Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    such goodness here.

heres my initial puke, thinking a winter god looking over a stranded soviet soldier thats soon gonna freeze to death

any crits/comments on it and even on the poses, would be much appreciated

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    well heres my update so far
    Chow 177 :: The SEASONS

hopefully its readble enough for crits
    few things:
    *i will try to emphasize that this thing is mainly made out of a sort of a hurricane.
    *the right part of the cloth was ripped so itll show that the body that is covered by the cloth is made of a hurricane and i want to show that by adding alot of stiches on hes cloth to show its happening alot or that hes cloths can barly hold the mighty power of hes raw form
    *he has 4 arms-the two in the middle weave some sort of a spell the left one holds hes big wep and the forth...well doing nothing atm
    time for colours soon

c&c are more then welcomed and ill try commenting on everyones works soon .

LOTS OF GOOD STUFF HERE ^(^ - ^)^ keep up the good work ppl
    Last edited by acb; October 21st, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    I got the idea into my head that it might be fun to illustrate all four seasons as stylized and cute little girls I'm going for a semi retro-old-school-animation-style, or at least trying! So I'm just throwing in my very first doodles, hopefully I'll have the time to finish something proper.

Attachment 808978
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My efforts so far, fairly pleased actually, starting, I think, to slowly get a hold on the whole digital process, still slow going though. Winter is a bit significant to me, in that I, and my entire family suffer from SAD, a bit of a jokey name for something which isn't so much of a joke, as it means we get rather dour in the winter, and because of the darkness, so I decided on Winter, having slain Summer, and holding her heart aloft, as a victorious hunter, as her body decomposes into autumn. Still a lot of work left to do, but quite pleased so far.

Thanks
    Well here goes nothing. I sketched a quick idea today during class, it feels a bit lifeless right now but I think I want to expand on the concept for autumn. That being a beautiful woman whose limbs are becoming spindly and decrepit. Hopefully I can come up with something a little more exciting tomorrow.

Comments and Crits are very welcome.

Edit: Added some quick values
    Last edited by Jay-Zee; October 22nd, 2009 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Oiy, so many entires to critique, I'll do my best.

Random Stranger- I think the idea you have going is very poignant and bold, however you may want to focus on visual clues within the characters so we know they're personifications of seasons. Be wary of things like color choices and saturation levels.

AsaB- While I think the current designs are very clean and clear, I don't have a particular attachment to any of them. They definitely need something, either costume or color-wise, that will make them stick in my memory.

acb- I'm digging the organic nature of your design. If I were to make any comments at this point it would be to add a little clarity to the composition and to maintain a focal point, when things get to busy we tend to lose focus.

Shogo- Great pictorial narrative! I know this is kind of rough, so I'm hesitant to comment, but at this point just keep an eye on the background, you want something to bring them together but not lose the scene that is going on.

Dozeren- I really enjoy the line work and abstract qualities of the piece so far. I think, in comparison with the rest, the hair is kind of distracting because it doesn't have the same balance with line work color. The current handling looks a bit to organic, perhaps a little stylization could help out.

Lt_Action- Interesting concept, though I'm not to sure about the execution. I would re-evaluate whether the current design coincides with the brief.

Ruri- Excellent design so far! I'm really excited to see how you resolve the lower half and coloring. Keep it up!

Donna- Interesting costuming and character design. Pay particular attention to the tonality and color, things look a bit ashen.

Poshspice- Loverly color work so far on your winter....I have to admit though....I was really hoping for a Popsicle wielding princess of Summer. Popsicle + Girl + Posh= Win. BTW, I appreciate the heads up on the photobucket thing, but I'll probably keep her in the birthday suit. I'm using CHoW as more of an impetus than competition, meaning it probably won't even go to poll.

Daestwen- I really like the idea of a solitary red in a field of cold blue. It has a lot of poetry to it. My main suggestions would be to add a bit more warmth and vibrancy to the cloak, look at color #930707, and to push the background out of the ashes a little. Looking forward to where you take this. Oh, I'm going to give myself away here, I was coloring in to your linework for fun and noticed her right eye (your right not her's) looks a little off.

Raoul- I think Posh hit upon the majority of the issues. I do like the skeletal elegance that you have going on, but you definitely need some attention to pushing the cohesiveness and fluidity of the design. Things are a little blocky and stiff at the current state. I think it has a lot of potential, keep up the good work.

IndigoSummer- Hey! Haven't seen you around in a while. Great entry so far, your line work, especially with the female form, is always sexy. I'm looking forward to your updates.

TheDirtSyndicate- Whoa! Great dynamics and anatomy! The color is looking pretty damn good too. The only thing I'm not sold on is the face, it's kind of generic and doesn't quite have the umph as the rest does. I look forward to seeing your finished!

Sentinel- Hola! Please tell me you're going to finish this week! We're going to hunt you down and....tickle you to death if you leave another awesome entry unfinished. Great composition so far, while I would normally associate the fuller figure as being an autumn or harvest time motif I think it works on your winter very well, she has a very solid and domineering feel. Like you noticed earlier on, the color is kind of off a little, i think that red is kind of mixing funny at the bottom, giving a muddy look to the color. For fun, look up pictures of the aurora borealis , I think you could do a lot with that palette.
    Last edited by {CKL}; October 22nd, 2009 at 02:57 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    CKLamb, thank you for saying so, that's a really good point.

I still read the brief as semi vague on this matter, but now that you mention it, I think I might be pushing it. I'll just have to wait until Daestwen either calls me out on this or lets me on my merry way

I'm afraid if I've violated the brief I'll have to drop out of the contest as I've almost nooooo free time to work, let alone start over :X

Thanks
    Hey everybody! Like always, some really nice things going on this week.
    This will be my first CHOW so im'a do my best to make it a good one.

Winter!
    Last edited by Auspiciouspanda; October 22nd, 2009 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    did a bit more shading and messed with the colors... i'm feeling very stuck about this picture. i think if i have time i'll scrap it and start over.
    Chow 177 :: The SEASONS

Thanks
    LostFayth, Kroevyn, Poshspice, Raoul – Thanks for the comments.

In fact, it were more like oversized thumbs and I didn't even have a reference then, was more worried about composition and design; now that I got refs, it's also less blurry. Aiming for a rather indifferent look of her, I've been told she was ugly before I tried to fix that; did I succeed? I'm not actually that fond of working bw before getting into colour, I have trouble employing layer modes to my satisfaction...

GEB – Cool idea, and creepy .
    Auspiciouspanda – Very innovative, the idea about the leaves is nice.

Attachment 809267

Thanks
    TA Cklamb. I have really done more with the hiar then mark it about now. It will be more stylized aswell

Thanks
    Poshspice Thanks for the comments! I remember thinking of the finger as...you know...But to me it was more a pointing finger. She pointed to her head as in: "Look I has bird on head LOL! xD At one point I wanted to make a speach bubble saying that to post as a WIP but, yeah...this is much better! I wonder which sketch you went with. I hope it's the ice queen
    Thefarlander I like the expression on his face!
    D.aligh Looking good. I want to see more
    Nerahla Glad to hear your family helped you out The final composition looks good to me, but take note....you have to render all four of them :o Good luck!
    Raoul Aww don't loose motivation. You're doing great! Keep going on, I promise it's gonna be worth it! ...Yeah....Disney xD I was thinking of Snow White and Belle while I was drawing her, so there you have it! I get a lot of inspiration thanks to Disney the last few weeks
    Ruri, Dozeren, Lt. Action, Shogo, acb Keep at it, it's getting there
    AsaB I like your idea! I hope you can finish in time.
    Random Stranger Omg, seasons killing each other xD I can't wait for the finished piece.
    Jay-Zee, Auspiciouspanda Sweet!
    supahsteph Nooo, don't scrap it. I like where it's headed. You have a great style
    Ranarh Aah, good. I like the high contrast in your image

Okay, so I rendered it a bit more. I made the head a little bigger. I moved the sparrow from her head to her hand. Man...I'm running out of stuff to render xD I guess it's time for highlights, details, color and make the ground look like it's Autumn

Thanks
    poshspice - thanks for the crit, I was hoping that the viewer would see him as though he's shaking his beard to make the snow come down, hence the reason for him grabbing the beard, but I'm not sure it's obvious enough. Will probably have to play with it some more.

cheers.

Thanks
    Hi i´m kinda new here, don´t know if this place i can take my doubts so here goes:

i want to participate in this chow - seasons and i´m looking to finals treath to put my wip´s and final image. does anyone can help on this

thanks

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast