Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Oh those latest paintings on the precious page is cool!
    I can see that you've befriended your new tablet now

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Noukah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,969 Posts
    the gun went really nice mate.Very good job.In the eye study try not to achieve the smooth effect of the photo ref but to understand the planes, the form of the eye, why we have shadow there and there why highlight there and there and such.
    keep up the good work

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ GoGoJojo - Thanks Betsy!! You want me to scratch my nice new gun. Damn, I've only just got it out of its box. I'll see what I can do. Cheers :>)

@ Marian - Thanks for the comments Marian. It took a while to get those ellipses right but I got there in the end. I plan on doing a few studies to reinforce circles and perspective. Cheers :>)

@ FraserMcT - Thanks for he crits Fraser. It's not your eyesight mate, that handle is a little 'wonky'. I'll fix that tomorrow and thanks for the eye advice. Cheers :>)

@ Vatsel - Thanks for the comments Vats. Watch this space for more life drawing. Cheers :>)

@ NanoBlack - Thanks for the comments Nano. I do plan on doing a more dramatic view of the bike 'soon'. Cheers :>)

@ Noukah - Hi Nou!! Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you like those latest paintings. Cheers :>)

@ kingkostas - Thanks for the comments mate and thanks for the advice regarding the eye. Glad you like the gun!! Cheers :>)

Just a quick update to the landscape WIP.
    i. rendered the furthest mountain.
    ii. added buildings to the right-hand riverbank to balance out the town.
    iii. started the other mountains.

Plenty more to do on this one but thanks for looking.... C + C's most welcome!!!

Thanks
    Hmm my suggestion is to avoid any texture details at the moment and focus on the shapes and rhythm.

Your values is quite good and remember study some real life terrain first as the furthest mountain seems to be composed of a different rock formation from the foreground hills.

Other than that keep practicing and if you think you can't progress much, just start all over again. That's what I always do when I think something is not right after numerous attempt to fix it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Huey Yeng For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Huey Leng - Thanks for the advice mate. I think I may do some mountain speedies and photo studies to help with the flow and composition. Putting detail in too early is a bad habit I'm trying to kick. Might have to try rehab lol!! Cheers dude :>)

Some Bridgman studies today, followed by a little Barber study. Also fixed up the mini-gun as per the advice from FraserMcT, thanks mate.

Thanks for looking!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbosnail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice thats a nice way to study and understand anatomy
    Glad to see this hehehe i am telling it again
    so keep up the good work

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ kingkostas - Thanks for the comments king, and I intend to!! Cheers dude :>)

Today's practice was;
    i. A recap of yesterday's Bridgman work done from memory.
    ii. A study of nose profiles with refs from Barrington Barber and a few of my own.
    iii. An IFX workshop on painting a realistic nose where I used PS instead of Painter (which I do have). Just feels easier in PS as I don't use Painter enough.

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice to meet you Turbosnail, keep them comeing!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexEh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice studies lately! And it looks like your getting the hang on how to render digitally. Keep this up now
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

19. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ kingkostas - Thanks for the comments king. Cheers :>)

@ Dy.laneA - Nice to meet you dude and thanks for the comments. Cheers :>)

@ krel - Thanks for the comments krel. I'll certainly keep practicing the digital rendering. Cheers :>)

A quick update today which is a follow up on yesterday's nose rendering. It is a painting of me stuck in a yoga pose LOL!! I chose the number 8 as I wanted a shape with plenty of curves. The inspiration came from Noukah's 'concertina arm' pic. Thanks Nou!!

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks
    Hey Snaily you've been super productive again, I can't keep up with you! Just wanted to say that although you started to soon with the details on your landscape I think the far mountain looks really good and overall the picture is building up nicely. I can tell you are already pretty skilled at rendering in Photoshop as the nose job looks great. Keep up the good work buddy as your setting a great precedent for the rest of us.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Those studies are coming great. But some of your drawings are looking kinda flat, hey don-t worry cuz I just figured out what the problem was at least in my case, I was focusing too much on outlining my drawing, and in the process I forgot that the outline is only the contour of a FORM. Therefore I should focus on forms rather than outlines and so should you.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to gasping For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,552 Times in 4,511 Posts
    You're coming along. I see you're working the complementary colour in without getting it muddy - good.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heh it looks like a pretzel without any salt! Thanks a lot for making me hungry

28. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGoJojo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey man thats a cool study
    I might try something like this sometime

30. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sorry for not dropping by ealrier. Dude you're a friggin machine :o stop drawing! Ehehe
    Good values and rendering on the digital stuff. And great to see you studying that way. You'll learn a lot faster, don't make the same mistakes as me :o

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Wanna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice study mate.But the soft edged rendering in the whole, while you keep the edges sharp in the whole seems to flatten it.But no worries, the study is to see colors probably.But just keep it in mind , and even if it comes out worse when you work with hard edged brushes, its still better both for training and actually later you'll that you will use soft brush only for some special additions.
    keep up the good work

34. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hmm i would say that one of the most fundamental and important things the do when studying the human face, is the "planes" of the face. I cant remember if it is loomies or bridgeman (or both) that talks about this but i really think you should check it out. It helped me a lot (still does). So when you e.g are doing your nose studies, focus on what planes the nose comprises of.
    My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil_J. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you do good studies mate, but Im afraid you need to apply more of waht you learn. try to focus on values for the time being.
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    @ Marian - Thanks for the kind words Marian. I'll have to get back on that landscape later this week (after these value studies) and sort out the lighting. Cheers :>)

@ andres333 - Thanks for the comments mate. The outlining is a bad habit I'm trying to kick. Cheers :>)

@ Black Spot - Thanks for the comments mate. I'm slowly getting there with the blending!! Cheers :>)

@ GoGoJojo - Thanks for the comments Betsy and I'll sort you out with a pretzel next time I do a skin tone study. Cheers :>)

@ RBeek - Thanks for the comments Roger. I've got plans to do a lot more studies using strange shapes. Cheers :>)

@ Wanna - Thanks for the comments mate. I'm trying to develop a systematic approach to my studies. Cheers :>)

@ kingkostas - Hey king, thanks for the comments dude. You're correct that those are only colour studies. The edges stayed sharp as I use 1 layer with the transparency locked. Cheers :>)

@ Fumble - Thanks for the advice mate. Those noses were only a free-sketch. I've got a few Bridgman books which I'm working my way through. Cheers :>)

@ Vatsel - Thanks for the comments Vats. Good timing dude, value studies as requested with more to follow!! Cheers :>)

Today's practice, Value studies;
    i. Wip#1 of a photo study - started blocking in colours with blending up next.
    ii. A very early wip of a portrait (not self) value study.

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    sup Turbosnail thanks for dropping by my sketchbook dude thought id return the favor.
    now im not the best at crits just becuse I dont feel I have much knowledge on art haha so you can ignore this if you want
    but what I try to do is ill work from images really really small thumbnail so you can see just the basic shapes and colors and not get distracted with the details. Then once I feel that looks ok ill go on into adding the details
    hope this helps probly a bit confusing haha
    best wishes keep it up
    -Jamie

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Good work. You've show improvement from that first landscape with mountains/water to now. In that first one, the value relationships were reversed! (Highest contrast was in the background)

Careful with this latest one... the values on the mountain in the background should be a little less contrasty, and the value should almost match that of the background... because it's dissolving into it (the "haze" effect)

Be careful as well when doing those studies... one that said Bridgman had the eyes too high on the head. If he's measuring something, make sure to do the same.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

42. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey hey Turbsnailaylesshirebo how goes it? You made my day today the post in#180 cracked me up although the whip was being used to make me work like a dawg!!(Ooh its been painful) You have been working hard i see your enviros are coming along nicely and the gun in #206 looks the nuts! I see you have also taken hold of a slippery ole tablet i find them really strange after you have been used to pencil work just doesnt feel right but i see you are getting the hang of it
    Keep up the studies dude and keep on trucking

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

44. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ OmertA - Hey Jamie, thanks for stopping by dude. Drawing thumbnails is a habit I need to start. Got a load in my Sb but never use them!! Cheers :>)

@ p sage - Thanks for the comments mate. I've got to sort that landscape out this week. I'll also keep an eye on my Bridgman studies, if you pardon the pun. Cheers :>)

@ latigid - Holy c###, that must have been some honeymoon mate!! Apologies for the hair in #180, but I haven't done Marta's hair tutorial yet!! I'll stop by your SB and give you some grief. Cheers :>)

Today's practice was;
    An update to yesterday's photo study where I've started to blend the skin, detail the mouth and detail the eyes etc.
    Tomorrow (amongst other things) I'll fix the hair, but first I need to do a tutorial or 2 on painting hair. ImagineFX workshops here I come!!!

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks
    Thanks for another comment on my sketchbook. Much appreciated.
    It looks like you have fallen into the trap of rendering small details first before getting the larger forms in. The face looks flat because of this in your newest one. The light source is also a bit too frontal, which often flattens pieces down. Remember to use your artistic licence to make things look better
    Stay intense!
    My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

47. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Try loosing up your pencil strokes and I recommend doing more lineart studies before attempting value studies. Lineart is much more easier to grasp and can be easily render out for tonal values if you want to.

At the moment I suggest just copying a tons of Bridgman even by repeating the same drawing. You will slowly memorize it.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Huey Yeng For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi! I like the new portrait. It will look even better when you get her hair on

51. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi there
    The newest study is looking great! Just be careful with proportions though, as the left eye under the hair seems to be slightly wonky, and the nose seems to be strange, but I think that is more a lighting issue more than anything, so make sure you define the larger forms first before going into smaller ones!
    Keep up the hard work !

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    that last paiting is looking good!

55. The Following User Says Thank You to DStraX For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast