Sketchbook: Yochanan sketchbook (newbie) - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Yochanan sketchbook (newbie)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice going with the Loomis. Keep fighting a little more and you can do something more satisfying soon :p

Isnt it fun to draw with a Wacom! I really get lost in time when I begin. Make sure you set the pressure and things to make the most out of the wacom.
    There is alot of great info in the Wacom and PS sections of this forum.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i ll go to the west-denmark coast like Blavand,Veijers (Esbjerg or Varde) somewhere in this area, but just a little house at the beach for 2weeks maybe

hehe nice Treemonster just a bit too light coloured i think try to use more
    b/w contrast. keep on drawing ^^

-> Sketchbookle<-
    -> DA-Gallery<-
    german:->Klopapier beidseitig benutzen, dann liegt der Erfolg auf der Hand
    english:>Use both sides of the toilet paper,if u do so ,u can see the success in your Hands !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ArrAy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasn't happy at all with this one. So many things are off I'm not even gonna begin, but I can't be bothered with this "advanced mannequin" any more, least for now. No real point in doing a mannequin when it takes me this long to make it look right, compared to the simple one which takes a few minutes! I'd perfect 'em but just wanted all angles finished and too tired now. Tried not to measure too much but I think I would've learned more from just doing the front and side a few times, gives me a better feel of the shape than copying the perspective drawings.

Played shortly with the Wacom too but nothing worth showing really. Will try to get more done tomorrow, will definitely if I don't have to do homework!

ArrAy: Yeah I know the contrasts were missing in it, but like I said was it was just standard Photoshop, so it was hard to get contrast in it. Just wanted to practice the pressure sensitivity. Thanks!

krel: Thanks mate, the mannequins are kinda annoying me! Which is obvious from today, then again should've spend more time. You keep at it too, we'll have a draw-off in a year or so!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some different stuff today! Watched a 2 hour lesson on perspective and basic forms, which was pretty cool. Very different than the figure studies! Drew some gesture, some perspective, tried another digital ball and for the first time tried posemaniacs. The 90 seconds are still a bit too fast for me, obviously. Gonna keep trying though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More perspective (digital this time)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made a short GIF-animation with a free program called Pencil today! Didn't spend so much time on it but was fun to try. Also did a perspective thing, trying to add depth to the ground plane using the vanishing points. Nothing fancy, but first time I've tried that. Also did a few posemaniacs, but still terrible. Everything that isn't "3/4" is pretty much impossible for me to draw no matter how much time I get. Just have to keep drawing drawing drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting used to digital is an interesting process- and yeah, it definitely is different to using a pencil. I've only had my Bamboo Fun (Wacom- and yeah, Bamboo Fun... go ahead and laugh! I'M POOR, OK????) for five months, but eventually you will learn all the brushes, the tools and the tricks that makes learning digital art a wonderful medium. In saying that, you might notice that you can't quite get the detail that you would with natural mediums. There are benefits and drawbacks to both.

As for your studies? The hips are a little think i think in most cases- get a wide variety of reference images- off the internet, of your siblings, of your family, friends, celebrities (lol)... doesn't matter where. Try to analyze those and see what they all have in common. Learning that way will definitely benefit you, as you will be more used to drawing the different proportions of actual people. In saying that, keep up with your current studies, as they are doing you some good.

Remember, people draw for their entire lives to get where they are today! Never be discouraged by what they can do and you currently can't. You'll get there with dedication, drive and a hell of a lotta practice!

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hej yochanan!

Keep doing those anatomy studies - they WILL pay of in the long run.
    I dont really have that much more to add other then what braintree has already say, so just keep going

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup, just keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where did you go Johan? You perspective studies look pretty cool! Keep fighting, man.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I haven't updated in a while, sadly the truth is I haven't drawn anything. Lately I just can't seem to stay focused and while I still want to learn to draw, other things are keeping me from doing it.

Supposedly school will continue to be pretty heavy until next year, but after I hope to have time and drive to get started again. Maybe even sooner, but it really depends how things go from now on. Hopefully I can get started soon enough!

Still I really appreciate all comments and how helpful everyone has been, and if I draw again I will be back for sure right away! Thanks everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yochanan View Post
    ArrAy: Thanks man! That's great, where in Denmark are you planning to go?

varible76: Woah really? That makes me want to draw even more, thanks! Yeah digital is a lot different. It's still a LOT easier for me to draw with a pencil, and will continue to do studies with pencil and paper (can't bring my tablet to school anyways). Might do some digital from time to time though, since I plan doing a lot more digital once I get the basics down!

Couldn't fall asleep after I woke up at 3AM, so decided to try out some more digital! Did this weird tree-monster or something, wanted to get a better feel of the pressure sensitivity, so used the same brush and the same colors etc. for all of it.

Gotta get ready for school, will try and post tonight as well.
    Can't go wrong with paper and pencil! Sorry I didn't respond soon enough, school is so distracting. There are times when I forgot what happen yesterday. Anyway, keep on trucking!

BTW, pump up the values on the tree monster, you can barely see it's face.
    Take it EZ.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bump haha. Well, I didn't draw for a VERY long time, doing the Loomis studies that I didn't really understand or feel I learned a lot from got very repetitive and boring. Last year I joined MindCandyMan's online atelier and I've been learning a ton from it. I took a break since the start of this year and getting started again now. I'll probably just post digital stuff (mostly copying B&W photos, at least for quite a while) and other things that aren't closely related with classical art training and his program here, but if people ask I don't mind sharing the rest too!

I don't know how frequently I'll be updating, but I probably will every once in a while. I'll be getting started with life drawing soon, up until now I've been focused on master copies and studies from photo reference, so that'll be a challenge for sure. My goals are actually still to learn perspective and anatomy, and maybe if it's in the cards and I get the opportunity, pursue a career in concept design or art. For now I'm sticking to doing it for the enjoyment of it and to improve!

Here's what I've been up to for the weekend (I work very slow haha, still takes me forever to do simple paintings). It's actually the first of what I'd consider actual digital work. Besides the little drawing I did years ago (before rapidly giving up on it), I haven't really experimented a lot with digital. Mostly just simple boxes to practice perspective and other exercises that I didn't feel like using paper for.

It's far from perfect, but I just wanted to try getting started with some value without preparing as much as I usually do with block-ins, and I'm pretty happy with the result. I had much more fun than what I've been trying to do before and I'm realizing I can get away with a lot less prep-work and more actual drawing by keeping the block-ins super rough and adjusting other things as I go along. It's still hard for me to manage to prioritize proportions before finishing up stuff, but I'll get there with more practice. It was nice to do something where the goal wasn't to be completely exact, but just practice in catching the form and values. That's something I need a lot more practice with for sure.

Last edited by yochanan; March 26th, 2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Removed reference to save screen space, it was really wide!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hej yochanan, thanks for stoppin by, that is a really big jump between posts haha look forward to what you are going to show us in the future.

Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for stopping by my sketchbook ive been lookin at your stuff ive got that manga book too haha! -
    keep at it, i think if your just starting out, you cant try to immitate people, thats my honest opinion, i think repetition and hard effort pays off, and later u can slowly move into ur own "style". i used to really struggle even draw 1 circle, it sucks. but it gets better =]
    as for me, to answer your question: both imaginary and studies are important, i sometimes like to combine them tho makes it more fun haha.
    im not really pressured to do good artwork, but im gunna do it anyways cus i have nothing better to do ha. take care mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update too btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always thought MondCandyMan's thread was very inspirational and it's great he now has an online atelier. It's pretty clear you've been learning there since there seems to be a huge jump from your drawings a couple of years back to now. The ear looks fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice yochanan, that ear it's pretty realistic and it seems that it's a nice improve on what you do, so, just keep practicing and working alternative on paper and digital, don't forget that traditional it's the best way to start

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, welcome back to your SB, man! Haha. I appreciate you stopping by mine, and to answer your question, it all comes down to what YOU feel is most productive. Do you think that doing a series of small studies is going to help you more, or do you feel that sitting down for a long period of time to work out one, bigger work is more productive? I'd personally say it's a mix between them. Right now, in fact, I'm doing all I can to wake up early (around 9am) and work AS MUCH as I can for the entire day until I either have to go to work or go to bed (which I've set my bedtime at midnight, so that I can wake up and feel good enough to do it all over again). I'm balancing my schedule during that time to encompass not only anatomy studies, drawing cartoons, etc, but also web design, graphic design, logo design, and those things related to them so that I can build my business. I feel like I'm ranting, but my main point is that I feel just as lost as anyone else does, so don't feel like you're alone in that regard. And if you don't feel like you're doing enough work each day, then sit down and figure out how much time you allow yourself to do things productively. If it's not enough, give yourself more time. Hope at least a small bit of that makes sense, and keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kryszjez: Thanks!

A Faux: Thanks, yep I totally agree. I don't consciously try to go for any kind of style, I just draw! It'll come as I progress technically I think.

Amerasu: Me too, actually his thread was what finally got me started in the first place. Up until that point, I always thought it was too late and that I just couldn't learn. Thank you!

Egg0: I will, and I'm still doing traditional stuff (working on a master copy and another bargue currently).

MrFrenik: Thanks for the suggestions, I'll respond in your sketchbook!

Not really happy with this one. Wanted to do it as a quick study, but ended up spending more time than I wanted to (if I had known I would've spent more time blocking stuff in and things would've looked less off than they do now). Maybe shouldn't bother with portraits just yet, stick to more simple subjects. It's also way too smooth, I don't really like how it looks. Didn't use very good reference either, just a random old picture I found. Oh well enough moaning, on to the next one!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually think the portrait turned out pretty well and is a great start for you to begin developing it further. One great thing about painting from life (whether it be from actual life or high resolution photos) is that it forces you to develop the ability to see all the details you never would've thought about seeing, and you begin to focus on all the small intricacies that a particular subject or material has in different lighting scenarios. Go back and look at the photo side by side with your painting and try and find where all the small differences lie. Always take into account the main points with lighting, which are soft lighting, highlights, core shadows, cast shadows, reflected/bounce lighting. If you can identify and accurately paint those things, your paintings will take on a whole new level.

P.S. I updated, if you want to check out my latest cartoon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those 3 years have certainly done you some good lol- welcome back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MrFrenik: Thanks man, not planning on spending any more time on it though! I responded in your sketchbook.

Rhubix: Haha thank you!

Tried using a different brush to force myself not to spend so much time getting things looking overly smooth (only used hard round until now). It seemed to work, kind of, I spent less time on this on anyways. Just trying to not finish it up as much as I actually want to. It's really hard for me because there's actually a ton of things I want to fix, but my goal is to stick to short-term studies when doing digital, so I'll have to live with it hehe.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your portrait turned out well too. It may be smooth but you can easily get back in there with more opacity and add in sharper lines for details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah, christ. Had to double take when I saw the last portrait. That three years break from here shows some good progress. Also, pretty funny how I used to have that same manga book too.

Oh, as a quick crit, that hand could do with more variance in its tones. When I look at my own hand it's darker just before the nail, full of little white bits where the skin's tearing, pale bony/wrinkly around the joints(Yes, my hands are pretty gross), etc. There's loads more I could pinpoint, but these little details make hands look more 'real' when you replicate those differences in tone on your own paintings.

Anyways, keep up the good work! Imagine what you'll be like in three more years, eh?

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn you improved a lot in those 3 years!!!

In my humble opinion, your digitals look really good!

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Massive jump in technique. I'd love to see what you're doing traditionally as well.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amerasu: Thank you, I'm actually working on another portrait now though. Never meant for it to be anything other than a quick study!

Naidy: Haha thanks, yeah seems like that author got paid big-time, everyone has that book. The hand was actually drawn from photo ref of a sculptured hand, so that might explain part of what you're seeing. I definitely didn't add all of the detail of the sculpture though, most of what I'm doing right now are value studies so I try to stick to that.

Trixtar: Thank you!

Black Spot: Here you go, finally finished my cast setup so when I'm finished with that I'll post it too (but that'll probably be more than a month away!). Here's everything I've done while at CAO (and I hadn't touched a pencil between my last post here and when I started, learned so much there).

I'm working on so many different things right now, so I expect to not post much in a bit and then all of a sudden, KABLAAM and post stuff as I finish it!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to yochanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the bargue copies dude! Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,425 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Very nice comeback after three years. Everyone
    likes great comebacks. I read that your goals are to
    master perspective and anatomy as much as it's possible,
    so I guess you are doing the right things. The last studies
    are looking very good, lacking contrast mainly these last ones,
    but that may be the scan or as you took the photo of them.
    Heading the right directions is what you are, so
    all that's left that we encourage you to do even more
    and even often. Looking forth for your new updates.
    Take care till then.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7