Some simple questions

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some simple questions

-Do you hold your mouse in your left hand while you work, or is the non-drawing hand free?

-How do you switch brush size without clicks? Which keyboard key is it?

-How do you do a brush resize on the Wacom 4, I can only get zoom to work on the little dial..?

-Which brushes do you use normally?

-Which is is the best sketch brush? I just use a 2B pencil that I modified a bit? Are there better choices?

-Does switching paper help a lot when working with oils / waterpaint, or is the default good enough?

-Is the brush catergory window disappearing fixed in the latest patch? Don't have any issues with PS11 otherwise, don't want to download without reason.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Do you hold your mouse in your left hand while you work, or is the non-drawing hand free?
    I've always used a Nostromo speedpad.

Control+Alt+Drag

-How do you do a brush resize on the Wacom 4, I can only get zoom to work on the little dial..?
    I don't use intuos4.

All custom.

-Which is is the best sketch brush? I just use a 2B pencil that I modified a bit? Are there better choices?
    Custom pencil that produces low aliasing.

-Does switching paper help a lot when working with oils / waterpaint, or is the default good enough?
    Yes I always use a watercolor paper texture that I scanned and made tillable, I'm actually proud of this texture, best paper texture I have, even use it in SAI as a layer/paper texture. Thanks to this texture and by using the best of Painter and SAI I fooled many people, even traditional watercolorists but I'm one too so I know what to do in order to mimic the watercolor effects, overlaying a watercolor texture also helps to seal the deal

-Is the brush catergory window disappearing fixed in the latest patch? Don't have any issues with PS11 otherwise, don't want to download without reason.
    No idea, Painter 11 was wayyyy too buggy when I installed the first trial.

Last edited by Portus; October 9th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Portus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, Ctrl+Alt works wonderfully. I'm going to see if I can bind it to my pen.

I've been thinking about the G13 from logitech, I'll check out the nostromo. We intended to buy one to game anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I'm left handed, so holding a mouse would be counter intuitive. I have my right hand on the wacom intuos buttons since I use the shortcuts.

Portus Answered this, but yes ctrl+alt or the bracket keys on my touch ring.

I change the speed of the bracket keys, make sure Painter 11 has a patch if you're working in Windows: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1241637864249

Custom, but if you want to know what method I use the most they're ones set to Cover.

I like the cover pencil personally, as well as the Real hard media ones. Got to tweak them a bit and set up brush tracking.

Depends on the look you're going for. Papers offer texture and remove some of the sameness. I have scanned my own watercolor papers as well as tweaked the one given in Painter for my needs. If you want something with no grain, you can use Raw Silk. If you also want to see good exercises with Paper texture, I suggest getting Don Seegmiller's Book - Advanced Painter Techniques

-Is the brush catergory window disappearing fixed in the latest patch? Don't have any issues with PS11 otherwise, don't want to download without reason.[/QUOTE]

Other bug fixes are (reason to d/l), if you're not patching Painter 11 no wonder you can't use the brush resizing, and you'll encounter a number of other problems. You may as well get the hotfix. There are many good reasons to get it. I usually don't have much problems with the category missing unless I import workspaces, then I just tell it to Window - Arrange Palettes - Default

I mean if you like the lousy CPU usage (which is still about but less worse after the hotfix) where you can't cut and paste, and use other ...well normal functions go ahead and stay unpatched.

To bind CTRL+Alt to your Pen I use the backswitch of the pen, the front is for Color sampling...but everyone is different.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot Arshes =). The book seems to be a good way to learn more, I'll see if I can get a copy.

Well, I tried my first painter painting....not sure if this is good or bad, just showing that I've started painting. It's scary because I never painted with a wacom tablet or painter. I really had a hard time finding a good brush that didn't look stupid and colours are quite new to me.

Name:  Untitled-6.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  26.1 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.