Have you met any of your favorite artists before?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Have you met any of your favorite artists before?

Today at the Comic Con I met Joe Mad, who I've been wanting to meet for quite some time, and got autographs and pictures. I heard he did sketches at his last signing session (when I asked him earlier, he said he wasn't doing any) so I should've went back to that later session. Another artist that I really like is Jim Lee, I missed his Friday signing session and the Saturday one was VIP only. I did get to attend his Q&A panel so that was nice at least.

Have you guys met any of your favorite artists before?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When I was young I loved going to cons and signings and meeting artists. Hanging around, watching them sketch and listening to them talk shop with each other made being a proffessional artist seem like something achievable. One of the great things about CA is that it's sort of a virtual version of that.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've met Todd Lockwood twice, once at DragonCon (by virtue of being in the front row of his panel and asking a literal shitton of questions -- he mentioned this place by name, by the way ) and just in July at ComicCon, and he had the grace to stop what he was doing at his booth and answer, in length and detail, a specific question I had about color/painting.

I admittedly did drop about $360 on his artwork (we frame and hang it in the house) but I didn't get the feeling that he minded me asking about painting. He is one of the most personable, nicest artists I've ever met -- in real life, OR on the net

“It is enough that we set out to mold the motley stuff of life into some form of our own choosing; when we do, the performance is itself the wage.”
    -Learned Hand

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed." ~Albert Einstein

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerahla For This Useful Post:

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive never met any "famous" artists in person.

met some pretty amazing guys and girls that kick ass but no textbook masters or anything..

i have marko's dvd : D

Thanks
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got to meet a few art heroes and even got to take some of their classes. steven assael, max ginsburg, irwin greenberg, milton glaser, al hirschfeld, david levine and donato giancola. now if i can only meet jennifer connelly i'm set.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I met Jo Chen. She asked me if I had a website and I don't. ;________; She asked me. I felt like such a loser but it's not like I had anything good to show her anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw man, I've had the extreme luck to meet a few! Jon Foster, Todd Lockwood, Gregory Manchess, Brom, Bobby Chiu, Adam Hughes, Simon Bisley, Dave Dorman, Shiflett Brothers...and others.

Would have loved to have met Frazetta and would love to be able to meet Claire Wendling. Since I bought a book about his work, next Comic-Con I am going to shake the hand of Bernie Wrightson; besides having him autograph the book, of course. Heh.

I tell ya, it takes a LOT to go up and meet these creative titans (we see them as that, don't we?), but once you do, you realize how humble and approachable they are. And then you realize that these talented beings ARE SO frickin' humble and why in the HECK were you so nervous in the first place? But it'll always be that palm sweating moment no matter what.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    i got to meet a few art heroes and even got to take some of their classes. steven assael, max ginsburg, irwin greenberg, milton glaser, al hirschfeld, david levine and donato giancola. now if i can only meet jennifer connelly i'm set.
    That name popped out at me. Whoa. That's cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've met Håkon Bleken. Sort of a favorite, when it comes to that kind of art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I met a bunch during the Illustration Master Class last summer. Donato Giancola, Dan Dos Santos, Greg Manchess, Julie Bell, Boris Vallejo, Rebecca Guay and Scott Fischer. It was really cool having those guys looking over your shoulder for a week and giving you pointers and encouragement. Not to mention that every one of them was super nice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    outside of those at comic cons, my favorite artists are either dead or way too introverted and antisocial

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    all the mb guys,dos santos,brom,michael hussar,shawn barber,marc taro,steph laberis...hmm,i think i'm missing someone...
    who i'd like to meet? alessandro barbucci,jamie hewlett,giger,juanjo guarnido,hmm and possibly some guys from marvel i can't remember (aside marko).

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some of my favorite artists were my professors: Gary Burnley, Swietlan Kraczyna, Anthony Apesos, Jim Dow, Carl D'Alvia, David Austin, Nan Freeman, Flip Johnson...

each one a great teacher and artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    James Jean at the Kindling show in New York.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaS View Post
    Would have loved to have met Frazetta
    Don't bury the man before he's dead.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicolas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have some people that i keep track of (stefan sagmeister, jonathan barnbrook, chipp kid,
    mario lombardo, chuck palahniuk, haruki murakami, etc.), but i honestly don't know, what i
    should talk about with them - i rather just enjoy their work.

also i don't want to diminish the artwork by knowing / having met the artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ sin-d: I'm planning to get to next year's Illo Master Class... they sound awesome!

The only one of "that" level artist I've spent any time with was Tim Hildebrandt... we met through a common friend and I visited his house/studio a couple of times. What a great person... super nice and always willing to talk with aspiring artists. It's a damn shame he died kinda young.

Oh yeah, I also met Darryl K Sweet briefly at a book signing.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I met Brom a number of years ago at a Con and Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld (not that rob is a fav, just sayin) at a signing years before that. Oh, I also ran into Mark Kistler at an art store once. That's it so far....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've met Michael Whelan a few times, as he lives in the same state. Mostly at book signings, but once he came into the art store I was working at at the time. I don't think he was expecting to be recognized in a more every day capacity.

Dan dos Santos was kind enough to meet me for a couple drinks (he's also local to me, and we have friends in common).

Got to meet a bunch of people at the Art Out Loud events a few weeks back. James Gurney, Greg Manchess, Charles Vess, Donato, not to mention a bunch of other big names just hanging around. It was kind of funny to see someone like Boris just hanging around (probably one of the first artists whose work I followed at a really young age).

I've spoken with Todd Lockwood through email and Facebook several times, and I'll agree he's incredibly approachable and friendly.

Hopefully I'll get to meet many many more at Illuxcon next month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Probably not names that ppl will know, but personal idols in my art world. The one that stands out to me is Karen deJong, because I felt like that was a bit of a missed opportunity on my part (too star struck!). What an amazing artist, and incredibly humble and nice person! Unfortunately she was heckled a little by some of the tw**s in the crowd and hasnt been back to the convention since... hopefully one day yet I will meet her again...
    At work I am constantly flawed by the caliber of artists that I am surrounded by. I wont mention individual names here, but it is always a thrill to chat to them and learn they are human

Nick

2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yup... Wellington Workshop for CA.org... Was walking behind a few people outside of the venue... Before seeing what they looked like I asked "So you're on the CA.org forums, right?" They give a confused, 'wtf'd "Uh... yeah", then I ask what their usernames were, and one of them turns around and says "Oh nobody, uh... Jason Chan".

It's hilarious now, looking back on it But at the time I was on the brink of /facepalming.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of people at CCAD have met C.F. Payne and John Jude Palencar. Still, finding yourself in an impromptu conversation with those guys is just a little bit cool.

And I'd like to meet Art Adams.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I want to meet wesburt :> probably will happen the next time they have a workshop in the south or maybe the west. (USA)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    also i don't want to diminish the artwork by knowing / having met the artist.
    ??? how so? Like if they turn out to be a prick or you embarrass yourself or something? There's only one guy that jumps to mind who I was underwhelmed with enough in meeting to have it make an impact on how I saw his artwork (let's face it, most are pretty cool, or at least friendly, but some really can be jerks), and even then I didn't really much care.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guy and Hannah Aitchison @ the Richmond Tattoo Festival(not on the same visit though, I haven't seen them together yet). I had a hard time moving from their booth, meeting them was an honor. Both are awesome artists and Hannah was open to convo and inquiries about her work. Guy's style and writings pretty much influenced me to be more confident about being creative and varied when it comes to the use of color in all mediums, also alerting to common mistakes that I had been comfortable making for years. Watching Hannah pretty much made the process look effortless and easy to me in areas where I might have mentally strained for no reason. Maybe not so much these days, but 6-7 years ago when you went to a convention it was easy to tune out the sea of repetitious sailor styles, satan worship themes, candy collages, and occasional portrait pieces to see one of their booths in the distance working on something bright, colorful and definitely interesting. I can't leave out Michele Wortman or the time I saw John Clue working beside Guy's booth, I'm just an Aitchison fan I guess.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If i did i would have met ElWell before now... but not yet - But at least he hasnt gotten a restraining order!

Mystress of shadows "Always Tease Never Please"

Art is like a butterfly, Beautiful and free but it is also like a scorpion poisonous and nasty to those who dont know how to handle it.

EveningKiss Labrynth Sketchbook

EveningKiss myspace

Ian Miles is offline Leave you message after press enter key. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far I´ve met Marko Djur & Andrew Jones, here at the madrid comic con last year.

Looking to met Bobby Chiu and Syd Mead, to name a few, I´d really like to met Richard Schmid in the future. ^^

Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    > ??? how so? Like if they turn out to be a prick or you embarrass yourself or something?

i don't want to see them pick their nose, or having a weird face - stuff like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.