Sketchbook: A thread with artwork and words (Nov. 25th MASSIVE ART DUMPING) - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: A thread with artwork and words (Nov. 25th MASSIVE ART DUMPING)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Belindi -

skMOP - I see what you're saying. They're just ever so off. I do pay attention to that when I'm in the beginning stages but I let that slide once in a while and it gets really hard to fix later on.

So this was the plaster bust being chiseled. It's done now and I'm just finishing picking out some of the blue plaster. I might leave it as is or paint it.

This last Tuesday a few buddies and I went to a club that was hosting an all night drawing session. There were models who were wearing costumes that were sort of avant-garde, dark I guess? It went on from 10pm - 4am and I won't be posting the drawings from 3am and on. They were all short poses ranging from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. I didn't know what to expect since the flyer was vague, but next time I might bring some more supplies. Quite a few people showed up, stayed all night, and painted. It was a cool hangout.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Adam Nowak; October 22nd, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CA's being goofy and won't let me upload everything in one post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    urhghhgh i want your moleskine!
    sooo good man!!
    your pencils are delicious man, and so are you paints
    keeep going, take that last one further, even oil paint it maybe?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome moleskin sketches. I'm filling mine up in quite a bit short of time....wish I could share, but I lack any sort of camera/scanner right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooo I love that portrait in #155 on the yellowish paper. It's beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have a real knack for color and shape, I really enjoy your energetic brushstrokes. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate the support. I wish today could repeat itself forever. Started painting and drawing today at 8 in the morning. It's almost 2 a.m. and I need to put my sketchbook down now. so I can get whatever sleep I have leftover. I started my largest painting yet. I put together a 26 x 30 canvas a few nights ago for this session. Crosses fingers for it to turn out decently.

Peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man your sketchbook is crazy!! i cant wait to see that big painting finished your making me go crazy wanting to do some life oil portrait painting @__@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a busy week! Got some more art done.

Ryanoir - I hope I can save it! I'm pretty excited, only two days left to fix all the mistakes!

Got a self portrait done for yesterday's event. It was my fathers birthday so after coming home at 8 and setting up lighting and everything else in another room I finished this in a little under two hours. updates on the larger painting. Got a portrait study done over the weekend and tried to reinforce what I posted a little while back. Squint, squint.... Quick update on the plaster cast. Almost done cleaning it and am still planning on painting it. I got some more quick sculpture studies done which will be here a little later on.

If you check out the sketchbook from about two weeks ago you'll notice I was making some sketches for this design. My friend asked me to create a tattoo for him based around this idea of a flying flock of birds. Since they had to be silhouettes, I focused on making each bird unique in its contour and shape. As they grow larger the birds start to come towards the viewer and reaching the top they start to fly back.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Nowak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you jsut designed the tats or did you actually tattoo the skin?

oils looks stunning @_@
    and your sketchbook still makes me want to kill myself lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No way Ryanoir! I didn't want to kill my friend, I only designed it. I never picked up a tattoo gun, but you never know.

1 - This portrait sketch was a little difficult. I didn't watch my proportions as I was working with a limited palette and focused too much on mixing colors. I used titanium white, ivory black, cadmium red medium, and yellow ochre pale.

2 + 3 - Finally finished the 26 x 30. I'm happy about a few things and learned a lot. The one thing I'm upset about is the proportions of the canvas. I wish I had stretched it a little larger both ways to include down to the knees to show a break in the form of the dress.

4 - A quick sculpture a little less than 1/4 scale. Wish I had done it a little larger as it was really difficult doing the face with a toothpick. Sooo...

5 - I started a 1/2 scale of the head of the same model. I decided to work with water based clay instead (bad idea). I've never worked with it, I just knew it was a lot easier to manipulate. I didn't know it was that easy though. I had trouble keeping the form of the planes on the face so I got frustrated and grabbed the skeleton in class for the last 1/2 hour.

6- More practice at the Palette and Chisel. I forgot all my charcoal and only had a stubby 6B pencil, an eraser, and newsprint on me so sorry about it looking so washed out. I suck suck suck suck at gestures.

7 - People on the train and in class. One lady in the hood would not stop moving while she was reading her book. Stopping in on another instructors class after school to get some more drawing in.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Nowak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first painting looks reallly really good for the pallette you used!
    and the second turned out absolutley stunning, i do like the proportions of the canvas myself,
    sculptures are awesome aswell! that skull face is real scary hah
    i like your lines too, real organic
    and your moleskine stuff is so fucking beautiful ! ;O;

i was experimenting with limited pallette yesterday too, i used alizarian, pibara, and cadmium reds with ivory black and zinc white, it was so challenging until i added the cadmium which was almost orange so it really made the study warm so i used it on another painting too, soo cool how some paints do that!
    good job with anything, i want to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff! did they have models at evil olive?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, such inspiring work and consistency! I love the oils sculpts and sketches equally, keep it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man, that portrait is so formy, I love it. Very nice stroke economy and shape design in your paintings man, they are dope. Would love to see you paint some really weird stuff, but thats just me because I'm fucking weird. hahaha. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The alla prima head studies are absolutely mental- your forms are so solid and your paint-handling and colour observation is incredible

amazed to see so much progress in a year's worth, keep up the works

"The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe."
    Bob Ross
    'Updates every other decade' Book
    Death by Hue Shift!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    inspiring sketchbook man keep up the hard work
    have a good one
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryanoir - Pibara? What's that? And you know what, having a full palette and knowing what to do with it is like having just enough dessert to fill you up but not enough to get you sick. It's great to be able to get such a wide range of tones, but limited palette's really help even more and I find them challenging. So when there's another figure study to do and it's nothing major I try to limit my palette to usually one of each primary + white or add one extra primary.

Jason Scanlon - Yes they did!

tehmeh - Thanks dude, I gotta say the same thing to you. Been following your work for a while now.

Metal Fingers - lol, that just happened to be a really good day. I probably will fall to a bit of different stuff eventually, I just love what I'm doing right now.

Aberzheim - Thank you very much man, I appreciate it.

OmertA - Thanks, you too!

---------------------------------

Tonight's portrait study, Kirsten. 12 x 16.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh thats a good way to work
    oopps Pilbara

its just red ha
    really realy dig this last port too, how big?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your sb is a real art learning journal, i'll keep visiting
    i hope you keep talking about your exercices so we can benefit from them too

good luck with your nexts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryanoir - 12 x 16. Ahh, now I remember hearing that, that's right., thanks.

zou - I just so happened to photograph tonight's painting for someone else so I decided to post it here as well.

Got two more done today. First is Ruby, I did one portrait of her a few months back. 12 x 16, My main goal was stroke economy, to lay down every stroke and to leave it there and making sure it's the right value, shape, temperature, etc... I don't know why, but it shouldn't be completely black underneath her neck. I tried messing with it in Photoshop but I couldn't manipulate that one area without taking too much time.

he second is Blessing. He sat for 3 hours at the P+C but I had to catch my train early today so I only worked on it for 2.5 hours. He wore this crazy plaid shirt that everyone started to torture him for but I took it upon myself to actually paint that shirt no matter how much it could take over the rest of the face. I think I struck a good balance between the two. It's 6 x 8. I posted a step by step so you can see my horrendously noobie process. I didn't focus on getting a completely 100% accurate drawing down since I knew I had to leave early. I don't always work this way, I tend to switch it up every time. Just whatever comes to me I guess.

Last edited by Adam Nowak; November 14th, 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first ones a girl? D:
    they both look beutiful man! and the plaid shirt must have been a pain haha turned out great though!
    i love how your not afraid to stroke in some blue on the face, really fucking awesome stuff bro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    god damn I love this sketchbook! Or rather im really interested in this alla prima oils thing! Seems like the proper way to make a study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook man, lots of variety in media. For that figure sculpture, did you just start with a block of clay and carve away at it?? I'm interested in trying this out myself. Dig that painting of the asian woman in the top post, I'll keep my eye on this sketchybook!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryanoir - Thanks!

Malakuko - Right on, it's definitely a fun approach!

Jasper_ - No, it's just built from the ground up. I tend to leave the planes a little apparent though there were a few students in the class who started with a big block of clay and only were to carve away at it, not add anything. Thanks dude!

So, I've been pretty busy, again. A head study in oils and clay. I'm putting in some extra time after school in a life drawing class because I really miss it. I haven't been focusing on value, more so on constructing form through line. Same goes with the gestures, which I really need to figure out how to do properly one day. That clay face I posted a while back from the bust has been salvaged and reworked into a soon to be plaster plaque to hang on my wall. Some more portrait studies and gestures. I was at the Palette on Sunday and a great model which I've seen a few times before posed for us. At first she had a great reclining/standing pose but at the last minute switched it up. So I treated it like a form, shadow, edge study. I begun work on the last 5 week sculpture. It'll be a half life sized (roughly 80 cm tall) piece when done. I'm super excited about it so I'm putting in the extra hours to make it work. One last portrait, Sunday night. A beautiful Russian girl who paints with us posed this week. I had such a migraine that I went a little wilder and didn't really look back. I just needed to stick it out till the end.

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving for those that will celebrate it! Eat little, paint lots. But It'll end up being the opposite for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mm great figures + sculptures dude
    i dont ahve much else to say ahha
    keep it up my friend! your getting HOOOOOT

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've been so busy, mate! I love it. I don't have too many critiques for you, as you're teaching me a lot more than I could teach you, but on thing I think you could improve on is the unity of your lines. You've got wonderfully loose and flowing strokes, but they're all so hash-dash in your life drawings that I think it takes something away from it. Your hands and moleskin pages are great though, wonderful lines. Always pay attention to the basic forms though, the first couple moleskin pages, the life drawings of your class painting I'm guessing? are a little wonky so far as forms go.

That's all the crits I have for you now. But I have questions! What do you normally paint on? and how do you normally go about painting? And blending, especially blending. Do you ever blend the paint on the canvas or do you mix up colours on the palette and blend by painting the colours close together?
    Also, what's your adding-on process for your clay sculptures? I've only ever heard of taking away

That's all I've got. Keep trucking mate, you're doing wonderful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sir, you are my hero, the colors you use in your painting, ooooh its just so tasty!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you!

Lionsword - Thanks, I'm having trouble getting things down pretty fast. Those last few are some Palette and Chisel members painting. They were done about 10 minutes before the session for the day was done. I did them because I finished up a little early and felt like drawing but I should have focused on one subject and spent 10 minutes instead of running around the entire place. By hash-dash could you specify something exact?

I've painted on a few different surfaces. Cotton and linen canvas, that goes for stretched, mounted, and taped onto a board, shellac'd wood, hardboard primed with acrylic gesso and oil primer.

I don't think I can ever remember specifically mixing colors on the canvas itself. It has always been on the palette, right value, right temperature, and right color then I lay it down where it should go. Sometimes I break those rules but I never intentionally painted the other way. I have tried it before just to try it out but all I got was a warm grey tone in the end. I guess it's just not my thing right now.

What I mean is I'm working with Roma Plastilina clay, it's oil based clay that I build upon the armature by packing it on and if there is too much I cut it off with a blade. maybe because I'm working with really soft clay so it's incredibly easy to cut and put back together again.

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow another awesome fine art sketchbook in the wrong place. you people never heard about, you know, the fine art section? Post some concept art please it's what this section is for, I'm sure with your skills it shouldnt be too hard?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6