Sketchbook: Alipes's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Alipes's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Alipes's Sketchbook

Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for a bit, digesting tutorials and getting a feel for the community, and finally felt it was time to step forward and start a sketchbook post of my own, so allow me to introduce myself.

I'm 26 years old, and I've enjoyed drawing for a long time. I started working on my artwork more off and on in 2003, up until mid-2008 when I took a bit of a break. At that time I started to discover great help from books like Loomis, which I feel like have already helped me quite a bit, considering I have never had any formal or informal art training before that. I realize I still have a lot of weaknesses, but for a long time took crits way too personally. Lately I'm finally starting to get past that, and felt like it was a good time to try to open myself up to more critique, knowing that it could only make me better.

At the end of last month, I started finally tackling drawing again. I usually spend some time each day working through tutorials (starting from the basics, working through Seedling's Perspective 101, and then I have Bridgman's Life Drawing and Loomis books to look at after that), but I also like to sit down and draw something every day, some days from imagination and some days from photo reference. Because of that, I hope to update this sketchbook quite often!

Below is a couple pictures from the last few days, as well as a digital image that is currently in progress. Hopefully you'll take a look and offer a comment or advice, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Alipes; October 23rd, 2009 at 05:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here's today's sketch! I've really been enjoying the old ChoW's, and ran across the one earlier of the little mermaid, which inspired me to create my own mermaid. Her fishy half and her little fishy buddy are based on a lionfish reference from starfish.ch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook buddy! :D

Hey Alipes, thanks for dropping by! ^_^

You have some nice looking ladies here...some of them have some anatomy issues, I think the best way to go (and this is something I myself am doing now) is to go back to basics and rebuild your anatomy database
    I like the manga-ish style and that last sketch is really something! keep it up Ill be dropping by for coffee from time to time!
    Cheers!
    C.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Claudio Grassi: Thanks a lot for the comments! I definitely know I need to do some anatomy work; I have a copy of Bridgman's Life Drawing to work through, and I'm looking at picking up Peck's great anatomy book as well. But definitely appreciate the comment, just reinforces to me what needs work!

As for today's picture, I decided to have a bit of fun with my old friends, the colored pencils. Outlined with a brush pen, today's image was a great exercise in a bit of style and getting proportions right with two characters interacting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's quiet in here, but I have a new sketch so I'll just keep on postin'!

Today's weather has been a bit on the cold side, so when I sat down to draw I went with a nice summery outfit instead!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like Claudio Grassi said. Anatomy anatomy anatomy. Copying stuff is pretty boring when you have interesting ideas, but it helps in the long run.

Sketchbook
    I use MSPaint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kaileighblue: Thanks a lot for the comment! As I mentioned previously, I definitely know that I need to work on anatomy -- I have Bridgman's Life Drawing and Peck's anatomy book lined up to work through. Tomorrow will be the end of Seedling's Perspective 101 tutorial, so I'm looking forward to working on one of those two books next. I usually do an hour+ of tutorial work a day and draw one sketch a day as well, just to help keep the creative juices flowing. I just prefer to post the completed sketch for the day and not post the tutorial work at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm going on vacation soon, so today's sketch will be the last one posted for a week or so. I'm taking a sketchbook with me though for sure! I also finished the Perspective 101 tutorial today, so when I get back I will probably work on Peck first, to get a good grasp on anatomy, and then follow up with Bridgman's Life Drawing to really tie all the pieces together. If you think I should look at these books in a different order, or look at a different book altogether, please feel free to share!

Today's picture was a fun bit of a pinup, using a great pose reference from mjranum-stock on devart. The graphite shading was entertaining to try and achieve more of a leathery look on her outfit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Well, that was a much longer break than intended! Things just kind of got out of control for a bit there, but I'm back in the swing of working on my art again today. Today also marked the first day of working on Peck's great anatomy book, which really makes me appreciate all the more what I still have to work on.

And apart from working on Peck, here's today's sketch! Reference used from kindgirls.com.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's been a bit since I've posted! I've still been very busily drawing, and working through Peck every day -- I definitely feel like I'm making progress, but I know I still have a long way to go!

Anyway, here are a couple of things I've worked on in the meantime, please be sure to leave a comment/critique/half-eaten sandwich/etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two new sketches today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Thanks for visiting my sketchbook.

You got some nice characters here.

Maybe you should try to do draw more realistic when drawing from photo ref though, I think you'd learn more from it this way than from stylizing the picture instantly (or are you just not showing the more realistic ones?).
    I'd also love to see a male character in your sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.