Sci-Fi Soldier - Long time lurker first time poster need help!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sci-Fi Soldier - Long time lurker first time poster need help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sci-Fi Soldier - Long time lurker first time poster need help!

Long time lurker, first time poster here It's always an intimidate thrill to see so many good art as I drop in for a few pics for my daily favourite folder. English is not my first language so I decided to just watch the forum instead.

Well, now I got a worthy cause of posting. I am working on this sci-fi soldier piece for fun and I got 2 questions.

- I regretted not referencing the anatomy properly and feel like the proportion of some part was wrong. I spent quite a few hours fixing this (extending the arm and back/enlarge the legs etc) yet it's still not looking right... and I can't put my finger on it. Any help is appreciated!

- I am having trouble with photoshop brush in regard to texturing. I am used to the standard brush set and always make a smooth, digital-looking painting. I really want to get away from this. Could anyone here point me in the right direction?

Any other critique are most welcome and appreciated

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, let me start off by saying that this is pretty good. It reminds me of the Mass Effect cover.
    My advice would be to try and get a figure overlay. This is pretty nonstandard pose, so taking a pic of someone in the same position would be a nice way to compare.

As for the brush issue, I started off in the same place. Im still not very good. I recommend searching the web for some free brush sites, and buying some of the amazing videos that Massive Black hosts on this site. Some of those have brushes with them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips. I'll certainly check out Massive Black video.

Brush head is one thing, the application for it is another, I think. Right now whenever I applied the brush, I treated it as texture and having to do elaborate masking afterward. I wish there's a tutorial that teach you to set the setting so that you can just 'draw'... I'll keep looking though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the abdominal section is a little too tightly rounded off, which affects the anatomy and comprehension of that area. If it's cloth-ish, it should fall down and round out near the bottom. If it's chain mail or some other metal composite, it should at least reflect the abdominal muscles there.
    Underneath the armor, too, his arm would turn out very, very skinny. I think you should thicken that area.

The yellow lights on his belt should be casting light on the large rifle, too, and things should be casting more shadows and lights on other things overall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

quick paint over

just a quick paintover because what I see is his glutes are off and I concur that his waist is small
    Name:  PO.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  43.6 KB

hope you don't mind the paint over but its easier to see than say.....

also I made the right hand larger remember hands and faces are the same size

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For brushes...it's really all about experimenting, figuring out what works best for you. There are indeed many brushsets to be found online and on DVDs, but I like to come up with my own brushes whenever possible. It gives more of an individual fingerprint to one's work - brush choices aren't as important as understanding the way light or form and composition work, but they do make a difference in the feel of a piece. So experiment a LOT with the brush engine. Paint and capture some tips, mess with the settings, test the heck out of the resulting brushes, figure out what you like. If you come up with something cool that you have no immediate use for, keep it for later. You never know.

When I first started making brushes, I mostly tried to give the tips an interesting texture in the middle that faded to white at the edges. I think that's a poor choice now. Give your brush tips really interesting (and usually very hard) edges. Details in the middle of the tip will often be covered up anyway. Then just mess with ALL the settings. Get to know all of 'em inside-out, so if you want to achieve a certain effect, you know exactly what setting to change.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.