Sketchbook: Teowli's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Teowli's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Teowli's Sketchbook

My sketchbook (my brain lacks originality and wit at the moment, plz forgive). I really am hoping for some honest critique, I will LOVE you for it. WARNING: I'm a little slow, so I'll probably ask for clarification on some things. :/ Or, a lot of things.

I don't have a lot of recent art on my comp at the moment, so I'll upload the most recent picture that I DO have:

Noah, from a comic concept I've been planning/sketching around for awhile. Right now I feel like I'm just ripping off Death Note. Awesome art/story, but I know that mimicking Takeshi Obata isn't the way to becoming a good artist. Something I am working on.

Top left photo is based off of a picture of my little cousin: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...72509_0142.jpg

Also, is it just me, or does the green-shirted image have a bit of a "derp" vibe?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more sketches.

Some 60 second gesture drawings from Posemaniacs.

Sketches of my chihuahua, Milo. And some preliminary sketches of a school project that I'll post for critiques later, when I have it more finished.

And another picture based off of my cousin. Less manga-ey this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great paintings man, truly amazing. keep it coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work, I love what you have going so far! Keep Posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome paintings. The very top two are wonderful. The bottom one in the first post seems to have an issue with his cheek area. I don't know if that was intended or not. But some of the 3/4 views of your sketched faces seem to have flattened out a bit. It may be just me though. I love that realistic eye socket in the second post. Great work. I would love to see more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHut View Post
    Awesome paintings. The very top two are wonderful. The bottom one in the first post seems to have an issue with his cheek area. I don't know if that was intended or not. But some of the 3/4 views of your sketched faces seem to have flattened out a bit. It may be just me though. I love that realistic eye socket in the second post. Great work. I would love to see more.
    I know, right? There's something off about it. I think the eye/cheek is a big part of it. It may just be the nature of the expression, too.

I didn't notice that my 3/4 faces were flat until you mentioned it. I'm starting to see it now.

Thanks for the crit, much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

5 Elements Project

These were made for a "5 Elements Project" in my Graphic Design class where we had to pick an everyday, ordinary object and apply it into symbol, word, essence, and out of context forms.

The item I chose was a vanilla-scented candle. I'm only going to post the symbol, essence, and out of context (in that order) because they're the only ones really worth looking at, despite the rainbow-barfage all over the pages. x)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The little doggie is so sweet *o*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice sketchbook.
    if your open to advice, i think maybe trying some realistic studies of hands might be good for you., (life drawing, direct observation, anatomy, ect) you seem to cover the hands whenever possible (with clothes and stuff i mean)

i could be completley wrong, but thats just my view of it,
    i'll come visit again some time.
    cya around!!!

The clockworksnail Experience- SKETCHBOOK!!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...clockworksnail

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clockworksnail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some Dry-point itaglio prints.

A couple of dry-point intaglio prints from my Intro to Printmaking class.

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice drypoints. Drypointing is a fun method of intaglio, if not as versatile and more tiresome than etching. Still, you seem to have a fair bit of facility with them. What's the plate? Aluminium or Zinc? One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from our etching lecturer - "Don't be afraid of tone" and you're certainly not afraid of it.

There are perspective issues here and there in your pieces, but nothing crippling. The concept sketches in your first few posts are nice. The portrait of your cousin is a little off - I think because you drew it on a curve - the forehead and the chin both seem to recede from the nose. Posemaniacs look good, the dog sketches are really good. Keep on practising!

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

14. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by donalfall View Post
    Hey, nice drypoints. Drypointing is a fun method of intaglio, if not as versatile and more tiresome than etching. Still, you seem to have a fair bit of facility with them. What's the plate? Aluminium or Zinc? One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from our etching lecturer - "Don't be afraid of tone" and you're certainly not afraid of it.

There are perspective issues here and there in your pieces, but nothing crippling. The concept sketches in your first few posts are nice. The portrait of your cousin is a little off - I think because you drew it on a curve - the forehead and the chin both seem to recede from the nose. Posemaniacs look good, the dog sketches are really good. Keep on practising!
    It was copper, actually. I think most of the tone came from me underwiping the plate (you can still see the swirls left over from the tarlitain, lol), but it ended up getting a slightly smudged, creepy effect that I'm kinda diggin' at the moment.

Thanks for the perspective critique, though I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say I drew on a curve. Are you refering to drawing on the t-shaped facial guidelines I use? Now that I look at it again, the nose seems to be facing a different way that the rest of the face. Is that what you meant?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, you have really great sketches! I really like the cgharacter concept for Noah, very interesting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworksnail View Post
    hey, nice sketchbook.
    if your open to advice, i think maybe trying some realistic studies of hands might be good for you., (life drawing, direct observation, anatomy, ect) you seem to cover the hands whenever possible (with clothes and stuff i mean)

i could be completley wrong, but thats just my view of it,
    i'll come visit again some time.
    cya around!!!
    Crap, I just realized I never responded to this! Yeah, I have a tendency to draw my characters with long sleeves and covering their hands up with them. I'll be sure to work on it.

Thanks for the crit!

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Teowli View Post
    It was copper, actually. I think most of the tone came from me underwiping the plate (you can still see the swirls left over from the tarlitain, lol), but it ended up getting a slightly smudged, creepy effect that I'm kinda diggin' at the moment.

Thanks for the perspective critique, though I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say I drew on a curve. Are you refering to drawing on the t-shaped facial guidelines I use? Now that I look at it again, the nose seems to be facing a different way that the rest of the face. Is that what you meant?
    Cool. We used to drypoint on aluminium and zinc cos they were cheaper and keep the copper for our etching. It doesn't really matter what you drypoint on, after all, but you really notice a quality difference when you acid etch. Steel is a fun surface too. Underwiping can be great! Some of the most fun effects I ever got were from ink squirting out from underwiping, which some people called "a mess" but I called "Art".

My rapid fire critique may not have been the most helpful, it's true. It looks in the picture like we're looking at different parts of the portrait from different angles. The eyes and cheeks look like the do from slightly above, the nose looks almost straight on and then the mouth looks like slightly below. (Or the other way around - I can't see your pic while I'm replying and my memory comes in at about 2 seconds.... Aargh) It just distorts his face and makes it look out of proportion and a bit weird. I have no facility to do an over paint for you atm, sorry. My netbook fill-in computer can't run a painting program for love or money. Maybe some day soon.

Last edited by donalfall; November 20th, 2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Very short short-term memory
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i laughed at your late post,
    ive never seen a 'dry-point' before, what exactly is it?
    also, where are you from?
    cy around.

The clockworksnail Experience- SKETCHBOOK!!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...clockworksnail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by donalfall View Post
    Cool. We used to drypoint on aluminium and zinc cos they were cheaper and keep the copper for our etching. It doesn't really matter what you drypoint on, after all, but you really notice a quality difference when you acid etch. Steel is a fun surface too. Underwiping can be great! Some of the most fun effects I ever got were from ink squirting out from underwiping, which some people called "a mess" but I called "Art".

My rapid fire critique may not have been the most helpful, it's true. It looks in the picture like we're looking at different parts of the portrait from different angles. The eyes and cheeks look like the do from slightly above, the nose looks almost straight on and then the mouth looks like slightly below. (Or the other way around - I can't see your pic while I'm replying and my memory comes in at about 2 seconds.... Aargh) It just distorts his face and makes it look out of proportion and a bit weird. I have no facility to do an over paint for you atm, sorry. My netbook fill-in computer can't run a painting program for love or money. Maybe some day soon.
    Ironically, we're doing aquatint for our final project in class. I'm pretty happy with it, but the teacher wasn't kidding when he called it the "hurry up and wait" way of printmaking.

Thanks for elaborating. I sort of got the gist of what you meant in your previous post, but I didn't want to make assumtions without being sure. The only other place I've posted art is at DeviantArt so I'm not exactly used to getting critiques or understanding the lingo. No worries on the paint-over; I'll sketch around and try to figure out how to fix the wonky. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworksnail View Post
    i laughed at your late post,
    ive never seen a 'dry-point' before, what exactly is it?
    also, where are you from?
    cy around.
    Yeah, I'm not the quickest person in the world, art-wise OR post-wise. I could make a whole bunch of excuses but really I'm just reeeeally lazy. x)

I've only taken an "intro" class, so you might want to google a bit to get a more solid answer, but here's how I'm looking at it: A dry-point is a type of intaglio printmaking technique where you use various instruments to dig into a flat surface. At least, we did. On Wikipedia it specifies that you use some sort of needle only, but in our class some kids glued sandpaper to their plates, used thin layers of gels, etc. Then when we ran it through the press, we had to use wet paper so that it would bend more easily into the cuts to pick up the ink.

I'm in southern USA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey, I actually stumbled upon your sketchbook from a question you asked...

Just tossing a quick crit for now, www.posemaniacs.com and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4qZCTrBoIo

Try to learn gesture drawing initially imo, it will take you far

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat Kaminski View Post
    Hey hey, I actually stumbled upon your sketchbook from a question you asked...

Just tossing a quick crit for now, www.posemaniacs.com and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4qZCTrBoIo

Try to learn gesture drawing initially imo, it will take you far
    Thanks for dropping by!

I've been on Posemaniacs, but I haven't been abusing it nearly enough. And thank you for the video link. I'll check it out when I'm not on school computers.

Thanks for the advice!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.