Thanks

Laptop suggestions

I know this gets asked often, but I'm in a state of indecision.

Heading back to school here soon, and it's mandatory to have a laptop. I don't mind really as I've never had a lappy before and the ability to work away from home will be nice.

The school I'm intending to head to lets you order through them, which is a rip-off if you do so through them IMO...anyways. Well the laptop they have set up for us does not sound bad, 15" MacBook Pro 2.66 4gb DDR3 Ram 320g Hard drive.

I've never owned a Mac before, but as far as I can tell it's a good choice when I look it up and compare to my own desktop I have now. So no recommendations or advice to get desktop instead is needed.

So I come to you guys and ask you if this Mac or even the higher end version (17" 2.8 500gHD) is reasonable. I've looked at some other lappys and I keep hearing about Lenova and Acer and a few others, but I have yet to find many with the same specs as the Macbook Pro for the same price. Cost is not as much of an issue as performance. Not that I'm rich, but I want the best I can get for the money spent. So upwards of $2,500 or so.

And also how well will the above mentioned Macbook Pro perform if used quite a bit? I say this because the specs are superior to my home desktop (Dell xps 420) but concerned about over-heating and other various laptop issues when under-stress.

Thanks for any info I get!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Benefits of windows: customizable, easy to monkey with, windows 7 is basically smaller os x.

Benefits of mac: integrated programs, less upgrades you need to buy, QUICK LOOK.

I run boot camp so I have both anyway with the specs of a macbook pro :/
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    That sounds great enough actually, and I'd be surprised if the school tried to rip you off... usually schools have better deals on laptops for their students (txtbooks are an opposite story....)

if its for school and I'm assuming your majoring in something art related since you're here, than stick to mac rather than windows, most likely that's what will be used in your classes. And its fine if you dont know how to use it yet, from my experience, teachers always go through the basics of a mac in the first week or so.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake View Post
    Benefits of windows: customizable, easy to monkey with, windows 7 is basically smaller os x.

Benefits of mac: integrated programs, less upgrades you need to buy, QUICK LOOK.

I run boot camp so I have both anyway with the specs of a macbook pro :/
    You could also Hackintosh a Windows PC Laptop with OS X instead of having Windows. You'd cut back on the price maybe, I don't know I haven't looked at Mac laptops in a long time, but either way you can use whatever OS you want on either hardware.

Generally speaking, though, I've heard good things from Mac laptops.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enydimon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    That sounds great enough actually, and I'd be surprised if the school tried to rip you off... usually schools have better deals on laptops for their students (txtbooks are an opposite story....)

if its for school and I'm assuming your majoring in something art related since you're here, than stick to mac rather than windows, most likely that's what will be used in your classes. And its fine if you dont know how to use it yet, from my experience, teachers always go through the basics of a mac in the first week or so.
    Well the price they quote us does not add up very well, lol. They give us a sheet with the specs and accessories and what not. Roughly $2,900.00, I'm figuring this is all our programs included. No. This was just the 15" Macbook Pro, Apple Care and Office 2008. I looked this up at Amazon and can get that exact model + Apple Care and Office 2008 for a little over $2,300.00.

So I plan on taking the financial aid money and buying my own laptop, which we are ok'd to do. The mac does seem and sound good, but still wondering if it's the best bet.

All CP's at the school are Mac's so that plays a larger part as well since going back and forth can be a pain. I did this for my first degree.

Thanks
    I think you pretty much just answered your own question.

A lot of schools I've applied to required me to have a Macbook. I've heard from a lot of professionals in the art industry that Mac's are preferred of pcs.

I've used both a Mac and PC with programs like photoshop, word, etc.... Both do a very good job but if I have my preference for art I would pick a Mac over a pc. Now if we were talking about a personal desktop for gaming I'd pick a pc without question.
    Last edited by SigonWulf; October 24th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SigonWulf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dude just goto best buy and buy the cheapest laptop. every laptop has a TN panel..which sucks. if you're doing 3d then uhm goto dell, they have laptops specifically for that. If its 2d stuff you're planing to get into, buy the cheapest-newest-laptop out there..and a decent monitor *without a TN panel (screen)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to aaro_n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I can sort of give some insight at least on the quality of the computer they're offering - I've got that exact one!

I've always been a PC person and I finally made the switch to Mac about 6 months ago and I can honestly say I'd never go back. PCs will do what you need them to, and they have some good points, so don't think I'm starting a whole PC vs. Mac thing, but I just find that the Mac handles my work load better/more efficiently than my PC ever did. So, for all the Adobe/Corel stuff, I've noticed a big different in just the programs running more smoothly.

I leave my laptop on pretty much 24/7. I can have several programs (usually including a movie or music on while I do my work) open on it and it doesn't over heat - I've even got one of those colored Speck cases on it to protect the outside and it doesn't really make a difference temp-wise. I will say though that the bottom of the computer can get pretty damn hot if you've got it on your lap, but MBPs are kind of known for running warm on the bottom so that's nothing new. The Speck case makes it a little easier on your legs/skin, though.

I think if I had to list one grievance it would be the speakers on the laptop - they're a little tinny sounding. My husband has the 17in model (same specs/model, just bigger) and his speakers are fabulous. But that's really the only thing I've found I could complain about over all.

If you're looking to get a deal on a MBP, we actually got both of ours on ebay for a fraction of the price and in pristine condition. (I think mine cost $1200 and his 17in. was just shy of $2000.) They came with original boxes, software, etc. You'd never know anyone had even touched them before - not a scratch or a smudge on them. You might want to consider checking in to something like that and then seeing if you can maybe buy the school's software separately to save a few bucks?

Good luck! ^_^

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    get the mbp 15 inch with the lowest config

you do NOT need office! its a horrible piece of software! use google docs instead, its free and can read and write all the office formats. and if you dont like google, use open office, its as bad as ms office but free.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whatever you decide do not get an HP dv series, almost all of the ones with a nvidia graphics chip will die right after 1 year.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/...ending&page=86

some other dudes that had the same problem i did with my hp, pretty sad if you ask me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    but I just find that the Mac handles my work load better/more efficiently than my PC ever did.
    Ain't that the truth. I can be compiling, rendering, and surfing all at the same time with no slowdown or stuttering.

I bought a Macbook Pro and it's been worth every dime. Both hardware and software are top notch and plenty fast.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Elam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you all for your feedback, very appreciated. Glad to hear positive feedback about the Macbook. It looked good to me, but not being a Mac person wasn't positive.

intrinsik Very informative, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I can possibly get a good deal through a friend of mine that works for Apple. So for now I'm waiting to settle until I hear what he can do for me.

But if things go another way, I might hit up Ebay.

Kfeeras Oh I have no desire to get Office at all. I don't need it or feel it necessary in any way. This is just what the configuration my school is setting it up with.

I planned on getting mine without it, just looked up what the price was compared to what my school was quoting me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

intrinsik Very informative, this is exactly what I wanted to hear.
    Glad you found it helpful! ^_^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    I have a Mac Book Pro, 17" and it is beyond amazing!!! I thought I would hate the shine on the screen it's not a problem. The keys are amazing, the camera, it runs photoshop and Illustrator at the same time. Much faster than my old lap top that used to over heat and eat most of my work, haha,
    I've had it for about 5 months and it's the best computer I've ever had. Oh yeah the speakers are great too.
    Try to get it from Apple with the warranty. Good luck and this is in your price range I believe.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post: