School motivation ??
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: School motivation ??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following

School motivation ??

Hello everyone, I know I wouldn't ask this question if i wasn't this tired but I really would like to know what you guys think and why you think the way you think. soooo.......

I'm 17 and I'm currently studying social-science at some random school here in Sweden and I have absolutely nooooooooo idea of what I'm doing here or why I would even go here one single day more... I dropped out last year and took half a year off traveling and just doing other things that wasn't art ( I do realize now that that was a big mistake.. ) but now I'm back into this brainless 8-hour-of-sitting-in-a-cell-answering-retard-questions-and-learning-about-stuff-we-already-learned-about-in-middle-school.

I can't do shit without a GED score or having graduated from my current school or any highschool ( Gymnasium as its called here.. ) and dropping out would mean that my mother can't afford to live were she lives ( Something to do with money received from social-systems here.. ).. I "had" to give up a good job ( another stupid mistake ) so I could go to school again so that in the future, I could get even better jobs! Brilliant huh.. no.

So I can't paint those 8 hours I'm in school, I can't drop out again, and I'm so tired of school I could puke thinking about how tired I am of school and I'm spending the nights awake so I can paint and therefor fucking up even more stuff, and that's where my real question comes up.. !

I imagine that there has been other cases similar to the one I'm in right now , especially here where everyone is some kind of a artist, so my question to you is , how did you get through those 3 years of shit? I love the people in my school, and I like the teachers, but they all seem hooked up to this system that can't be re-arranged or else they will get no salary.

I _want_ to go to a *real* art-school and my goal has since I first heard about the place been to go to art-center. Now even if that could somehow magically be arranged they demand that you have finished highschool or has a GED score... great. So I've studied for the same amount of time as the kids who go to art-center this year, but still I can't go because the f'ing system in sweden SUCKS. I'm not saying I could go even if I was done with school, just that now there is no CHANCE in hell I could go.. Anywhere.

So againnnn, how did/do you motivate yourself to go to a place that *might* give you something back in a longtime thinking kind of way ?

All that is in my head right now is that I'm wasting 3 years of my life, I'm getting little or nothing out of it *right now* and the only thing I'm getting from it in the longtime thinking way is a piece of paper and that I will still suck at art..

haha please give me some ideas! I will forever be thankful

-Dennis

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember all the things we've talked about!

If you manage to get a full ride, apply for Student Visa and get accepted, and the money for the plane ride from sweden to USA,
    I got your back! I'll carpool you, feed you and give you a place to live whilst attending artcenter with me.

So trrrrrrrry really hard for that full ride, i heard its very rare, and when you're here,
    we can paintttt and drawwwww alll dayyy lonnnng, and me you and bapsi can all eat dinner together!

If you get a half ride, let's hope the economy gets better for you to get a student loan.

i believe in you!!!

Oh yeah, My mom said she doesn't want to adopt you, sorry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rossipoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its hard to get motivated about crap you dont want to do, thats a fact. The only way to make it better is to get a different attitude about it, by looking at it a different way.

Since youve said it the classes are pretty easy, your main problem with being there is that you arent painting. Painting is not the only way to become a better artist. Just think of it as 8 hours of life drawing. What better place than room full of people not moving very often? You only have to pay enough attention to whats going on to be able to get good grades, which isn't very hard in high school, at least not in the US. And again since you seem pretty confident that you are ahead of your class, getting good, or decent, grades shouldn't be a problem. I slept my way through high school and got good grades, spend your time more wisely.

Also:
    "dropping out would mean that my mother can't afford to live were she lives"
    If you being in school is the reason that your mom can live in her house... That right there should be motivation enough to stay in. Think of everything your mom does for you, whether you acknowledge it or not, the least you can do is allow her to continue living in her house.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to medik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Suffer through.

Anyone can quit, but it takes a real trooper to stay to the end. A highschool diploma or GED isn't about learning, it's the greatest test of teenager's girth. If you can suffer through the hellish nightstorm of highschool, you can suffer through anything!

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seconding the Irish drunkard, it's actually quite easy to fight your way through once you've found your way. The important thing you should keep in mind is that a) it helps our mom and b) it will be somewhat of a base for the future. Being without graduation is really bad, especially since you are a very smart person (from what I read, and I think I'm right there).

Also, keep in mind that it's not always working the way you want and that the future isn't a 50-year ticket to some dull job, as it was some decades ago. The future has some exciting things ready for you. Just because you're doing social-sience doesn't mean you'll do it your whole life. It's important for you to have that letter that says "Dennis made it through our 3 years boredom drill camp and can now concentrate on the things he likes." If that's your goal, pull it through as good as you can without letting it get you down. And in the remaining 16 hours of the day, do as much of the things you like.

Your school career isn't a straight line. Some do straight lines, you and me don't. I made it through 3 years of economics school, so trust me on this. I didn't even graduate. I dropped out after 12th. Instead of graduating I did an apprenticeship for two and a half year (after which I was granted the graduation to study anyway, great thing in Germany), followed by civilian service and now I'm actually studying design. But dropping out was a high risk and if Sweden is at least some way like Germany, being without graduation (and without a backup plan) means a harsh life.

Rome, all roads, you know. But it's never wrong to have a Joker. Your school is your joker at the moment. Don't drop it yet.

EDIT: And you got support from rossipoo, which is more than most have – very cool. I don't know how that full ride thing works, but I'd at least apply to it!

PS: And man, you're just 17 (only realized it now). You have some serious talent and you're already so damn good. Don't let some school get you down. But don't let your art get into the way of securing your social future … whatever that means.

Last edited by Jabo; October 6th, 2009 at 04:56 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pfft, you're 17. You have plenty of time, and you're already a good painter. Finish high-school, you whiner.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jag kan bara säga så här: dina möjligheter till arbete senare i livet kommer att verkligen försämras om du inte går ut gymnasiet. Det är totalt obligatoriskt, uthärda det som alla andra har. Själv så gick jag Naturvetarprogrammet, tyckte också att delar av gymnasiet var hemskt (matte, fysik, kemi - usch!) men resten tyckte jag var rätt roligt - framför allt för att jag planerade att studera biologi på universitetet vilket jag gör nu. Min motivation som gjorde att jag klarade av gymnasiet var att jag tyckte att allt var så kul, och jag hade riktigt bra polare.

Du är ju bara 17, pojk. Även om det känns som slöseri med tid så kommer du inte att tycka det om några år. Jag har kännt alltför många personer som hoppat av gymnasiet och som sedan ångrat sig rejält. Så vad du än gör, hoppa inte av - det är din framtid det hänger på.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to shape up, seriously.

You're still a baby. I wouldn't let my 17 self decide my future let alone drop out of gymnasiet. That'll make your life a living hell from that day.

Sketch your days through, it helped me. Take the amount of time you actually have to your advantage.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CGMonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The people above have said some pretty smart stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    and that I will still suck at art...
    (Emphasis added by me.) Dude, this implies that you're bad at art. If you're bad at art, then what the fuck am I? And I'm older than you! Shiiit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not entirely sure how it works over there, but if you're talking about the equivalent of high school then my advice is: suck it up and finish. I'm pretty sure nobody likes high school, but you've just gotta get through it.

Also, if there are any colleges nearby, maybe you could take some art classes there. I know high schools here let students take a certain number of credits at nearby schools. Something worth checking out.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot guys! it really really helps to hear this from artists.. the funny thing is that since 7th grade the only thing I ever heard from people was what happened "if you drop out" which didn't sound that bad... I think 'that story' has somewhat sunk in as the truth I want to believe in, in my head. Every morning I wake up the only thing I think about is how I could skip 'as much as possible' without getting bad grades in the long run or losing my student aid. My art feels halfassed and distracted because of always doing it while being stressed , distracted or just really tired. I oversleep all the time which also feels like a waste of time, and I oversleep because I spend the nights in front of my sketchbook or tablet.

Your ideas really helps to turn the picture of life around a little, and I will try to have them in my head next time its time for school.. which is like tomorrow

thanks!

-Dennis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second Noah Bradley comment. Just persevere and think of your mom as your motivation.

I admired your attitude for a 17 years old boy and I have gone through so many weird moments in my life that I still can't believe that I still desire to draw more even after what I've gone through.

Remember act wisely and think a lot. Yup you heard me think a lot and think of being in somebody's shoes. Go finish that random school yo.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Huey Yeng For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No worries dude, I was in the same situation. Just stick to drawing and try to get through as much as you need of that school stuff. I usually spent all the lessons just drawing in my sketchbook. Paint in every free minute. And when you're sure you can make the jump, do it. Just don't be hasty.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Humanity learns best through suffering. So each day you spend in school, is another day you learn how to best stay away from places like it.
    Too much suffering is constituted as having physical effects, like anxiety attacks, chronic headaches, etc.
    Once you reach that stage, you need a break.
    So after your studies, which you should finish, since you're not crippled under the effects yet, go and take a non art related job. Forget about art for an entire year and experience stress free life.

Since what you're describing is addict like behavior. Instead of art being your passion, you talk about both damaging your own and someone else's life just to keep doing it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know about taking a year off of art... Seems counterproductive.

After finishing school, you owe it to yourself to take some time to experience a stress free time period. (A couple weeks or month before finding a job, or whatever you plan to do next) And do nothing but draw!

At least, this is my graduation gift to myself.

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    From what i remember from school at that age, and from what i know from the norwegian school system, you could probably breeze through the classes without too much effort. I'm guessing that you won't need to have great grades at graduation, only to have a graduation certificate. This will allow you to study in university. If you'll be going to an art university your portfolio would probably count more than your grades. I skipped out of school at your age, and i halfway regret that, since i'd have to go through some pretty big hoops if i wanna study at a university.

I don't know anything for sure, and i live in a different country, so take everything i say with a grain or two of salt. My advice to you would be to suffer through it, it won't take that long. Draw as much as you can during class, and don't work any harder than you have to in classes you don't need.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know what you mean Dile. I'm in the same position as you... I have two more years of high school to get through, and I hate it hate it hate it. I've gotten good grades all my life though, so there's pressure on me to do well. I have to make it through the rest of this year taking tough classes, but I've decided to do what's best for me and cut down on my classes next year, my final year, so that I just get enough credits to graduate with a diploma, that way I have lots more time for art. I feel for you man. Hang in there.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Every subject is interesting if it's presented right. And, all of it can be applicable to art. Try and think how you can combine it, or at least get into each subject.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pssst.... I have a secret....

Most people don't like highschool ....o.O

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivory_Oasis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BTW: Being in class involves a lot of people sitting still, use this to your advantage. Just sayin'

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    Humanity learns best through suffering. So each day you spend in school, is another day you learn how to best stay away from places like it.
    Too much suffering is constituted as having physical effects, like anxiety attacks, chronic headaches, etc.
    Once you reach that stage, you need a break.
    So after your studies, which you should finish, since you're not crippled under the effects yet, go and take a non art related job. Forget about art for an entire year and experience stress free life.

Since what you're describing is addict like behavior. Instead of art being your passion, you talk about both damaging your own and someone else's life just to keep doing it.
    I have chronic headache, but I don't think its related hehe.. I don't think the problem is so much that i want to do art, compared to that I don't see what I get out of school, and its a big "plus" that I could do art if I didn't go to school.. see what I mean ? I don't know if it would make any difference whatever I did or did not find my way into art. I guess the difference is that now I already know what I want to become, and the schools around here aren't giving me anything that will help me accomplish my goals, and as I said, "if" I'm getting something out of it, then that is something wayyy down the road.. or at least thats what it feels like.

But you guys are right, I am sticking to school, I just wanted to hear your opinions on how to suffer through it. And I already received some good things to think about that might or will happen if i stick it out, so this thread has already been great for me.

The last thing i want to do is to hurt my family in any way, and I'd be doing that pretty directly if I didn't go to school. The alternative is making money some other way, but if that way isn't doing art.. then i'm back on square one lol , plus, I wouldn't get as much out of an ordinary job as I would from getting that infamous piece of paper.

Again, thanks everyone.. and its really good to hear that Ross..! I would get over there right awayyyyy if I know i had a 'secure future' and a visa

@Slash, I will thanks man

thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    School related stuff can even have an effect on how easy it is to get certain types of visa. A lot of things build on the foundation of high school, no matter how much it may suck while you are enduring it.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when i first met you, i forgot that you were still 17. and even how hard and stressful some days got you never stop painting.
    like Noah Bradley said i too doubt that anyone liked high-school. not to mention that you are already a good painter and already more driven and passionate for art than anyone else i met.
    keep fighting for your dreams, and dont forget that you got the support and admiration of the ca community (as this threat has showed )

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Call0ps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo.
    get a job not involvinig art?
    i did, it helped and paid better,
    try to come to usa man, ha (jk) its not so hot over here..
    Im going to be the bad guy and say school at all levels is terribly important.
    Study skills in areas not inherently interesting to you are good to have,
    being acountable is good and school helps with that by holding you accountable alot..
    There is no excuse in my opinion for not going to Secondary school when its offered as free education..
    This might also make me seem the bad guy but raw artistic talent is not enought to get you a good job.. (NOT speaking from experience, ha more from observation..) but I would say suffer through it and try your hardest, its part of your life for heaven's sake.
    I do disagree with Slash's opinion, and going to an Art University is way expensive with out scholarships, a school in the low-mid range i applied for was around $90,000. Dont kid yourself, you cant be lugging around loans like that, you will need scholarships.
    And to even qualify for most scholarships you have to have a certain GPA, dont blow off seemingly unrelated classes, no good can from it.
    Anyways Scrooge is out.
    Ill Probably edit this later,
    I wish you the best of luck friend,
    Sincerly I do.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedininjaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't talking about cost, i was talking about the possilibity to go to university at all. Going for a scholarship based on grades would of course require ass-busting.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1