Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Your journey in this thread is a pleasure to look through.

I do agree that casts emerging from the darkness are more enjoyable then brightly lit casts. That is not to say that I don't enjoy your Bethoven, he is fantastic!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thank you all!

I´ve worked more on the Spiderman self portrait - I think I can call this finished.

At least I don´t know what more to do with it. The anatomy is not perfect so why should I spend more time on it?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bjoern3000; October 26th, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
    www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Well done for working so hard as a self taught artist. Keep it going, your work is looking better and better.

Is your native language German? if so you MUST - if you havn't already - buy Gottfried Bammes Die Gestalt Des Menschen. It is by far the best series of figurative illustrations I have ever seen and I believe if it was translated to English it would become the industry standard (as I believe it is in Germany). I can't read German but I bought it because the illustrations had enough value on their own.

BLOG

Thanks
    Thank you, Marine_Blue!

I´ve often read about this particular book here at CA.org.
    I always keep my eyes open when I´m book stores or flea markets for all those books that are mentioned here in the forum.

My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    A new selfportrait. In the last couple of weeks I started several SPs but this is the only one that was promising to turn out quite well. One of the others (not shown here) was done from a photograph and it had the usual distortions that I was not able to compensate while painting.

So I started this. I dont know how many hours I worked on it but it was done in a week.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    I'm interested in doing some Bargue Plates myself, but I don't know much about them really. Could you tell me how I should get a hold of them? Do they come in a book, or do I order them individually? Thanks much, and I love the progress you've made! (I remember watching your thread when you started haha)

Thanks
    www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    thanks a ton pal

Thanks

Ecorche

Hi.

Actually this is not really traditionally made. I started with pencil, inked it, scanned it and colored it in Photoshop.
    The front figure is completely done from memory but for the rear view I had to look up for some muscles.

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Very impressive paintings. Your initiative and drive to pursue skills in this method is really quite admirable and you've achieved great results.

Last edited by N D Hill; June 13th, 2012 at 08:39 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Classical Atelier meets digital media

I wanted to do some figure drawings. As everyone knows: printers never work. If you ran out of ink - and even if it´s yellow - you can´t print in black and white.

So I wanted to use my laptop´s screen for displaying the reference and for drawing besides the reference I needed some translucent an sturdy material. I took the glass plate of an IKEA picture frame. I taped the edges with artists tape because the edges were quite sharp and I did not want my laptop to be scratched. After I´ve sent this post, I´m going to buy some plexi glass.

I took a Bargue drawing of a standing man. Opened it in a picture viewer, placed it to the left. Then came the glass plate and the 185g/m² drawing paper. Thinner paper is good for placing the drawing over the reference for comparison but I found the heavier paper good for covering up the light coming from the screen. The laptop was about an arm lenght away. For the final step of the drawing I placed it closer to my eyes since I did not need an overall view of the drawing then.

I always worked from the general to the specific. The first 5 minutes were spent to roughly define the size and angles of everything. To not beeing too dark I used an H pencil.

Since the lines were so light I did not need to knock off the lines with an eraser for the next round. 10 minutes spent on making clearer lines with a B pencil while correcting their position and lenght.

Then I knocked off the lines with a kneadable eraser by rolling it over the drawing.

Another 15 minutes with correcting lines. Then switched to a 4B pencil to make darker lines. Between this and the last round, knocked off drawing again and then making careful clean final lines.

Total time: 1h 20min

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    The first one is a Bargue figure drawing from yesterday, the second is the Belvedere Torso made today in about 4 hours. Got a plexi glass plate now.

This makes so much fun but my shoulder is sore now

www.cast-drawing.com

Thanks
    Looking good man,
    you could really push those darks more, for example comparing the belvedere torso plate. It could be just be the picture or my monitor.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13