Barack Obama awarded the Nobel Peace Price 2009 - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blame the Nobel judges who nominated him and eventually made him won the title. He didnt sought out for it, he too was surprise

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pat, great read.
    World leaders nominate this award, they can't all be wrong!! He did not nominate himself!

From friends:

"He did manage to get North Korea and Iran to sit down and talk about denuclearizing.
    which is almost impossible!!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Mr. Appeasement himself, Neville Chamberlain, is a more apt comparison to Barack Obama, although when Chamberlain was nominated for entering the 1938 Munich agreement, a member of the committee allegedly mocked his fellow committee members by nominating Hitler (for signing the same agreement). (Neither apparently won, although if they had it could have been one of history's greatest ironies. World leaders sitting down and talking about peace is not the same as peace itself.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriciaS View Post
    Hitler never won the Nobel, so their constant comparisons of Obama to Hitler has been thrown a serious wrench. hehehe
    Actually Hitler had a peace prize nomination in 1939....

edit: lol fucking beat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    Actually Hitler had a peace prize nomination in 1939....

edit: lol fucking beat
    I'm aware of history; therefore, aware of the nomination and him not being awarded.

But, thnks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is interesting on the Peace Prize for those who said he has not worked long enough:
    "Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, the Nobel Peace Prize may be awarded to persons or organizations that are in the process of resolving an issue, rather than upon the resolution of the issue. In this way, the Nobel Peace Prize differs from all the other Nobel prizes."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yea i am pretty pleased with obama, he's been doing a pretty good job and all that jazz but going back to rationality land, the guy hasn't even been in office a year. I mean he seems like he's going to do a good job, but a nobel peace prize already?

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit, and I thought I was a shoo in.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jovian M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But he hasn't done anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nWhe-EPv8w

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sphyzex_9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just think they were getting ahead of themselves by nominating Obama this award, either that or they could be using this as a strategy to make him true to his word?

I didn't vote for anyone in the last election because I just don't trust politicians in any way, you can say im wrong or naive but I'm not one to put much faith in another human.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries, we don't expect much from Florida voters anyway.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep hearing he hasn't done anything yet...really? Including his entire life up until the presidency...he has done absolutely nothing. I advice you to make a list of your life accomplishments and match it to his....get back to me on who has the short list.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm from California but you can see how my state has been doing ever since they thought it would be awesome to have the governator. nice try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rats I wanted to make a hanging chad joke

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I've read, the Peace Prize is sometimes given out to leaders who are working in the right direction, and often at a critical moment to help nudge them to follow through.

While I agree he hasn't accomplished much of what he has set out to do yet, the truth is he has been working on a LOT of issues across the board, and his stance of trying to bring people together to talk and resolve issues certainly sets the right tone for peace. If the Nobel Peace Prize really is less about accomplishments, and more about efforts and the possibility to affect outcomes, then I think Obama was a perfectly valid choice.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama
    Works for me

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jasonwclark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait, what? They're giving the peace prize to someone who is currently waging war?

My sketchbook is bigger than yours.
    (not really)

Cool people you might want to check out:

Dy.laneA

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Crass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if this isnt proof of the political shell game i dont know what is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For anyone interested in Rob Leifield's reaction.

link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    Wait, what? They're giving the peace prize to someone who is currently waging war?
    Gotta agree with you..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, kind of sucks he hasn't fixed one nation's problems that have been caused by decades of poor decisions. I guess that's why he isn't getting 'The guy who fixed our nation prize', he's getting the noble peace prize.

For, i dunno, trying to bring peace to the the entire world's nations.

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What did he do to deserve it? The Peace Price have turned into a fucking gimmick lately... except for when Athisari got it, that guy deserved it.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crass View Post
    Pretty sure he didn't instigate that one..

Kinda, ongoing, inherited problem.

I was indeed a bit "wtf" at this though. Not seeing a lot of world peace and harmony..

Edit: seems like a nice guy though, glad the worlds scariest superpower elected someone who isn't a fucking idiot. Go you.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    celebrating with wine tonight combat all of these wine's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obama is not the cause of any war. Afghanistan is a complicated situation. Same with Iraq, which is why its impossible to just say "Ok everybody, pack it up lets go" and then leave the mess you created, behind for other people to clean up. Its absolutely irresponsible. At the same time, people like to assume that the president has an absolute control over everything that happens, power is dispersed throughout the government, so that one man isn't making ALL the decisions, because if that man's stupid things go wrong. But it works in reverse too, if the people making other decisions are stupid he can't always do something about it. As said, Peace Prize is for an effort to resolve an issue. Obama is attempting to resolve issues, and its true that he hasn't made any BIG BIG strides but he is succeeding in changing peoples minds. I'm sure you've all heard about Approval ratings around the world going up when he gave his big speech on a softer approach to diplomacy in the middle east. Which is what is needed. Sometimes words are better than guns. And its refreshing to get that from a country that's obsessed with exercising its 'power' to police the world.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThabisoMhlaba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course it's not a simple matter, and he might not have started anything himself, but the fact remains that he is actively involved in a war effort in two countries. It just doesn't click with me to give this person the peace prize right now.

Even if you do think he deserves the prize, it's almost like an insult to give it to him this soon. He hasn't even had time to prove himself yet, it's like he gets it because of who he is (or who he's not, as someone else put it) rather than for what he's done. At the very least it was premature.

My sketchbook is bigger than yours.
    (not really)

Cool people you might want to check out:

Dy.laneA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've also read that Motor Trend Magazine has named Barrack Obama as the Car of the year for 2010.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like Obama was as confused as anyone else, and although the administration would be dumb to downplay the publicity (and everything that goes with it), he DID make a point that could be translated as "I'm not sure why I got this, but hey...".

I like the guy, and hope to see good things from him, but next time, let's wait till AFTER those things have been done. Obama didn't make the world not hate us. Bush leaving did. Kind of different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This guy hasn't done anything but write 2 memoirs of the first 5 minutes of his life.

The Nobel Peace Prize should be going to people like Irena Sendler, who had organized the rescue of 2,500 Jewish babies and children from the Nazi-controlled Warsaw ghetto in 1942 and 1943.

(You can read more about it here and follow the link at the bottom for more about her story. http://citizenwells.wordpress.com/20...a-real-winner/)

But it isnt going to people like her.
    See Irena got passed up for the Prize because they felt that Al Gore was more deserving.

Oh, and of course Bush wasn't at all deserving either. No, he just gave more money and aid to Africa for relief and AIDS than all other previous US presidents combined.
    http://video1.washingtontimes.com/fi...in_rwanda.html

Nope, it definately should NOT go to him or people like:

•Chinese Human Rights Activist Hu Jia - imprisoned for campaigning for human rights in the PRC.
    •Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. (Not to mention the symbolic value of awarding a Chinese dissident on the 20th Anniversary of the Tianenmen Square Massacre.)
    •Greg Mortenson, founder of the Central Asia Institute has built nearly 80 schools, especially for girls, in remote areas of northern Pakistan and Afghanistan over the past 15 years.
    •Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad, a philosophy professor in Jordan who risks his life by advocating interfaith dialogue between Jews and Muslims.
    •Afghan human rights activist Sima Samar. She currently leads the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission and serves as the U.N. special envoy to Darfur.

Nope, none of them are as worthy as Barack Obama.

So it sounds about right to me: Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, Yassir Arafat; all of them are shallow, narccissistic failures.

Obama fits right in.

Last edited by Cryptcrawler; October 10th, 2009 at 04:45 AM.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cryptcrawler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love O'bama (go Irish) but he has done nothing to deserve this award.
    Aside from big O's ambitions, the only peice talks he's had was the beer summit. Give him more time and he might earn it.
    At least Billy Bob Clinton got those journalists back from Korea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.