Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    It's great to see you doing studies...definitely keep that up! You should do a ton of life drawings too though. Here are some good websites for reference poses.
    www.posemaniacs.com
    www.characterdesign.com (click on photosets on the left bar)
    Keep it up

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ jeremyg0rd0n - Thanks for the comments mate!! I'll be sure to check out the thread you mentioned. Cheers dude :>)

@ krel - Thanks for the advice mate!! I'll make sure to pay attention to the twist during the next Vilppu session. Cheers mate :>)

@ zerdron - Thanks for the comments dude!! I really enjoy the anatomy drawings. Surprise surprise!! Cheers dude:>)

@ Grandmassa - Thanks for coming back Mr Spect!! Glad you enjoyed the visit my friend. Cheers mate :>)

@ paperx - Thanks for the advice mate!! Cheers dude :>)

@ Marian - Hi Marian. Thanks for coming around again!! Now half-term is over I can get some peace and quiet to get some work done. Glad you like the axe. I was actually pretty pleased with how that one came out. Cheers Marian :>)

@ Keeviin - Thanks for the visit mate. Cheers dude:>)

@ GoGoJojo - Hey Betsy. Thanks for visiting dude!! Today's piece is especially for you. I'll see you your laser rifle and raise you ................a MINIGUN. HA!! Cheers Betsy :>)

@ AlexTooth - Hey facebook buddy!! Thanks for the comments mate. Cheers Mr Tooth :>)

@ Seraph Fawkes - Thanks for the advice mate!! I'm working my way through Vilppu's Drawing Manual and also use Bridgman books and I've just bought Barrington Barber's 'Figure Drawing' as well. Cheers dude :>)

@ Exon-Ion - Thanks for the comments mate!! Glad you like the axe!! Cheers mate :>)

@ Black Spot - Thanks for the comments Black Spot!! I'll get back to that landscape soon and glad you like the axe. Cheers dude :>)

@ jackpot_anjr90 - Thanks for the comments dude!! There's some life drawing classes starting up near here in a couple of weeks and my name is on the list. Cheers mate :>)

Today's piece is a WIP for my next weapon. Just done medieval with Gimli's axe so next up is futuristic. I've got the basic shell here, but I've still got to sort out;
    i. lighting
    ii. the barrels
    iii. mechanism details
    iv. any other errors that crop up!!

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks
    Back to the studies today!! Box forms recap and starting to combine spheres & boxes.

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks
    Today's piece is a landscape WIP here at a very early stage. Done from imagination and inspired by a painting in the book 'Bold Visions' by Gary Tonge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbosnail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oooh I have that book Snaily so it will be good to see what you do with this. No pressure!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,477 Times in 4,461 Posts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really like your 'Bone' studies man. Good start with the rest of your work. Composition , anatomy , form and mood are the essentials to a good piece.Although you have some of these elements coming through, there is always room for improvement. Try using as much photo reference as you can, that will be a good start. Also remember to keep drawing, very important in the progression of developing your own style. Kudos man, keep up the good work and post away.
    T
    "...I draw to appease the voices in my head, ...and I can't find a virgin to sacrifice. "

MY WEBSITE!

MY DA
    MY CA GALLERY

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tariqart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Hey man, thanks for the comment! I really like whats going on, you tackling as many aspects as possible to this art thing keep it up!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,969 Posts
    nice very nice studies.I like the gun, it looks 3d but you used soft edged brush and looks blured.it needs simple value placement in a lot of places cause its not a lot curved like organics so you can rework it in greyscale some more.
    again ithe studies are lovely.keep them up

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For the landscape I suggest looking for some photos (especially panorama pics) and see how they play around the composition.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Huey Yeng For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,280 Posts
    HAHA THATS RAD an so are all the wip notes an little things you did in your studies like the sun glasses an the box turtle haha WAY COOL

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey mr turbaylesnailsbury how goes it? I see dedication in here the gesture work is looking cool and the still life nana's are sweet! Also have to say im loving the weapons keep on trucking!

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to latigid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Marian Rowling - Thanks for the comments Marian!! Bold Visions is an awesome book isn't it? Mine will be a Snail's eye view of his painting. No pressure... squeaky bum time I think!! Cheers :>)

@ Black Spot - Thanks for the advice and I'll desaturate that sky asap!! Cheers :>)

@ tariqart - Thanks for the visit and comments dude!! I'll definitely try and use more reference pics when I paint. Glad you like the bone studies. Cheers :>)

@ Parskoira - Thanks for the comments dude!! Cheers :>)

@ kingkostas - Thanks for the advice regarding the gun mate!! I'll sort it out when I get a bit of spare time. Cheers :>)

@ Huey Leng - Thanks for the landscape advice!! Using ref pics is a good habit I need to get into. Cheers :>)

@ Grannie - Thanks for the comments my friend!! Cheers :>)

@ latigid - Hey mate, how's married life in the South of the Shire? You been using that sweet new easel lately? Cheers :>)

Must have passed through a timewarp today!! Where did the time go? Anyway... small update to the landscape wip where I've added some buildings mid-left. @ Black Spot - I've desaturated the sky and I think it now looks better.

Thanks for looking!!

Thanks
    Hey Snaily ol chap. Looking good. Deffo need some sea colour in there to give you a critique!

That's a tip though, try and finalise the composition before you detail things like the buildings. But meh, I make that mistake every painting, work on it for hours then realise it needs changing. Do try hard to get all the elements in and working though. I like the cropped version here - I've got that book too it's great!

Lets see, what else. This is a niggle as I'm a bit of a perfectionist - there seem to be some elements close to each other. Areas I mean, see the centre of the bridge - the dip in the mountains is right close to the bridge, I know there aren't rules in Art, but being aware of these compositional elements helps. I see it happen again in the mountains in the very top left, the two mountains intersect at the edge of the painting - it just isn't as easy on the eye. Again, sorry to be a pain here - just trying to make this point clearer - see the tips of the buildings in the town, they're really in line with the tips of the mountains behind. IMO - some proper separation would help. How much (if at all) is up to you of course.

I know it's a WIP but you can make a lot of stuff clear in a "block-in" stage. All the mountains look quite flat - like separated with a pen tool. This is all very well and a perfectly good style if that's the effect you're going for. What I'd suggest though with this style is to add more atmospheric perspective - those far far mountains look too close right now - I'd make them much fainter, drop some saturation, mix some sky colour in there. I see it's done from imagination - that's fine for drawing the scene, and often more interesting. But when trying to paint and colour without enough knowledge of similar scenarios, it can get quite frustrating - this is all from personal experience. You might wanna try find a ref - at least so you can see what I mean by atmospheric perspective, how it affects colours, light, saturation, values etc etc - vital components for a landscape scene.

Also, another tip is to do some landscape photo studies, even a series of quick 20min ones will help - you will quickly understand nature this way. Try to stick to one layer too, imo it's much better practice not to rely on layers - yep they help but try alot with just the canvas purely for practice - it boosts your colour choice and brush confidence no end.

OK a no crit turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry if any of this sounds patronising!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heyheyhey!
    Thanks for dropping by my SB, much appreciated.
    AlexTooth gave some really good advice. You have your details nicely in places and the picture is becoming very sharp. But the feeling of distance is lost a bit when even the farthest objects are rendered so sharply. Remember how objects lose focus and contrast in the distance (air, smoke and vapors in the way etc.). Other than that, looking really promising.

Keep it UP!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast