Thanks

Thus I return on my knees asking for naught but the simple pleasure of good advice

It has been quite a year. I've learned a bit, and I've neglected these forums far too much. It was only after seeing too many so-called "artists" both unskilled in their trade and unwilling to accept useful advice, that I realized just how much I needed a really good critique from professional artists far greater than myself.

If you're still with me, I ask that you review what I have posted below and impart some critiques as to how it might be improved.

the first one was done mostly as a shading exercise, light is coming from the top for the most part, but I made the mistake of shading without actually defining a singular light source. It's missing the feet, the hand, and the other arm due to issues of laziness and the fact that it was pretty late in the evening when I drew it.

The second one I call Annabelle, and what I was going for here was sort of a hodgepodge creature that was once a perfectly normal human woman, but was mutated, I suppose the best thing to reference it against would be a naga, mostly just in the shape though. The full tail isn't yet depicted however.
    the big mutated arm is where I'm looking for the most advice, what I'm going for is kind of a mix between tree bark and muscle tissue.

Ok, I've done enough talking. I'm ready to listen.
    Last edited by Brewmaster; October 28th, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Brewmasters Sketchbook
    click it, you'll be glad you did

"At least I'm dying in the coolest way possible, eaten by a dragon-shark! Made of lasers!"
    -Schlub-

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    UPDATE:
    here's another piece I did for a class a couple semesters ago.
    Brewmasters Sketchbook

"At least I'm dying in the coolest way possible, eaten by a dragon-shark! Made of lasers!"
    -Schlub-

Thanks
    just a quick bit of sketching
    Brewmasters Sketchbook

-Schlub-

Thanks
    UPDATE: Semi-massive dump here, at one point I was toying around a lot with digital painting in photoshop, also got a little bit of somewhat unfinished line art and a sketch here.
    Brewmasters Sketchbook

-Schlub-

Thanks
    Hello, there's promising things here, keep practicing and getting to know the digital medium. Your line drawings look good, and that B/W+redhair girl has some good rendering going on.

Try to make some landscapes through references, I always find it very rewarding!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakka View Post
    Hello, there's promising things here, keep practicing and getting to know the digital medium. Your line drawings look good, and that B/W+redhair girl has some good rendering going on.

Try to make some landscapes through references, I always find it very rewarding!
    I appreciate the suggestion, and I will definitely try out some landscapes through references (it's actually something I have to do as part of an animation project anyway) hopefully those will yield favorable results.

In the meantime here's a little thing I've been toying around with in my spare time.
    Brewmasters Sketchbook

-Schlub-

Thanks
    A couple of updates here.
    Updated version of the little creature in the above post.
    And a background I'm working on for use in an animation project. It's supposed to be a back alley between two stores.
    Brewmasters Sketchbook

-Schlub-