Amaterasu Project
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Amaterasu Project

Hi Guys!
    After not participating at the CA community for so long I'm desperately looking for some of your qualitativ feedback!

I started a project about the japanese Shinto religion based around the sun goddess Amaterasu. The task is to create a fictious Movie/Video Game Concept. This includes characters, environments and almost everything you can think of.
    My main problem is the style... I'm no pro and it is very hard to find a consistent look so if you like something please tell me.

This thread is now for the pictures I intend to keep and I already removed a lot of sketches.
    Please feel free to check out my sketchbook about the my Amaterasu project!

>> Amaterasu Sketchbook <<

Maybe I can share my rewritten story later if you are interested and I'm able to write it in proper english.

I will post everything I do for the project here so please give me everything that can be helpful

Thank you !

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Onisan; December 16th, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are all really good concepts! I'm not really sure exactly how to critique these because I really can't find anything wrong with them. Maybe someone more experienced can find something you can improve in, but otherwise, really good work! I hope to see more from you.

DarkSenshi on DeviantArt:
    http://www.darksenshi.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much !

I still have no idea about the main character... I think I'll try to get a little more drawing routine with other stuff und start to think about her later on.

Here is a sketch trying to figure her out... not satisfied Y.Y

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check her eyes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Check her eyes...
    yeah I dunno why I posted it in the first place ;D The morning after she looked horrible.. sounds familiar! just kidding

I think I skip her face for the time being... here is a new scribble.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the new scribble, if you do a full render of it i'd encourage you to do the figure in BW (maybe a few key points of color) and the nouveau style backdrop in color. Part of what I love is the color composition.

Might wana be careful on her shoulders though, with the way the fabric is on them they are approaching squarish manly-ness, not there yet, but getting close. particularly the one on the left, which might look a little out of joint as is.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After some criticism about the Miko's face, I had to do a little makeover. While I was doing that I decided to add some colour to the picture.

I think its one of my best works so far
    But please tell me if you see something that is wrong!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an animated matte painting I did last night! Finally something I can cross off my list for the short Amaterasu Intro I intend to accomplish until december.... need sleep !

Some earlier steps are in my sketchbook.

Somehow the attachement for the movie is not working. Here is a link to vimeo!

Amanohashidate movie!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some time ago in the character of the week section there was an amaterasu topic..that might give you some inspiration.

imo the sketch on post #5 suits the topic a lot more because i can see a relation with the sun and has a godly feel to it..
    the asian looking archer its generic and there is no indication of who she is or supposed to be..

hope this helps

BLOG
    CgHub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shard View Post
    some time ago in the character of the week section there was an amaterasu topic..that might give you some inspiration.
    Very nice, just checked out the thread. It is not really easy to find any good pictures on the web around Amaterasu. But it will definitely give me some more ideas !

The archer is actually intended to be generic and is not meant to be Amaterasu or any other named character in the story. Just a random Miko.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just worked on the first coloured piece of my main character. Not sure about the sun like energy I intend her to have behind her back so i left it. Any thoughts ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a while here is some new stuff! Had a lot of input during the portfolio review and some other conceptart events so I hope you like where it is going now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that guy with the strings is awesome dude!! really like the lighting!! looking forward for more!!

BLOG
    CgHub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say to remember to flip your drawings as you're doing them. A few of them feel a bit off balance, leaning towards the left. I also see a trend in your women to have perhaps longer necks than their structure is complimented by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liking it despite the anatomical quirks.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Falchion View Post
    Liking it despite the anatomical quirks.
    thanks, please tell me when I cross the line of too anatomical incorrect to be stylized.
    Quote Originally Posted by badkittyamy View Post
    I would say to remember to flip your drawings as you're doing them. A few of them feel a bit off balance, leaning towards the left. I also see a trend in your women to have perhaps longer necks than their structure is complimented by.
    I guess you mean the one with the bow in particular? the neck really is way too long. thanks for the observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shard View Post
    that guy with the strings is awesome dude!! really like the lighting!! looking forward for more!!
    Thank you very much

Here is the start of my next character. Somehow I feel she is still too boring somehow... any suggestions what I could add to make her a little more recognizable? The bondage idea on her custome seems a little too innocent yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the new design I think there is something to be said for subtlety. It shouldn't have to be in your face to get the point across and i think it works as it is.

For a japanese theme if you're going for bondage, then the shibari you have really is the way to go and I like actually that you didn't throw more on it. For me actually the only thing that is throwing me off is the large hoop earrings and the beauty mark on the face is making the ethnicity of the woman to lean more latina than japanese

18. The Following User Says Thank You to badkittyamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @badkittyamy
    yeah thanks for the insight, great comments really appreciate it I lack reference of old japanese jewelry so maybe I have to look some things up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some progress. Something still feels kinda wrong. I would like to add a fan somewhere but after I tried a few things over her head it didn't quite fit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude I love how you play up the accessories on your characters. looks cool and adds alot to their design.

Your latest one is looking pretty good. One thing though is that her arms are kind of in an awkard position. She's putting both of her hands behind her head... I dunno... it's just no clicking with me personally.

all the villians look really well done and thought out. The one with the ball of string looks really slick man, great job! I also like your character covering her face, really polished.

anyway, good luck man. This is turning out to be really cool!

edit:
    The villian with the ball of string... why not fill in the BG with a gradient or a different color? The stark white diffuses the awesomness of the painitng.

Last edited by SlowDaddie; November 29th, 2009 at 04:02 AM.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff - the latest one is a bit awkward on stance. Her legs/weight are off - she's kind of in a relaxed contra-posto but both knees seem slightly bent. Weight is usually carried more by one leg generally centered beneath the figure - try dropping a line down from her nose and shifting her right leg/foot over? Try taking the pose yourself to feel the weight/balance - check in a mirror if you have one. Great stuff though - nice attention to details while keeping things simple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ SlowDaddiedude thanks for the compliments They still have white backgrounds because I intend to put them all together in one finished piece for a little animation later on and it was faster to colorize with white background.

@JeffX99 thanks for the observation, I tried to change some things and rearranged the legs a little bit. Hopefully I get it right soon ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely better but I think could be pushed more - try to think of "active" side and "slack" side - or dynamic/relaxed - one side of a figure or even an arm/leg will be active and under tension while the other is relaxed. I think you got that a bit but see if her balance/center doesn't improve if you bring her right foot under her chin/nose (angling the leg of course so it looks like she's really "set" on her right leg). Now keep in mind this is for this type of "relaxed" stance/pose. A dynamic battle pose will of course have a different sense of character. Good job though if I didn't already mention that...to be honest these are fine for concepts but I sense you want to take your abilities as far as you can - which is the right path of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok i did some more adjustments and started refining and rendering some of the parts. I have to rework the string around her waist and think about how much detail I actually need at the bondage strings.

Do you think I should add shoes ? Like geta or ancient japanese high heels ? ;>
    Looking forward to any suggestions!

oh I just saw that her right arm is getting a little too thin, working on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rendering and coloring progress. Just some details, still a lot to do on her legs so I cut them off for the preview ;< they will be back because i need a full body shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coming along nicely - two things I notice right off:

Her right eye is way small and out of position - you have an entire eye-width between her inner eye and nose bridge - general measurement is the eyes are about as far apart as one entire eye. You've kind of "tucked" it in there in the available space instead of making sure it is positioned correctly. Try quick sketch without her hair - draw her entire face - then bring the hair back where you want.

Her forearms are undeveloped or not thought out - her right forearm far too long with no indication of wrist - her left is a little wide and straight where it meets the elbow (check where the underside line goes behind) - left also seems so straight as to be a tangent or confused with fan folds.

I guess the last thing - since you seem to be pushing this one pretty far - watch your light sources - you have that strong secondary blue/green light from lower right - but only in some areas - any plane/form facing it will pick it up - same with main light from upper left - in some areas it is indicated as pretty strong - in others more diffuse - top of breasts is one are where it seems inconsistent - and since they are so prominently featured...well...

OK - that was three things...might try using the trick of putting tracing paper over your monitor to do a quick sketch of eye placement, wrist indication, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jeff some very priceless observations

Here is some progress and I tried to adjust some of the things you mentioned. Furthermore I got rid of the color ;> I think I should do them when she is finally finished. Maybe I should put a stop somewhere it doesnt need to be sooo refined ... have to start something new soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok here is my hopefully kinda finished version. If there are still some really serious issues please tell me and thanks so far for the feedback.

I also added the next piece I aim to finish. Comments welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Onisan - really nice job man! She finished out great (background is a little distracting but that's just me). Exactly what those arms needed - and that eye is so important with this particular character/pose - looks a lot better, eh? Anyway - good job - I look forward to seeing the rest!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progress of the Amaterasu character herself. The sword will be some kind of light sabre.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.