KB
    Name:  WIP2.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  66.3 KB
    Name:  WIP3.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  93.3 KB

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, seriously kick ass stuff this round guys! I've been out of town until today, gonna try to make the deadline but will be close. Here is my first wip (I know its dark, I usually work up to contrast)

Last edited by evolvingeye; October 30th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to evolvingeye For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think this will have to be the end of it, time is the enemy. hopefully pushed the texture far enough, wanted to keep it just a little subtle so it looks slippery, bloasted and nasty, nothing too bumpy.

thanks for the crits - hope to see lots of entries in the finals

Last edited by AestheticMachine; October 31st, 2009 at 04:24 AM.
    "It's not rocket surgery." _Sebudai

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AestheticMachine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Halloween! Let' get those spooky finals into the finals thread. I will set up the poll around noon CST USA tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    too bad, will not finish before deadline, I suppose, but it was fun

32. The Following User Says Thank You to sepu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang, I wont be finishing mine this week I kind of lost interest in it maybe Ill revisit it later at some point for a personal project. Thanks for the comments JoshDArtist and Mythril. I definitely like Scourges its my fav so far, see ya at the polls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn i didnt know when this cow will be over so i took my time and suddently i read that its for today @_@
    well i think this will be my final

any c&c are welcomed and great stuff ppl ^(^-^)^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

babycritter

might be a bit late throwing in this sketch i scrapped inbetween.But well...why not----
    http://vaghauk.deviantart.com

Last edited by Vaghauk; November 1st, 2009 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

final WIP

hey everyone,
    I took a picture with my phone of the latest stage, the paint is still wet so I can't scan it in time. That's not all bad, since the photo kind of gives it an eery feel.
    @mythril golem: thanks for your supportive comment! I'm nearly there, but I thought I'd upload it anyway in the final section, and see what happens.
    Oh and good health to you, hopefully you've won the battle with the flu by now.

Name:  Afb063-25pct.JPG
Views: 523
Size:  30.4 KB

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.