Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Come on Lunar Ice!

Last edited by Jasonwclark; October 9th, 2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: recalls what day it is :)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm pretty excited about this, but watching NASA trend on twitter is pretty painful what with all the misconceptions about what's going down.

Thanks
    They shouldn't mess with the moon and with nature like this.
    We've done enough damage to earth, so can we just please........

LEAVE THE MOON ALONE???!!!!

The solar system and outer space is a beautiful, silent, tranquil place.
    Leave it be, please.

I hope NASA goes the way of the Lehman Bros.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Its just explosives. Explosives are very useful in mining the raw materials for our computers, tablets, bikes and tea kettles, why would it be any different on the moon? I mean, even our cars are run by explosions. I'm exited that they are doing research that might help establish a base on the moon.

The solar system and outer space is a far more harsh, violent and extreme than anything that happens on earth, thanks to our protective atmosphere. It just looks tranquil from down here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    They shouldn't mess with the moon and with
    LEAVE THE MOON ALONE???!!!!

So any reason for saying this, other than the moon is pretty?

8. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    They spoiled it now. I mean look at it, what a mess. A big hole in it and loads of dust over the place. What a shame.

10. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    They spoiled it now. I mean look at it, what a mess. A big hole in it and loads of dust over the place. What a shame.

ROFL!

Thanks
    LOL you guys!

Thanks
    haha, chill out xeon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Wish I'd had a telescope so I could see the blast... And that it was dark outside. Oh well...

Still would be cool if they found water
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianShane View Post
    I'm pretty excited about this, but watching NASA trend on twitter is pretty painful what with all the misconceptions about what's going down.
    yes, and very sad for what it says about the average man's understanding of science, and scale.

Thanks
    Well, it seems like the initial reports are not terribly encouraging for water ice. Is it possible I could have jinxed the Moon at the last minute?
    Had big hopes for an observatory on the darkside, alas.

Looks like its probably 'Mars are bust' for the space man now

Thanks
    I think this is relevant:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Although I keep thinking about that time machine movie when he travels into the future and people bombed the moon for tests and the moon broke in half and gravity and stuff went crazy on earth. That would be fun
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Xeon your an idiot |:... there i said it. Impacts occur naturally on the moon many times a year larger than what lcross caused .

now go watch something intelegent. http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/bu..._of_space.html

Also how many of you guys know about the google lunar xprize? One team it planing on making a device to make a huge sign on the moon for lots of money and i don't have a single problem with that if it gives reason for commercial space development. watching stuff like this happen is so awesome . Commercial space flight here we come!

http://space.xprize.org/lunar-lander-challenge
    http://www.googlelunarxprize.org/lun...nar-lander-cha

Also why does the obama threads always get more attention than space .... space is better...
    Last edited by Muz; October 10th, 2009 at 07:36 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Muz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Xeon your an idiot |:... there i said it. Impacts occur naturally on the moon many times a year larger than what lcross caused .
    Yeah, but those are natural occurrences. This NASA thing is man-made, artificial.

How do I put it across.....ugh! I just feel it's not right to do this.
    We've done enough harm to Nature so leave it alone as much as possible.

What is NASA's real aim for doing this?
    To establish a base for the USA to hold a monopoly and launch missiles from there in times of war?

I don't care about raw materials or new findings on the moon.
    If NASA is trying to find new lands for mankind to widen his territory because of how resources on earth are getting depleted day by day, then I rather they don't.

We only have ourselves to blame, and I don't mind if the earth gets destroyed 20 years from now. Even our once-tranquil Antarctica and the North Pole are gradually filling with more and more commercial activities, a fact that disgusts me.

Please, NASA, PLEASE disband yourselves and stop wasting US$600 billion every year for such crap. Donate that money to the people of Niger and Ethopia, and use it to give back to Nature. Build more trees, spam them everywhere. Protect dolphins, rhinos and tigers, get rid of those whalers and poachers.

Leave Nature alone!!!! Leave the moon alone!! Don't touch it!!! Why are you doing this, NASA??!! Do you have vengeance with Nature?

PS: Don't get offended, all.....this is just my personal opinion and beliefs which I hold close to my heart. Saw my mom killing and cooking a crab for dinner today makes me wanna cry.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    We only have ourselves to blame, and I don't mind if the earth gets destroyed 20 years from now.
    What a moral view you have.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    What a moral view you have.
    This isn't a question of morality.....it's a question of looking at things objectively. Just think of what we've done to Nature and you'll come to understand my views.

Thanks

I don't care about raw materials or new findings on the moon.
    If NASA is trying to find new lands for mankind to widen his territory because of how resources on earth are getting depleted day by day, then I rather they don't.
    Wow. We do. You'd rather humankind perish? That's fine, you go jump off a cliff; meanwhile we'll be colonizing space and other super awesome things.

You do know that this is nothing compared to what hits the moon every year, some many orders of magnitude larger than this? The projectile is the size of an SUV. Tiny. Insignificant.

I want to live on the moon damnit and if we have to toss a pebble at it then so fucking be it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    This isn't a question of morality.....it's a question of looking at things objectively.
    So objectively, it doesn't matter if the earth is destroyed in 20 years, but heaven help us if there's another hole on the moon? Here let me put it into terms your brain can properly compute;

Think of all the poor cute crabs that will be killed. Forget about all of us self-aware, emotion-filled apes that are the only ones to truly understand our surroundings, our consciousness is a mere insignificance compared to those cute little arthropod eyes....

Thanks
    How do I put it across.....ugh! I just feel it's not right to do this.
    We've done enough harm to Nature so leave it alone as much as possible.

Leave Nature alone!!!! Leave the moon alone!! Don't touch it!!! Why are you doing this, NASA??!! Do you have vengeance with Nature?
    Leave nature alone? And where do you think the electricity to your monitor is coming from?
    You might want to consider that Singapore produces its electricity from fossil fuels only.

Think about that the next time you flip a switch. Or open the tap. Or buy anything at all.
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Vatsel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vatsel View Post
    Leave nature alone? And where do you think the electricity to your monitor is coming from?
    You might want to consider that Singapore produces its electricity from fossil fuels only.

Think about that the next time you flip a switch. Or open the tap. Or buy anything at all.

Word. Sounds like she is a typical anti-american liberal with no concept of reality and how things really are. I wonder what it'd be like to live in a bubble like that..

Before anyone jumps on me, the reason i say anti-american liberal is her comment about how this is possibly a precursor to the US installing missile silos on the moon in order to dominate the Earth. It's a bit ridiculous.

Thanks
    This isn't a question of morality.....it's a question of looking at things objectively. Just think of what we've done to Nature and you'll come to understand my views.
    "What we've done to Nature"? I think it is you that is not assessing things objectively. You talk as if we have transcended nature and have the power to destroy her, but such a thought is the height of arrogance.

Certainly we can affect nature, but the extent of our power over nature is minimal compared to the enormous feats that nature alone manages every day. We can lay claim to sending some species to the grave, but that is a mere speck compared to the number of species nature had deemed unworthy. We can deforest an area, but nature itself simply adapts while only we suffer.

We could, in our infinite capacity for folly, extinguish all of the oxygen from the atmosphere and you know what? Nature will carry on, the tides will still move, and anaerobic life will continue to not give a shit. We will of course die and prove our inferiority to nature.

This planet started as a hostile vicious lifeless planet of rock and heat. Nature has created from that the world we see today. I hardly think that our most destructive efforts even compare to what nature has already overcome.

Furthermore we only alter nature to the extent that the gifts she brings us will allow. Could we cut down her forests without the tools we forge from the ores we take from her depths? Could we have ever even come to access that ore without the caverns that she had carved with the winds and the tides? How could one possibly talk as if we are above nature when we can do nothing without her?

You talk as if you consider nature our ward, but it is quite the other way around. Nature has no need to fear us, but we have every reason to fear her. Were nature sentient she would scoff at the notion that we could truly injure her.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anyhow, this thread is getting off topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonwclark View Post
    Well, it seems like the initial reports are not terribly encouraging for water ice. Is it possible I could have jinxed the Moon at the last minute?
    Had big hopes for an observatory on the darkside, alas.

Looks like its probably 'Mars are bust' for the space man now
    Well phooey. Water on the Moon would've been awful neat, since it's our nearest neighbor and all. Oh well, still hoping for a lucky discovery.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Objectively there is no dichotomy of man-made vs natural, that is your subjective opinion. Man is part of nature, and man-made technology is part of humankind's natural evolution. Any scenario other than how the earth currently exists, with it's current inhabitants and how they function (humans included), would be unnatural.

Why don't you go tell the beavers to stop building dams, and tell monkeys to stop using rocks as tools to smash nuts. That technology stuff is evil!
    Last edited by Derek the Usurper; October 12th, 2009 at 07:29 AM.
    Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    I think I am gonna have crab for dinner tonight, though. That sounds awesome!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha i love how narrow minded anti space people are.

"why cant we use the money from space travel to help other countries?"

Id first look at the much larger budgets of the millitaries and ask the same thing first |:.

The usa spends more on its military budget than EVERY OTHER COUNTRY COMBINED!
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/spending.htm

Space travel is one of those things that actually draws countries together in support.

For example the google lunar x prize has teams from all across Europe, Asia, America and hell even a team from Jamaica. It is not about warmongering you great twat.
    Last edited by Muz; October 10th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Xeon, I'm sorry, but I think you need to do a little research. :/

1) Exo-planet research is the quickest way we're going to understand our *own* planet better, and learn how to better take care of it. They hope to shed light on earth's own origins and the solar system's by this experiment, I don't see how this could be bad to nature, especially since the impact made literally no change to the moon itself.

2) I have NO idea where the NASA Missile conspiracy of yours comes from. I'm not even going to touch that. Considering that Japan has much more near-future goals for a moon base than America does, perhaps you should be yelling at them...? (They also just crashed a probe into the moon, too!)

3) I don't know why you're yelling at NASA for being anti-nature, considering everything you listed as 'nature' is qualified as 'life' and is one of the PRIME reasons for these missions - to find evidence of life! Water is the key to life here on earth so finding it *anywhere* else is a huuuuge step in the right direction. If we actually found alien organisms off planet it will only *help* us understand the life on our own planet and thus learn to better protect them.

4) Probes are a much more nature-friendly (though i really wouldn't qualify the moon as 'nature', at least not the way you mean it) way of exploring the universe than manned missions are, since they require less fuel, less money, less everything and we still get lots of data.

I can understand the 'just leave it, humans, you've fucked everything else up' point of view, I can, but I think you are reeeeally over reacting to a very harmless experiment. If they were doing something, like, trying to give mars an atmosphere, I would understand the argument much better. As it is, we ain't changing anything, we aren't harvesting anything - all we are doing is collecting data and information about our universe.

If you are against gaining the knowledge in general, then I can't help you.

41. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I definitely get the logic of what they're trying to do, but it still seems a lot like a Mr. Show sketch.

Thanks
    I think even if the earth was barrenised by a nuclear war it would still bea more hospitable environment than the moon.

And personally I think it's a wate of money and resources to spend billions to find water on the moon, when I can turn on my tap and hey I've got water! Earth is our home, no where else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast