Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Lovecraft minis/chess set

They have taken over my life.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SavageGoldfish; May 29th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cooo

I like sculpting rando creatures too. Whats the material you're using? Wax maybe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyway, here are some WIPS from my latest scupture. I've done a couple of large sculptures, all of which turned out with one major "oops" or another. I've put the most into this one--it's a critter from a drawing I did some years ago, that I dragged out and tinkered with the design. Mostly thanks to building a REAL armature with a wooden stand and aluminum wire instead of coat hangers (bad idea!!!)

I'm ready to paint him up. Any colour suggestions?

The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The texture all looks really believable, I can't wait to see it painted.

Last edited by Spreggo; October 23rd, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfuentez View Post
    I like sculpting rando creatures too. Whats the material you're using? Wax maybe?
    It's made out of Sculpey oven-bake clay. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreggo
    The texture all looks really believable, I can't wait to see it painted.
    Thanks! I tried really hard on the texture of this one, had lots of reference pictures of animal skin textures. Going to paint it as soon as I come up with a colour scheme I like.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished my critter! I am going to have my friend take some good professional-quality pictures of it with his fancy Nikon camera and light booth, but for now, here are some snapshots of it with an unfancy camera while it's sitting on my bookshelf.
    It's kind of hard to tell from these pictures, but there is a lot of subtle colour variations in it.

I ordered some new sculpting tools (the little set I have is rather inadequate) and as soon as they arrive, I shall begin my next creation.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow looks great I'm impressed that the horns actually look like horn material, I'm excited to see the glamor shots.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo cool!!Explain the painting process,cause it looks great!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreggo View Post
    Wow looks great I'm impressed that the horns actually look like horn material, I'm excited to see the glamor shots.
    Thanks! The horns were pretty fun, I did that texture by very lightly dragging a piece of thin wire up and down them.

Quote Originally Posted by camara
    Sooo cool!!Explain the painting process,cause it looks great!!!!
    Thank you! I'd be happy to explain the painting process. I didn't end up taking any WIP photos while I was painting, though I should of, would make explaning it alot easier. On my next sculpture I'll be taking more WIPs of the whole process including painting, so that should give a better idea of how I did it.

The painting process takes a lot of patience. In order to get lifelike colour you have to layer lots of different tones and colours together, since nothing in the natural world is really one solid shade. I start off by mixing acrylic paint for a base colour, and thinning it down for some water. Not too thin, enough that it's easy to spread and goes on a little transparent. For this guy I used bluish-grey for a basecoat. Paint the whole thing--I don't have an airbrush, which would make the initial painting stages alot easier, so I used a 1/2" flat brush.

After it's dry, I mixed up a sort of tan-ish colour for the belly and lower legs, brushed it on semi-translucent so the grey still showed through a little, and a darker reddish brown for the back. After getting the basic colour divisions, I started on the "fun" stuff. Took a tiny little liner brush and a selection of different colours thinned down more than the base coats--for the belly/legs, I used different variations of light browns, yellows, and greys, and I just sort of smeared and brushed patterns over the first coat. You keep the basic colour--in this case the bluish-tan--but it makes a lot of different little colour variations like real skin has. For the back I used dark browns, reddish browns, and ultramarine and did the same thing, working my way to darker shades where the patterning was. It's sort of an eyeballing thing to get it to look convincing, it helps to lean back and look at it from a little distance (after all, the artist is usually the only one who has thier nose right on a piece for long periods of time.) Keep the paint thin, too--you can always add more, but once it's dry, you can't take it off.

The horns and hooves I did similar, brushed on a greyish, adding some darker shades, and some lighter areas on the tips as if the horns/hooves were old and worn smooth. Did some yellowing on the teeth as well.

I hope that was useful!

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is awesome, I like the way you painted it the most! like a donkey from hell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here we go, after aquiring some fancy new detailing tools and building a couple more armature stands, I'm working on some new sculptures. The first pic is a view of both armatures. I decided to work on the one on the left first; it's going to be a critter from an H.P. Lovecraft story--no, not Cthulhu, though I will probably end up doing a Cthulhu sculpt sometime (the full story, "At the Mountains of Madness" can be found here ~~~> http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary...ofmaddness.htm I highly recommend it, it's one of my favourite Lovecraft works) The one on the right will be another creature from my own bestiary, sort of a warped eastern-dragon like critter.

If I ever decide to do a sculpture of a creature with radial symmetry again, somebody please punch me in the face. The Elder Things or Old Ones are an alien race who came to earth millions of years ago, the way I think of them is if a starfish reached the level of evolution and development surpassing a human being's. And damnit, trying to get this weird 5-lobed symmetrical shape right is a lot harder than I thought it would be. But it was such a fascinating creature I had to make one.

As you can see I started on the frail little arms on the side, but decided to tear them off and do them later since they were so fragile I knew I'd end up destroying them while trying to work on the rest. Been having fun with my new clay tools, they make texturing a million times easier.
    (And if you look really close at the aquarium in the background of one of those pictures, you can see Ragnar, who keeps me company and entertains me endlessly while I work. He is quite a charming creature, and has a noticable attitude problem.)

I've been working excessively on this thing (so much to the point that I halfway forget to eat) and should have frequent updates.

Last edited by SavageGoldfish; November 17th, 2009 at 12:31 AM.
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooo, the starfish of love !
    Craft that is! Love his yarns! { That sounded nasty}! I see you are having fun with those new tools. This new piece looks challenging with all that texture to do, on every freaking side, but it is taking shape nicely. I know new work is all encompassing, but in a way, thats the best thing about it.
    I still love the " hump backed mulie, beaster" horns, teeth and toes! If you ever make a mold of him, I would love to buy a copy! That is if I ever make any money again. There are high pitched moaning winds and tumble weeds blowing past my atelier of late.

Ps. Don't forget to wipe your shoe, when you kick life in the balls ! Leaves a stain that Ajax won't take off !!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually texture is my favourite part, it's a little tedious but I love detail (I also do crazy detailed ink drawings)

I hadn't really thought about doing a cast of my "mulie critter", I wouldn't know how to go about doing that. Oftentimes sculptures like that, with a lot of undercuts and complicated bits, need to be chopped up and cast in pieces and then put together again. I don't think I could bring myself do do that to him, but if I can find a way to go about casting him without having to dismember him, I'll certainly let you know.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More done! Worked on texturing and finishing the tentacles, and adding the eyeballs. I ended up putting on the eyes and the fin thingies on the end of the tentacles, and then pulling them off and redoing them--the eye tentacles were too long and looked awkward, like it had a huge head, and I had gone back and re-read the section of the story that describes the appearance of the Elder Things, and it clearly says the fins were 5 veined, and I had made them with only 4...so of course, being a perfectionist, I had to redo it.

Next up will be the wings and the little tentacle-arms on the sides where those nubs are poking out, and it'll be just about ready to bake and paint.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent stuff

I like your first creature,really good concept and a nice paint job.

looking forward to seeing this new one all finished, you have a good eye for details

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongsplat View Post
    excellent stuff

I like your first creature,really good concept and a nice paint job.

looking forward to seeing this new one all finished, you have a good eye for details
    Thank you!

I love detail, I think the detail and texturing is the most fun part of sculpting.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see another who is having a go at lovecraft, you are right ATMOM is a great story, one of his best. I think that a lot of the detail on this creature is pretty hard to see because of the clay colour. It will come ito its own when painted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, You have made a lot of progress on this one. It's looking great ! I really like the head and the eyes are great. I agree that painting him will really make it pop ! And you are so right about the detail being the best part of sculpting. I also get lost in my work and lose all track of time. { ain't it great !}

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the detail doesn't really stand out in the pictures, partly because of the clay colour and partly because I don't have decent lighting for photographs (either bright glaring Pixar-esque desk lamp, or ambient light from standing lamp, or flash from camera, which eats everything) There's a lot of very subtle textures. It looks much better in person, and I can't wait to paint it.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little more done. CREEPY TOOTHY MOUTH THINGS! I decided not to add the wings, I should have built the wing framework into the armature first but didn't, and as I started building the wings I discovered they would be considerably heavier than I thought, and would probably mess up my entire sculpture. So no wings. And I tried adding the little arm tentacles on the sides, but I'm going to need to go aquire some Sculpy Firm for those, they're so small and frail that regular super sculpy won't hold up, they started sagging the second I stuck them on.

And that picture at the bottom is my buddy, who stares at me intensely the entire time I'm working.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I've been watching your progress, and it's really cool. That mouth is scary! It reminds me of a lampry, {Petromyzonidae}. Looks like it could latch on to you and put a hurt'n on ya.
    I see those little black eyes!
    You ought to do a sculpt based on him! { your little buddy}
    Keep on a' shaping! It looks great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Man that is some brilliant stuff
    I love teh muscles and textures on the first oxy creature
    and the elder god is coming along brilliant as well
    you have a awesome eye for detail and hope to see some more soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mah`Crub: I probably will end up doing some crawdad-based sculpts at some point. He really has some beautiful colouration on him, sort of pale blue with darker speckles.
    And yeah...lampreys are disturbing things, aren't they? Not quite as terrifying as hagfish (snot!!!) but pretty creepy.

Jimmi B Thanks so much! I really enjoy doing texture and details, even though it's tedious and kills the hands, it really makes all the difference in the finished product.

Well, I finished. The poor thing was sitting neglected on my shelf for almost 2 weeks--I had tried to do the arms with regular super sculpey but it wasn't sturdy enough to hold up, so I had to wait until I had a chance to get ahold of some Sculpey Firm, the grey stuff. I decided to redo the mouths also, and I'm glad I did, they look much better and creepier--kind of hard to tell from these pictures, but they have rows and rows of teeth now. And I did all the little arms (TEDIOUS!!) and the "cilia" things on the head.

After baking, I ended up breaking off two of the little fins at the bottom. Which made me very sad, and also means I have the joy of messing with epoxy (miracle stuff that could glue a rhinoceros to a wall, but it's a horribly messy, toxic, caustic thing...and I have a really bad habit that no matter how careful I am, I get toxic stuff on my hands, and my arms, and the desk, and my shirt....) It looks a bit sloppy now, what with the pink and grey, but once it's painted it'll look way better. I intend to have it done by next Monday, since I'm going to up to talk to financial aid and other people at the school I'm going to go to (APPRENTICESHIP!! TEACH ME!!!)

In other news, I spent several hours out in the cold and mud today helping a friend shoot a film project for school--with a costume that had NO SLEEVES!--oh the things I do!

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really looking spooky! I like all the additions.
    You should really wear gloves when you work with epoxy ! You don't want to get that stuff on your little fingers.
    Good Luck with the school thing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. I am FINALLY DONE. This sculpt seriously gave me SO MUCH GRIEF. When I was baking it, one of the arms sagged, I snatched it out and tried to push it back up and it broke off, had to emergency repair it, in the process of moving it from oven to table two of the foot-fins broke off. Got it out of the oven, tried glueing the fins with epoxy, failed, managed to glue one with super glue, had to totally rebuild the other one, blast it with a hair dryer to bake it on because I don't have a heat gun, broke off the rebuilt part, reglued it with superglue, knocked off a couple of the little "fingers" and had to reglue those....And then, as I was totally done and painting the base white, I broke off the fin AGAIN! But it's done now.

And I can't seem to upload pictures properly...so here's all I can do at the moment, the base coats....MORE COMING SOON! I promise!

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am so sorry that this piece gave you so much trouble, after you had worked so hard! You know, sometimes that is just the way, and I don't understand why it sometimes goes that way, But the main thing is that you persevered through it all,,,, and I must say that it is totally creepy! And I mean that in best of ways. I love the paint job. He just looks nasty! It's great!
    Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I feel like a dunce...my image uploading problem was because I hadn't sized down the picture I was trying to upload, and it was way too big for the file size limit, only when I tried to upload a too-large picture before it told me it was too big, and it didn't this time. So after that "durrr" moment, I'm proceeding to post my WIP shots of the painting process.

I painted it by slowing glazing and "scribbling" on thin layers of colour. I don't have the luxury of an airbrush, so I painted it entirely with regular paintbrushes. Getting into all the crevices around the arms was not very fun. But it's finished, and I'm happy with the result. I will have nicer pictures of both of these sculpts up soon, my friend volunteered to take some professional-quality pictures with his fancy camera. I will post them when I have them!

On to the next sculpture! Next up will be a kind of warped Eastern dragon.

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now I wanna do a sculpture of your little buddy...I love him!!! What's his name?
    Oh...and your sculpture's okay, I guess...*cough* *cough*

(But seriously, the suction cup mouth is gold.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoJojo View Post
    Now I wanna do a sculpture of your little buddy...I love him!!! What's his name?
    Oh...and your sculpture's okay, I guess...*cough* *cough*

(But seriously, the suction cup mouth is gold.)
    Ha ha, my little buddy, he's a real character. I've never been stared at so intensely by any living thing in my entire life. Where ever I'm at in the room, he comes up to the side of the tank and STARES. But whenever there's someone else in the room, he hides under his shell. His name is Ragnar, I wanted to give him a badass Viking-sounding name, but mostly he just gets called Mr Crabby-face....

Glad you like the creepy mouth things, they were a hassle but well worth it. All those little teeth!

The Savage Goldfish Blog

-Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see how much work you've put into this guy! Which makes it a real shame that it's on such a crappy hunk of wood. Especially a square piece! Why not round at least? And in the future I'd recommend using a wash to paint in the dark crevices first. You mentioned how hard it was to get your brush in them. A wash makes that no problem at all.

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2