C.O.W.#158 -- Lives Beneath the Surface of the Moon -- WIPs posting thread...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W.#158 -- Lives Beneath the Surface of the Moon -- WIPs posting thread...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W.#158 -- Lives Beneath the Surface of the Moon -- WIPs posting thread...

For more infos and details about the rules go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Round #158 Lives Beneath the Surface of the Moon!

Topic:
    Lives Beneath the Surface of the Moon!

Creature Description: Lives Beneath the Surface of the Moon-- Thanks to DUMAN for the topic idea (though I reworded it slightly)... I think it's a timely topic, given some of the things NASA has been up to lately. I think it was last Friday, NASA essentially bombed the surface of the Moon with a probe called LCROSS. The point was to kick up a bunch of moondust with the hopes of finding water, ice crystals, below the surface. But what if the probe disturbed something far worse? Design a new creature that lives beneath the surface of the Moon only recently discovered by NASA's newest experiment.

Deadline:
    Wednesday October 21th

Finals go here: [URL="http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171308http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171308[/URL]

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; October 14th, 2009 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic. Looking forward to seeing these. Its been about 2 years since I have posted in the forums (stay in school, kids)...so, I'm thinking I might shake the cobwebs off and get after this one...hopefully. I hope I can still remember how to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just reminded me of this little article and what he says about the asteroid worm thing
    http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner...-star-wars.php

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, one of my topics got selected. I am both honored and humbled.
    Too bad I have absolutely no idea what I am going to make.
    Anyone have some cool alien references?
    Maybe I'll just start sketching and hope for the best...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back again!

It's been a while since i've joined in on an event.. think i may go ahead and try this one.. seems interesting. I'm a bit rusty so no laughing

Tantrom Frenzy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ideas

LOL, I was thinking of the irony of the matter and thinking of "Cow People on the moon. The ones that couldn't quite jump over the moon", that have taken to caves on the moon for survival. Might as well play on the whole CoW topic. Have fun with the ideas.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tantrom Frenzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice topic... definitely going to have to do this one!

Joshua A. Davis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well heres an idea i have

i worked on this crit and as i continued the work i decided that its prob not a good idea so i turned out to a new thing ive never done befor (well at least not as nearly as big scaled as this one ) and this is ....thumbnail skecthing @_@

made a few thunbs which my favourites on this grp are 4,5,7 and 8 but ill see if ill work on any of these...i might do another grp of thumbs cuz i think i like the process ^(^-^)^ and besides...im looking for something more...weird i guess ,then the ones ive comeup with
    c&C are more then welcomed

and about the first pic :
    no ref on the moon yet so i know its not taht accurate and i know it lacks a decent contrast ratio but ill see if i want to go further and work on it some more or ill work on another idea

Last edited by acb; October 14th, 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Don't Awaken Them!

14-6: And unto the heavens did the Annunaki rise, and in rising [sebb - connotations of flame, smoke] thus did bequeath [horem - possibly 'assign'] the lands and seas to men.
    14-7: In parting, Anshar lifted his left hand, and his right hand, and the land opened and yielded unto him Utukku [plural? - servants, also 'worm'].
    14-8: By Anshar's hand Utukku were [was?] divided [tith - cut] and sealed in urns of quartz [ed. - geodes?] and lifted [sebb - as above] to the empty place [desert?].
    14-9: Anshar, touching the earth with this mantle [shield?], spake, "Thus do I free you [esh - also 'illuminate'] of the Utukku, whom I have taken to the empty place."
    14-10: Anshar spake also, "Go not thence, for you shall awaken Utukku, and he [they?] will sorely trouble you, and devour you, for you are alone," and Anshar departed.
    14-11: Then passed a day and a night and a day [probable idiom. - not literal - c.f. Baxter, 1972], and men fell upon each other in war, and forgot.

Utukku

The Utukku are socio-parasitic telepaths, enormously powerful and individually capable of directing the minds of thousands of humans, at distances up to tens of kilometers. Their bodies, perfect at nanoscales, are suspected of being artificial, possibly technology-peak remnants of a civilization that arose during a prior phase of stellar evolution, four to six billion years ago.

They are impervious to hard vacuum, and though nearly indestructible (gigawatt lasers can cut them), they are physically weak, and can be effectively neutralized by encasing them in quartz crystal.

Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuseboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The great frosted deserts of the moon, the continents wrapped in deolation, all hide a far deeper and primordial beast. Beneath the dust boils a monster so vile its very appearence sears the eyes of those who look upon them. Blood sours and curdles to ichor in their presence. Looking into their eyes, a man can see everything that ever was tumbling through the myriad layers of Time towards the inevitable end. Imagine. Knowing, truly knowing, and being unable to forget the fact of death, that one all you know will be dust.
    These horrors, held down by the holy weight of that blessed dust cast upon the Luna scapes by Thrones and Dominions. Imprisoned. By no means the greatest threat to the fragile construction of the universe. But oh, the eyes. Best keep them far from all. Dont even let the mortals know they exist. Dont let them know that not every Fallen shot down to Infernal Realms. Dont let them know that devilish eyes watch them from the moon.
    Malefictus Luna. The Lunar Exiled.
    A probe touches the surface, just scattering enough of the dust...

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So just messin around with some ideas. Just wondering if this is too "characterized" to continue on with.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great concept Tom K. I can't wait to see it rendered with color and life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reminds me a bit of the Life on Titan topic that we had a while back =] Cool topic Duman!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuseboy: nice approach, I am thinking in the same vein with mine ... book of Enoch?

Joshua A. Davis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun idea, good work everyone. Here is my thing, I think I'll start over

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After the last round of phallic monstrosities, this round feels tame by comparison. here's my thing too, i'm calling them Lunar Bulbs, sounds lame i know, but better than Moon Onions lol. and i'm not sure i'm submitting this, but i'm pressed for time IRL,which sucks but a necessary evil. Hope to see more stuff here soon!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dwinbotp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

in progress

need to tighten up contrast, details in creature and moon itself...

this one is a bit more "psychologically/unconsciously" inspired...
    (wondering if it's anything to do with me listening to pink floyd while working on it?? lol)

Joshua A. Davis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to get everyone's opinion on which creature they think I should go with this week. I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arteater: Didn't even notice you on here man =P Where have you been? Hope you've been ok dude.

Dwinbotp: Great round last round bro. I like this new entry you have coming along. Very cool camera view.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work guys...some fantastic ideas thus far.

lege1: im really feeling number 4..maybe tweak it a bit

keep up the great work guys..im hoping to get in on some of these contests soon, just need to get my tablet haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arteater Your mood is spot on! Can't wait to see how you flesh this out

Awesome work, guys.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterPete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arteater Your mood is spot on! Can't wait to see how you flesh this out

Awesome work, guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lege!: Hey man, Everything has been good, just been busy, glad to see your still doing these c.o.w.s. I think I like #5 in your creature designs.

MasterPete: Thanks, but I'm a tad outa practice. I might just start over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phreek10Cent: Thanks alot man. I've created a poll for my creature concepts. Which ever one I go with will be adjusted more for the topic and of course rendered up in full. I want to focus the creature's design as much around the concept as possible. Thanks again! =]

Arteater: Excellent man and very good to see you back on here as I said before. Rip this shit up for real man. Lately there has been alot of good entries so fire that wacom up and rip rock with all of us. Hit me up whenevers...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP

Here we go, first WIP. Covered with moon dust, this guy's crab-like shell keeps him hidden, even in our best moon images. With his extremely slow metabolism, he spend most of his life stationary hunkered down in his hole, and siphons microfauna from the hard moon surface in his gaping mouth. The waste is expelled through a cloaca-like tube in the abdomen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nkunleashed: Very interesting creature I look forward to seeing more =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, Im thinking something like a giant walking jellyfish, or a creature made form an ancient, bone like material. maybe something in between. I know I want it to be tall and lanky, and using tentacles.
    Here are some really quick thumbs. Just silhouettes. Which one do you guys like?

Im leaning towards something like this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duman, totally diggin number 4, you could get some sweet textures on the crest, looks harder than the others more "moon rock"ish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What lies beneath the surface of the moon, what is on the mysterious "Dark Side" of the moon? A giant reptilian turtle alien who has been in hybernation for over a million years. After Nasa's bombing of the moon, he has now finally AWAKEN!

I'm going to try out a new technique this week. I'm going to do the whold drawing fully rendered in Black & White first (except the space background) and THEN go to color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What lives under the surface of the moon? The nymph of a satellite borer. The borers lay their eggs in natural satellites where they feast on whatever nutrients they can absorb by crushing up and digesting the surrounding dirt. As a result of their size and poor diet they are slow moving and can take thousands of years to complete their life cycle. The nymph is well equipped for digging with it's front claws, its tough 'beak' crushes up rock and its spines help it to pull its large body forward through tunnels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.