> Shawn Barber is a highly successful Fine Artist with recent shows at the Shooting Gallery (San Francisco), Yves Laroche Gallery (Montreal), and upcoming show at the Joshua Liner Gallery (New York NY). He has been an esteemed faculty member of the Academy of Art and Ringling School of Art and Design as well as teaching drawing, painting, illustration, and the business of art all over the world at various schools during the last 8 years of his art career. Shawn's work has graced the pages of many magazines such as Rolling Stone, Maxim, GQ, Sports Illustrated. His paintings are held in private collections in the US, Europe, Canada, Asia, and Australia. Shawn is a phenomenal teacher and a talented hard working artist who is carving his own space in the world. His work is also seen in the hit television series L.A. Ink and he has spent the past four years creating a wide body of work as a historical and visual documentation of the vibrant tattoo artist/art scene.
Shawn is here to help artists better understand how to make their way in the world of Fine Art and can answer both technical and creative questions with ease. We are lucky to have him join us as he is our first choice to share information with you regarding the world of fine art. We have known Shawn a long time and have watched him work, attended his openings and art shows, and seen with our own eyes what he can do when practices his theories and puts his ideas to work in finding his success. Here are some of the topics that Shawn will be covering during his class:
- Creating Content / Personal Voice / Defining your vision
- how do you want to represent yourself as an artist?
- what do you have to say with your art? what makes your work unique?
- your art in relationship to art history and contemporary art
DEALING WITH THE PROCESS
- Finding the right representation / galleries / venues
- what galleries and why?
- understanding the process / relationship
- similarity of styles/ niche/ like minded folk
do you like the work of artists that they represent?
BRANDING / MARKETING / PROMOTION
- physical portfolio
- online presence
- community participation (physical interaction and virtual interaction)
- shipping and advertising
- creating a brand
- spending money to make money
NETWORKING / TRAVELING
- connecting to the artist community to compare notes
- on technique
- advice for dealing with specific galleries
- visiting galleries and artists around the world
- physical interaction vs. virtual interaction (and the power of physical interaction)
PRICING YOUR FINE ART
- creating a collector base
- starting out
- slowly raising the bar
- psychology of pricing / creating a market (understanding it but not being a slave to it)
THE BUSINESS SIDE
- creating a resume / c.v.
- creating an artist statement
- registering copyright
THE BOTTOM LINE
- what's important to you
- it's about the art
- critical analysis / personal and peer based
- online sites
- print publications
- art fairs
What: Business Of Fine Art
Who: Shawn Barber
When: Sat Oct 24th at 11am PACIFIC DAYLIGHT TIME (San Francisco California USA time)
Where: ConceptArt.Org streaming classes Direct store link HERE:
How much?: 95 USD