Art: Classical Atelier at Home - Page 5

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just as an update for those who are interested.

While the first layer of paint is drying (see picture after 12 hours of work) I made a selfportrait in pencil (3/4 hour).

There is one thing with the Beethoven that I did not think of: my setup uses too much light so I am not able to hit the right chroma in the lit parts of the blue fabric (red fabric as well). So there are two solutions for this: buy the right pigments/paint for the high chroma lit parts or to live with it.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice, looks like your off to a great start!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys!

The Beethoven has to wait another day - today was selfportrait day (again)

1h - sorry for the poor quality

BTW today Ive cut my hair. I did not go to the barber for 17 years now - I do all by myself - saves a lot of money

My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love making GIFs for comparison. The picture at the end is after 16 hours of work. Unfortunately the GIF doesnt show all colors - its only 256.

And another self portrait for today.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another SP

Im not angry or so - Im just concentrated.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wish you the huge success
    you are really putting your soul into your artworks
    nice work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bjoern you seem to be slightly neglecting the lessons learnt in your cast studies in your sp's, try finding the core shadows and build unpon those (like in bargues plates/ initial cast drawing stages), you could push the darks further and by drawing onto a midtone create a richer drawer.
    I couldnt recomend enough http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artists-Comp.../dp/0823003590

also have a gander through ccsears sketchbook as there are great methods/tut and general pearls of wisdom in there http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100297

and his mentoring group crit thingy http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=117915&page=1

its looking good man keep it up

Chris.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sony Thank you very much! Took a look at your links in the sig - fantastic work there!

mysocksrock Thank you for your words. But I dont know if I understood you correctly. The cast drawing was done in charcoal which can be applied much darker - nearly black - than with graphite. So the shadows are much deeper. The same with the ink drawings in the 2nd of our links - with ink you can leave the paper white or go to black. User ccsears leaves a lot white in the skin. I try to be as close to the real values as possible (what is possible in 1 hour). So I dont leave anything white (except for the highlights). The last (yesterdays) SP had daylight from the side and without any highlights - the others had bulb light. You can easily recognise the darker areas under the eye sockets on the first three.

Did I understand you correctly?

Thank you for the links - very valuable information there - and of course great pics as well.

So for todays SP I tried to employ what you said - or at least what Ive understood.

EDIT : added a portrait of my girlfriend while she was watching a movie. Even then it is hard for her to keep the pose. She did her best. But the light was not the best.

Last edited by bjoern3000; February 24th, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
    www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is it - at least for a week or so - then I will go down to my basement and will check what still has to be done. But I am quite satisfied how it turned out. 22 hours have been spent so far on it.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks very nice, but perhaps for your next study set up the lighting with a shadow box? Plaster casts are so well suited to the lovely illusionistic qualities of forms appearing out of the darkness. Dorian Iten's cast studies are a wonderful example of this. That would probably also solve the chroma problem you had with the drapery if you decide to use it again in your next study.
    Oh and the last still life is fantastic- be careful with those ellipses though!

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Pariano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    glad to see you still rocking it bjoern!
    the beethoven turned out lovely
    great work !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Bjoern.

First of all; I really like your Beethoven study, but there are a few things I wish to point out.

First of all - there is too much detail. There is nothing wrong with having detail, but you need to know what you're doing for that to work. What you have done here is that you've gone into detail a bit too soon. What that does is that your result looks a bit more like a photoshop and not like actual paint.

Second: You have an edge problem. Its especially noticeable in the drapery in the background and here once again you've been trying to capture everything at once. Try making one-stroke brushstrokes and work from there. Look at Zorn and his drapery for examples.

A solution to some of you edge - and detail problem, is to try to make a quicksketch beforehand using a big brush(pick one suited for the job, and choose one size larger). What that does is that it forces you to look at the big picture. Then you at least have that before going in to detail. Hope that helps and I hope I haven't been to harsh on you

M.

Mmm! I love the smell of turp. in the morning!

Sketchbook!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lohre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Mads.

Thank you for your reply. And no, you are not too harsh.

But I tried to paint what I saw and this is pretty much, what I saw. I will think about what you have written.

Last edited by bjoern3000; March 11th, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
    www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bjoern, sorry my post wasnt exactly clear.
    I have been reading harold speed, practice and science of drawing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Sci...9371899&sr=8-1
    And it is AMAZING, you HAVE to read this book it will give you an entirely new perspective on drawing. He is a very clever man and you will learn alot. One thing I have found very useful is his chapters on mass vs line drawings, in which he points out that line drawings shouldnt use tonal ranges heavily as it wont work, being as the line destorys the illusion of 3dness. I feel with your self portraits you arent helping yourself by combining the two, if tonal/mass is your goal I find it useful to use a stronger direct light to bring better shadow/ contrast. Also adding a midtone background really pops your image.
    If line quality is what you are after H.Speed shows a way of using lines to express form,
    Classical Atelier at Home
    From book.

Also I found a few more plates from the net, here from the chapter Line Drawing: Practical
    A approach Im sure you are aware of, but here is the use of core shadows to define an image first, much like your cast studies.
    I hope you can understand why I have said you are "combining the two" and I believe now becaue of this book it is important to separate these methods, and appoarch images with an idea about what I want to do to other wise I could be trying to reveal mass where there is line and creating an unconvincing drawing.

Found book online, but reading from paper is always better than straining your eyes on a screen
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14264...-h/14264-h.htm

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, of course I have this Harold Speed Book on my hard drive and of course I never read it.

BUT since you recommended it to me I started reading. Thank you for that - mysocksrock!

This time Ive spent half a day on it and I made reference shots and did not work from the mirror.

www.cast-drawing.com

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjoern3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bjoern I've become a fan of your work and this last self portrait is especially good. It's got a very strong composition and I think it is your best one yet. Well done on working so hard your progress is very inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff bjoern, really has an imposing feel to it.
    You might want to push the cast shadows on the neck alittle more and the shadow side of your face. I think you are over compensating for the darkness of your beard (it might be a dark colour but maybe not a darker tone than your skin) on the shadow side and so the shadows are slightly held back, I do all the time.
    Have a think about if the beard/hair is really that dark on the front of your face (the light side) and does it have different tonal ranges on the shadow side.

maybe try blocking out the hair in the 3rd picture of my last post, it really helps me understand where the light is going to hit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow I was pointed in the direction of your sketchbook by Marian (above) and it did not disappoint! I'm blown away by your level of dedication and more than that, your ingenuity! I will definitely be checking out your busts and casts in a minute as I'm after something like that myself for the last few weeks.

Anyway, I too feel like these forums have given me a huge amount,and I can't express easily how grateful I am for this community.

Keep on working hard!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of those first (the ear, arm...) are very plastic. I saw them some while ago and they are very educational.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This first one is nearly finished. I dont know exactly but I think I worked for more than 20 hours on it.

Second: As I worked on this self portrait I realized that the nose is too long. I always tend to do this. I will finish this one though.

Third: So I tried a pencil self portrait with a different measuring technique. My girlfriend confirmed, that this fits much better to my actual facial anatomy.

As you can see Im not too lazy

Thank you all for your support - if its commenting on my thread or just watching.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update bjoern, it's good to see what you've been doing. I especially like the horse but the self portrait in the spider man costume is rather cool also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really nice stuff to dig in your work .... Loved looking through your thread !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your journey in this thread is a pleasure to look through.

I do agree that casts emerging from the darkness are more enjoyable then brightly lit casts. That is not to say that I don't enjoy your Bethoven, he is fantastic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all!

Ive worked more on the Spiderman self portrait - I think I can call this finished.

At least I dont know what more to do with it. The anatomy is not perfect so why should I spend more time on it?

Last edited by bjoern3000; October 26th, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
    www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done for working so hard as a self taught artist. Keep it going, your work is looking better and better.

Is your native language German? if so you MUST - if you havn't already - buy Gottfried Bammes Die Gestalt Des Menschen. It is by far the best series of figurative illustrations I have ever seen and I believe if it was translated to English it would become the industry standard (as I believe it is in Germany). I can't read German but I bought it because the illustrations had enough value on their own.

BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Marine_Blue!

Ive often read about this particular book here at CA.org.
    I always keep my eyes open when Im book stores or flea markets for all those books that are mentioned here in the forum.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A new selfportrait. In the last couple of weeks I started several SPs but this is the only one that was promising to turn out quite well. One of the others (not shown here) was done from a photograph and it had the usual distortions that I was not able to compensate while painting.

So I started this. I dont know how many hours I worked on it but it was done in a week.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm interested in doing some Bargue Plates myself, but I don't know much about them really. Could you tell me how I should get a hold of them? Do they come in a book, or do I order them individually? Thanks much, and I love the progress you've made! (I remember watching your thread when you started haha)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    www.cast-drawing.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9