Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

the future of concept art? manley, you see this?

check this shit out, watch the video and bask in the potential:
    http://rhondaforever.com/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh man, the crazyness is really gonna start happening when those models are easily translated into workable Max/Maya wireframes... next logical step too.

Thanks for sharing
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Well, i think it could be a great product as a learning tool, especially training our mind to visualize and see things as shapes, but i don't think it could be used on final concept art stuff, in that case, why not using a 3d software ? it would take less time with a better quality art ! But thanks for sharing !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,738 Times in 4,642 Posts

Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Drawing splines is new? You guys need to get out more.

Thanks
    just imagine if massive black got involved in the development of this software!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Thanks for sharing that, looks like loads of fun to draw with. Seems a lot more intuitive than other attempts at sketching 3D models I've seen.

Would be nice if it had an option to give you contours in any POV though, although the examples he showed at the end were great to show what fun stuff you can make without that. I think it would be most valuable for creating ideas and getting inspired as it is right now, as the medium kind of forces you to rethink how to sketch.

Apparently they're beta-testing it and you can join by signing up? I wonder if you need a mouse with a scrollball like that though, seems kind of necessary.
    Last edited by yoitisi; October 1st, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    Drawing splines is new? You guys need to get out more.
    noob.
    [edit]
    just looked at your sketchbook. cool shit. but for someone who does 3d you should know that you cant "draw splines" like this in any 3d program (aside from the one DAN linked to up above)
    drawing splines is tedious and annoying in every 3d program i've ever seen, you cant just go at it with a wacom you have to use bezier curves and shit, it sucks
    i think this program has some amazing potential. especially if they implement brushes and stuff.
    Last edited by TheDirtSyndicate; October 1st, 2009 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 593 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtSyndicate View Post
    noob.
    [edit]
    just looked at your sketchbook. cool shit. but for someone who does 3d you should know that you cant "draw splines" like this in any 3d program (aside from the one DAN linked to up above)
    drawing splines is tedious and annoying in every 3d program i've ever seen, you cant just go at it with a wacom you have to use bezier curves and shit, it sucks
    i think this program has some amazing potential. especially if they implement brushes and stuff.
    I remember freehand spline/nurb scripts since like 3dsmax4, I'm not sure what program you've used.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how intuitive it is, if the mesh it generates is just a clusterfuck of topology its pretty worthless.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    At the end of the day it doesn't matter how intuitive it is, if the mesh it generates is just a clusterfuck of topology its pretty worthless.
    Worthless for what? A clean render or in game character? I think that is pretty obviously not one of the goals of this project to start with.

I think you miss the point where with programs like these they're trying to enable users to make a sketch in a 3D program, a sketch with all the liveliness and dynamics that you can actually turn around and watch from all sides without having to go through a program and killing it because the computer requires definite parameters and numeric input. It for sure has it's uses, even though this is probably not the first nor the last step in the evolution of such 3D programs.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Could be modeling from polygons instead beizer curves?
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    I can imagine it would be usefull to use as a cage to block in your forms when doing subd modeling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post

I think you miss the point where with programs like these they're trying to enable users to make a sketch in a 3D program, a sketch with all the liveliness and dynamics that you can actually turn around and watch from all sides without having to go through a program and killing it because the computer requires definite parameters and numeric input.
    I think that's pretty much been accomplished you should check out zbrush sometime.

Thanks
    I think that's pretty much been accomplished you should check out zbrush sometime.
    Evolution stopped once we humans were there did it?

While I agree Zbrush is pretty amazing on this aspect, it's not the definite or only answer to the issue. If you find it works good for you, that is fine. I just appreciate the fact that there are other programs being developed out there that capture all kinds of different aspects for getting your ideas and concepts out there. I like this one in particular because it doesn't look as clumsy or difficult to use as other sketch 3D programs I've seen that are being developed.

There is a reason for the co-existence of Photoshop, Painter, Sketchbook, Artrage and a whole range of other programs to draw on a computer, same as there is ground for a multitude of 3D programs.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    i want that! just wait till i get my hands on it
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    It looks interesting but seems less intuitive than a sculptural approach. Not really enough to drag me away from zbrush, especially since zspheres 2.

Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
yeah.. what deadlyfreeze said.. For 3dsmax 4 there was a popular plug-in that made it possible to draw and easily convert what you had drawn to 3D. And didn't pixologic just released a painting-to-3D plugin for zbrush aswell ?

Thanks
    Thanks for posting this, Not my cup of tea, but interesting none the less.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    hm, thats interesting, if it ever does go mainstream i hope there is a way to set it up without having to use the shown mouse, i have always hated those.

Thanks
    wooow sweeet man sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    yeah, zbrush is awesome. i love it, and i cant wait to play with the new version.
    what i like about this "rhonda" is the ability to sketch in 3d. literally!!
    i've played with zbrush before and had all kinds of issues with polygons, things not pushing and pulling right, how do i add more to the model, etc. it gets pretty deep. sure, once you know how to make it work you can do amazing stuff. but it has a pretty steep learning curve, thats why there are so many FREE tutorials online. they want to be able to sell their program!
    with Rhonda you dont need to know shit. you just draw. anyone can pick up a pencil and draw. now that anyone has the ability to draw in a 3d space.
    also, take that sketch, imagine if you will that file being sent over to an actual 3d modeler. he has a 3d sketch of the thing that needs to be modeled! sure, its nice to say "well look at jhawk, that dude does quick models of his shit and thats what he sends to the modelers". thats awesome, but not everyone knows how to model. some people just dont "get it" or just dont have time to learn a 3d program be it max or zbrush.
    this is instantly accessible. i think its bloody brilliant.

Thanks
    Looks interesting and I can definitely see how that can be very well used with 3d modeling programs. Quickly do a basic 3d sketch in Rhonda and import to max or maya and model away!

Thanks
    Looks intresting but i think that nothing can replace the traditional way of learning.

But looks like a potential tool for the near future

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

Thanks
    I believe the video shows the wrong application for a tool like this. Imagine car designers and product designers who are mostly used to the traditional medium being able to punch out 3d mockups and prototypes.

So yes, this tool is not comparable to todays 3d software. However, one does not rule out the other. Remember, zbrush started out as a pure illustrating program and didn't evolve to a viable tool for 3d modelling several years into its' market existence.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    you have to think outside the box.

its a new tool, use it to make new things.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

• The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CgMonkey View Post
    Remember, zbrush started out as a pure illustrating program and didn't evolve to a viable tool for 3d modelling several years into its' market existence.
    Where did you get that from? I've used it since 1.55 and its 2d tool set was never what attracted people to zbrush its always been its 3d capabilitys.

It wasn't implemented into the majority of pipelines because its 3d was so ahead of its time(1999). It was only till 2003 when normal mapping started being used that people began understand the potential of high poly modeling in pipelines.

Thanks
    yeh saw this on Ilovesketch a few months back, the potential for it is great! has anyone heard of rabbit holes? that 3d paper that holds 10 seconds of "video"? I will post the link cos that shit is mental!!!!

Deadlyfreeze - chill

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    It sure looks user friendly (no more defining sketch surfaces.), next step to define surfaces, solids.
    CAD programs can do that and it would be awesome for rapid prototyping.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast