Too late to start?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Too late to start?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Too late to start?

Hey all, nice to join this site. Might as well tell you my small back story. I'm 24 years old, and a IT grad/Bartender. Art was one of those things that I always wanted to become really good at, but I never seemed to get it right. To put it bluntly, I personally believe I have the statistical skills of a 7 year old.

A long story short, I was pretty much discouraged for awhile to try to pursue working on my skills. Though I am getting the basics down, I still have a long, long way to go.

My question is, am I a day late and a dollar short? Or can I still develop and actually one day become professional?

Anyways, feel free to link any guides and tutorials, I'll be scanning through the forums to gather all the info I can due to the fact I'm an info .

Peace out!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey HD_Decker,

I personally have been where you are and I can tell you that it can be done. I didn't start drawing until I was 25 and working as Internet Tech Support. My family pretty much told me that "I can do art as a hobby". It's taken me 6 years to get to the level that got me a job with a game developer doing concept art full time.

When I tell people that I started drawing at 25, they say "bullshit". But it's the truth. Yes, I would doodle and sketch but I didn't have the knowledge or the skills to get my ideas across. I could copy a Disney character but I couldn't paint or even be able to draw the same thing twice.

What you need is a little knowledge and a lot of practice. Keep doing your day job and take every spare cent and invest it in books and dvds and practice your ass off. If you play WoW, cancel it. Take every free minute to practice.

Some people would say, "just draw from life", for me that didn't work. I needed the knowledge from books and dvds and then to apply it to drawing from life to get things to click. It's not going to happen tomorrow or it might not happen in 6 years but for me, I'm 32 now and officially have my first year in the game industry. You can do anything if you work hard!

good luck!

3. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to RogerAdams For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx Roger, that pretty much tells me that it can be done. For some reason, I also have a hard time drawing from life as well (must be a thing with us techs ). Anyways, I've seen a bunch of tutorials that have helped as well. I'll defiantly be keeping up at it now.

BTW, I laughed when you mentioned WoW, I actually quit awhile back due to how much time it consumed.

Anyways, thanks for telling me your story, now I at least know that it CAN be done.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HD_Decker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a killer round of inspo check out MindCandyMan's sketchbook thread, it's what I go to when I'm feeling down on myself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
    For a killer round of inspo check out MindCandyMan's sketchbook thread, it's what I go to when I'm feeling down on myself.
    I took a good look at his journey sketchbook, and damn that was impressive, much thanks for that info!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, Im 23 and I'm pretty much in your situation and feels good to know I'm not alone in this struggle. Roger, your story was exactly what I needed to hear to get motivated and keep pushing forward. Let's keep improving our skills to achieve our dreams

(Sorry for my english - I'm from Portugal)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kosta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can do eet!! I started when I was 24 (to make some pictures of my MMO character while waiting for a new patch to come out). At first it was just now and then, but slowly got more serious about it (was still in school for accounting, so wasn't really "practical" to do art).

I been drawing for 2 years now and just moved out to take classes at gnomon. I don't think it's too late. Sure I am "behind" a lot of artists my age, but it just means I have to work harder.

The way I figure it, you have the rest of your life to think about. Wouldn't you rather spend that time doing what you love? What you think is FUN and would make you happy to go to work to do? I think it's worth "starting over" and going after...as long as you are serious about it and really are ready to put in the effort and don't let small bumps in the road make you give up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Never too late, better late then never. Check this thread out:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Edit:

Damn, didn't see you posting about it, Izzie.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Make a sketchbook thread, HD_Decker. Commit to doing studies and updating it, take in people's advice, search CA high and low for all kinds of information... you'll get there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dead is too late to start - but if rigor mortis hasn't set in yet, I'd say go for it - the longer you sit around dithering, the older you get

Dave

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    Never too late, better late then never. Check this thread out:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Edit:

Damn, didn't see you posting about it, Izzie.
    HOLY SSSSHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIII.....................!!!!

I'm 31 and just getting serious. If you're too old I'm screwed.

The advantage of starting now and not being able to draw is you can learn properly from the get go instead of developing bad habits you have to break.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To quote an old SVA subway poster:
    "At 35, Paul Gauguin worked in a bank. It is never too late."

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I'm in a similar position, except I have no job at the moment. I'm 21, I have an animation diploma, studied graphic design also but just stopped because it isn't what I want to do. Realistically speaking I don't believe I have much to show from either.

I want to dedicate my spare time studying art but of course need something to support myself for 6 years or however it takes to be at a professional level while I do so. Is this a no-brainer? Should I just bartend or something?

Natzuur-JK is offline Arrrggghhh im a..... ninja? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you really want it, it should be no question at all. Taking risks is what leads to rewards, but realisticly , you'll need a job while trying to get good at art. =)

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimRabbit View Post
    I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but I'm in a similar position, except I have no job at the moment. I'm 21, I have an animation diploma, studied graphic design also but just stopped because it isn't what I want to do. Realistically speaking I don't believe I have much to show from either.

I want to dedicate my spare time studying art but of course need something to support myself for 6 years or however it takes to be at a professional level while I do so. Is this a no-brainer? Should I just bartend or something?
    I think the key to training yourself is all about making choices. Do you go out Friday night or stay in and draw? And what do you draw? Some nights it's from imagination and other nights it's studying the muscles of the arm.

Find any job that will allow you to support your goals. If you are like me, by the time you are 25 you will have had several jobs. And if it has stress find a different job. No amount of money is worth the toll stress does on your body and mind.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogerAdams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey well im just slightly younger than you but pretty much in the same situation many artists started 'late' (20 something) and they're all friggin awesome now.

i decided to pick up art last year, but had to finish up my law degree first...yea i'm ditching law for art! O__O but art is so much more inspiring and interesting to me..so yeah. i'm gonna fuckin do it man.

gonna work hard and draw every day.

oh took a look at DirtyC , bumskee, algenpfleger (although the stupidly fast rate of improvement algenpfleger had is a bit of a put off sometimes ), and some other artists around CA.. you'll be amazed at how people can improve in a few years!

good luck dude!

[edit] forgot to mention tha dirtyC i think started aruond 25..or 27 or something. bumskee around the same, 24 or wahtver. and now they're INSANEEEeee.

Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerAdams View Post
    I think the key to training yourself is all about making choices. Do you go out Friday night or stay in and draw? And what do you draw? Some nights it's from imagination and other nights it's studying the muscles of the arm.

Find any job that will allow you to support your goals. If you are like me, by the time you are 25 you will have had several jobs. And if it has stress find a different job. No amount of money is worth the toll stress does on your body and mind.
    Thanks that makes complete sense. The only problem for me is figuring out what jobs would be the least stressful.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GrimRabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GrimRabbit, you got me out of my lurking mode...

For the job, if you can... find something that can give you "free time", like security at night or something. That way, you can sketch at your job

28. The Following User Says Thank You to soul-core For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decker !
    it's nowhere near too late for you to start. honestly, that fear of it being too late, of thinking you wont be good enough in time to make a life out of drawing, it just steals more time off you. you're young, put loads of effort in and you could be coming out with cool images very soon.

Ian Miles is offline Leave you message after press enter key. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey.
    Im coming to my 27s and Im starting to litoff.

Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there prejudice against older people being hired in the industry? Such as: "Kick ass portfolio but too old, sorry." Just curious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonor View Post
    Is there prejudice against older people being hired in the industry? Such as: "Kick ass portfolio but too old, sorry." Just curious.
    Yes there is a limit to how old you can be, no one wants to hire someone who looks like there dad, plus everyone knows that younger people are WAY better at motor skills and creativity, and it withers with age, and age 30 is the cut off after that if your not already a pro you have no chance of ever being able to draw/what ever you want to do.
    Plus after 30 your portfolio is never as kick ass as it could be.

Lol jsut kiding there is no age, but you might feel that way because there are are so many young people that are so good at drawing that it seems like you would be to old.There is no age limit so if you want to do it go and do it NOW don't let that little fear control what you want to do, if you want it bad enough you can get what you want and then some

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure you can do it. It all depends now on if you put in the hard work needed to get better

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hypothetical situation -

How cool would it be if you`re 60 and working as a CA with a bunch of kids? And every one of them goes "Man, when I`m old, I want to be a cool old geezer just like him!" And, I don`t know about you, but I`d constantly shake my fist and go "ah, you youngsters, in my days...! When I was young...! Kids nowadays...! Respect your elders!" Oh, and a must have - "Kids, be careful which plug you pull out around me, K?"

35. The Following User Says Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Enydimon is offline Drunken Bridgman lead me to victory! Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you're on your deathbed and with your last breath you were like, "OH CRAP! I FORGOT TO GET INTO ART!" it's never too late. ;P

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enydimon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by enydimon View Post
    unless you're on your deathbed and with your last breath you were like, "oh crap! I forgot to get into art!" it's never too late. ;p

"Oh crap! I forgot to get into art! Quick, bring me a penc..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Never too late to start

You are 24 years young and you are worried if it's too late to start drawing? Wow! I'm 45 years old and hadn't been drawing since High School (decades ago), but it wasn't too late for me. I only struggle with starting a drawing. Once I have the basic proportion and measurements of objects, which is really the most time consuming for me, personally, the rest is fairly easy, as long as you really pay attention to every detail you see. Check out art-related books at your local library as well as online resources, especially YouTube for help.

Best of luck. :-)

Kay

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay B For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is it too late?

...yes. To start upon a thankless journey, that will be painful, embarrassing, fraught with anguish, despair, self-doubt, and moments where you question your very existence?

...yes. You are too late.

Because if you haven't been doing that before taking up the pencil or brush, wacom or pen, then you are too late.

Let me help you along. YOU SUCK!

Now, you can begin.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

42. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started taking art seriously 2 years ago.

I have been (officially) working in the industry as a Concept Artist for video games since April this year.

I turn 34yo in 2 weeks.

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NeecHMonkeY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A German saying goes like this: "It's never too late". Pure an simple.

Although I did draw comics roughly 10 years ago, I did do nothing the last 6 years and now start to paint digitally. I would never bother to think if it is too late for me and I'm turning 36 early next year.

On another note: Isn't fun to draw and paint? That's all that counts. Oh and at least for me it is always fun to learn what makes fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12