Art: New Lovecraft minis/chess set - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say I love your style! You do some great work... hope to get there myself one day

Your painting is outstanding!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This reminds me of the deer creature from Princess Mononoke, only more awesome. I envy your detail abilities.

Check out my sketchbook? updated 02.01

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mah ' Crub View Post
    This turned out great! Wonderful paint job.
    I think that you have captured a "Mesmer-klops," an herbivore, that sneaks up on it prey,{ mostly bipedal, tuber-like turnips that run in herds and coveys} and locks its gaze on them,hypnotizing them,with its one eye, freezing them in their tracks, rendering them unable to escape. The Mesmer-klops then, saunters in and eats at its leisure ! Very elusive creatures !

Great beastie!!!
    Mah ' Crub
    Actually I can totally see this guy using its eye to "hypnotise" other creatures. The way I designed them is that they're used by a more "advanced" race, of similar origin, as guards, sentries, soldiers, etc; they do all the dirty work, i.e. fighting, hunting, etc for a race that's too proud and vain to do it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by YoZangWu View Post
    I have to say I love your style! You do some great work... hope to get there myself one day

Your painting is outstanding!
    Thank you much! Been getting a lot of positive comments about the paint job, good to know I'm doing something right--I just sort of mush a bunch of different colours on. ;D
    As far as getting to this point...all I can say is practice till your fingers fall off, and don't be afraid to mess things up and start over!

Quote Originally Posted by Psypomp View Post
    This reminds me of the deer creature from Princess Mononoke, only more awesome. I envy your detail abilities.
    Princess Mononoke was an awesome movie!
    And yes...detail. It's one of those things that takes an immense amount of patience, not to mention self-discipline, to be able to sit and make the same little marks over and over and over. (Those scales. AAAARRRRGGH!!!!) There were quite a few times in the process of putting those scales on where I'd walk past my sculpting station, go "I should work on him...." look at how much scales there were to do, and go "Meh.....maybe tomorrow."

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So do you have an idea for your next one, Jiangzu? This guy turned out great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoJojo View Post
    So do you have an idea for your next one, Jiangzu? This guy turned out great.
    Thankye!

I'm not sure what I'll be doing next. Got a few ideas, been doing a lot of sketches of new creature ideas....but first I must aquire a drill, because trying to make armature stands without one is extremely unpleasant and un-fun.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sculptures are so BADASS!!! Wow I really wish I could sculpt but it ends up looking like some avant garde piece of dog vomit... well at least it did last time I tried which was like 13 years ago when I was 9. O.o

anyway I will be keeping an eye on this thread, it's kick ass awesome! oh and subbed. XD

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztastic View Post
    Your sculptures are so BADASS!!! Wow I really wish I could sculpt but it ends up looking like some avant garde piece of dog vomit... well at least it did last time I tried which was like 13 years ago when I was 9. O.o

anyway I will be keeping an eye on this thread, it's kick ass awesome! oh and subbed. XD
    Thank you! (And that's probably your problem--the last time you sculpted you were 9! I remember the stuff I sculpted when I was 9....urgh. You should give it another try!)

So anyway, it seems like it's been ages since I updated here. At the moment all of my work and energy is going into a short film being made by a good friend of mine--I'm in charge of doing concepts and building stuff. Already done a stack of drawings and one maquette, got another one started. It's going to involve building 4 miniatures, 2 of which will have working machine parts, as well as several elaborate costumes and a creature suit. I won't be posting any of it here until after the film is complete sometime in January of next year. Needless to say I'm not going to have time for many personal projects. Thankfully we're getting together a crew that's going to help with the workload--otherwise I would probably have to quit sleeping in order to be able to get everything built on time!

But anyway, until then, here are some pickled Cthulhu fetuses for your viewing enjoyment. I even made one in pendant form.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ones in the jars are awesome - the liquid's just murky enough to make the whole thing a little vague and unsettling (well, moreso than baby tentacled monstrosities floating in green liquid). They strike me as very Lovecraftian. The one on the pendant is likewise good, but I think the liquid and jar add a little extra "something" that the one in plain view on the chain doesn't quite have. From a painting standpoint (and this could be the lighting in the picture), you have the automatic shading from the jars and lids on the others, but the one on the pendant could maybe do with a deepening of shading in depressions and underneath overhanging tentacles - like around the eyes specifically, for example, or at the base among the "legs." I think that would be just the thing to kick things up a notch to where they ought to be. (I'm sure you're already familiar with this, but coming from a miniature/fine scale figure painting background personally, for anything on a smaller scale than "real life" art-wise, you generally have to bump up the contrast and enrich the coloration/shading moreso than if you were working on a "life size" object.)

That being said, the unobscured one on the pendant is reminiscent of Cthulhu (obviously) but also of the Oghdru Jahad from Hellboy. The incompletely formed tentacled lower half is well done and the tentacled head by itself is modeled excellently - instantly recognizable! I'm liking the concept and their appearance very much! (I'm also looking forwards to seeing stuff you're doing for your friend's film, but it sounds like that'll have to wait.)

Keep your head up! I'm sure the finished works and all the effort will be well worth it, film or no film, judging by what I've seen of your modeling and painting so far - I didn't subscribe to this thread for nothing, after all... 8^)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brilliant colours on your Cthulhu babies!

You need a wierd label and some dirt!

Apart from that I just love them.

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jiangzu

I love these new critters in a jar!

I've always wanted to make something like this, I love the idea of an alien embryo or something similar just floating around in a murky ol' jar!

I do have a question: is that Sculpey in the jar?, will it not soften and fall apart?

Good stuff m8

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinweasel View Post
    The ones in the jars are awesome - the liquid's just murky enough to make the whole thing a little vague and unsettling (well, moreso than baby tentacled monstrosities floating in green liquid). They strike me as very Lovecraftian. The one on the pendant is likewise good, but I think the liquid and jar add a little extra "something" that the one in plain view on the chain doesn't quite have. From a painting standpoint (and this could be the lighting in the picture), you have the automatic shading from the jars and lids on the others, but the one on the pendant could maybe do with a deepening of shading in depressions and underneath overhanging tentacles - like around the eyes specifically, for example, or at the base among the "legs." I think that would be just the thing to kick things up a notch to where they ought to be. (I'm sure you're already familiar with this, but coming from a miniature/fine scale figure painting background personally, for anything on a smaller scale than "real life" art-wise, you generally have to bump up the contrast and enrich the coloration/shading moreso than if you were working on a "life size" object.)

That being said, the unobscured one on the pendant is reminiscent of Cthulhu (obviously) but also of the Oghdru Jahad from Hellboy. The incompletely formed tentacled lower half is well done and the tentacled head by itself is modeled excellently - instantly recognizable! I'm liking the concept and their appearance very much! (I'm also looking forwards to seeing stuff you're doing for your friend's film, but it sounds like that'll have to wait.)

Keep your head up! I'm sure the finished works and all the effort will be well worth it, film or no film, judging by what I've seen of your modeling and painting so far - I didn't subscribe to this thread for nothing, after all... 8^)
    Heh, Cthulhu, Oghdru Jahad, it's all good!

I agree, the little pendant guy doesn't have the same amount of spookiness as the ones in jars. Now, if I could find a wee little bitty jar...(and then people would think I'm even weirder...) Really had to battle with the food colouring to keep the water from being too violently green. I get what you're saying about the little one too, I'm used to painting larger maquettes with natural light and shading, and I don't always remember to put extra shading on tiny things. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you enjoy my pickled babies (though a REAL cthulhu fetus would probably be the size of a bus!) I'm thinking of making a whole series of pickled Lovecraftian monstrosities and lining my shelves with them, they're a lot quicker to make than the big maquettes, so it would be something fun to do in between film stuff. Maybe a starfish-headed Old One, or a spawn of Shub-Niggurath, or a Shantak fetus.....worlds of possibility!

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Way cool...I thought of doing something like that too. I think that if the sculpture is sealed with polyurethane or something, it would be ok in water...although I haven't tried it yet.
    Reminds me of the baby dragon hoax someone did once before [link].

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aseyngel View Post
    Brilliant colours on your Cthulhu babies!

You need a wierd label and some dirt!

Apart from that I just love them.
    Thankye kindly!
    I have a jar of sand somewhere, I was going to throw a pinch in the bottom whenever I find it. Likewise I have some old-fashoined parchment paper, I was going to make labels when I find that, too. (Here's to knowing you have stuff, and having no clue where it's at!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bongsplat View Post
    Hi Jiangzu

I love these new critters in a jar!

I've always wanted to make something like this, I love the idea of an alien embryo or something similar just floating around in a murky ol' jar!

I do have a question: is that Sculpey in the jar?, will it not soften and fall apart?

Good stuff m8
    Thanks! It is Sculpey, I've seen several other people making these kind of things out of sculpey and it seems to be fine. I don't figure it would deteriorate, it's basically plastic/PVC like material, isn't it?

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by VulgarDragon View Post
    Way cool...I thought of doing something like that too. I think that if the sculpture is sealed with polyurethane or something, it would be ok in water...although I haven't tried it yet.
    Reminds me of the baby dragon hoax someone did once before [link].
    Dude...that baby dragon things is awesome, now I want to make something like that. 8D
    My little Cthulhu guys were coated with a couple coats of varnish/sealant so I imagine they'll be fine. I'll just have to wait and see.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like sculpting good jowb best of luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I... I think I love you.

Edit: Drat, you're female. >:l

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aadi View Post
    i like sculpting good jowb best of luck
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RufousPlumage View Post
    I... I think I love you.

Edit: Drat, you're female. >:l
    Thank you....I think. O_O

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings all! Back after an absence--and boy have the last few months been insane! Been arting like mad, built a couple maquettes for a very effects-heavy short film which unfortunately is being put on hold due to lack of budget, though another more managable one is in the works. Found myself an awesome guy as well. Got a couple more sculpture projects in the planning stages that I will be starting shortly!

Anyway, I have been attempting to get some more professional quality setup for photographing sculptures. Made myself a would-be "lightbox" out of a cardboard box and white garbage bags--worked surprisingly well, though a larger box and brighter lightbulbs are in order. What I got turned out decently though; here are some of the results.

Stay tuned for new projects in the near future!

Last edited by SavageGoldfish; August 23rd, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the top one! That is very cool, great skin texture, teeth and everything. The second one I am having problems with. Great looking, colour, texture, excellence of execution but the asymmetric single horn and eye? Keep looking at it and find that my eyes are sliding over the single eye and looking at what appears to be an eye slit? Found that if I place a finger onto the screen occluding the eye slit the piece suddenly works really well. But hey that is just me. I am an engineer after all and as such need constant challenges.

We are remembered only by what we leave behind.

http://www.kilts.co.nz/WheelerKnives.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff like yours makes me feel all inspired to try my hand at sculpey again...but then after a few hours I remember I have no talent at it and couldn't sculpt to save my life x.x
    I give you massive props for your ability to work in such a tough medium. I would love to see a video of you working sometime, to see how you hold the tools and whatnot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipunga View Post
    Really like the top one! That is very cool, great skin texture, teeth and everything. The second one I am having problems with. Great looking, colour, texture, excellence of execution but the asymmetric single horn and eye? Keep looking at it and find that my eyes are sliding over the single eye and looking at what appears to be an eye slit? Found that if I place a finger onto the screen occluding the eye slit the piece suddenly works really well. But hey that is just me. I am an engineer after all and as such need constant challenges.
    Thanks very much!
    What appears to be an eye slit is actually a nostril, and it's not quite that black-looking in person, it's just the lighting on the photograph; I've doodled those creatures countless times and finally decided to flesh them out as a realistic looking thing. I was going for a sort of "uncomfortable" look with the head, hence the single horn and nostrils pushed up the side of the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwynne View Post
    Stuff like yours makes me feel all inspired to try my hand at sculpey again...but then after a few hours I remember I have no talent at it and couldn't sculpt to save my life x.x
    I give you massive props for your ability to work in such a tough medium. I would love to see a video of you working sometime, to see how you hold the tools and whatnot.
    Thank you! I find sculpture quite relaxing, and I've come to enjoy it far more than drawing or painting. I actually am planning on doing some live-streaming video of my next large sculpture, hopefully you'll be able to find something useful in it! Glad I could give you some inspiration ;P

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi sweetie, congrats on the love thing, a good mate is hard to find. Love the new pic's of the beasters. Sorry the film thing is on hold, I know you put your heart and soul into it.
    I am actually writing a screen play for a short film I want to do called," Rent-a-Fool." Something I have wanted to do for a long time. Loads of fun!!!!!!
    Good luck and get back to work.

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi sweetie, congrats on the love thing, a good mate is hard to find. Love the new pic's of the beasters. Sorry the film thing is on hold, I know you put your heart and soul into it.
    I am actually writing a screen play for a short film I want to do called," Rent-a-Fool." Something I have wanted to do for a long time. Loads of fun!!!!!!
    Good luck and get back to work.

Mah ' Crub
    Haha, thanks! A good mate is extremely hard to find--a male version of me was even harder to find!

We've had to switch tracks on the film thing due to budget (as in, lack thereof) but the one we're doing now will cost far less, and it's a quirky off the wall comedy, which should be just as fun.

That's cool you're writing a script, mind if I ask what it's about?

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty, as promised, new sculpting project is underway! Bitty Lovecraftian monstrosities! This guy is one of the members of the "Great Race of Yith" featured in "Shadow out of Time." At 3 inches tall, he's actually kind of cute...though I imagine running into one that was 10 feet tall and 10 feet wide like in the story would be rather unnerving. He's part of an H.P. Lovecraft creature themed novelty chess set I'm working on, and as soon as I finish the set and can pull the money out of the ether for casting materials, I will be casting them for sale. Woo, enjoy!

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This guy looks cool. I guess bizarre minds work alike. I too have made molds for a chess set, mine are scary clowns. I don't have the money to cast them but the silicone molds are all done. I also want to make a chess board that looks like a circus wagon with a tent dust cover. Maybe someday.

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's an excellent idea you got...a Lovecraftian chess set! Which piece is it going to be? I imagine that Cthulhu would be the king. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This guy looks cool. I guess bizarre minds work alike. I too have made molds for a chess set, mine are scary clowns. I don't have the money to cast them but the silicone molds are all done. I also want to make a chess board that looks like a circus wagon with a tent dust cover. Maybe someday.

Mah ' Crub
    Haha, scary clowns! Sounds cool. I'm still debating what I'm going to do about the chess board on mine, but I have to pull the money to make molds and cast the pieces anyway. (Hooray for being a starving artist!)
    A friend of mine is mortally terrified of clowns. Don't really know why--a lot of people around my age seem to have that problem. Most complain that their parents/older siblings/uncle/family friend or someone made them watch Stephen King's IT when they were little. I watched IT when I was 6, and I thought it was funny....

Quote Originally Posted by VulgarDragon View Post
    That's an excellent idea you got...a Lovecraftian chess set! Which piece is it going to be? I imagine that Cthulhu would be the king. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.
    Thanks! The above fellow is going to be the bishop, and yes, Cthulhu is of course going to be the king.

Next up, a teeny little Shoggoth for the pawns. Still playing around with the design, might go back and tweak it a bit.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another chess piece done; an Elder Thing. Cute little miniature version of the starfish headed monstrosity I did before. This little guy is about 2.5 inches tall, going to be the rook in my set.

...I think he's adorable.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shub-Niggurath, the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, naturally the queen of the chess set. Having very little concrete description to go by, I wound up playing around with an eyeball tentacle goat monster. I really wanted to go overboard, but forced myself to keep things simple due to the fact I'll be casting these. Perhaps I shall do a truly crazy and overboard larger version once this set's finished....

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2