Sketchbook: Looking for advice crits and maybe some friends?!?!! - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice crits and maybe some friends?!?!!

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,
    How you doing?
    I looked through some of your stuff and I noticed the nose in your last post. Before you get down to shading etc first try constructing the nose out of different forms. The example shows a very basic construction, later on you can change it up to make more out-there noses. Hope I could help.
    Hope you don't mind the upload.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling Always nice to see you in here Marian and thanks for checking up on me! And yep i cant wait for the class either lets hope it helps me in some way.
    iven Thanks alot Iven its nice to get some encouragement!
    avocado Thank you my friend!
    lennon Lennon thanks for taking the time with the advice all that you said is something that i realise i need to do and also something that i have decided to do as much as my time permits so expect more portrait and figure studies in the near future!
    Turbosnail Thanks for the kind words my man and its good to be back with a purpose
    Enydimon Thanks man gonna be a while til im up at your level but i will carry on!
    Luckers Nice to see you in here Luckers and i am hoping my portraits will be worthy in a coupla months just gotta learn a new medium first though
    [ste] Thanks for looking!
    miycko Why thank you Miycko will endeavour to be better always!
    Janos I am good thanks Janos with the nose i was working from my own hooter in the mirror and i agree with you that construction lines are something i really need to lay down first i do tend to just start shading the upload was very helpful thanks and i dont mind at all!

Ok on with the sideshow recently got myself an easel as i decided i wanted to start working standing up to give my arms more movement and also to try my hand at using charcoal to give me more tonal range. I attempted a portrait of a victorian lady i found on the net and was not happy with the results at all charcoal is a strange and messy beast in my hands at the moment but its a first attempt and i am on a serious learning curve with it. I love the way it blends but i hate the way some of the charcoal i used does not erase so i guess i need to start asking some nice people on here the best brands to use etc. Anyhoo heres a coupla photos of the piccy any charcoal masters out there advice would be greatly recieved.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi nice to see all those updates. Post #81 as some really nice stuffs.

About your latest portrait I can't help from a technical point of view (I never use charcoal and tend to draw really small). But anatomically speaking i would say the the cheek on the right is going too much inside the head and we do not understand what is happening on the tip of the nose (I guess because of shading). Appart from that it is a nice portrait you are showing a good understanding of the planes of head.

Last edited by DiR3Kt; January 29th, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
    ] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up those anatomy studies ... and remember to always think form! break it all down into simple 3D forms! really great to see people improve so keep up the great work!

- BLOG - ------------------ - Sketchbook - ------------------ - deviantART -
    "It's nothing really, all in a days work for us bicycle repair men"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Glenn this last post looks really good especially as you are also trying out charcoal for the first time. I'm sure with practice, and a little help from our more skilled CA.org friends, you will master it. They say charcoal is a good fore runner to painting due to the large range of tone and expressive marks it makes. Love the look of the new easel. Perhaps you can post me a photo of it. Keep going you're doing really well.

kojot is offline Please!! simple english ^^ Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    make more studies of human face
    try too simplify head to the box in perspective like loomis in his book

keep it up
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, latigid, man, thanX for visit my SB from time to time! I want to say that I will not ignore your crit, so thanks for thoughts...
    So I see you doing well here - anatomy studies, portraits, keep it on, man, that practice is not a wasting of time - it's your (our) experience! And when you get new Level, then you need use experience points right... (if you know what I mean)

Good luck and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha so... If you make it to seattle ill either make some fresh ravioli from scratch OR purchase some high class fresh ravioli. Regardless it will be very gourmet and tasty. Definitely some homemade sauce... Let me know if you plan on making the journey sometime

that recent portrait looks good. though i agree with previous comments about construction lines. you should really see the whole drawing before you do any rendering (i usually rush through this initial stage but it is the most important) if you have misplaced something (or haven't placed it yet) and go straight into rendering it will almost always look out of place.

keep posting. ill return to see your progress!

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    Hey there,
    How you doing?
    I looked through some of your stuff and I noticed the nose in your last post. Before you get down to shading etc. first try constructing the nose out of different forms. The example shows a very basic construction, later on you can change it up to make more out-there noses. Hope I could help.
    Hope you don't mind the upload.
    This where I was going to jump in. The value of Bridgman studies is absorbing his understanding of the planes & construction. He breaks it down for you. The beauty of any body part, including the feet, is describing that structure with whatever medium you use. Basically it's blocked planar shapes you're looking at for the entire body. This structure is number one in getting a realistic head to work. Copy Bridgman then try to apply this same structure to pic of a head. Back and forth. It is a groundwork that you cannot skip, but once done, you don't have to go back to it again.

As far as charcoal - I use charcoal pencils sharpened to a long point with a razor. The side is for smooth brushing of value, the point is for detail. On smooth newsprint, my favorite non-textured paper, I don't use stumps. For textured paper I'm learning to use a brush, chamois & stump. I haven't posted any of these, but there are many artist that use these tool for finished pieces. So, for newsprint, I get the mass of tone in a shadow with the side of the pencil. And my studies consist in large part of photo refs. I practice simple figure design & gesture quick-sketch. Other times construction block-outs of the entire figure to the hilt. When I go to draw from a live model, these practice sessions go with me, because I will still see the live model as a flat graphic shape that I will then de-construct so as to create a more dimensional drawing. It's a process. I scour the internet for photos. Photog sites that specialize in figure work, Google a body part in images, there are some pay sites that have turn-around photos of nudes. And Amazon has a couple of books with photos of nudes for drawing. Where there is a will there is a way. Keep on exploring and establishing that process.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DiR3Kt Thanx for the kind words i was actually going to mention about losing the nose when i posted it but forgot i was fighting with the charcoal and we fell out around the nose area!
    shambok Thanx for the visit and the advice!
    Marian Rowling I have heard that about charcoal being the run up to painting but i am a long way off picking up a paint brush! Have to say i love my little easel too especially for the price i paid! Life is a lot different stood up!
    kojot Thanx for the advice!
    NewmanD And thank you for reciprocating and visiting in here! Ill be checking back on you again soon coz i like your stuff!
    avocado Hey man that ravioli is sounding REAL good lol if i ever make it over your part of the world i am going to take you up on that offer! Everything you said there about the construction is what i am trying to concentrate on from now on by jove you will even see some of those elusive lines very shortly. Thanx for the re-visit!
    AztcFireFlower Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! What you said about Bridgman makes alot of sense the way you have explained it! I have tons of ref pics from the internet and a few books on figure drawing too so i am going to hit those and if you dont mind i may even grab some of your stuff to copy??(hope thats ok)Again thanx for the advice!

Ok not alot to show here because i know that my draughtsmanship needs to be seriously honed i have been doing a study of a Russian academic drawing (afraid i cant credit the artist) i have really slowed down to study the line lengths and angles that i should be laying down. So far this has taken me over 3 hours to get to this stage! But you can see how i have been constructing this by first using an envelope around the whole figure then moving in getting more and more detailed. I think a big thing i am learning from this is patience!
    And just for Marian a pic of my new easel setup in my cramped working area and one of it folded down neatly and ready for bed!

Last edited by latigid; February 1st, 2010 at 05:26 AM. Reason: two pics missing

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all art and science.
    (Albert Einstein)

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Niice work there man, I love the contour drawing, and the way you show interest in the inner construction of the body

Keep at it!

-E

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Niice work there man, I love the contour drawing, and the way you show interest in the inner construction of the body

Keep at it!

-E

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mischeviouslittleelf I am humbled by your visit! I have flicked through your SB before and you produce some seriously good stuff afraid i never left a comment because i kinda didnt feel worthy in fact i do that with all the really top notch people on here! (i think i am slightly weird) Thanx for the words!

Update on the russian academic done another hour on him removed the construction lines and started to round of the forms. Sorry about the crappy quality pic had to bump up the levels in photoshop too its still rather faint at the mo!

(Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Latigid
    Been awhile since I stopped by your SB.
    Thats I kick ass easel you got there. I bet
    its a great feeling drawing on it.

That study is looking pretty good. It helps
    to go slow and understand the proportions
    and all the angles. Phew, one of these days
    I may start doing bargue drawings. Yeah, and
    those will hone your perceptions to the ultimate.
    I can't wait for when i start some of those.

Looking forward to your progress. Keep at it
    even if the going gets tough. It WILL pay off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus I want that easel! Now if id only have somewhere to put such an easel..

Anyway, keep up the work duder. Your doing goooood!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates Glenn. Love that easel!! Where did you get it from?
    You've made a really good start to the Russian academic study and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. Keep pushing yourself my brother from the Shire of Bucks!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    danlucas Good to see you again Dan! Thanx for the words. And i can definitely say that slowing down has helped me so far it gets a bit tedious sometimes when i just cant seem to see the right angle etc erase and try again erase and try again lol but as i said in an earlier post learning some patience if nothing else!
    krel Hey Krel how are ya? The easel will actually sit flat on a table too so no worries with space , comes right up vertical and i have to say i love using it(makes me feel like a pro lol)
    Turbosnail Ah my bredren from bucks how are ya? Thanx for the kindness dude its always nice to get some encouragement!
    Regarding the easel its from amazon believe it or not delivered to the door for just over £50 with post and pack! They have plenty of others too ranging from £10 to over £200 i liked this one because i can sit it on a desk and it packs up neatly as i have limited space to leave it up

Ok finished the contour on the russian dude all in all 5 hours and there are still some discrepancies but overall im pretty happy i know being a contour it should not have the ear and heel etc but i needed to whack them in for my own sanity!! I am going to do a few of these just as contours to try and hone my draughting skills then i am going to go back to them all and render them. Seems like a logical way to go about things?! (I hope)

Oh and second photo is my secret i set the elves going at night to finish off the work!!! You can see my next russian academic drawing lined up if ya look past the mad crazy elf curls!!!!

(Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great improvement and progress
    looking forward to seeing more
    have a good one
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted a comment, and it didn't show up, fun times.
    Anyway, I pretty much said great progress, and well done for taking a lot of time to get things correct. Remember to try a few different processes to see what you prefer/works best.
    I would advise that instead of rendering over these lines, to redo the lines, so you can see your progress.
    Thanks for the comment on my SB, and keep up the good work.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, you are progressing it is noticeable, just more practice is all it takes. I would recommend sitting when you draw on the easel it is much easier that way and that's the way we drew and painted when we studies the academic way.
    hope to see more
    P.s. your boy is awesome!

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely seeing progress here! The academic copies are a great amount of work, but it really makes you appreciate the minute details and changes in a given piece I hope you'll update us as you progress on the pieces!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmertA Thanx for the kind words!
    FraserMcT Cheers for the advice are you saying to redo the whole thing before going in to render?
    Danny_K Hey Danny how are ya? Had to laugh at your comment because i am already sitting down my bloody feet were doing my head in. And thanx for the kind words about my little drawing elf
    zhonked Thanx for the kindness and its only since i started to slow down that i am appreciating all the slight changes and minute detail there is to see!

Ok gotta post this one as is coz i have run outta time afraid i wont be back for a few days because I AM GETTING MARRIED on friday so obviously got quite alot on!
    Another Russian academic same technique as before so far taken me 3hrs so less than last time!
    See ya all soon!

(Albert Einstein)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy's looking great, latigid! Keep going, you're improving. Maybe you could do more of some finished (composed and shaded) piece? Just a thought

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Glenn, Well done on these last posts I can really see a big improvement. It's great that you get the whole slowing down and looking. The more you do it the more you will see and the quicker you will get. Thanks for posting the easel photo. I do now have easel envy and I wish I had a cute little helper as well

Good luck and Congrats for Friday. Hope you all have a great day and if you get a chance please PM me a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great man, your form is showing well. It does teach patience.
    I'm learning patience while I draw. Will be uploading more stuff soon.
    New SP up too.

Robert Crum :: just google him. He was a comic artist back in the 60's and
    was made famous by one comic drawing he did and coming up
    with the line "Keep on Trucking". There's a good documentary of him at
    blockbuster, I would recommend it, its very interesting as well as a little
    crazy too. I think all artists have some type of unique perspective on life, a
    little different than the average person, but then that can be true for anyone
    who invests much of their time at a talent. Check it out man.

P.S. Is that you drawing at your easel? Maybe you should have got one so
    you could reach the drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Glenn!! Tying the knot on Friday eh. Good luck to you my brother. Hope you and the Mrs Latigid-to-be have a wonderful day and we'll (the CA collective) allow you one day off sketching (just 1 day mind you!!). All the best for tomorrow mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for coming to my sketchbook... Congratulation on ur wedding !!

I see you took an interest in russian drawing too. I am like a total fan boy of their drawing. Their drawing i feel is the kind now and I hope to draw like them someday. Since you just started on ur drawing, I feel the first critical skill to learn and concentrate on is perception and observation. In other words, measuring, placement. That is the basis of drawing too. I have to refute one of the point made in a earlier post regarding brague. I believe the main aim of brague is not to teach u how to draw the human figure. It is to let you have a method to learn observation. The extremely strict and tedious measuring requirement during brague drawing really hone your observation skill. One important point to note is during your drawing, always measure with your eye first. Then measure and correct it. If you dont do that, your observation skill will never improve.

if you want to start out to learn the human figure, i feel vilppu is a very good resource. Get his manual and video and draw from them. As with any copying, do not just copy. Analyze and understand. Vilppu material however does not go super deep (but it is a huge amount of info already). If you want to learn the human anatomy even furthur, go for the russian drawings, or simply get a skeleton and copy from a real one. Thats the best way to learn anatomy.

The above is my own opinion only but I hope it can give u some idea for your learning process.

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, mate, how much did you pay for that easel? I seriosuly need one, haha.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Enydimon is offline Drunken Bridgman lead me to victory! Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa! Gotta echo everyone who is saying you're making a big leap.

Don't ever stop, man.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.