Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow really nice SB~
    Now I see you already know about that shadow theory O^O"
    Your pencil shading is incredible..
    I don't think I can give here more than I take XD
    So, keep it up!

I struggle with my art studies and stuff, but I NEVER quit. *cough* just making myself clear
    Here, check my Sketchbook, drop a comment, you're always welcomed
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet pencil work. Now I'm really looking forward to the cast study.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you improved so much. you've got an amazing style of shading
    i wish i would be that good
    keep it up :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're renders are fantastic. They feel so intuitive. If you can keep your line work and edges clean, I see some fantastic work in your near future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quite nice renders I must say, keep it up dude, there's a lot of potential in here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw man, I accidentally hit a bookmark and now it deleted my post. Sucks! Anyways thanks everyone, I wish I was half as good as you say haha. To make things short because I don't want to type everything again and I gotta go back to drawing: I'm trying to transition into doing more of an entertainment / industrial design route (I'd like to do concept art eventually after all!), so I haven't been finishing all the value studies I got going on. I'm still working on the classical stuff, I think I'll enroll in the CGMW master classes when they start the next term, so until then I'll still be doing mostly cast drawings. I will have some for the next update though, for now all I got are some pretty boring stuff that I didn't spend 50 hours on like I usually do, but didn't want to wait another 3 years between updates. I still suck at this stuff... Sorry, next one will be better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those Scott Robertson-esque perspective exercises are great! Im going to be taking a CGMW class next term too, probably the Peter Han one. Which one were you looking at?

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a whole lot of improvement in your work ! good job man, very inspiring to me !

Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks you two! Some stuff from drawing while I was in class, had plans after so not as much time as usual. And check out my new pens!

What? Don't pretend like the first thing you guys would do when you got a batch of new pens wouldn't be to set it up for a photo! I wanted to try using the colored ones too, didn't seem to make it much more organized for me but I guess it's nice to have them anyways, and they're really a joy to draw with. Cheaper than the ones I used before as well.

Other than this just been drawing some cubes, doing basic exercises and stuff like that. Will work on my cast a bit before I'm off to bed, and got all day to draw tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll update because the kind of stuff I work on daily sucks and I haven't really been putting any time into any long-term stuff other than the cast!

Woah what the heck, these turned out really small... First time I tried resizing using ImageShack.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, it's ok we can see them
    These forms are gorgeous, and the new pens..are just perfect!;A;
    Keep up the good work!~

I struggle with my art studies and stuff, but I NEVER quit. *cough* just making myself clear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, yeah I love the new pens, definitely recommend them! They feel pretty light and don't make a mess like the ballpoint one I drew with before.

Here are some perspective studies from today and did a few pages of the usual cubes, line exercises etc. that I'm not gonna bother showing and now moving on to the cast again. I mess up a lot of them, I often miss lines and everything ends up messy (and I do the manual thick ones to try and bring out the form, it's impossible to tell what's going on otherwise what with all the mess everywhere else hehe). Gotta get a hold of some markers for that so I don't have excuses not to get my lines perfect!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your perspective shapes man, all of them seem to work very well actually. I was wondering where you learned the technique?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 2,426 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Pro studies.
    Really inspiring.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finnianm: Sent you a PM, hopefully you got it. But it's Scott Robertson's DVD in case anyone else was wondering.

Sir Plissken: Thanks man, I hope to see an update from you soon!

Been a busy weekend, spent all of it at my friend's place. Brought some paper though and drew when I got the chance. A bit rude, but hopefully I'll make up for it in not sucking so much at drawing some day! A few of these I actually drew on the bus... Hope it's obvious which ones those were haha, yeah I can't tell what's going on there either.

On some of the last ones, the lines didn't seem that messy, but the form is still very hard to read. I guess it's a combination of drawing smaller and having more lines to deal with. I didn't have much room, so I had to draw mostly with my wrist, meaning pretty small drawings. I decided to draw 1000 cubes starting from 0, up to 45 now. I've been told that's a good number for being able to draw them properly, we'll see!

Since I was away all weekend, I wasn't able to work on the cast. I'm definitely expecting to have it done by the end of this month at the latest though, but who knows. I'm learning a ton from this industrial design approach, so I might wait a bit before I get back into value studies. A combination would be ideal, but until I really have a feel for this I don't want to spread myself too thin and this works for me right now, and I have so much more to learn about this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work Yochanan.
    But you've been doing a lot of industrial designs, why not add some gesture drawings besides that?
    You know, get loose a bit to get some "freedom" in your lines, that would give you a "flow" in your shapes.

Good luck with the 1000 cubes, and thanks for the pro tip!
    Keep it up~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tips...

Perspective never converges towards the viewer...

Personally I'd redo all those all over again plotted towards a VP just so you get the understanding, I saw the old stuff you did and it looks like you had the understanding but after looking at this I'm kinda questioning what's going on.

I respect you saw the scott robertson dvd and all but really if you can't draw boxes properly then I dunno, it's like pissin in the wind if you want to just to complicated stuff. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just saying. I feel like there is stuff your not seeing here and your just trying to jump the gun.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects

Fresh2draw.co.cc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job, man. Tremendous progress. Always remember that if you feel that your work sucks more than usual, it's most likely because you are seeing more mistakes, which means you are actually getting better and not worse.

And your cubes are looking better without a doubt.

I don't know if it will help, but instead of constructing cubes, try drawing cubes from observation and then get back to constructing again. Eventually, alternating between the 2 approaches will start giving results.

Keep it up, you are improving big time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice progress after the big stop time. I liked specially your cast drawings. Maybe would you be interested in this? http://www.drawing-tutorials-online....partment68.cfm

Sketchbook
    Tumblr - Drawing Journey

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, your casts look great! I love how you render with pencil. I've seen little pieces of your work around this forum and the work you do with a pencil is superb. Did you go to an atelier? I have been struggling with rendering for a while now and wanted to know what your secret is, if you don't mind sharing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone!

Blackbridge: Haha yeah, that's very true. Jon had me do cubes from life too, definitely helps. I got up to 400, last few days I've been putting stuff in them though. I've gotten so much out of just continuing to practice them without plotting down the vanishing points and estimating where everything goes.

alfred: Thanks for the link, actually I haven't posted my cast drawing yet, those were just bargues and photo studies.

bodied: Thank you, nope I haven't been to an atelier. I've learned from Jonathan Hardesty (ClassicalArtOnline.com). There really is no secret other than taking a very, very long time to render it.

Here's what I've been doing the past week or so. Just filling up page after page, front and back, with curves, ellipses, straight lines and quick perspective studies. Feels like it's paying off a bit already, just gonna keep practicing like this and continue to bump up the drawing actual objects-to-exercises ratio as I get better control. It really does feel like starting all over, never felt I really needed a lot of line control with the bargues.

And here's an old Bouguereau study I never finished.

Last edited by yochanan; May 23rd, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bouguereau study is incredible!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love how you presented your practice sheets. I'm doing the same stuff right now and have up to a dozen pages filled up with junk at the end of the day. Then I waste time trying to pick 2 or 3 to post. From now on I'll just snap the whole bunch. Your approach is very clever, thank you for showing it.

I completely agree with you about how little line control bargues require. Bargue and his buddies took care of the lines for us, all we have to do is take 2 seconds or 2 hours to copy them accurately. These Robertson exercises are a completely different story, aren't they?

Please keep inspiring me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whirly: Trade me your Cintiq for it?

Blackbridge: Thank you so much, I find it hard to believe anyone could be inspired by me though! I think you're much better than me though. I think my approach is more lazy than it is clever haha.

Yep, the bargues are a whole other story. This is a lot different for sure, but I no doubt learned a ton from the bargues and I don't intend on giving up on classical stuff at all.

Here's an update for what I've been doing since last one. Still all sucky, but hey I feel like I'll get better from it. Doing more perspective and less line exercises now, though on the back of most of these are just lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yochanan View Post
    Whirly: Trade me your Cintiq for it?
    Sure ya can Johan, two secs I will just go box it ... oh wait never mind you still stuck at art. Best keep drawing then!!!

Nice job with all the exercises but do some real life stuff too. Keep trying to apply. They will be crap but the first ones are gonna be crap anyway so just do it!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sexy stuff here

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with Whirly - more actual studies. There are no short cuts to life. Maybe you want want to keep them simple. Bragues teach you to look, now you have to think.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gunsbins: Will do, good to hear from you!

Whirly: NO! Yeah you're right of course. Speaking of which, you should try doing some real life stuff too, keep trying to apply. They will be crap but the first ones are gonna be crap anyway, so just do it!

Aryeh: Thanks mate, finally someone sees all the sensual energy I was trying to express through my bargues and perspective studies!

Black Spot: Yep yep, I know. Value studies are no problem, perspective studies are no problem, but when I have to draw real stuff I just instantly feel like I should go back to practicing other stuff before I'm ready. I just can't get my mind straight when trying to understand what I'm drawing, and actually drawing it at the same time.

Well, here are some speed paintings. Never did any speed paintings before, so this was a first for me. Spent an hour and a half on each. I actually thought the first one turned out alright, second one was meh, and the last one infinitely terrible. If I show you guys my bad stuff I'll be more motivated to get some nicer stuff done too!

Giving myself a time limit seems to work pretty nice though, and I feel like I get a lot more done in the time that way. Not to mention it makes it easier to do both perspective and value studies, otherwise I end up just working on a single study until I'm happy with it (which takes forever). Just finished my exams so now I have plenty of time to draw more.

Other than this I've been doing more perspective, but nothing too exciting there. Just more of the same really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I hadn't seen the last one great work mate!

I was thinking maybe you should try doing some real life stuff too, keep trying to apply. They will be crap but the first ones are gonna be crap anyway, so just do it

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yochanan, speed painting is awesome. I love how much character these images have. I can tell it's not just a technical application; you put a lot of emotion into it. Crazy cool!

Re drawing from life: use the skills you learned from bargues. Start with the most generic blockin. Don't stress, don't be afraid, don't worry, and most importantly, don't judge yourself, just drop a simple shape to enclose your focal subject. Then correct, refine. Then correct and refine some more. Then you'll realize that the whole thing doesn't look quite right because your original blockin was off. So you start all over again that's it.

And if it looks like crap, at least it looks like something. That's always better than a blank sheet of paper, isn't it? Remember, you don't need to show your drawings to anyone until you feel comfortable with presenting your effort. Burn the studies, if it makes you feel better. Then you will be just like Michelangelo

Keep them coming, your stuff looks excellent and your progress is showing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7