Sketchbook: Me sketchbook!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Me sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Me sketchbook!

Hellooo my fellow artists! I've been checking out this site for about a month now and decided to join. I LOVE your guys' work, whatever skill level; it just gives me this awesome motivation to draw. Perhaps it's because I can easily relate and understand your many frustrations when it comes to art. ANYWAYS...here is my first sketch.

First off, I must tell you that this is a Michelangelo; however, I used this piece to study the rhomboids.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick figure drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pencil work in the first sketch looks very promising, but the charcoal used for the shading just isn't working for me... same for the charcoal in the second sketch (possibly due to the texture of the paper).

I've found charcoal to be a very unforgiving medium on most art papers, so might I suggest you stick to pencils for sketchbooks? But if you really like charcoal, then newsprint or pastel paper is great for it.

At any rate, I like what I'm seeing in terms of the line quality and proportions, so keep at it and maybe try a few different drawing supplies along the way.

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

My ugly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch, bad painter!

Hmmm...I never gave much thought about the paper i was using, but i WILL keep it in mind. Now I know why we ALWAYS used newsprint in figure drawing class...
    Anyways, I do need to use more drawing utencils; i've become comfortable with graphite and charcoal but that's it. Thanks again for your comments. 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one by Anthony Van Dyke. I used it for a proportion study...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start man. I like your studies, especially the last one. I'll definitely visit your sketchbook in the future.

Keep it up and thank you ver much for dropping by my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, man. Keep it up!

I'll visit more offten.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it's been forever since the last update, i know i know. I'm horrible! Hahaha, well the good news is that i've been drawing EVERYDAY since then, be it an hour or three hours I make sure it's everyday.

this sketch is a scene from my favorite movie, Saving Private Ryan...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, that last sketch is so great! My only suggestion is that you should vary your lineweight a bit more, let the eye know what is dominate by thickening your lines and darkening them up a bit. It will help punch up your sketches a bit more.. but I'm really looking forward to seeing your later work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    havent seen that movie...seems to be worth it sketch looks nice, maybe work on your line quality like majortom mentioned
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, nice sketches! SPR is also one of my favorite movies... hard to believe it lost out to Shakespeare In Love for best picture that year. >_<

Anyway, keep up the good work!

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Flanagan,

Thanks for the visit to my SB!

The above posters are spot on-- you need paper with the right amount of "tooth" to make charcoal work right.

Nicolaides is well worth study-- lotta wisdom in that book. But, my advice? Hit the "fast forward" button! Don't torture yourself with strict adherence to the schedules. And, don't put all your eggs in that one basket. Read the "How To Proceed" section in Loomis's Figure Drawing For All It's Worth and check some of the Civardi books out of the library.

You've got some good basic line drawing skills, as evidenced by the Private Ryan work, over focus on Nicolaides would just bog you down!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see an update from you. Did you get your hands on a new scanner?
    I like your latest sketch, especially the guy in the middle. And I think your sketches will look awesome if you work a bit on the lines as majortom mentioned. Keep it up!

And yes, Saving Private Ryan rocks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spaggen- Naa, dude, i just started using my mom's scanner. I'm not sure why, but all the images I upload on here come out HUUGE. It's a little irritating. Anyways, thanks for dropping by, man. I really appreciate your time. PEACE!

Kamber Park- Heeeeey, buddy! You're welcome, but i must thank you for visiting mine...thanks! Soo, I bought a pad of newsprint and some new charcoals the other day, it should have the right kind of "teeth"
    Btw, you're right about the Nicholaides' book. I've a really bad habit of getting a book and clinging to it's every word. I plan on reading it, but i'm not going to stick to the schedule. It starts to make art feel like chores...or going to the gym. Lol, alright thanks again for stopping by and giving me some thoughtful words. PEACE!

Scribble King - *high fives* THANK YOU!! I can't believe it lost to that movie...man, so disappointing. Well, thanks for stopping by, man. And of course, i shall draw EVERYDAY. PEACE!

Jathertip- Hey man, what's up? Oh dude, you should definately see that movie, it's great! I'm really interested in WWII, very..."classy". I don't know how else to describe it, but thanks for your time and words. Keep up the drawing, man! PEACE!

Majortom- 4,3,2,1! Eaarth beeloow us, liifting, faallling...hahahaha, if you haven't heard that song and you're just looking at this message with raised eyebrows and confusion, forgive me. Hmmm, more weight, eh? Well, I will make a note of this in today's sketches and post them up as soon as possible. Thanks for you advice! I've some more movie sketches that i'll post up soon enough. Again, thank you. PEACE!

Hmmm, so work on line quality? I know i know, i put thousands of lines down just to "feel" the form. SO, to help with this i bought some nibs and ink. I started using them yesterday- it's nice! So refreshing to break away from the pencil. I'll post those later on, but here's what i've been doing the past couple weeks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like you have some untapped potential. The 3 men around the table is great. Tells you whats going on with very simple means. Keep it man!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya know, looking at your sketches reminds me of the guy making cotton candy at the carnival, but oddly enough, I can see all the beautiful suggestions of forms under all of those lines.

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again...

Krel- Thanks for your comments. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by untapped potential but i'm ditching my drawing books for good. Of course i'll keep my anatomy books, but no more "how to draw" whatever. I'm starting to draw much more from my imagination in order to tap into this untapped potential. I erase and erase until it looks right, not just draw and accept the results. It's much more fun now and i'm required to really think. I'm going back to scratch. Again, thanks for your time. PEACE.

Scribble King- Lol, the cotton-candy-guy remark made me laugh. I'm not sure what you mean, but it sounded funny. Perhaps it's your reaction to the many lines i lay down in order to understand the forms of whatever i'm drawing. So many people, usually people that DON"T DRAW, complain that my sketches are too...sketchy. They say it's too messy, but what can I say...those many lines are my struggles to order to get the form correct. Many of my art teachers appreciated my work, especially the line work of my drawings but they never said why. I should have known you would appreciate my sketches (hence your name lol)...Allllright, man, thanks a bunch for your time and comments. It gives me motivation. PEACE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, have you ever looked into a cotton candy machine while it was running? It's like millions of little spider webs in there just floating around. But when the guy sticks the paper cone in and moves it around a bit, what emerges is a nicely formed mass of tasty goodness.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're taking the reigns from those 'How-To" books and finding your own path to awesomeness. You obviously have the basics down, so it's time to find out how far you can take that knowledge and progress to the next level, so more power to ya', man!!!!

Oh yeah, before I go... POST MORE WORK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, I lag it with the updating, but I do draw everyday. This is but some of the sketches I've done in the past few days. The first two are from pure imagination- the zombie and the praying mantis thing. I'm proud that i used purely my imagination for them even tho there are some flaws. But i guess spotting these flaws are a sign of improvement (i used to just draw and not even attempt to "edit" my work). I did what i could with the zombie and the praying mantis is still under construction. The rest are some unfortunate beings that stood still too long. Enjoy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow....so much variety...something to ponder...something to emulate ...awesome...keep going...

suman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good update. But one thing, try to draw less lines and cleaner ones to make the drawings clearer is my suggestion. And more studies!

Keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice solid work there, man! Your figures have such personality and remind me of the way a good painter sketches. Speaking of which, do you paint at all? If you do, toss a few examples up in the 'ol sketchbook, I'm sure we would all love to see them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Flanagan, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook! Hope you're not too busy to draw during the holidays and hope they are treating you well!

You do seem to be "feeling" your way around the drawing with lots of little lines and that's good. The way you do it makes it seem like you're looking around the forms instead of just outlining things.

It might be easier to experiment with line widths using ink or markers. Maybe do some studies of real graphic, high contrast stuff.

Check out my Sketchbook and I promise I'll return the favor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try drawing longer lines, to capture the gesture, to feel the gesture.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, Flanagan.

What you want to do to get away from the stiffness of your figures is to limit yourself to a few directions for your lines. That sounds counter-intuitive, but if you use lines that run parallel (like the side of a shoulder and a leg having the same angle, for example) it strengthens your drawing and gives it power. Also it ties your figure together, and removes the stiffness.

But most of all keep drawing, because keeping your juices flowing is most important if you want to get good.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello strangers! It's been around...4 months since i've posted lol but i've been drawing all that while. I started school so that took up all my attention. So i'm back and i'm gonna try to start a habit of posting my work. Here's somethin' i sketched the other day. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that looks real cool! i like the idea and style, gives a good impression of movement/action

29. The Following User Says Thank You to equilerex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,522 Times in 3,716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing wrong with your scribbles. On the Saving Private Ryan one, it would have made it more dynamic to bring the figure on the right closer in to make a tighter composition.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Equilerex- Thanks man. My sense of movement is getting a bit better, and as for style...I'm still not sure if i have a style. Lol, thanks for your time.

Black Spot- Thanks for your time. Many people have said things about the amount of lines I put down. Eh, i just do what feels natural and it makes art more fun when I keep it that way. And the more I draw, the more accurate my hand will get, at least I think so. Thanks again.

These are some sketches i did at work. We were having a Christmas party so I got away with sketching most of the time. Tell me what ya think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those last hands are pretty sweet
    i think you need to do some quick figure studies
    filling a page with figures over the course of an hour, instead of these 1-figre-per-page things
    have you tried posemaniacs.com?
    i think kind of thing might be helpful in increasing the amount of studies you do
    hope this helps

34. The Following User Says Thank You to aks9 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.