when we draw do we consider its functionality
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: when we draw do we consider its functionality

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

when we draw do we consider its functionality

when animators draw cars of their own design, do they know the parts of a car and where they are placed in order for it to be able to actually work?

or do they just draw a car's outside and think it works without knowing the complete functions of a car?

these question applies to everything else such as motorcyles, airplanes etc..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All animators aren't alike. Why not find animators you like and ask them? They're on the net, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    when animators draw cars of their own design, do they know the parts of a car and where they are placed in order for it to be able to actually work?

or do they just draw a car's outside and think it works without knowing the complete functions of a car?

Considering that most proficient artists here at CA study human anatomy and medical science just to be able to draw realistic, believable human figures out of their imagination, my answer is yes.

You need to get at least a diploma or better still, a degree in mechatronics and car maintenance and know the inside-outs of a car to be able to animate it believably.

If you wanna animate an airplane, there's degrees in aerospace engineering. For rockets, learn rocket science and astro-engineering. U wanna draw ships, there's marine engineering.

Sorry, pal....I know, art / animation is hard work, in that you gotta know the inside outs of whatever you need to draw / animate. This is why most artists have a dozen or so degrees in various fields in addition to their art degree. Me, I'm slogging hard to get my degree in Mathematics so that I can attempt perspective.

PS: Ignore above post. I'm high on drugs at the moment.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your studying mathematics so you can attempt perspective? why not just attempt perspective? seems your taking the long way round a bit.

and you don't need an engendering degree to animate a car. its not about understanding nuts and bults. its about understanding how they move. if you want to do some research in to the way suspension might affect the way a car moves then do so but don't go get a degree.

draw draw draw.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Mason For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think you need to know how a car works to draw the outside of a car. Unless you're planning to do a futuristic looking car where the body is made of glass so you can see the engine when the car drives past ofc. We study human anatomy because the human body is very complicated and when it moves it changes shape. A car does not change shape when it drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mason View Post
    your studying mathematics so you can attempt perspective? why not just attempt perspective? seems your taking the long way round a bit.
    draw draw draw.
    Hope you don't take my above post too seriously, as I need to post some crap to relieve my tireness after the drawing today.

Btw, Dierat, thanks for the explanation on why we need to study the human anatomy to draw humans but no need to study engineering to draw cars. That cleared things up a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's good to know the basics so that you have some sort of understanding how it works or why certain parts/things/uh crves exist etc. If you know it through and through good for you, tho.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Depends on what the car or vehicle's role is in your animation. Animating can be labor intensive so design your elements wisely. No point in drawing or 3D modeling an engine block if it's not going to be shown in your final work (unless of course if you want to include those in promotional pieces or have plans for toy design and manufacturing).

Some things for consideration:

Will it transform and be produced as actual toys later on?

Are you using fictional tech that's based on what's currently in use?

Your animation has car scenes (chase, conversation between driver and passenger, etc.) how much level of detail of the car do you need to show per scene. Do you need to include shots of the dash, the pedals, how the engine works, how it looks when it crashes, etc? Do you have time to research and render those details given the schedule that you have for your project?

Your vehicle has organic qualities to it. Can you design something that's interesting to check out and easy to animate in 2D or 3D at the same time.

Last edited by Koji Bryant; October 20th, 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anyone know any good books showing the anatomy of machines, vehicles and planes?

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    like every large format bargain book in a mall bookstore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anyone know any good books showing the anatomy of machines, vehicles and planes?
    Have you tried buying those textbooks / reference books for engineers? Maybe you could ask around the aerospace engineering / mechatronics / marine engineering faculty in your nearby universities. They've good stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.