Art: Classical Atelier at Home - Page 6

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks
    thanks a ton pal

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Ecorche

Hi.

Actually this is not really traditionally made. I started with pencil, inked it, scanned it and colored it in Photoshop.
    The front figure is completely done from memory but for the rear view I had to look up for some muscles.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Very impressive paintings. Your initiative and drive to pursue skills in this method is really quite admirable and you've achieved great results.

Last edited by N D Hill; June 13th, 2012 at 08:39 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Classical Atelier meets digital media

I wanted to do some figure drawings. As everyone knows: printers never work. If you ran out of ink - and even if its yellow - you cant print in black and white.

So I wanted to use my laptops screen for displaying the reference and for drawing besides the reference I needed some translucent an sturdy material. I took the glass plate of an IKEA picture frame. I taped the edges with artists tape because the edges were quite sharp and I did not want my laptop to be scratched. After Ive sent this post, Im going to buy some plexi glass.

I took a Bargue drawing of a standing man. Opened it in a picture viewer, placed it to the left. Then came the glass plate and the 185g/m drawing paper. Thinner paper is good for placing the drawing over the reference for comparison but I found the heavier paper good for covering up the light coming from the screen. The laptop was about an arm lenght away. For the final step of the drawing I placed it closer to my eyes since I did not need an overall view of the drawing then.

I always worked from the general to the specific. The first 5 minutes were spent to roughly define the size and angles of everything. To not beeing too dark I used an H pencil.

Since the lines were so light I did not need to knock off the lines with an eraser for the next round. 10 minutes spent on making clearer lines with a B pencil while correcting their position and lenght.

Then I knocked off the lines with a kneadable eraser by rolling it over the drawing.

Another 15 minutes with correcting lines. Then switched to a 4B pencil to make darker lines. Between this and the last round, knocked off drawing again and then making careful clean final lines.

Total time: 1h 20min

My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    The first one is a Bargue figure drawing from yesterday, the second is the Belvedere Torso made today in about 4 hours. Got a plexi glass plate now.

This makes so much fun but my shoulder is sore now

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Looking good man,
    you could really push those darks more, for example comparing the belvedere torso plate. It could be just be the picture or my monitor.

Thanks
    Hey Bjoern what a good idea to use your laptop as an easel to display and traditionally draw on. I've always liked the Bargue's copies so it's great to see your process. I am impressed how much you achieved in 4 hours on the belvedere torso. The chest area of the torso does seem smaller but I thinks it's just the angle at which it's been photographed, I know myself it's not so easy to take photographs without distortion. Thanks anyway for a really useful post I think I might try it myself sometime as I do have some plexiglass.

Thanks
    Mane: it is a bit of everything: the crappy picture, your monitor and the fact that I cant go so dark with my pencils. The 8B is really dark but I can not cover the paper so that no light is emitting through it.

Marian, thanks for the nice words. Yes the picture is really bad. And so the new one is too.

From a photo of my Beethoven bust.
    This really makes fun!

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Ive added a new category on my website www.cast-drawing.com/exercises.html where you can practise copying from the Bargue drawings on your monitor.

If youd be so kind and test it in your browser and inform me of display errors. Ive tested it without problems with Seamonkey and Chrome.

Thanks and have fun with it!

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Hey man, nice job on the belvedere and beethoven. Those are looking sharp.

If there was one way I could say to improve, try to group the values together a little better. Some of the reflected light in your shadows seems too light. The shadows aren't grouping as well as you could do, methinks.

Your measuring is looking very good, though. Keep up the good work!

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Thank you for your feedback, jetpack.

I was surprised when I shot the photo that, for example, the eye area of the Beethoven was much lighter in my drawing then on the reference - but only on the photo. In reality this was not the case - the values were really close.

Next time Ill use an even heavier paper or something to cover up the light coming from the monitor because I think that this is the reason for the reflected lights to be too light. Maybe a better camera (used a cell phone camera) could help here too.

Actually I dont measure with a tool anymore - I just rough in the overall shape and work from the general to the specific. Its all about correction.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Ah yes, I've had that problem to some degree with taking photographs, where the values seem more stretched apart in the photo. Sometimes the differing sensitivity in the photo can help me to see small areas where I should unite the values a little better. In any case, please disregard my comments where technical translation is affecting the work.

In any case, looking great!

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Great stuff.

I think you're at this point where you can move slightly away from academic drawing and focus on something with more personal expression and freedom (unless drawing casts became your hobby )

Cheers.

Last edited by Farvus; July 5th, 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks
    Farvus: Im currently looking for an affordable studio space which is not an easy task where I live.

Id like to do mainly portraits and figure paintings which actually is not possible in my attic or in my basement.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Thanks for pointing me to your thread, bjoern. Goldmine of information here!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kolbenito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your technical drawing has improved a great deal from earlier posts, it would be nice though (and don't take this the wrong way) to see something looser that still has rigorous observation but is not so literal and replicated.

Thanks
    Haven't done any art for a long time, but yesterday I had to draw another selfportrait.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Hey Bjoern I am sorry to read you have not been doing any art, but baring that it mind I think this looks really good. I hope you are able to update again soon as I miss your posts.

Thanks
    Hey Marian.

Thanks for the kind words. I was quite busy with my new website (see signature) but now I have a little bit more time.

So here is the update you requested :-)

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Hey Bjoern I am pleased your drawing absence was still art related. I've been looking at your new website and it's really good. I will most certainly subscribe. When I get some spare cash I will also buy some casts from you to help. Are the geometric shapes made of plaster or plastic?

Also lovely drawing of the horse.

Thanks
    The geometric shapes are made of plaster.

Here's a Bargue drawing I made free hand without any sight size measuring:

www.cast-drawing.com

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bjoern3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Little update:

portrait of my girlfriend. Took me about 30-40 hours. Size is 50x60 cm.

Name:  Julia_Mai_2013_small.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  234.2 KB

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    I've been painting a lot in the last weeks.

The last one is an airbrush commision.

Name:  Selbstportrait 27_7_2013_lowquali_500px.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  222.5 KBName:  Pferd_lowquali_500px.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  113.8 KBName:  Johannes_HEADLINE_small.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  199.2 KBName:  1078929_10200953447470449_1317871239_o.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  399.1 KB

www.cast-drawing.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 10