Sketchbook: A thread with artwork and words (Nov. 25th MASSIVE ART DUMPING) - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oatestwder - Go for it man. It happens to me all the time. I get inspiration by looking at other sketchbooks and then I just browsing more until I realize I just spent an hour page after page...

1 - I'm really excited about not screwing this one up. Largest painting I've done yet as it's a two week pose that I have three more 3 hour sessions. 16x20.

2 + 3 - Gestures from last week. Interesting as the year is almost up and we got the same model from my very first gestures I posted which means some similar poses.

4 - 2nd try at pastel. I approached it with more of a crosshatch technique.

5 + 6 - Some 1 or so sketches from a few weeks back.

7 - Last Tuesday's watercolor instructor posing for us. Decided to kind of go with a more painterly style. Really fun.

8 + 9 - Sketches of people, also tried to go for a more loose style but should have kept a better eye on proportions and form.

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches, especially the hand figures on the yellow paper. I also like the first pencil / coloured added ones.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to soros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    soros - Thanks soros.

I forgot one more thing I did a few days ago. It was a portrait of my sister for my grandparents but I don't think I got the likeness down completely. She looks a few years older than she is now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I love the way your work is going. What kind of course are you on? Is it pure fine art? I'd love to go back to college and get a degree but I'm torn between the want to improve and the cost..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonHickey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JasonHickey - Hey man, I'm going for illustration. The first year every class is very fine art based and after that it becomes pretty focused on whatever course you decide on. So everything now has to do with fundamentals, life drawing, etc... But I love the fine art side. As soon as school ends in two weeks I'll focus more on areas I haven't really played with. I'm not sure of your situation, but I'm sure you could find a way to improve without the need of school, right? What do you want to go back for?

I've been sick for the past week so not much got done. That painting that I mentioned above won't be finished as I never came back for all three sessions.

1 - Trying out watercolors on Arches rough.
    2 - Still life with black and white charcoal.
    3 - 3rd pastel. My goal was to try a different technique with each of these pastels since I've never used them before. I quite like this broad suggestive way of working. Only took about 3 or 4 hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 - Final for Life Drawing 102, 13 hours. I don't know, I measured the head, chest, everything multiple times and it all seemed to match up. But in the end it still seems like the chest is a little too wide though he's leaning back...

2 - Friend came over to pose, about 3 hours. Trying to play with edges.

3 - It's the little things that give me a lot of trouble. I had to erase the prongs 10 times over before I just went ahead and painted them before I ripped the paper.

4 + 5 - Last open session, will complete it this time...

6 - Sketcherz. Is it just me or are Vanderpoel's eyes crosseyed?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

I just want to go back to have time to learn the things I was never taught the first time. I did a two year practical diploma in computer animation with very little focus on colour and light and the use of traditional materials. I also want to go back to work in 2d full time instead of 3d all day long. Booooring!

I love the study of your friend, it has a lot of warmth in it compared to some of your other studies.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonHickey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, it's awesome that you've made such dramatic improvements in such a short period of time! You're a real inspiration. Your oils paintings and life drawings are fantastic, but I particularly like your moleskine sketches. They're so lively and loose!

Which school are you studying at?

Can't wait to see more!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to B-zilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JasonHickey - Yeah, everyone here is required to all take the same fundamentals and life drawing classes no matter what major, illustration, photography, 3D animation, advertising, etc... Thing is a lot of the animation majors don't think the life drawing is beneficial to them since they're going to be drawing "cartoons" anyways.

I wonder if the warmth comes from the toned paper, I find all the pastels in my set to be very cold.

Belindi - Thank you so much man. It's nice to know what I do actually has an effect to someone across this vast digital space. I'm currently attending the American Academy of Art in Chicago. Also known as "you mean the Art Institute, right? Because that's the only art school here in Chicago."

1-3- Oh God, I really need to work on my gestures...I feel bad just uploading them.
    4- Almost done with this study. 9x12 on cheap Utrecht canvas board. Will do a few touchups tomorrow, mostly on the face.
    5- Trying out some of that bulk of Reeves BFK paper I have laying around. It's different, but it's really tough, quite nice.
    6- Self portrait + finishing it at 4:30 in the morning = goofy expression. I tried to get an oily look to the pastels, been looking at a lot of Sargent type portraits.
    7- Drew my friend on the way home same night we had the session. He said he looks like Trevor Goodchild.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work, I'm bookmarking your sketchbook so I can come back and look at it for inspiration. You have such a fluent style in your work. It's breathtaking.

my sketchbook
    I upload to Flickr more than I do to my sketchbook.
    You can go there by clicking here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to whatpants For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whatpants - Thank you very much.

1+2 - Henry Yan inspired gestures.
    3+4 - Head studies. I did one and started over but I wasn't able to finish because the instructor saw I was the only one left in class and told the model to stop. What?
    5 - So once she stopped I asked my friend to pose for a bout half an hour. There were quite a few people coming in and out, couldn't concentrate very well. I wish it came out better, features are really off.
    6- Just trying different techniques with watercolors. I want to get better with them.
    7- My friends girlfriend posed a second time last night. Very fun.
    8- Finished touching up the study. Love doing these.
    9+10- First one I tried just some expressions out of my head. Second one was from a fun train ride. Had a bunch of girls hiding from the conductor and a couple (one was a white sox and one was a cubs fan) arguing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great painting and drawing!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chr. Steam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chr. Steam - Thanks

School's out for the summer, time to get to drawing. I'll try to attend the weekly drawing sessions downtown at the Tojo Gallery and the Drawing Workshop whenever I can.

Goes as follows:

TDW - 40s, 1m, 1m, 2m, 5m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 15m, and 25m
    TG - 1m, 5m, and 1 h and 30m

Henry Yan again. I just find this method really quick in laying down a figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to be back at the Wacom. Second try at a still life. Had trouble with the jar, especially the top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great works here. It's nice to see you tackle so many mediums and succeed with them. As a sketchbook for viewing, this one is a joy to go through.

Keep it up!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More beautiful stuff. I really can't imagine how good you're going to be when you get your degree. I'm starting to write my own teach yourself course today. I tried to get in to TAD but I can't afford it. I'm gutted but hey that's life.

I'll come back and bother you for advice when I start my program.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonHickey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lakka - Working on it.

JasonHickey - Glad to hear it.

Recent sessions. Some okay, some bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to get more subtle results with the life drawing. I feel like this method of working is great as it really shows a lot in a short amount of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great life drawings as usual. I really like your charcoal studies and how much light you leave hitting the figure. You are not afraid to let the empty parts of the page speak for you. Keep it up!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonHickey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RE

Great updates, these Model sketches are lovely!

-Brun

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Brun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys.

I just finished watching the free TAD workshop. Are you going to try for TAD again or go a different route Jason? What kind of course are setting up?

---

Back into the swing of things for now. First one is of my mom for Mothers Day. I wanted to get enough time to take it a bit slow so I can try to do my best but she was rushing me the entire time. So after two hours, there you go.

The latest portrait from the after school sessions. I think I'm going in some right directions but I feel like I'm doing some fundamental mistakes and I don't want to get too ahead of myself. I have a hard time trying to keep all the values like they should be. If they're too light it looks flat and if they're too dark it stands out way too much. The more I study portraits the more I see the values are actually quite similar with just enough of a difference to separate the planes of the face. I don't know but I have to do something.

Starting some different work with my friend so we can keep ourselves busy over the summer. Pretty excited about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible progress! Nice Yan-Style! Did you already try to combine it with your graphite/pencils? (pencils for the main lines and e.g. face details, charcoal for the "yan-shading" / rendering)

The bubble is another great piece. Wish, you had drawn it as a longer time piece.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to surus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your willingness to explore the boundaries of your abilities, I notice you attempt to tackle many different techniques, and you do a great job with it everytime.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Dope Fiend For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't go wrong with those figure studies, in particular the charcoal stuff. Like the economy of the markmaking there.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to walnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice man just found from deviantart with luck especially charcoals

please visit my page and help me.
    or deviantart

40. The Following User Says Thank You to weashell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    surus - You read my mind. I was just thinking about what to do next a few days ago. I really like Yan' technique for it's quick coverage and I hope to continue to use it sometimes. I just don't want to directly copy it and leave it at that. I know in his book he has a few examples of using charcoal pencils for details and I think I'm going to try for graphite pencils to get subtle shading. Unless I can find charcoal pencils that are less than 2B.

Dope Fiend - Thanks, I find it pretty important to try as many things as possible. I wouldn't agree with actually tackling each medium and technique, more like they tackle me.

walnut - Thanks man, I try to take it slowly now instead of trying to rush it. It's hard but to me it seems like you progress faster when you sit back and make sure each mark counts for something.

weashell - Thanks, I checked deviantart first, then I saw you here.

Self portrait study from last night. 4 hours, 8 x 10 oil on wood. Major structure issues I think but I didn't know the best way to go about them.

Last edited by Adam Nowak; May 15th, 2010 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!

What Can i say ... Im sat here at work, meant to be doing ... well, work, but i just got sucked into your work and couldnt stop looking!

As so many have said before, you are an art machine! The amount you get done is amazing, and I am simply inspired by how much youve come on and how amazing your work is now!

I especially love the blue male in post 37, and your recent stuff that looks like the fourth one down in post 61. The line work is awesome ... i love the lines throughout your drawings, and you have inspired me to finally get back to my sketchbook and get some more done, after personal difficulties recently.

Thank you is all i can say, and keep up the amazing work!
    Take Care
    Norris

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Norris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Norris - Hey, thanks I appreciate it a lot! I've been so busy during the past two weeks commuting back and forth to school and the Palette and Chisel that I haven't had time to upload anything. I've come near my computer a few times but I just went back to drawing. Also every single page from my current sketchbook had been done with a single .5 HB mechanical pencil. I was getting frustrated getting the same line and same value every time so now I I use it along with a regular HB and 6B pencil. Reason I ditched regular pencils a while back was because I was using them the wrong way and I decided to change up my linework.

Well now I feel a whole lot better about it. Not sure if it's a good change, what do you guys think? Anyways here's some decent, bad, and horrible art.

1 + 2- Studies of friends after school.
    3- Portrait club of one of the reps. I realized after studying some masterworks and portraits that in most cases, less is more when it comes to value and that some of my previous attempts have been too harsh between light and shadow. Now I think there isn't enough... there's always next time.
    4 - 11- Palette and Chisel studies. A lot of fail...
    12 - 14- Recent oil studies which is what I really want to focus on. But at the same time besides my total failure at trying to figure out color, my drawing underneath the paint is also terrible and I always come out with some kind of issue because I want to rush into painting. Either an eye is off, the head is too long, the features are too small. Then when I actually get to the painting, I try not to get my colors muddy or too varied. That's why # 12 is a limited palette consisting of Titanium White, Transparent Oxide Red, Viridian Green, and I had some extra Yellow Ochre which I used two or three times.
    15 - 23- Sketchbookness.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work man, your progress is inspiring.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Born, raised, and still residing in Hollister, California
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice work. i envy the traditionals.. keep up the work!

48. The Following User Says Thank You to dU5K For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3