Sketchbook: My Documents
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My Documents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Documents

hey all~

I've been meaning to start a sketchbook here for awhile now, but since I'm usually just doodling random abstractions I never really bothered. but after trying (and failing) to draw a realistic portrait for a birthday gift, I've decided I really need to get some sketching time in and work on refining my observational skills.

so here goes!

I was looking at DavePalumbo's sketchbook when I decided to stop procrastinating sketching, so that's where I actually ended up sketching from. I assume that's cool? anyway, I started with a cat lady graphic and I couldn't get the hang of it and moved on and eventually made my way to some images that needed shading. the mohawk girl ended up looking like a dude by the time I was through with her, so I decided not to go on to drawing the cleavage haha. I couldn't figure out how to shade the pantless woman's legs, it just ends up looking like she's wearing pants :/

anywho..

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by antwan711; October 20th, 2009 at 05:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    antwan711 I think you should start doing some copies of the classical 8 heads canon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thanks for the pointer. I did a search and found a useful image illustrating the concept along with some comments, but was wondering if you could direct me to any particular sites or books that would go a in depth?

thanks again~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started to draw a 8 heads canon diagram, but I grossly misjudged the paper's space and ended up not being able to include 18 year old or adult figures :/ no big deal because I've actually just found what appears to be a much better diagram, woot!

question- I keep in mind these same proportions for females too, right?

anyways, I did some dynamic pose drawings.. referencing some other dynamic pose sketches/doodles I found an image search. haha, that's probably not a great idea. are there any especially good books a beginner should look into for dynamic poses? better yet, is there a site?

I also attempted to quickly sketch my face. I was referencing a pic.. so yeah, it's actually me trying to draw the same image, believe it or not I think maybe some of my issue is I don't really draw the main shapes to begin with, I just start at an eye and then branch out. does else have this tendency?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well all you need to do is look around CA, everything you need is right here in front of you... just start clicking on threads. Speaking of which, I found this post that directly caters to your immediate needs:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...8&postcount=16

Good luck on your journey to becoming a better artist.

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

My ugly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey,, thanks for the link. I haven't hit the books yet, but I've been checking out the different anatomy ones trying to figure out which one I'll make my way through first. Bridgeman keeps popping up, so I imagine I'll end up beginning with one of his. but yeah, I've been browsing more sketchbooks lately. I was psyched to found out about posemaniacs.com, so I have a feeling I'll be spending a good amount of time doing that daily, just because I really want to be confident at being speedy. I'm kind of a slow drawer :/

anyways, onto the update...

I drew some more portraits, another 8 head canon diagram and also a stick. a stick which looks like some kind of strange cyclopse bug-thing. haha. this drawing was intended to be more sketchy, but then I felt drawn into the complexity of the details and ended up attempting to draw them. so I ended up putting a lot more time into it then I intended. oh well, all I had was free time today. bwhahaa.

Last edited by antwan711; November 4th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a little update.. two portrait attempts. I had a lot of trouble with the one of the two children, so it's especially off. *shrugs* I'm going to focus in on the quicker /rough portraits and posemaniacs for awhile..

Last edited by antwan711; November 4th, 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    new portrait today. I've been choosing simple ones featuring beautiful eyes. I really love drawing eyes.

for the next portrait I'll be trying something quite a bit more complicated. I'll even be venturing outside of my comfort zone by refusing to shade with mechanical pencils. my goal is to draw 4-6 more before I reattempt the child's portrait from the previous post. it'll just have to be a christmas gift instead of a birthday gift

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi antwan, you sure have potential. Now only thing left for you to do is to practice, practice, practice. Would suggest you to focus your eye on anatomy first - books, online or live drawing. Just keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have mad a good try which is really appreciating but i think u have to pay a lot more attention to basic proportions and gesture.

MY SKETCHBOOK
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...68#post2476968

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.