Just received my Intuos4 XL
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just received my Intuos4 XL

I'm pretty psyched, yo. And its OMG HUGE! The drawing area is even larger than A3! Damn, I need a new table and a new monitor. Actually I guessed as much when I decided to order the tablet.

Does anyone have a good idea what kind of monitor I should look for? Is an IPS panel a must? As for the table how big an improvement would be one of those tilted tables that a lot of professionals use?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to z01ks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats. I'll be picking up a 9x12 one of these days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    by tilted, do you mean the cintiq series? i belive they have supporters so they stand tilted..
    http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/
    but they are also quite expensive -.-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN IT"S HUGE!!! (puts your laptop to shame )

haha congrats on your tablet, i still use my intuos2 xtra large, they last pretty long so take good care of it.

and as for a table, for a wacom that big i never used it on the table, always on my lap when drawing cause its so huge you cant reach certain places when its sitting flat on the table.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think i could work efficiently on anything larger then L size, but it looks amazing . Be sure to get a nice monitor for that thing .

- When you cannot win a large victory, learn to settle for a small one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's some bad ass shit son

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks nice man!

<--Jealous as I'm still using my small bamboo fun, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm

Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stupid lack of funds...

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ROFL, Jabo. That's so Xzibit. Really unnecessary.

But I can draw some very smooth lines with this. The one I used before was an Intuos3 A5. It got pretty frustrating when I tried to draw a good clean curve or something. Being precise was a bit of a problem and my hand got pretty tense. Oh and talk about precise, the Intuos4 actually has a Precision Mode button that sort of halves how much the cursor moves on the screen when you hold the button and draw. I like the new surface and pen tip as well, gives you a much better feel. Intuos3 feels a little more slippery. With the A3 size I think the line quality might well be as good as a regular pencil, from my first impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Stupid lack of funds...
    Yeah I have that problem myself, but something tells me this was well spent. I don't know if I can afford a new monitor, but I might. I actually got this money from selling my car, because a tree fell on it one stormy night recently (yup...), and since I don't need a car right now I bought this thing that I had been thinking about for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by gnilrE View Post
    by tilted, do you mean the cintiq series? i belive they have supporters so they stand tilted..
    http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/
    but they are also quite expensive -.-
    No I mean a tilted table not a tablet. You know, a table at an angle so it's more or less at 90 degrees to your eyes so you don't have distortion when drawing on traditional media and when you're using the tablet all areas are at a closer distance (even though I can reach all over it quite easily as it is).

Last edited by z01ks; October 21st, 2009 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lmao!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Hmmm
    haha thats great

back on topic though i can imagine needing a huge tablet like that.. its sorta a waste.. i mean if you watch the wacom vids they say the largest tablet is built for people who move there arms around like mad men when painting.. so if thats you then congrats, if not then.. return and get a medium one

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wtf. How did you get the money for that thing?

Damn rich kids.

You can easily possibly draw on a bigger than 20" screen of some sort. I have a medium tablet (graphirefucking3) that does fine with an old 20ish" widescreen... That XL could probably do anything. You might have to get yourself a projector... My god.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Calm down guys. Always get the highest possible equipment that you can afford. It's a good rule for those who like gadgets. If you don't, then what the hey. If you do, try to earn more (or sell your wrecked car, I did that myself one time, hehe). Besides that, the XL isn't really that expensive. It's still some hundred bucks cheaper than the small Cintiq, which makes it a bargain no matter how unnecessary it may seem.

Still … this thing is as big as my couch table, which makes it look absurdly big in my eyes I wouldn't need that large a tablet, I'm still fine with A5 (M) and A4 (L) is already too large for me to work comfortably. But I think the larger, the less strain for your shoulders. I have bad shoulder strain working on the small tablet, so A3 would be somewhat of a health insurance

Cool thread!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    Calm down guys. Always get the highest possible equipment that you can afford. It's a good rule for those who like gadgets. If you don't, then what the hey. If you do, try to earn more (or sell your wrecked car, I did that myself one time, hehe). Besides that, the XL isn't really that expensive. It's still some hundred bucks cheaper than the small Cintiq, which makes it a bargain no matter how unnecessary it may seem.

Still … this thing is as big as my couch table, which makes it look absurdly big in my eyes I wouldn't need that large a tablet, I'm still fine with A5 (M) and A4 (L) is already too large for me to work comfortably. But I think the larger, the less strain for your shoulders. I have bad shoulder strain working on the small tablet, so A3 would be somewhat of a health insurance

Cool thread!
    no I think you should get what's necessary whether you can afford more or not, so you can distribute your investments on other necessities evenly. I wouldnt buy a BMW if I lived in a trailer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe what we're trying to express here is that the XL's not a tablet, it's a freaking status symbol...

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    An NEC Spectraview 2090 24" would go just fine with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Made by Peleng, and title is "the bigger is better"

M

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the best thing about XL is that it's a lot healthier for wrist. I've been using Intuos3 A5 wide (9x11) for half year and during last months of this half I've got early symptoms of carpal tunnel injury because of RSI (repetitive wrist movements) - pulse pain in wrist, little swelling in forearm and rapid tiring - drawing hour or two was enough to get those symptoms. This was a moment I knew I had to remove the reason of this injury and I mean a too small tablet. A4 (or Large for Intuos4) wasn't a lot bigger and I didn't believe it could help much, so I've invested in XL version. Now injury is slowly, very slowly fading away, but it fades. The wrist still needs time to recovery completely - I think it been 4 months after I got larger tablet. So you get idea how RSI can be so mean And, since XL is a really big tablet, it can be really uncomfortable if you use a simple desk. A desk designed to use tablet tilted or placed on knees would be a better idea.

That's about size. Beside this, I think I wouldn't mind using Intuos3 version of XL. The button layout is much more intuitive than the Intuos4's one. In my previous Intuos3, I could easily find needed buttons without looking at them. In Intuos4, I'm almost completely lost. LED button names are nice visual thing, but from practical point of view - not much. I'm mostly looking at monitor, not at tablet

The difference between Intuos3's 1024 and Intuos4's 2048 pressure levels are sensible, but not enough to blow away I feel 2048's gives more smoother control - but as I've said - it's something to feel rather than see the difference. 1048 is a really high value and still gives a great control over brushes.

About accuracy of drawing long lines - it's true, the difference between 9x11 and XL is incredible. I simply draw lines, without using trial and errors method and it's really comfortable. When I started using XL, I had mixed feelings when I saw cursor moving two times slower, but I quickly got used to this.

Hmm, I guess that's all I think about XL tablet. Hope that helps.

@MatejaPetkovic - wow, that's a cool image It sure forces to think about moderation

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
    I think the best thing about XL is that it's a lot healthier for wrist.

The button layout is much more intuitive than the Intuos4's one. In my previous Intuos3, I could easily find needed buttons without looking at them. In Intuos4, I'm almost completely lost.
    Yeah, with the A5 you get a lot of tension in the wrist because it's like you're trying to draw little details on paper. And people, sure the XL is huge, but it's basically the size of an A3 paper. That's pretty standard for pencil drawing. I mean at my life drawing class we use A1.

I think the only bad thing about the buttons is that they have placed them four in a row vertically, so you can get lost when you don't look at them. But the middle two are angled inwards so if you regularly keep your finger between them you should be able to no-look the bastards easily. I think the wheel with the button in the middle to switch between 4 different functions (zoom, rotate, brush size, opacity) is a great step from the touch strip.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.