Grow disinterested part way through pieces and have trouble finishing

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Grow disinterested part way through pieces and have trouble finishing

I tend to see where a picture will go and grow almost uninterested in it consequentially, not finishing the piece.

This habit is something that really bothers me and I do NOT want to be like this.

I feel like I already know what I am going to do with it so why bother going any further? Geez, reading I just typed that makes me feel retarded......I can't believe I get like this at times...................

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by jeris82; October 18th, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey just cause I'm new here doesn't mean I should be ignored okay lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're not getting responses because your question doesn't really belong in this section.

Show us some artwork, and maybe we can give you some pointers.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" -- Confucius

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstein

Pixelestial's Gallery

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelestial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get the same thing, I can't remember when the last time I finished a piece was. Any motivational advice would be greatly appreciated.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The-rails For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted another thread in the critique center with my art, Ill get the link.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think no one has replied because this isn't really the place for advice like this. It's a place for critiquing work, and you have none posted here, so people are skimming past this thread in search for pieces that need feedback.

A better place for a thread like this would probably be in the lounge, which is a place where you have can have discussions like this and you'll probably get a better response.

Welcome to the forum and post some work here so we can critique it! ^_^

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you want to hit the Sketchbook thread with all these half draw images.

I have the same problem with you about the whole "Half completeing a project" and it's getting to the point were it's preventing me from getting jobs. From what i can see you have more talent in you half completed pictures then I do in the few projects i've mangaed to complete. I suggest that the next piece you half create you stick here and get people to comment on it, hopefully that feedback and criticism will get your ass into gear

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gail_Blitzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I feel like I already know what I am going to do with it so why bother going any further?"

Well. There are about 50 quick answers to this that probably won't help. Let me try to come at it another way.

One thing that most people don't realise is that motivation comes after the fact. That is, we are rarely motivated to do something before we start. Today's motivation is the tail end of a chain of motivated moments. You do something, you complete it well, you feel a boost in your mood (probably endorphins firing off or something). That boost then energises you to do the next thing, and the boost you get from that charges you up for the one after. Of course, what this means is that waiting to get motivated is a losing game. For the 1st one, you just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Do you stop and appreciate the work you did and just enjoy it? That is really underrated, yet so important.

How close was the finished work to your original vision - not quite, exactly like, or even better? If it was not quite what you wanted, you can get discouraged and want to give up, interpreting that as lack of motivation instead of fears of mediocrity. If it was better, well that's great - now what have you learned to take you to the next level?

If all you are doing is marking time, doing what you know you can do over and over, there will be no motivation. You'll get bored. Looking at "skill level" satisfaction - are you as good as your idols? Well, no. Why not? You need to answer that question - have you really pushed your technical ability to it's max yet? If not, what are you afraid of?

Do you need to take on more challenging topics? Right now your airbrush work is pretty cool, but also one dimensional, will little emotional content beyond the obvious. This can make for a sameness, which becomes boring, which, again, lowers the motivation factor considerably.

Why do you paint at all? We all have reasons; for some people being creative is a hobby, something to fill time away from work. I paint for the same reason I do therapy, write music, poetry, etc - I can't not do it. If I were to try to stop expressing the creative urge that burns inside I'd go absolutely bonkers. So what are your reasons?

Why, really, are you stopping - how much have you examined your reasons? Sometimes it is just as you've said, but often the reasons are more complex. Rather than asking "why aren't I motivated", you might ask "what do I have to be doing here to make this image excitingfor me?"

Is it image content, emotional content, or knowing that I'm pushing my skills to the limit and that I could crash and burn here really easily? Frazetta spoke about this last thing; his skills were astounding, and he would do an entire painting in one or two days - but he admits the crashes were pretty spectacular, because he painted with passion, on the knife-edge of his skills, and sometimes he couldn't save the painting.

Hope this helps a bit

D'Arcy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to justa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail_Blitzy View Post
    I suggest that the next piece you half create you stick here and get people to comment on it, hopefully that feedback and criticism will get your ass into gear

THANK YOU!!!!

Your absolutely correct. I refuse to accept that I have been this way and I will die before I let this kind of habit destroy my chances at an artistic career. It's comments like yours that will help me persevere.

i am SO glad I found this place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully. Your time was not wasted.

I understand everything you said and it made me look at things slightly differently. It also made me understand a thing or two.

I am not at the level of my idols but I have always been taught to have profound confidence in oneself and (virtually psychotic) drive and determination. I think and (at the risk of being considered cocky) KNOW I can achieve that level of artistic precision. All it takes is memorization ultimately. memorizing where to put lines, where to shade and highlight etc to be able to take a step back, look at my work and say "There it is". But do we ever reach our artistic pinnacle? Ah, I digress.......

I DO need to challenge myself more, I just really realized it, I need a CHALLENGE. I need to add aspects to my art that I am unfamiliar with and expand my knowledge in that aspect.

I do think why I at times lack the desire to finish my work is because it is something I have done before. Also, maybe I do need to give the piece a chance to develop more, to give me a sense of accomplishment/enjoyment and thereby increase my motivation.

I create art because I always have, it makes me feel good and it is the one thing I have always been considered exceptional at. Hell my family is primarily comprised of artists. My last name Aragon, if you look into it, there is historical artists dating back to the Renaissance who played a role in it. It is literally in my blood. My father and his father were both artists in their respective profession.

I am somewhat confused about what I can do to make a piece exciting for me, at the risk of being something I have already done and then bringing me back to the drawing board, no pun intended. But where there is a will there is a way and these last two posts have HELPED me, plain and simple and I thank you for that more than what typing words here can show you.

Quote Originally Posted by justa View Post
    "I feel like I already know what I am going to do with it so why bother going any further?"

Well. There are about 50 quick answers to this that probably won't help. Let me try to come at it another way.

One thing that most people don't realise is that motivation comes after the fact. That is, we are rarely motivated to do something before we start. Today's motivation is the tail end of a chain of motivated moments. You do something, you complete it well, you feel a boost in your mood (probably endorphins firing off or something). That boost then energises you to do the next thing, and the boost you get from that charges you up for the one after. Of course, what this means is that waiting to get motivated is a losing game. For the 1st one, you just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Do you stop and appreciate the work you did and just enjoy it? That is really underrated, yet so important.

How close was the finished work to your original vision - not quite, exactly like, or even better? If it was not quite what you wanted, you can get discouraged and want to give up, interpreting that as lack of motivation instead of fears of mediocrity. If it was better, well that's great - now what have you learned to take you to the next level?

If all you are doing is marking time, doing what you know you can do over and over, there will be no motivation. You'll get bored. Looking at "skill level" satisfaction - are you as good as your idols? Well, no. Why not? You need to answer that question - have you really pushed your technical ability to it's max yet? If not, what are you afraid of?

Do you need to take on more challenging topics? Right now your airbrush work is pretty cool, but also one dimensional, will little emotional content beyond the obvious. This can make for a sameness, which becomes boring, which, again, lowers the motivation factor considerably.

Why do you paint at all? We all have reasons; for some people being creative is a hobby, something to fill time away from work. I paint for the same reason I do therapy, write music, poetry, etc - I can't not do it. If I were to try to stop expressing the creative urge that burns inside I'd go absolutely bonkers. So what are your reasons?

Why, really, are you stopping - how much have you examined your reasons? Sometimes it is just as you've said, but often the reasons are more complex. Rather than asking "why aren't I motivated", you might ask "what do I have to be doing here to make this image excitingfor me?"

Is it image content, emotional content, or knowing that I'm pushing my skills to the limit and that I could crash and burn here really easily? Frazetta spoke about this last thing; his skills were astounding, and he would do an entire painting in one or two days - but he admits the crashes were pretty spectacular, because he painted with passion, on the knife-edge of his skills, and sometimes he couldn't save the painting.

Hope this helps a bit

D'Arcy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to help. Looking forward to see where you go from here :-)

D'Arcy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to justa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had a better outlook and tried working my way around any problems with a piece I had today which resulted in what I should always remember will happen; I got that sense of accomplishment and it made me want to work on it more and more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what I think it might be? You're staying so firmly in your comfort zone in terms of subject matter that you're bored. You've just posted eight demonoid portraits.

I found it tremendously motivating to draw to briefs written by others. I can feel the challenge when I'm doing it, and when I'm done, it's obvious there's been some progression because I've drawn something I've never drawn before! Also, while you might put up with a half-drawn picture, nobody else will.

Try joining the Creature/Character/Environment/etc. of the Week challenges!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.