Sketchbook: A thread with artwork and words (Nov. 25th MASSIVE ART DUMPING) - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: A thread with artwork and words (Nov. 25th MASSIVE ART DUMPING)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. You have some great color pieces.
    Just keep up

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blimey Adam you are busy! I really like the top one and I think you did right to leave it as it was. The proportions feel off to me in the last one of the male model. Feels too wide and short. Probably just me though, as I do struggle with proportion myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everyone.

Marian - I kept seeing that after every break, and re-measured it a dozen times but it came out proportionally accurate. He was a short guy, but it still doesn't look right.

4.5 hour study and my friend posing for the Palette yesterday.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Adam Nowak; January 17th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought it might be something like that Adam. I have come across a similar problem with drawing and in the end I decided to just go with what looked right despite the measuring. I found it difficult though because I've been training myself to measure but I guess sometimes you have to just trust your eyes. Really like the top one on this last post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Marian.

This semester I'm getting busier and won't have enough time to drop in on the full Wednesday portrait session like I have in the past, I'll only have an hour so I plan to make use of that time to get some quick raw studies down. Here's my first one. It's around 8 x 10. Future ones I may go a little smaller as I'm not used to covering so much surface and getting enough information down that fast. The second in a study from the P+C. I decided to extend his neck a little more to push his gesture.

Last edited by Adam Nowak; January 22nd, 2011 at 03:57 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Nowak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow bro, really great strokes! your a huge inspiration o_o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryanoir - Thanks man!

Started my first drawing class since last year, haven't picked up charcoal for probably half a year, it's such a good feeling getting back into it, I've been rusty. 1st charcoal I focused on playing with the edges. I should have toned my paper so I didn't have to take so long just to tediously fill the background, so I made sure to do it on the next one. Third charcoal was black and white. I haven't done one of those for sooo long, I really made sure to learn from past mistakes and try to keep the two separate, I didn't want to make a grey my middle tone, that was my paper. I also realized that values can be deceivingly close together in a lot of places. Incredibly small shifts going lighter or darker can help you with obtaining the form you're after.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is this I see? Could it be some serious talent? I do think so.
    Thanks for posting inspirational stuff, man!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    gorgeous oils and pastels. you really get me wanting to paint portraits...the lady with the orange shirt is one of the nicest things ive seen in a while...ace work!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really loving the portraits, especially the guy with lots of pink and green on his face, such a delicious color combination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i absolutely love you (no homo). your dedication is a tremendous inspiration for me! amazing sketchbook, by the way

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful recent updates, you are going places! really solid charcoal portrait and great colours in the oils as ever

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AMAZING work in here!
    I really dig these oilpaintings, they look so classy and confident.
    Great coulors, great shapes, .... AWSOME!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff you've got here. I enjoyed watching every piece of your sketchbook.

character-designer fedde
    Sketchbook
    DA
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is some lovely portraits! The fifth one reminds me of my old man which has a body of an old man. Hehe.

paintings for sale | artwork for sale

The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.
    - Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful potraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing images! Love your traditional tecnique!

Chicago, But if Radiohead was a place, I'd be there
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks so much for the kind words and sound advice. You were so right about what I have to work on. It really meant a lot to have someone with your skill lend a hand instead of just thinking ew and going on to the next sketchbook. Love your stuff, you latest oils make my mouth water (literally). Your colors are so sexy man. I was also gonna ask about that portrait session you attend. Is that open to the general public or no? Feel free to stop by again, thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome sketchbook man i want more!=)

My sketchbook.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203100&page=7

Awesome artist and friends

Nkristian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strangedawn - I got some more!

Woji - No problem man, it's why (most of us) we're here! I go to two different sessions. One is on Wednesdays but that's at school and only open to students. The other is on Sundays at the Palette but it's a members only session. So technically more open than the other. I also try to get people together to pose/paint each other once in a while. Like next week my friend might be able to pose for me for a few hours. I can't recommend the Palette and Chisel enough, it's been such a great place to just draw/paint. If you ever want to get together, send me a message, I might have some time once in a while. Once it starts getting a little nicer I want to start painting outside.

Gabrieldnc - Thanks!

Teundeboer - Thank you!

theartisticwonder - Hah, the way I keep myself in shape, I'll be far worse one day.

fedde - Thanks!

Elophant - Thank you for the digging!

tehmeh - Hey man, right back at you, your stuff continuously makes it in my inspirations folder.

kaspar - Thank you man!

Suncut - Pink and green is one of my favorite combos.

Velocity Kendall - Thanks!

JaneMag - Thank you so much!

HELLO EVERYONE! It's been a while, I've been incredibly busy with school to the point where I've had to resort to multiple all nighters, nosebleeds, falling asleep in class from fatigue, and numerous Dunkin Donuts coffee runs. I also haven't been able to make it to the Palette as often as I could before but I was able to squeeze in few hours over the weekend.

So even though I don't really want to, I'm going to post some complete failures. (I usually don't, just no reason to point out all the obvious mistakes) Just some paintings I'm really disappointed in, but I cry on the inside for a few minutes and move on. Gotta keep going. The real killer - over-hyping myself for an upcoming painting/drawing. I see the model, or a pose, and I think to myself (WHOA, this is the one, this painting is going to be beyond perfection, so much so that Rembrandt himself will rise and want to shake my hand).

Alright, a big exaggeration, but I do over-excite myself sometimes and as soon as I make a mistake I freak out, needlessly do everything I can to fix it and more mistakes compound until the decent start is completely marred with amateur thinking when all I had to do was step back and take 10, 30 seconds to evaluate the situation. The reason why I'm writing this is because of the recent 1 hour portrait studies I've been doing every week. They've been bombing pretty hard so I've learned I need to simplify.

There should be 21 separate images in this update. If there isn't blame the servers, it just took me half an hour to upload each piece about 3 or 4 times, it's acting up really bad.

1- Slightly awkward composition, quick 4 hour almost block in like appearance due to me using a really large canvas. (Probably around 16 x 24 or so)
    2- Another 4 hour painting. Repainted the face a dozen times before I just took a photo and wiped the entire canvas. Bought super cheap linen (bad idea, I should either save up for decent linen or might as well save even more and get good quality cotton) and the initial wash literally was dry to the touch instantly.
    3-Hour long portrait. Wasted half the time by doing a drawing first (and not an accurate one at that) then randomly throwing on paint. Failure.
    4-Next hour pose. This time I thought, why not do a monochrome study with an accurate drawing? So I tried, and I really liked the qualities of Prussian Blue, a color I only used once before. I mixed up a pile and realized it's WAY TOO INTENSE. This should be filed under Avatar conceptart.
    5-Alright, next one I did away with the drawing and used a straight color block in saving me a good twenty minutes or so. I really like to paint this way, relying on accurate shapes more than my initial contour drawing. A little more successful than previous efforts.
    6-Figure on a small panel. Was reminded that I spend too long on small studies sometimes and add features that end up looking weird on such a small scale.
    7- P+C portrait study.
    8- A bust drawing I'm working on. Using 5 value pastels on this one. Charcoal would have been much easier on this one, Pastels are a little trickier on this one. Will keep working on it until I finish it completely. I'm going very slowly, making sure to observe every stroke I put down is accurate. So far probably about 12 hours into it.
    9- 5 value pastel drawing.
    10- 5 value pastel portrait study. No drawing underneath like the rest, just straight blocking in.
    11- Limited palette painting. I like how this turned out. I need to keep this in mind from now on.
    12- Did an environment from imagination in Photoshop. It's been forever since I've touched it. (I say that everytime about Photoshop)
    13 - 17- Gesture drawings. Very difficult for me. Went for more of a line study with these.
    18- Current drawing I'm working on. This is after the first 3 hours. First time using sanguine. Very much like charcoal, but a little rougher.
    19- Study for another current painting I'm doing.
    20- Progress for above study. I've had next to no time to paint this one, tomorrow's my last day on this pose, which I really dig.
    21- P+C portrait study. Fairly new model, very beautiful. She had a cool dress on with these aquatic colors. This is the same canvas from the previous figure in the green shirt I scraped off. At this point with some leftover paint, it had dried and given this nice subtle texture to work on.

Last edited by Adam Nowak; March 8th, 2011 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a huge headache. I feel like anything I do has been going downhill for the past month. The second painting of the girl in the blue I felt like I was running up a steep hill during a mudslide.

Digital piece is a master copy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra from Solomon Joseph Solomon.

Also finished another sketchbook.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Nowak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Adam sorry to read that you feel you are struggling. I think you just keep getting better with each update. I had a little laugh at your second to last post where you said they were mainly failed paintings. I thought they looked great and I'm sure it's because you are striving for a master piece each time that you feel you are not doing well. I really like was you are doing with your brush marks and the brightness of the colour you achieve. Great also to see some of your drawings and I really like the self protraits. I hope my words might help you to push through this growth stage as I'm sure with your passion and work ethic you are just going to keep getting better and better.

Chicago, But if Radiohead was a place, I'd be there
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, chin up. Things are looking really beautiful. The yellow in the 4th picture of your last post put a huge grin on my face, so bad ass. Sketchbook is looking really nice, Love the self portrait (I assume).
    Pallet and Chisel looks killer, I'm going to make time to go. Hopefully Ill bump into you sooner rather than later.

Crits? Ignore that devil on your shoulders

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love your drawings, and those cartoony faces...priceless

My sketchbook Comments & Crits always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everyone, I've been pretty physically beaten after all nighter after all nighter. I have about a month left of the semester and after that I'm taking away one class. I wish it could work for me, but with the time spent commuting everyday just to get to school, I can't handle that much.

I've been painting for a while now in flat lighting which has it's advantages and disadvantages so I've been dealing with more direct light sources.

First is a model, 5 hours, second is a friend, 3 hours, third is a self portrait, 8 hours. (Alizarin crimson + Prussian Blue)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1- Wanted to see if I could paint something copper, about an hour.

2- 18 x 24 figure study, 7 days.

3- The most recent portrait session. Done in an hour using a neutral gray I mixed up that I wanted to lean more towards green.

4- Pastel figure, I haven't done this full palette since... almost an entire year! It was nice to go back to it and apply a more painting approach to it, it felt a lot better than drawing it out.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Nowak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Adam lovely updates. I hope you are feeling better about your art and perhaps more relaxed. I really like your self portrait you have captured such an intense stare, it is quite penetrating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling - Yeah, not as cranky. But still a few weeks of the semester to go.

So this is my first plein air painting. There's a group in Chicago called (wait for it) the Plein Air Painters of Chicago. They go out every Saturday and paint in one location for a few hours. It was a lot of fun, got a lot of quick glimpses at what I was doing and met a few artists. It took longer than it probably should have. I started at noon and finished a little past 4 and the light wasn't even close to what it was when I started. I'm down for any critiques, it would be appreciated, I don't want to catch myself making the same mistakes over and over. Will keep going back for sure.

10 x 8.25 on gesso board. My box I made a little while back finally got a workout.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam Nowak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How have so few people commented on your work@?! This is insanity, you may feel like you're not improving, or meeting your expectations, but damnit you're def improving, and I think there are many gems in these most recent posts.

I wish I could critique the paintings, but you're quite beyond my level, and it would only be an insult so i can only offer my support

Oh, if i may ask, how do you approach color choice? I love your use of tones, what has helped you most in picking the appropriate color? I know it's a vague question, but I'm having difficulty with this and looking for a few places to start. thanks.

subbed and stars, cheers!

...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    gamerhomie, this last one rocks! wish there was a group like that for where i live, it'd be called 'the plein air painters of queensland' or something
    anyways, great colors in this and stuff, but i'd try and avoid painting a figure, theyre not gonna stop for you long enough! haha
    other than that it looks totally rad dude
    thanks for posting your pallete/box up to, cool to know how you work a bit

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6